Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

edcunited1878

Another young player who continues to gain experience instead of showcasing experience. He'll continue to grow into a man and mature physically. Hopefully he can get lean muscle as he's a tall kid. Right now, he would do well to be a John O'Shea type player for United.

Alabaster Codify7

Like Martial, for a young man his injury record is frightening. Worrying.

When fit, play him in front of AWB - he at least might resemble something approaching a right-winger. He's a 10x better option on RW than Mata, Lingard or Pereira.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looks like a sign of our scattergun transfer record to be honest.

Buy a right back for 20m, then the next summer buy a slightly older one for 50m.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't see how you can call him average, he's better than Gary Neville at the same age. If the coaches think he's decent then he needs time. He can also fill in more than one position which is always useful.
Did you re-read that before writing that?

Better than a guy who was the best right back in the country and representing his country at Euro 96?!
There's nothing that suggests Dalot will get near that level.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Looks like a sign of our scattergun transfer record to be honest.

Buy a right back for 20m, then the next summer buy a slightly older one for 50m.
Worse than that..... Periera joined Leicester the same summer for a similar fee from the same club as Dalot, FCPorto.

What on earth were our scouts doing? Yes Periera is older but my god the gap in quality is huge.

Member 101269

He is a player to fill the confusion between wingback and winger, he's not great at either. Sell him

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Worse than that..... Periera joined Leicester the same summer for a similar fee from the same club as Dalot, FCPorto.

What on earth were our scouts doing? Yes Periera is older but my god the gap in quality is huge.
We don't seem to have the knack of discovering and targeting the right players.
I know the pressure of Man Utd is much more than these lesser clubs, but you'd think we get more right than wrong.

Even players who have been superb for their previous team in the Premier league turn to mush here.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
We didn't pluck Dalot out of nowhere. He was one of the highest touted youth players in the world who was chased by every single club. He was clearly doing something at youth level to have everyone's scouts interested.

Roboc7

Who else did England have? For me, Neville was bang average until about the age of 25 when he both worked out the offside rule and how to cross the ball.
Neville improved a lot but it’s not still not even a comparison between the two. What has Dalot done since he joined or at Porto, he’s still not even ahead of Ashley Young.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Neville improved a lot but it’s not still not even a comparison between the two. What has Dalot done since he joined or at Porto, he’s still not even ahead of Ashley Young.
He's played mostly ok in a shite team. Neville played mostly ok in excellent teams. That's the only difference at this point. What took Gaz up a level to being a top 5 right back in the world was how he trained and learned, not his ability as a youngster. If the coaches think Dalot can work and improve then he'll be a useful player for us, I don't think it's at all controversial.

Based Adnan

People are quick to forget he was among our better players vs Barca and PSG in the CL

He is 19 and only just coming back from injury, relax.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

sillwuka

I like Dalot but I'm not sure he's good enough to displace AWB or even stake a claim at RW. He seems to be okay at alot of aspects but that's about it.

Would love if if he found another gear and kicked on.

SambaBoy

We didn't pluck Dalot out of nowhere. He was one of the highest touted youth players in the world who was chased by every single club. He was clearly doing something at youth level to have everyone's scouts interested.
No he wasn't. He came out of the blue, and he was never really on the lists of the top youngsters in the world. We had a free run at him.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No he wasn't. He came out of the blue, and he was never really on the lists of the top youngsters in the world. We had a free run at him.
Wrong. He was known by every single person in the youth football community. You knowing nothing doesn't make a player out of the blue.

He was on many "lists." In fact, he was on both the u17 and u19 Euros team of the tournaments. He was also on the Golden Boy list and any youth list going.

Mourinho even said we bought him so early because everyone was following him.

Here he confirms himself that Barca and Real were watching him.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/what-diogo-dalot-said-real-12618888

Napoli contacting his agent. Juventus interested and several other top clubs.
https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/nap...om-porto-his-agent-will-be-in-italy-next-week

Classical Mechanic

Chant for him to the tune of 'a lot' by 21 Savage

'How many lollipops man got - Dalot'
'How crosses man got in - Dalot'
'How many times man get dribbled - Dalot'
'How many crosses man let in - Dalot'
'How many times man injured - Dalot'

Roboc7

He's played mostly ok in a shite team. Neville played mostly ok in excellent teams. That's the only difference at this point. What took Gaz up a level to being a top 5 right back in the world was how he trained and learned, not his ability as a youngster. If the coaches think Dalot can work and improve then he'll be a useful player for us, I don't think it's at all controversial.
Except he hasn’t played mostly ok and can’t even get into the shite team. Makes zero sense to even compare him with Neville at this point.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Can't understand the stick he gets on here. His poor defending is not really worse than what you have on both flanks except wan bissaka (that i never seen play).

I watched last match where Dalot played and he was exposed 1v1 all the time. Teams don't defend like that, no matter who you have at full back.

With that said he's future at OT was sealed the moment you bought Wan Bissaka. Another odd decision by the club who should have went for someone more experienced só Dalot could take over in a season or two.

UncleBob

Can't understand the stick he gets on here. His poor defending is not really worse than what you have on both flanks except wan bissaka (that i never seen play).

I watched last match where Dalot played and he was exposed 1v1 all the time. Teams don't defend like that, no matter who you have at full back.

With that said he's future at OT was sealed the moment you bought Wan Bissaka. Another odd decision by the club who should have went for someone more experienced só Dalot could take over in a season or two.
Weird claim

The odd decision was signing Dalot in the first place

Nick7

He's a worse defender than Young. Wan Bissaka was absolutely not the odd decision here as he's shown to be a much better player than Dalot.

I really like Dalot. He definitely has potential going forward. Lacks when it comes to defending but that'll come as he matures and understand the game better. I've seen nothing to make me question the signing and I hope he'll get plenty of chances. Can be used as a winger too which we at times direly need. Inerverted left back perhaps? All I known is I hope he'll get involved a lot more.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Except he hasn’t played mostly ok and can’t even get into the shite team. Makes zero sense to even compare him with Neville at this point.
That is firmly in the territory of your personal opinion. He's a young right full back playing for Manchester United who hasn't really impressed much yet, I'm very happy comparing him to Gary Neville.

Grande

He's a worse defender than Young. Wan Bissaka was absolutely not the odd decision here as he's shown to be a much better player than Dalot.
I agree that Ashley Young IS a better full back than Diogo Dalot. I am still very much intrigued to see how good a full back Dalot may BECOME. Defensively, he showed improvement last game against Maximin. If he improves as much every third month, he’ll be a top class full back while still U-23.

It’s really a brilliant situation to have two players like Wan-Bissaka in one position.

Nick7

I agree that Ashley Young IS a better full back than Diogo Dalot. I am still very much intrigued to see how good a full back Dalot may BECOME. Defensively, he showed improvement last game against Maximin. If he improves as much every third month, he’ll be a top class full back while still U-23.

It’s really a brilliant situation to have two players like Wan-Bissaka in one position.
I thought he had a really rough time against Newcastle, but you're right he was better than previous. Just where do you play him? I'd say he's the worst of our 4 full backs, so if everyone is fit he shouldn't be getting into the team in the current situation.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Weird claim

The odd decision was signing Dalot in the first place
He can be your best fb in a couple years but it's difficult when you're new and in a disjointed team. There's no future for him there whatsoever after AWB investment even if he has more potential.

I'm certain Dalot will be a top right back in the future but it won't be at United

Grande

I thought he had a really rough time against Newcastle, but you're right he was better than previous. Just where do you play him? I'd say he's the worst of our 4 full backs, so if everyone is fit he shouldn't be getting into the team in the current situation.
I think it’s harsh dealing out ‘worst’-labels on U20 players comparing them with seniors, but OK, I agree he is ‘worst’ today, like Greenwood is our worst striker and Gomes is our worst no 10. I don’t necessarily think he is that much defensive improvement away from being our second best FB, though, hard to tell really. 1-v-1 defending and positioning development sometimes comes in a rush and sometimes comes slowly in young defenders.

In the current situation I agree we should prioritise keeping the same first eleven for the PL as far as possible, which has been impossible with all the injuries. Given the injuries, I am very happy we have Dalot, as the alternative would be even younger, even less ready players thrown into the mix.

Nick7

I think it’s harsh dealing out ‘worst’-labels on U20 players comparing them with seniors, but OK, I agree he is ‘worst’ today, like Greenwood is our worst striker and Gomes is our worst no 10. I don’t necessarily think he is that much defensive improvement away from being our second best FB, though, hard to tell really. 1-v-1 defending and positioning development sometimes comes in a rush and sometimes comes slowly in young defenders.

In the current situation I agree we should prioritise keeping the same first eleven for the PL as far as possible, which has been impossible with all the injuries. Given the injuries, I am very happy we have Dalot, as the alternative would be even younger, even less ready players thrown into the mix.
If we were flying high, then yeah I'd be a little nicer towards him, but we really can't afford to bench better players at the moment. I'm all for him taking Young's spot, but right now we need results and Young, AWB, and Shaw are all performing better than him. He's in the weird gray area of youth development, where he needs games, but we need results.

Roboc7

That is firmly in the territory of your personal opinion. He's a young right full back playing for Manchester United who hasn't really impressed much yet, I'm very happy comparing him to Gary Neville.
I don’t think anyone can argue Dalot has done well since he joined, he might have potential but just odd to even compare him to Neville. We bought a RB who’s not much older than Dalot which is a reflection of what his future is likely to be.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
People are quick to forget he was among our better players vs Barca and PSG in the CL

He is 19 and only just coming back from injury, relax.
Agreed. For sure I'd like him to kick on but as you say he's a very young player who's been in and out with injuries. Considering the problems at this club and the player churn we have now and will probably have in the near future I can't believe people are declaring Dalot a flop who should be sold.

meamth

Stupid discussion up there. Complaining he shouldn't be signed.

We signed a fecking potential, for 20 mil. When we signed an expensive full back it's a problem, when we sign a kid, it's also a problem. What the heck do you guys want???

Negative Red

He should've gone straight on loan to a Championship club, it would've done him a world of good. From what I've seen though he's not good enough defensively and his injury record is already alarming. I'd sell him, I'm not a fan.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
19 years old ffs and people complaining. You guys keeps complaining that our scouts doesn't capture talents at young age and yet, piss off when they have inconsistent games. It doesn't work both ways. If you want the club to nurture and create stars then you got to be patient. Else dont ever complain that clubs scouts are not good enough.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This guy is one of those that is just gonna be injured all the time. He'll never get going because he's never fit long enough to play himself into form. He'll be back for 5 games then miss the next 10. Rinse and repeat.

Grande

If we were flying high, then yeah I'd be a little nicer towards him, but we really can't afford to bench better players at the moment. I'm all for him taking Young's spot, but right now we need results and Young, AWB, and Shaw are all performing better than him. He's in the weird gray area of youth development, where he needs games, but we need results.
I follow you on that one. Though, results are only important at the time to placate the more negativistic parts of the fans and oress so they don’t contribute to bury the no doubt tried confidences of our young players.

What I myself would like to see from the team are better performances, on for that I’m quite sure we need that the same players gets to play in the same set up for a prolonged spell so as to form the relations necessary to outplay any kind of organized opposition.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Had such bright hopes for him when he joined, but seems injuries are just stopping him ever get started. Let's hope he grows out of these!

Status
Not open for further replies.