Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

RkkMan

That’s all well and good, apart from Laird. He has no business on your list of deadwood and should be given a fair chance to develop under ETH. He’s impressed in all age groups and in all his loans so far, and has a real chance at making it at United.
If rumors of Jeremie Frimpong are correct Laird is done at Utd
He's not getting ahead of a new signing(that's Dutch) and Dalot on current form set to sign a new contract

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If rumors of Jeremie Frimpong are correct Laird is done at Utd
He's not getting ahead of a new signing(that's Dutch) and Dalot on current form set to sign a new contract
What makes us think they are correct though? Centre forward is the really pressing issue plus anybody we identify as an outstanding talent we can't miss out on. Not sure Frimpong would fall into that category really...

Young CB in and get shut of Maguire would seem like a good idea to me as well, if he can cover RB even better.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
My biggest problem with that is probably that he is not more modern than de Gea. He is not better either.

But I would really love to have a more proactive goalkeeper again. During the Ferguson-era we played with quite aggressive proactive goalkeepers like Schmeichel, Barthez and van der Sar. I think the biggest exception to the rule was de Gea. And I also think that was the worst period of Fergusons era in terms of the football we played. Perhaps a bit concidental, but the style of the goalkeeper matter.

Of course, the quality of the goalkeeper is more important than anything. But I would be willing to sacrifice a few great saves for a goalkeeper more willing to step of the line. I think goalkeepers that do will prevent quite a few situations from arising. If that goalkeeper can pass the ball well to that would be a big bonus.
Actually Diogo Costa is quite a good passer. His ball control is not that good, I'll give you that, but his passing is actually accurate.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
You make it sound like that is de Gea's decision when it's Ten Hag's.
Managers have an input on this decisions, but the final call is usually done by the Director of Football in most top clubs, so not sure how will De Gea future on our club will end.

HookedOnAPhelan

De Gea has been doing so well and improved in so many aspects lately that I kind of want him to stay if he keeps it up. But obviously he'll need to substantially reduce his wages.

wolvored

De Gea has been doing so well and improved in so many aspects lately that I kind of want him to stay if he keeps it up. But obviously he'll need to substantially reduce his wages.
Perhaps this is the problem. Say Utd have already sounded him out on 200/250k a week and he has turned it down. We would have to look at other goalies, otherwise as you say he has improved.

Demaw

Perhaps this is the problem. Say Utd have already sounded him out on 200/250k a week and he has turned it down. We would have to look at other goalies, otherwise as you say he has improved.
No one is going to offer him anything above 200k. He just got left out in a 52 man Spanish squad and his age is an issue. His game is not what coaches want anymore. He'd be lucky to get 150k maximum. No huge club would sign him.

wolvored

No one is going to offer him anything above 200k. He just got left out in a 52 man Spanish squad and his age is an issue. His game is not what coaches want anymore. He'd be lucky to get 150k maximum. No huge club would sign him.
Im saying Utd offering that. Cutting his salary. I know he wont get that anywhere else, but maybe his pride and embarrassment might make him turn a significant lower offer by Utd down.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Strange one with de Gea but the ball is in our court, I think a few are correct in saying that it will be difficult for him to get anything north of £150,000 a week.

He is due for £375,000 a week if we trigger his extra year, so maybe tell him we don't intend to trigger that but offer him £150,000 for 2 years. He gets slightly less over a more years and will play less and less but if he takes it the right way and continues the improvements he has shown over the course of the year then it could be a smart move.

As far as Costa goes, I think he is great, I would love to get him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's always about priorities since there will always be financial or budgetary constraints.
Is replacing DDG the highest priority next summer?
I say not.
Always comes down to availability. Diogo Costa seems like the perfect next goalkeeper, who might be on the move next summer. We can't miss out on that. Liverpool have Allison, City have Ederson, Madrid have Courtois, PSG Donnarumma, Barca have Ter Stegen... It's us and Chelsea fighting for a goalkeeper I feel like. We can't let them get Costa ahead of us.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Always comes down to availability. Diogo Costa seems like the perfect next goalkeeper, who might be on the move next summer. We can't miss out on that. Liverpool have Allison, City have Ederson, Madrid have Courtois, PSG Donnarumma, Barca have Ter Stegen... It's us and Chelsea fighting for a goalkeeper I feel like. We can't let them get Costa ahead of us.
I still say a top striker is a higher priority (than replacing DDG/a ETH-type goalie). That's probably 80-100m out of a 120m budget? If Costa is available in a couple of summer's time then fine.

Overcoming DDG's deficiencies for another season is a lot easier to sustain than a system that currently creates a lot of chances but has a low conversion rate.

dinostar77

Chelsea have mendy.

SinNombre

Realistically we will likely go for Costa in the summer if the fee is right (say 40m). We will sell Henderson for 20m if Forest can stay up, and see if DDG is up for re-signing at a lower wages (say 150k for 3 years that keeps him at the club hopefully long enough to win a league title again).

SAF is the GOAT

Realistically we will likely go for Costa in the summer if the fee is right (say 40m). We will sell Henderson for 20m if Forest can stay up, and see if DDG is up for re-signing at a lower wages (say 150k for 3 years that keeps him at the club hopefully long enough to win a league title again).
From what I know he has a 52m pounds release clause. I don't think that Porto will sell him for less.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think if there's a limited budget and the priority is a striker, then it could be argued that it makes even more sense to sell Henderson and release DdG. Which could bring in around £20m for selling Henderson and we'd be getting £500k a week off the wage bill.

And if we factor in Ronaldo leaving aswell, then that's a £ million a week off the wage bill and we've also potentially received £20m for Henderson via a transfer fee.

So signing a new keeper by just moving both Henderson and DdG on, would possibly leave more funds for a striker.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
77 touches in the game against Atletico Madrid, which was the most in the game. I've also noticed that he's comfortable playing passes with either foot, which is another advantage of having him in the build up phase. And like the tweets below state, he's excelling at all four disciplines which make him a complete keeper.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think if there's a limited budget and the priority is a striker, then it could be argued that it makes even more sense to sell Henderson and release DdG. Which could bring in around £20m for selling Henderson and we'd be getting £500k a week off the wage bill.

And if we factor in Ronaldo leaving aswell, then that's a £ million a week off the wage bill and we've also potentially received £20m for Henderson via a transfer fee.

So signing a new keeper by just moving both Henderson and DdG on, would possibly leave more funds for a striker.
It would leave more room in the wage budget, for sure. But can we sell Henderson for 20m with him being on 120K? Releasing Dave from that contract is a no-brainer. I doubt he'd sign a much much lower contract either. I'd rather fix all the parts to make sure we've got a team capable of playing ETH's style of football than go all out for the costliest striker available. I think a hard working #9 is sufficient. But that keeper is an opportunity not to miss.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It would leave more room in the wage budget, for sure. But can we sell Henderson for 20m with him being on 120K? Releasing Dave from that contract is a no-brainer. I doubt he'd sign a much much lower contract either. I'd rather fix all the parts to make sure we've got a team capable of playing ETH's style of football than go all out for the costliest striker available. I think a hard working #9 is sufficient. But that keeper is an opportunity not to miss.
Your guess is as good as mine mate. But i'd like to think Henderson wouldn't want to stick around to play second fiddle to Diogo Costa or anyone else for that matter.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Conceded direct from a corner tonight?
He did and it looked like a possible mistake to me, until I saw the replay and it was a own goal by the Porto player, Marcano, who got a touch on the cross which diverted the ball away from Costa and into the net.

Last edited:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Thought he looked class tonight. First time I’ve seen him second half. Seems to have an aura about him. Only issue is I feel we need 2 attackers, a CM and at least a RB - possibly a CB too if Maguire doesn’t improve in this ETH system so spending 40m on a keeper may not be doable and keeping De Gea an extra year could be more prudent.

mav_9me

Thought he looked class tonight. First time I’ve seen him second half. Seems to have an aura about him. Only issue is I feel we need 2 attackers, a CM and at least a RB - possibly a CB too if Maguire doesn’t improve in this ETH system so spending 40m on a keeper may not be doable and keeping De Gea an extra year could be more prudent.
I don't disagree but obviously we have to figure out the priorities. For me the money saved from DDG wages, Henderson transfer fee should go to Costa, as it sounds like he is an obvious cannot miss GK.

Erik the Red

We have to be clever in the market and focus on the absolute key players we want to bring in, and get freebies or rely on the kids for the other requirements. So if De Gea and Henderson both leave, spend to get the right first choice (maybe Costa), and get an experienced backup on a free. Sell Maguire and bring in Ndicka as cover on a free. Try to sell Wan Bissaka and use Laird as cover. Then we can spend big on a CM and a striker like Osimhen, and a cheap back up like Brobbey. I have a feeling ETH will bring in Gakpo (£30m?) as an experimental striker instead of Osimhen, as that would give him the budget for a CM.

AndyMUFC

Spurs absolutely deserved to concede that goal. Awful half from them, like a bad Mourinho game under us. No need to play like that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ultimately you just have to trust ETH's ability to determine how much of a priority replacing De Gea is relative to everything else. If he decides De Gea has improved enough to earn a new contract and we're better off improving other areas of the team then that's that really.

But at least we're in a position where if ETH does decide that moving Dave on is a priority then it will be very easy to do so and there's a seemingly top class talent obtainable. So the option is there at least.

lenny_1248

This guy should be a priority signing for the club.
Which probably means they will just extend DDG. We will regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.