Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlikely lad

Jose got it right on this one. Need to see him at RB a bit more to assess how he is in defence, but he’s been incredible.

sherrinford

Dalot is the best RB at the club. He should be playing there. Young gets beaten regularly and offers nothing in attack. Greenwood needs to get games at RW in a front 3. He's better passer and dribbler than Lingard and Mata. It would be wasteful to spend 150m on a RB and RW in the summer transfer window instead of coaching up immense talents like Dalot and Greenwood. For clubs that take pride in developing young talent like Manchester United, if you're good enough you're old enough.
If Greenwood is good enough and that is actually a viable position for him then that might help the balance of the team greatly.

Looking at Solskaer’s choices to date, I don’t see Young being permanently benched and Chong would appear to be higher on the pecking order than Greenwood even if Dalot was to be selected more consistently at full back. I hope Diogo is first choice on the right wing for the rest of the season, rather than Mata or Lingard coming back in with any regularity there.

He could have a future at right wing. He's young enough to make the transition and he looks great every time he plays there.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He changed the game last night. His defending was spot on, they couldn't beat him 1 on 1 and it just closed off that threat that they had before he came on. Well done Solskjaer for making the change when he did.

Loved it when he put Bernat on his backside with step overs when he made the cut back that they cut out. He's actually performing better than the likes of Sanchez on attack. If we can harness that into an attacking RB and get that new RW then our right hand side will be dangerous. I'd love to see him and Sancho occupying those spots.

The Purley King

I’ll probably get laughed at for this but I think he’s pretty similar to Gareth Bale when Bale was 19.
He’s not as explosively fast but his touch is fantastic, he can put a good cross in, not afraid to shoot from distance and he’s an excellent dribbler.
Hopefully he progresses in the same way (without the injuries)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Surely only a matter of time before Dalot replaces Ashley Young in the starting XI?

steakpie

I think he will end up as a right back, but it's just nice to have a natural right footer who can cross and dribble attacking down our right side.

He's 19 which is remarkable.

podurban2

This kid is going to be a star! He must start for us against Arsenal, and keep that spot.

Thisistheone

Got something about him by the looks. Great impact last night and the only one who appealled for the pen at the end? Seems smart and switched on

dablem_10

why to convert him? Didnt we wanted modern attacking wingback? I think thats his best position long term, he can play wing is only advantage. Imagine having sancho/felix/whoever on right wing, he would come even better. Comparission with bale are strange. If he could be Marcelo/Dani Alves type i wouldnt be against :D

RedIan

Clearly a very good right wingback, made a couple of strange decisions last night that almost undid all his good stuff. That pass back was weird. Nicely bombing down the wing had plenty of space to continue, then a brain fart "must stop and hoof it backwards 40 yds to a psg forward"
Must admit i screamed wtf are you doing. However im sure he will learn. Looks great on the ball.

The Purley King

why to convert him? Didnt we wanted modern attacking wingback? I think thats his best position long term, he can play wing is only advantage. Imagine having sancho/felix/whoever on right wing, he would come even better. Comparission with bale are strange. If he could be Marcelo/Dani Alves type i wouldnt be against :D
Bale was a left back for the first few years of his career, he only moved to a winger later on.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Still not sure he should be starting Right back in a back 4. He was great last night doubling with A.Young. He is very good with the ball! Apart from that pass he made to Mbappe he was very good

Classical Mechanic

I wasn't impressed initially, aside from his great footwork. He is improving. That said he made some bad rookie errors last night, that pass to Mbappe and a terrible throw in 20 yards back that Young mis-controlled and led to a PSG attack. Ole was coaching him through the game from the sidelines, similar to how Mourinho did with Shaw in the past. He shows great character and fearlessness so I'd back him to become an excellent player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Jose got it right on this one. Need to see him at RB a bit more to assess how he is in defence, but he’s been incredible.
Exactly this. His attacking game is excellent so it is time for him to start playing on the right. We need to know do we need new rb or not.

I wasn't impressed initially, aside from his great footwork. He is improving. That said he made some bad rookie errors last night, that pass to Mbappe and a terrible throw in 20 yards back that Young mis-controlled and led to a PSG attack. Ole was coaching him through the game from the sidelines, similar to how Mourinho did with Shaw in the past. He shows great character and fearlessness so I'd back him to become an excellent player.
Big paws on a puppy is the best way to describe him. He could turn into something special with the attitude he appears to have. It takes a lot of confidence to attempt that pass that went to Mbappe. Granted he screwed it up, but he will learn and the key is he wasn't afraid to try.

Sigma

Saw a post match interview where his English was flawless. Obviously a smart lad. We’ve improved as a team in each of his last two sub appearances, which reflects well on him.

Anyone got a gif of him absolutely rinsing their LB? @GifLord
Pretty sure Portguese people learn English at school. A bunch of Portuguese players can speak very good English, especially the younger generation.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Saw a post match interview where his English was flawless. Obviously a smart lad. We’ve improved as a team in each of his last two sub appearances, which reflects well on him.

Anyone got a gif of him absolutely rinsing their LB? @GifLord
Was posted on the 44th page

Brightonian

I don't like this RW talk, just because he's shown he can attack. RB is primarily an attacking position these days, and while he's had one shaky game defensively he's also shown he has the tools to defend well. He looks a textbook modern fullback to me.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
what a signing. he's got something.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't like this RW talk, just because he's shown he can attack. RB is primarily an attacking position these days, and while he's had one shaky game defensively he's also shown he has the tools to defend well. He looks a textbook modern fullback to me.
I second this. Besides, once Martial and Jesse return, he will struggle to get in on the wing.

sp_107

In last 2 interviews he showed so much maturity that I could see him as our captain in future.

He got everything what he wants to be except he is too handsome to become an united legend ;)

gr3yham3

I don't see why not. If his attacking qualities are stronger than his defensive ones, and it sure seems that way, I would love to see him doing a "Bale" and be pushed up to be a fixture on the RW for us. His stepovers are smooth as butter and he packs a good shot as we have seen so far. His height makes him a threat in the box and he will be able to help out defensively on the right flank when needed. His age makes it more than plausible for him to make the switch to RW comfortably too. If he makes the transition successfully and we get in a class RB like Wan-Bissaka, then we will have our right wing sorted for years.

Pass and Move

As a couple of other posters have mentioned, he’s definitely ‘got something about him’. A Marcelo style cockiness perhaps. Exciting prospect.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't know how good he will be. But one thing I can say, comparing him with Ricardo Pereira, Nelson Semedo or Cancelo with the same age, no doubt on my mind he has more potential than them.

Just check this link on Wiki go down and check the names on the defensive line of the Team of the Tournament. On the same page check the name of the goalscorers on the Semifinals vs the Dutch and the Final vs Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship

Only to add this tournament was on May and 2 months later he was on the Under 19 tournament in Germany where he lost the Semifinal vs France with a certain Mbappé.

1 year later he was on the under 20 WC, he still can play this one, not sure he will be there. And he has a lot of games on the Youth League.

It was based on this he was signed. United scouts were not sleeping. I might add they were very smart on signing him because they knew his release clause was on 20 or 25 million euros, and if he renewed his contract with Porto, presumably he would replace Ricardo Pereira who went for Leicester and the price would skyrocket.

Of course I can be wrong on this one. Don't know if he will be converted to a winger or not, but he looks to have that certain Porto attitude and personality regarding competition, so he will only fail if he has bad luck with injuries imo.

Mistakes will hapen during his trajectory, lets see if with a proper pre season he will improve, keep in mind he stopped 6 months and had no preseason, maybe had some impact.

Enough for now, hopefully I am right on this one.

Devil may care

He's not a RW in 4-3-3 IMO, in that formation it's a real forwards role, but in a flat or diamond 4-4-2 where he's more of a RM like Becks? Yes, I think he can develop there.

manunited1919

I just hope Ole doesn’t make him a starter vs Arsenal. Bring him as a sub to change game.

BurtSpangle

Really? Shaw's technical skills don't seem that bad to me.
Ridiculous comment on Shaw. Obviously didn't see the Palace game
He's technically a level above Shaw. Shaw is a solid defender but offensively he's really poor. Glad to see Dalot doing well. His technical qualities immediately impressed me in his first game. I think you have to overlook some defensive lapses if he can provide such an attacking threat down the right hand side.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I just hope Ole doesn’t make him a starter vs Arsenal. Bring him as a sub to change game.
Eh? if anything he's been one of our best players the last 2 games.

Young RB and Dalot RW will be fine. Not like we have any other better choice.

Adamsk7

I don’t think we should use him as a RW, I think it’s quite clear that he has enough defensive aptitude to play RB and be that swashbuckling attacking fullback we’ve needed there for a long time. His attacking attributes are getting the attention at the moment but when he came on, he locked down that right hand side that was basically an open door in to our defence!

He’s gonna make mistakes defensively but we have to play him and let him improve. Putting him at right wing because we don’t 100% trust him defensively right now would be a real waste!

Reactions: Invictus

Silas

I don't see why not. If his attacking qualities are stronger than his defensive ones, and it sure seems that way, I would love to see him doing a "Bale" and be pushed up to be a fixture on the RW for us. His stepovers are smooth as butter and he packs a good shot as we have seen so far. His height makes him a threat in the box and he will be able to help out defensively on the right flank when needed. His age makes it more than plausible for him to make the switch to RW comfortably too. If he makes the transition successfully and we get in a class RB like Wan-Bissaka, then we will have our right wing sorted for years.
That's the same for most attacking fullbacks. Imagine Real thinking it was better to play Marcelo as a LW. As great as he has been, he doesn't (at least yet) have the end product of a forward, so it doesn't really make sense. He'll always be a good option there, but I don't see him developing into one of the best forwards in the world like Sancho could.

Revan

Assumptionman
He should start from now on, easily better than Young. Sure, he will have the occasional stinker, but he will have also many great matches.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
100000% this

Status
Not open for further replies.