Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Diogo Costa at Porto should be the keeper we’re looking to sign this window. Has everything in his game that Ten Hag seeks that Dave lacks. Has taken over as Portugals number 1 aged 22. Believe 40 million would secure his services.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He is great for me on eFootball 2023 so on that basis alone we should sign him.

But he is also very good, sweeps up outside of his area and extremely good distributing the ball. Would be a good signing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I made a point to watch him during the recent Nations League games and I must say I wasn’t particularly impressed. Will try to watch more to form a proper opinion.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Diogo?
Is that the Portuguese way of spelling Diego?

Anyway I've seen him play and from the little I've seen i say he's pretty decent, goalkeepers seem to not face the problem of having to adjust to other leagues as much as other positions do so definitely one to look out for.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I liked what I saw of him last year - superb on the ball. His shot stopping appeared to be mixed though, saw one incredible game where he was a wall but a couple of others where he looked a bit sketchy. I assume he will continue to improve and become more consistent as he gets older though, certainly wouldn't be averse to signing him if the scouts and coaches think he's ready.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
@SportingCP96

what do you think of this Porto lad mate?
He’s good but not quite ready for a move. Best shot stopper in the league but needs to work on commanding the box more and when to come out for crosses. Also quite decent with the ball in his feet. He has been the starting keeper for Portugal for some time now.

Still too early to tell what his ceiling could be to be honest.

avgp_1

Was brilliant tonight. A Penalty saved and this

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Dumfries? Is he really the answer
Not if we're playing a back four, he's not. Would be quite nice to see Gakpo score past someone other than Eredivisie cloggers before we proclaim him better than Rashford and Sancho as well tbh.

3KDré

I've not seen anything of this guy but the Brighton keeper Sanchez has blown me away with his distribution when I've seen him. I'd say he looks better with the ball than the likes of Alisson and Ederson in the some of the games I've seen.
I think if we could get anyone he would be my number 1 choice, but he would definitely cost ~£70m.

SAF is the GOAT

He has a clause of 52m pounds next summer - Does a keeper worth that much ? because I don't think so....

berbasloth4

Why consider replacing probably the best goalkeeper in the world? If you are a goalkeeper you job is to stop balls going into the net. Give Allison Emerson neuer oblak etc they same wouldn't do half the job de gea does.. if we won a little more under de gea he could easily go down as our greatest keeper ever

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why consider replacing probably the best goalkeeper in the world? If you are a goalkeeper you job is to stop balls going into the net. Give Allison Emerson neuer oblak etc they same wouldn't do half the job de gea does.. if we won a little more under de gea he could easily go down as our greatest keeper ever
Because the manager. Our manager wants to play from the back and a progressive style from the back, then it means we need a keeper who is good on the ball and composed on the ball to play the way how he wants to build his team to win trophies. De Gea cannot do the job to progress us to the next level of how ten Hag wants us to play.

RkkMan

First of all we're in 2022 not 2018 De Gea isn't the best GK ITW
Second of all De Gea's mistakes since the WC have been equally as costly as that as our defenfers and NO if you put other GKs in our team they'd do better because they're better all rounded GKs
Your logic works both ways put De Gea in Liverpool, City or Bayern's team and their levels drop down by at least 40% because their current GKs offer a hell lot more than just shot stopping something Utd need to address from 2023

flappyjay

First of all we're in 2022 not 2018 De Gea isn't the best GK ITW
Second of all De Gea's mistakes since the WC have been equally as costly as that as our defenfers and NO if you put other GKs in our team they'd do better because they're better all rounded GKs
Your logic works both ways put De Gea in Liverpool, City or Bayern's team and their levels drop down by at least 40% because their current GKs offer a hell lot more than just shot stopping something Utd need to address from 2023
If he commands his box we concede less chances from set pieces. If he is good with his feet we stop losing possession from going long. Both defensively and attacking wise we need a new keeper.

largelyworried

Still amazes me that people have somehow missed De Gea's huge decline in the last 4 seasons.

avgp_1

His performance vs Leverkusen in the CL games

izec

Because De Gea's career is over at United next summer.

WirralRed

Not saw this guy, everyone seems to be talking about his passing, what’s his shot stopping like? Dose he control his area?

EtH

The myth of Skinny Dave continues.

JB7

No white text?

Lux Thunder

His performance vs Leverkusen in the CL games

Well, that is what I call a world-class performance at a high level. His ability to stay calm in possession to spot opponents' press shape (quite narrow in this game) and play perfect passes to progress out wide is excellent and something De Gea would struggle to do and our build-up will be over before it even started. His long-pass distributions were also perfectly executed.

Seriously, if someone doesn't see how goalkeepers like Costa or Sanchez would improve us they should just stop watching this sport. It's not even an "ETH's style" thing, it's what the game demands from you these days if you want to be successful at a high level. IMO De Gea was never a world-class goalkeeper. World-class shot-stopper - yes, but with the overall ability with dealing with set pieces, commanding and distribution in my mind, he was never reliable and a reliable goalkeeper is half of a team.

Moving on from DDG to Sanchez or Costa would benefit this club both on and off the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.