Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This would be my first Choice to replace DDG. Not sure if we’re even in the market for a 1st choice keeper though this summer as ETH keeps saying he wants to keep DDG and he won’t stay to be back up.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This would be my first Choice to replace DDG. Not sure if we’re even in the market for a 1st choice keeper though this summer as ETH keeps saying he wants to keep DDG and he won’t stay to be back up.
4 days till his contract expires though, you'd think it would have been resolved by now if he was super keen on him staying.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
4 days till his contract expires though, you'd think it would have been resolved by now if he was super keen on him staying.
True. But you’re forgetting how we do things. Last minute. We’ll wait until the seasons finished.

daba

Sell Dean Henderson for £30M, £35M net for a top talent GK will justify itself for the next 5-8 years.
Add in the saving on both of their waves and we’re probably in profit. Makes far too much sense.

Rolaholic

Most of the reports claim that the club is in dire need of a cash injection this summer, could they potentially come off the high valuation a bit in favor of a smaller sum but more guaranteed money?

croadyman

This is the guy I want to replace De Gea,however looking at the price I would be stunned to see it happen this summer

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Sell Henderson for 30m & sign this guy for 60.

We should do the same with CB’s. Use our sales of Maguire to pay off transfers of Kim to United.

mufc_sd

I've translated the article using GPT-4 which should be somewhat accurate.

Goodbye, Diogo Costa: destination likely to be the Premier League

Diogo Costa's cycle of service at FC Porto appears to be at an end. The 23-year-old goalkeeper is expected to continue his career in the Premier League, where he is desired by Manchester United, a club that is willing to pay the young player's release clause of 75 million euros following his latest contract renewal.

Represented by Jorge Mendes, who has significant influence in English football, the number 99 of the dragons has long been followed by the club where Portuguese players Diogo Dalot and Bruno Fernandes play. They may soon be more than just national team companions, donning the same colors for the 2023/2024 season.

Diogo Costa completed his second championship as the starting goalkeeper for FC Porto with a record, as he played a total of 16 games without conceding a single goal, surpassing his record from the 2021/2022 season. Interestingly, he ended the season with the same number of goals conceded (22) in the league, but this time he was unable to help FC Porto maintain the least beaten defense in the competition, a status won by Benfica.

The keeper from the blue and white team likely said his goodbyes playing for FC Porto in the recent game against V. Guimarães, given the closed and sad face he showed at the end of the game and when the fans, especially the Super Dragons, applauded the team's effort until the last second of the championship…

Rolaholic

De Gea off then of that's true?

I'd be genuinely shocked if we had 75m to stump up for a keeper given our other needs.

Would definitely go a long way for us though, both City and Liverpool broke the transfer record for keeper with Ederson and Allison at their respective times and both were transformational signings for them.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Sell Henderson for 30m & sign this guy for 60.

We should do the same with CB’s. Use our sales of Maguire to pay off transfers of Kim to United.
Not happening, DDG is staying so there's no way Costa's coming in

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He wont be at Porto next season. So if we really want him, it has to be this summer

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not happening, DDG is staying so there's no way Costa's coming in
I don’t know - it feels like Ten Hag wants two quality players for each position & it’s the only reason he is asking De Gea to stay.

Blood Mage

Bullshit, we're not about to let De Gea go after winning a golden glove and he's too good to be our no.2 so we'd have to sell him. Not happening.

Rolaholic

Bullshit, we're not about to let De Gea go after winning a golden glove and he's too good to be our no.2 so we'd have to sell him. Not happening.
He doesn't officially have a new contract yet so he could potentially be out of contract by July.

The gaffers comments even after he won the golden glove make it sound like he's interested in trying something different between the sticks.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Would be the type of signing that signifies we are getting serious about things again.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don’t know - it feels like Ten Hag wants two quality players for each position & it’s the only reason he is asking De Gea to stay.
Unless DDG has taken a massive pay cut to like 100K per week or less I can't see any other scenario where he and Costa are at United

Castia

Would be my main target this summer alongside a top striker

Potential to be one of the best in the world

daba

Ideally would like to see Diogo come in and Kovar return from his loan as the No. 2.

De Gea not renewed and Henderson sold for £25m. With the amount saved on wages the net damage on our finances wouldn’t be much at all.

Baneofthegame

Ideally would like to see Diogo come in and Kovar return from his loan as the No. 2.

De Gea not renewed and Henderson sold for £25m. With the amount saved on wages the net damage on our finances wouldn’t be much at all.
Yeah I'd be happy with that, 25 million saved in wages and 25 million fee for Henderson, basically covers the outlay on costa for 45-50 million euros.

L1nk

This was ETH in that recent interview, De Gea is staying whether we all like it or not and we are not spunking 75million Euro’s on Diogo Costa just to be competition with De Gea, which he won’t accept either.

So you can all atop coming up with dream scenarios that won’t happen this summer. If DDG was definitely leaving and we sold Henderson it’s a no brainer but judging from ETH’s words and recent scouting reports its far more likely we go for a cheaper young keeper who is about to break through that can push DDG out within a couple of seasons

daba

This was ETH in that recent interview, De Gea is staying whether we all like it or not and we are not spunking 75million Euro’s on Diogo Costa just to be competition with De Gea, which he won’t accept either.

So you can all atop coming up with dream scenarios that won’t happen this summer. If DDG was definitely leaving and we sold Henderson it’s a no brainer but judging from ETH’s words and recent scouting reports its far more likely we go for a cheaper young keeper who is about to break through that can push DDG out within a couple of seasons
Let us dream man.

Oranges038

He wont be at Porto next season. So if we really want him, it has to be this summer
Top club options that can afford him are all set in that position right now.

Where can he go? Is there another top team out there that really needs a keeper that would cost as much as him? Arsenal? Chelsea?

NickSantigo

I'm calling BS on activating the release clause
If we acitivate the release clause we have to pay the full amount up front iirc as opposed to installements and add ons such as appearances.
we can't afford to drop the full 66m this summer

mufc_sd

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Ederson went for £45M in 2017, Alisson went for £62M just a year later. Given that we could potentially sell Dean Henderson for around £30M that will result in net spend of around £35M which is really a bargain, if we want to compete at the highest level, this move is necessary. We simply can't afford to go into the next season with DDG as the first choice.

davidmichael

I wonder if Porto would accept a bid of higher than the release clause but spread out over 5 years instead ?

If the release clause is €75 million then offer €85 million which I think is £73 million and over 5 years is €17 million or £14.6 million a year on the balance sheet and what shows up on our yearly FFP and is less a year than De Gea’s current wages and only a few million off of what De Gea is apparently offered to remain.

mufc_sd

If we acitivate the release clause we have to pay the full amount up front iirc as opposed to installements and add ons such as appearances.
we can't afford to drop the full 66m this summer
Apparently, this is not true, Chelsea didn't pay the release clause for Enzo Fernández upfront, they are doing the same with Manuel Ugarte.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Are you lot for real? He's obviously not going to come out say de gea is no2 next season if he stays, but that's exactly the situation.

No club with aspirations for trophies is taking de gea as their No1 at this point in his career so I can see him dropping down to no2 for united and him being happy with it for a season or two. He's been dropped a couple times during his united career and never made a fuss.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I wonder if Porto would accept a bid of higher than the release clause but spread out over 5 years instead ?

If the release clause is €75 million then offer €85 million which I think is £73 million and over 5 years is €17 million or £14.6 million a year on the balance sheet and what shows up on our yearly FFP and is less a year than De Gea’s current wages and only a few million off of what De Gea is apparently offered to remain.
They need money, there's no way we're paying the release clause or more than it.

davidmichael

They need money, there's no way we're paying the release clause or more than it.
I don’t know the full in’s and out’s of their financial situation, how bad is it ? Do they have any deadlines for when they need a cash injection by ? Would it be June 30th like Chelsea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.