Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Don't see any problem in this. He doesn't really have any sort of emotional connection to us anyway.
Emotional connection?

Probably not how about an employment connection though. Though i found it funny it was a bit unprofessional.

stevoc

And he was seen very active in trying to get McTominay sent off.

Look like he wants to leave permanently that badly
Didn't notice that. Yeah hopefully he does want out permanently.

el3mel

Emotional connection?

Probably not how about an employment connection though. Though i found it funny it was a bit unprofessional.
But it was actually professional to work your hardest and be fully in it for the team you're currently playing for, which is Milan, regardless of being on loan or a permanent transfer.

A-man

And he was seen very active in trying to get McTominay sent off.

Look like he wants to leave permanently that badly
Do you mean in the situation where McT was close to a second yellow?

stevoc

But it was actually professional to work your hardest and be fully in it for the team you're currently playing for, which is Milan, regardless of being on loan or a permanent transfer.
If you're on loan and are selected to play against your parent club. Then you try your hardest no problem with that.

But celebrating a goal against your own club, come on. :lol:

That's just being a dick. Just as well there were no fans there tonight. Don't expect he'll get a great reception if he ever plays for United in front of a home crowd again.

Nicolarra90

He can feck off, one thing is to celebrate against your old club, but against your current one is something else

el3mel

If you're on loan and are selected to play against your parent club. Then you try your hardest no problem with that.

That's just being a dick. Just as well there were no fans there tonight. Don't expect he'll get a great reception if he ever plays for United in front of a home crowd again.
I think it would have looked really weird if he stood there not celebrating a late minute goal with his current teammates. Would have sent the wrong message for Milan and his teammates as well.

As for the reception if he played for United, pretty sure both him and the club knew that he would never play for us again and this loan was just a step for him to leave permanently.

abkmufc92

How is it being a dick when his parent club doesn't give a shit about him, he's entitled to celebrate a goal for his current club regardless of ties to his parent club.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Are people really having a got at him for celebrating a late equaliser in a huge game for the club he is currently playing for?

He has every right to celebrate that goal

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm still trying to figure out why he was allowed to play today. You'd think a part of the load deal would be that he can't play if we face each other. Or aren't you allowed to put a clause like that in for loans to other leagues?

Nick7

I'm still trying to figure out why he was allowed to play today. You'd think a part of the load deal would be that he can't play if we face each other. Or aren't you allowed to put a clause like that in for loans to other leagues?
Yeah you can’t do that.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Was he actually any good today? Didn’t catch the game.

stevoc

I think it would have looked really weird if he stood there not celebrating a late minute goal with his current teammates. Would have sent the wrong message for Milan and his teammates as well.

As for the reception if he played for United, pretty sure both him and the club knew that he would never play for us again and this loan was just a step for him to leave permanently.
Nah it wouldn't have.

stevoc

Are people really having a got at him for celebrating a late equaliser in a huge game for the club he is currently playing for?

No.

ti vu

I don't think it's not possible. We have seen James, Coutinho playing against their parent clubs in CL in recent year.
Was he actually any good today? Didn’t catch the game.
He's decent in that we didn't cause him any issue. He followed Milan game plan well, providing width, and some decent cross, but nothing really great. Basically nothing that we haven't seen in his better games for us.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

That I'm not too fussed about but trying to get Scott sent off is being a dick.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
His post match interview wasn't of one who expects to be back at United next season which was odd seeing as Milan seemingly don't want to actually keep him

led_scholes

I really do not see a problem with celebrating a goal, especially when you know your old club doesn't want you, as long as you do not do anything provocative like kissing the badge. I still recall Morientes celebrating with passion when he scored against Real as a loanee in Monaco. And he was actually an important player for Real at one point, and I think he was loved by the fans.

Asger

He can feck off, one thing is to celebrate against your old club, but against your current one is something else
All players should always celebrate. It's supposed to be fun sport. Fans complain about everything these days. Shit our supposed "World"

Amir

It's a new thing, isn't it? I really don't understand why in the last few years people are so interested in players celebrating/not celebrating.

united for life

probably he already knows he’s never playing a game for us again. He could’ve lived without the celebration. Can’t hate on him for trying hard to win though

criticalanalysis

This could be his Ronaldo Euro 2004 (getting Rooney sent off) moment where he'll come back than ever, displaces AWB and become Cafu regen.

Or maybe not.

UpWithRivers

Isnt he on loan and if so why did isnt there a claus in his contract not to lay against us? isnt that standard

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Isnt he on loan and if so why did isnt there a claus in his contract not to lay against us? isnt that standard
European leagues have the opposite laws as the English game. In England, loaned players aren't allowed to play against their parent club. In CL and EL loaned players are always allowed to play against their parent club. No clauses can change that.

macheda14

It's a new thing, isn't it? I really don't understand why in the last few years people are so interested in players celebrating/not celebrating.
It’s quite an old thing at least since I’ve been watching football (2004), it’s more that players have started celebrating more.

mav_9me

I know right. Last min equalizer and he is supposed to stand as if nothing happened. If that's your natural reaction then go with it. Not fake a lack of reaction...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Emotional connection?

Couldn't disagree more. The whole not celebrating against past or parent clubs is ridiculous. His aim is to get through to the next round, last minute goal and you want him to stand with his arms folded? :lol: Nah, celebrate, it means feck all and fans get overly sensitive about it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Didn't really appreciate him trying to get McTominay sent off but otherwise I could care less if he celebrated the goal. He's playing under their colors and he has a good reason to want to win the game.

Abraxas

I didn't find celebration or non-celebration to be interesting. When we expect players not to celebrate we are only asking them to bend to the societal expectation that they should not do so against a former or parent club.

When a player does or doesn't celebrate it probably has nothing to do with right or wrong or good or bad but merely how willing they are to adjust the public persona that they already have. That is if they are even aware of that expectation to begin with, which may be partly cultural.

I was interested in the performance, however. Which was okay. I did not get the impression we tested him enough defensively, he was rarely isolated and generally we did not get going. He got forward well but his crosses were largely off the mark. The interesting thing is he is relatively competent at either fullback position. I don't think there is a massive amount between him and Williams from what I have seen.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
It’s quite an old thing at least since I’ve been watching football (2004), it’s more that players have started celebrating more.
But being outraged by the actual celebration seems to be a novelty to be fair.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why wouldn’t he celebrate? Anyone pissed off that he did so should ask themselves what they thought he was on the pitch for. He’s trying to help Milan win the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.