Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailo

As I said in the match thread, I'm really struggling to see the potential many seem to see in him. Looks a pretty average talent for him if I'm brutally honest. What do people see exceptional in him ? I don't get it.
I agree. Don't see it.

Web of Bissaka

Best attacking FB we got.

So natural when attacking.

Defending though so bad :lol: messy, off key. No way natural. He don't know how to properly defend? as in clean style of defend eh like standing your ground, hold your mark without pointless fouls, etc. Not sure if Ole and the coaches can teach him... oh well, at least we have a nice attacking FB option.

Boycott

Wan-Bissaka overlapping Dalot would be interesting.

I think Dalot is good on the ball but he doesn't have a lot of intensity.

Patrick08

I'm not as optimistic about him as I were earlier. Too many flaws for my liking. He's still young though so there's always a hope it's gonna improve but I don't think he'll make it here to be totally honest.
He's a wing back with better attacking qualities. Missing the up and down workrate to influence both sides of the pitch.

Mark Pawelek

What do people see exceptional in him ? I don't get it.
He's very attacking and I like that. He can cross. Perhaps he should be loaned next season to see whether he can improve his defence? We have Darmian - who can defend, and substitute should AWB be injured.

Untd55

Never a wing-back or right-back; the guy cannot defend. If he is going to succeed, it is going to be as a right-winger. He does seem pretty good at dribbling and decent at crossing.

AshRK

I raised this concern after first or second pre season game, I don't know what his role is. I know people might counter with he is just 20 and will be better as he plays more games. Thats all fine and good but you need to play in one position to become better. He is probably the only player in our squad who I am not sure where to put in. Is he a rb or a right winger or a right midfielder or lb? Hope Ole knows what he is doing with him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was more impressed with him today than I have been in a long time. But that was more with a sort of ‘scout hat’ on. He didn’t have a ‘good game’ in the sense that a lot of things came off, but he did show some good tools that I think will eventually stand him in good stead. He looks faster than before, and physically a lot more capable in general. He seems to be getting in better positions going backwards and forwards. I think with some more development, he could still be a top RB. He’s still very young.

Classical Mechanic

He's a really bad defender. He just is far from good enough at the moment to play right back in a top league. He's OK going forward, has a nice trick and cross.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Looked sharper. Fitter. Stronger.
Still lacks some fundamentals of defending though.
His usefulness comes about when we play Lingard/mata on the right because he provides a constant source on the right when those two leave it vacant as they drift in. However I think he’d be a lot more useful playing with a winger like Greenwood or someone to actually play with on the right wing and not just his step overs to rely on.

Either way he looks motivated to challenge Bissaka for a spot and that’s all you can ask of him. Good character.

Alemar

Dalot doesn’t have defensive awareness - that’s a fundamental problem. In attack, he looked lively and provided some crosses, which was nice to see, yes. But defensively he wasn’t good at all today

He'sRaldo

People forget he's still very young. Younger than some other youngsters in the squad. He does seem to be passive defensively but that will definitely improve with time and experience.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Dalot is the fastest player at the club followed by Lukaku and Chong. Matic is quicker than Shaw..:nervous:

Womp

idiot
Dalot is the fastest player at the club followed by Lukaku and Chong. Matic is quicker than Shaw..:nervous:

These test results are always a bit suspect. Wasn't Wazza supposedly amongst the fastest players at our club for the longest time?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
These test results are always a bit suspect. Wasn't Wazza supposedly amongst the fastest players at our club for the longest time?
I think it was Valencia that came out on top..

3KDré

Top speed doesn't mean that much. It doesn't take into account how long it takes to reach that speed, or even how long they can maintain it for.

He'sRaldo

I wonder if he's better at LB than RB?

LB is where he broke through at Porto, and a lot of his good performances came from that side. Plus if he's at LB he'll have Maguire and McTominay to help him out.

jackal&hyde

How exciting is it to have 2 young talented right backs at the club after a season of Ashley Young?:lol:

jackal&hyde

Three if you include Ethan Laird.
Seeing how he wasn't part of the preseason games i don't count him for being an option for most games. Though i would like to see him get minutes here and there. I would personally like to see him get a loan move in January to a championship side (or even prem but unlikely) and see if he can cut it in "real" games. If he does, he might become a real chalange to Dalot. AWB looks to be a bit of a prodigy so i doubt he will be replaced by anyone as first choice.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Seeing how he wasn't part of the preseason games i don't count him for being an option for most games. Though i would like to see him get minutes here and there. I would personally like to see him get a loan move in January to a championship side (or even prem but unlikely) and see if he can cut it in "real" games. If he does, he might become a real chalange to Dalot. AWB looks to be a bit of a prodigy so i doubt he will be replaced by anyone as first choice.
He wasn't part of preseason due to missing large periods through injury last season. He's also just turned 18 a few days ago and played a brilliant game against Championship outfit Rotherham in the EFL cup scoring a nice goal in a 2-0 win.

I tip Laird to be our best allround fullback within two seasons. He's already better defensively compared to Dalot imo.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He wasn't part of preseason due to missing large periods through injury last season. He's also just turned 18 a few days ago and played a brilliant game against Championship outfit Rotherham in the EFL cup scoring a nice goal in a 2-0 win.

I tip Laird to be our best allround fullback within two seasons. He's already better defensively compared to Dalot imo.
Better than AWB? Not sure about that however I hope he can take the LB spot

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That is an enormous claim given the numbers AWB has been putting for the last 18 months.
Laird is gonna be a better attacking fullback in comparison. AWB was sent packing from little Cambridge at 20. Things change very fast in football.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He'll be a better attacking fullback IMO
Agree, but you said all round not just attacking
AWB will improve his attacking game in 2 years and will be (if not already) the best defensive fullback in the league

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I wonder if he's better at LB than RB?

LB is where he broke through at Porto, and a lot of his good performances came from that side. Plus if he's at LB he'll have Maguire and McTominay to help him out.
I would definitely consider him again as LB as Shaw tends to be chaotic sometimes.

Nick7

I don't think we should be playing him as a full back until he improves a LOT defensively.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agree, but you said all round not just attacking
AWB will improve his attacking game in 2 years and will be (if not already) the best defensive fullback in the league
AWB will have the edge over Laird defensively for sure. But from what i've seen, Laird looks significantly more talented going forward and has a goal threat. So weighing up attributes of both players in defense/attack I feel Laird will be the more rounded in the modern game in a few years. I've always rated Laird very highly and believe he's gonna cause AWB a huge headache to hold onto his RB spot in the next season or two. Laird is potentially the more exciting prospect IMO.

Last edited:

United58

If we ever went 5-3-2, AWB at RCB with Dalot at wing back could be interesting. Maguire in the middle and Lindelof at LCB

jackal&hyde

AWB will have the edge over Laird defensively for sure. But from what i've seen, Laird looks significantly more talented going forward and has a goal threat. So weighing up attributes of both players in defense/attack I feel Laird will be the most rounded in the modern game in a few years. I've always rated Laird very highly and believe he's gonna cause AWB a huge headache to hold onto his RB spot in the next season or two. Laird is potentially the more exciting prospect IMO.
I'm happy that you rate him so much, but he has to play first team football. I rate Dalot very highly on his attacking play and he only just had one year at the club so i expect him to grow in confidence and so in performances to.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm happy that you rate him so much, but he has to play first team football. I rate Dalot very highly on his attacking play and he only just had one year at the club so i expect him to grow in confidence and so in performances to.
We're blessed at RB as things stand.:drool:

buckooo1978

serious question.....

should he be given the opportunity to be our first choice left back

technically good, quickest player at the club (thanks Lukaku) and would offer a good attacking outlet.

Shaw again was not great yesterday. Play breaks down with him, he picks easy option and Maguire was pulled out of position a number of times to cover for him. I felt Chelsea and other teams will target Shaw.

He's nowhere near the finished article but I'd start Dalot against Wolves

Kostov

serious question.....

should he be given the opportunity to be our first choice left back

technically good, quickest player at the club (thanks Lukaku) and would offer a good attacking outlet.

Shaw again was not great yesterday. Play breaks down with him, he picks easy option and Maguire was pulled out of position a number of times to cover for him. I felt Chelsea and other teams will target Shaw.

He's nowhere near the finished article but I'd start Dalot against Wolves
No. I agree Shaw was one of our weaker players yesterday, he's still a better LB than Dalot imo. Even if we are looking for an alternative I think we should give chances to a proper LB in Brandon Williams for example from the youth team.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No. We would have been absolutely fecked if Dalot was left exposed the way Shaw was yesterday. Dalot can't handle one winger let alone marking the entire side of the pitch himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.