Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
How have some of you so early in his career made him be a "RB for sure"? I can't believe some people a week ago were annoyed at Ole playing him on the right wing.

Thing is he is still young enough to claim either position. Bale did the transition much later in his career. And honestly, I see him having a better future as a right winger than a right back right now (only because he hasn't been tested there yet for me).

The guy has really good ball control and crazy good cross on him. Something you don't see a lot nowadays. I don't buy this whole "modern day" talk. Doesn't matter what other teams do or how they play. I know it's all about wide attackers now rather than classic wingers, but if we have a player that can be a proper classical winger putting in cross after cross then why not!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I hate this winger talk. We have been complaining for years that our fullbacks are crap in attack. One comes along and we want to convert him. Let his defensive qualities grow as he matures and get a great player playing in front of him on the pitch.

Rajma

I hate this winger talk. We have been complaining for years that our fullbacks are crap in attack. One comes along and we want to convert him. Let his defensive qualities grow as he matures and get a great player playing in front of him on the pitch.
Yeah it’s nonsense, he’s a proper modern fullback we were crying for and complements Shaw who’s more defensive minded on the other side really well and is going to give us that nice balance.

cyberman

How have some of you so early in his career made him be a "RB for sure"? I can't believe some people a week ago were annoyed at Ole playing him on the right wing.

Thing is he is still young enough to claim either position. Bale did the transition much later in his career. And honestly, I see him having a better future as a right winger than a right back right now (only because he hasn't been tested there yet for me).

The guy has really good ball control and crazy good cross on him. Something you don't see a lot nowadays. I don't buy this whole "modern day" talk. Doesn't matter what other teams do or how they play. I know it's all about wide attackers now rather than classic wingers, but if we have a player that can be a proper classical winger putting in cross after cross then why not!
Na, it's easier to find a top wideman than a top, attacking fullback.

Anustart89

Pretty sure Portguese people learn English at school. A bunch of Portuguese players can speak very good English, especially the younger generation.
Yeah but even then, all young Portuguese kids don't speak English as well as he does, so his proficiency speaks volumes about his intelligence and ability to learn stuff.

For example, here in Sweden everyone gets English (American) TV and we are taught it in school, but there's still a big difference in how well people speak and write in English anyway.

cyberman

I don't see a single wideman in his mold available right now..
You can adjust around it though, split strikers etc. You can't do that with a right back.
Imagine Dalot in behind Sancho or Dalot with a lesser fullback behind him. You would take the first option all day long wouldn't you?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You can adjust around it though, split strikers etc. You can't do that with a right back.
Imagine Dalot in behind Sancho or Dalot with a lesser fullback behind him. You would take the first option all day long wouldn't you?
No clue because I still think he hasn't been tested as a proper right back yet. Still time to tell. I think it can go either way and we shouldn't disregard his future as a winger.

yfoFC

He's technically a level above Shaw. Shaw is a solid defender but offensively he's really poor. Glad to see Dalot doing well. His technical qualities immediately impressed me in his first game. I think you have to overlook some defensive lapses if he can provide such an attacking threat down the right hand side.
There's no doubt his offensive skill-set surpasses that of shaw but it doesn't automatically make Shaw's technical skills rubbish

And technique is quite a vague term and you seem to be equating it to the entire offensive skill-set when it is just a sub-set under the latter (technique is just one aspect of offensive play)

Take Martial and Lukaku for instance, Martial is technically excellent while lukaku is rubbish at it but offensively they contribute roughly the same.

Lam

Have a good feeling about him. I don’t what’s the right way explain it but he, like Rafael, has that spark and drive to make things happen.

Could be a proper United full back.

Nick7

There's no doubt his offensive skill-set surpasses that of shaw but it doesn't automatically make Shaw's technical skills rubbish

And technique is quite a vague term and you seem to be equating it to the entire offensive skill-set when it is just a sub-set under the latter (technique is just one aspect of offensive play)

Take Martial and Lukaku for instance, Martial is technically excellent while lukaku is rubbish at it but offensively they contribute roughly the same.
He's also ignoring that Shaw's passing, first touch and control are all really really good. That's technique, too.

Dungarvanred

For the first time,last night, I realised that we have a proper footballer on our hands with Dalot. Let's see how he develops, it's clear ole rates his attacking side as he has played in front of young. Whereas I would have predicted the reverse. He can dribble. At pace and cross and appears to have a big game temperament. Thank you Jose for this parting gift. Now feck off to real and run them into the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueHaze

There is something in him. With hard work and the right attitude he might become world class.

Sylar

Two superb cameos and he hasnt looked phased. Hes brought something for us in terms of attack at times (heck, he got the assist for the winner) :drool:

Him ahead of Young is a good option especially with all the players out. And then him at RB for those games where teams just sit back and for him to provide width and crosses to the likes of Rashford and Lukaku (as he did last game).

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I don't like this RW talk, just because he's shown he can attack. RB is primarily an attacking position these days, and while he's had one shaky game defensively he's also shown he has the tools to defend well. He looks a textbook modern fullback to me.
Agreed. And since Ole loves his fullbacks high up the pitch and getting chalk on their boots hes going to be doing plenty of attacking. If he and Shaw continues to improve, we will have the fullback positions sorted for years

Brightonian

He's also ignoring that Shaw's passing, first touch and control are all really really good. That's technique, too.
This. People don't see it because they pigeonhole Shaw as powerful and athletic and therefore assume he's not technical, but as you say his passing, touch and close control are all absolutely top notch. He just doesn't have a strong instinct to attack so they're not always on show much.

Brightonian

Agreed. And since Ole loves his fullbacks high up the pitch and getting chalk on their boots hes going to be doing plenty of attacking. If he and Shaw continues to improve, we will have the fullback positions sorted for years
And more importantly, sorted right now.

Skills

Snitch
One would say, arguably the most important technical attributes.

Anyone who says Shaw's technique is poor is quite frankly wasting their time on this sport. They're better off finding a different hobby.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
What I love about this kid is he just seems to have and older experienced head on his young shoulders. Of course he still makes rookie mistakes but theres just something about the way he carries himself. Also Im confident he can probably play at RW/RM if needed

deadrevelz

Developing into one of my favourite players. Definite Rafael vibe. Anyone have the gif of him fecking up that pass though? :angel:

BurtSpangle

One would say, arguably the most important technical attributes.

Anyone who says Shaw's technique is poor is quite frankly wasting their time on this sport. They're better off finding a different hobby.
Antonio Valencia has a good first touch and "good passing" if good passing means knocking it inside 10 yards. Luke Shaw is steady, but we should be looking for better tbh.

Loublaze

ATLien
He could have a future at right wing. He's young enough to make the transition and he looks great every time he plays there.
I read somewhere, can't find it now, that he played further up the pitch many times as a reserve player

Kag

We spend years complaining that we don’t have an attacking right back in the mould of Europe’s best and it takes a couple of good dribbles further up the field for many to claim that this should be his position going forward. It’s bonkers.

Play him at right back, give him games to improve his defending and we’re gold. He’s got bollocks, this lad.

OleGunnar20

Have a good feeling about him. I don’t what’s the right way explain it but he, like Rafael, has that spark and drive to make things happen.

Could be a proper United full back.
Agreed. Like Rafael he seems to be the type who'll give it his all regardless of circumstance.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I like him a lot.

I would be happy for us to go into next season with him and Shaw as our first team full backs with a new CB or two.

jesperjaap

Dalot, Bissaka, Trent Arnold....there really are some cracking young right backs in the premiership at the moment.

Based Adnan

Not often you bring in a foreign player and he just fully 'gets the club'.

A Rafael replacement in more ways than one.

POF

I'm a big fan of this kid. He does seem talented but I really like his attitude. He's a young kid coming on and making a real difference to the side. He's confident and believes in himself but is humble with no ego.

He's a really good option in the squad at the moment. It's too early for "he needs to play right back every week" but he will play there eventually and is an excellent rotation option at right back and as a genuine wide right player.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not often you bring in a foreign player and he just fully 'gets the club'.

A Rafael replacement in more ways than one.
He gets us, he is an embodiment of da lot. I love him as I loved Rafael. Hopefully he'll be quality longterm too, looks a different level in my eyes.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Dalot, Shaw, Lindelof, an A N Other will be a great back four. As long as A N Other lives up to whatever expectations we might have.

Smalling has some great games, but still has an element of Sunday park about him, with a really annoying habit of pulling shirts. It's only a matter of time till he gives away a penalty.

Devil may care

We spend years complaining that we don’t have an attacking right back in the mould of Europe’s best and it takes a couple of good dribbles further up the field for many to claim that this should be his position going forward. It’s bonkers.

Play him at right back, give him games to improve his defending and we’re gold. He’s got bollocks, this lad.
Ole has been bitten by the Ashley Young bug, so I think at the moment you're just seeing fans want to see him get game time any way he can.

haram

I like him. Him being our best winger though... that’s a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.