Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

justsomebloke

I'm probably his biggest critic but yesterday was solid from him. That said he's far from a United RB. Too weak in his offensive abilities.
I thought the opposite yesterday - I thought he was really poor defensively and by some distance our weakest defender, and made errors that contributed directly to several chances for the opposition, including their biggest one in the first half. It's his lack of defensive control that will (or should) keep him out of the team. Offensively he shows enough to get by (at least for starters), but it's not nearly enough to compensate for his defensive shortcomings.

Marwood

I'll be honest, I wrote Dalot off years ago. I thought he was a rubbish defender with a bit of a shimmy and a half-decent cross.

I've been surprised by him looking a competent option in the Premier League.

Does he look like the second coming of Gary Neville? No. However, he's well defended some good players recently. Plus he's still getting forward and, even if his crossing remains inconsistent, it gives defenders enough to think about to allow Mason more space.

I'm pleased to have been proven wrong about him being not up to English football. I hope he proves me even more wrong by becoming a top level right back.
I never really get these stats, aren't a lot of them being duplicated? 16 ball recoveries includes the 3 tackles and 3 interceptions doesn't it? 7 ball clearances includes the 3 aerial duals?

Litch

Says a lot of most on here's assessment of a player, he was written off by many. Fans are ridiculous flip flops at times. Few bad games, people will be saying he's shite again....

Kostov

He plays like man possessed, still manages to look bad on instances but I am very surprised by his turnaround. and for one I am glad he has done it. I hope he continues to improve and gives a good headache to whoever comes after this season to manage.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm probably his biggest critic but yesterday was solid from him. That said he's far from a United RB. Too weak in his offensive abilities.
Point is, invest on him and it will pay back. We gave 2 years to AWB. This guy deserves atleast half a season.

Ixion

I thought the opposite yesterday - I thought he was really poor defensively and by some distance our weakest defender, and made errors that contributed directly to several chances for the opposition, including their biggest one in the first half. It's his lack of defensive control that will (or should) keep him out of the team. Offensively he shows enough to get by (at least for starters), but it's not nearly enough to compensate for his defensive shortcomings.
He had the best defensive stats in the team yesterday. Most interceptions, most clearances, 2nd most tackles, 3rd most aerial duels won. You're obsessing over 1 bad pass at the start and ignoring the rest of the game.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
If AWB was playing we would have conceded 3 goals at the back post in that game.

stevoc

Some of you all must be brexiters or something they way you pine for AWB and Shaw.

Dalot did well, he won the ball at the back post from crosses 4-5 times, tracked back well, and tidied things up repeatedly. He made the most interceptions and clearances in the team, and the 2nd most tackles. A mistake in the first half doesn't mean everything else was shit.
Are people who prefer Dalot and Telles over AWB/Shaw anti-English?

Ixion

Are people who prefer Dalot and Telles over AWB/Shaw anti-English?
I dont see anyone who blindly insists Dalot and Telles should play no matter how badly they perform so I'm not sure those you're referring to exist.

stevoc

I dont see anyone who blindly insists Dalot and Telles should play no matter how badly they perform so I'm not sure those you're referring to exist.
And I don't see anyone who has made the opposite claim either.

You were suggesting people might be pining for Shaw and AWB because they are Brexiters. By that logic if someone has spent the last 1-2 years pining over Dalot and Telles to get games ahead of two English players surely it's because they are anti-English yes?

Both suggestions are equally ridiculous.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have to say I find it a bit strange that the biggest and most recurrent criticism of AWB was that he didn’t offer enough in attack but this thread (and Martin Keown) is purring about a performance from Dalot in which I honestly can’t remember a single impressive contribution from him in the final third. In fact the only attacking contribution I can remember was a frankly dismal overhit cross the one and only time he got near the byline. Am I missing something here?

Defensively he was impressive but let’s not forget that a fairly unforgivable brainfart from him gifted Brentford one of their best chances. Plus those breakaway chances we keep conceding from our own corners in recent games all feature Dalot as the defender who is supposed to hang back to prevent them. So that’s not great either.

Ixion

And I don't see anyone who has made the opposite claim either.

You were suggesting people might be pining for Shaw and AWB because they are Brexiters. By that logic if someone has spent the last 1-2 years pining over Dalot and Telles to get games ahead of two English players surely it's because they are anti-English yes?

Both suggestions are equally ridiculous.
There are plenty of people on this forum, I am assuming yourself included, that have Shaw and AWB down as our fullbacks every single game no matter form or fixture, that 10 minutes into any game Dalot or Telles play say how shit our fullbacks are. Those people do not care about performances or rewarding form. Your reversal simply doesn't happen on this forum. Nobody champions Dalot and Telles to start every game regardless of form.

justsomebloke

He had the best defensive stats in the team yesterday. Most interceptions, most clearances, 2nd most tackles, 3rd most aerial duels won. You're obsessing over 1 bad pass at the start and ignoring the rest of the game.
I am not obsessing over a single pass, and would not make that judgment if I had not repeatedly noted negatives during the game. But it is of course possible that I misjudge. I'm happy to check my impression against the stats, if you could point me in the direction of a handy source that gives relevant stats on a player-by-player basis?

DutchCruijff

Defensively he was impressive but let’s not forget that a fairly unforgivable brainfart from him gifted Brentford one of their best chances. Plus those breakaway chances we keep conceding from our own corners in recent games all feature Dalot as the defender who is supposed to hang back to prevent them. So that’s not great either.
We're vulnerable on the counter with or without Dalot so this is irrelevant + it's hard to be an actual fullback with someone has defensively lacklustre as Greenwood ahead of you.

Dalot has been very good in the performances for us. Pleased to have him ahead of AWB. Although Dalot comes into centrally at times, he need to snap out of that and overlap more often.

Gandalf

Still not a fan and I would prefer to see Laird and a new RB as our options next season and sell both Dalot and AWB but on the understanding that we won't do business that way I would say that this season he has been the better of the two senior options and so should be retained over AWB. I dislike the fact that he is frequently caught out standing around in a central midfield position when attacks develop on our right side and honestly despite his vaunted attacking abilities his crossing has actually been worse than AWB in the last few games. On the plus side when we are keeping possession and building attacks he does seem to understand the value of ball retention and makes himself available to recycle the ball and makes the simple pass. In conclusion if we could just teach him how to defend, cross and shoot he could be a decent back up.

arthurka

Wasn’t he stitched up after one of our recent games? Obviously has a high pain threshold and is a game lad. He’s doing everything he can to take his chance in the team. I like that.
Agree with that. Like his fight and spirit, not letting go of his place so easily.

stevoc

There are plenty of people on this forum, I am assuming yourself included, that have Shaw and AWB down as our fullbacks every single game no matter form or fixture, that 10 minutes into any game Dalot or Telles play say how shit our fullbacks are. Those people do not care about performances or rewarding form.
Quote one person who has said Shaw and AWB should start regardless of form then, this should be good.

Your reversal simply doesn't happen on this forum. Nobody champions Dalot and Telles to start every game regardless of form.
:lol:

Obviously fecking not mate as it's ridiculous, as ridiculous as your suggestion as I just said in the very post you are replying to. Which was the point.

I am assuming yourself included, that have Shaw and AWB down as our fullbacks every single game no matter form or fixture,
:lol:

You do realize someone not rating Dalot or Telles isn't necessarily an indication that they do rate Shaw/AWB. The two opinions aren't mutually exclusive.

Foxbatt

He is a better football player than AWB. He needs to get his crosses better.

justsomebloke

Found them om Fbref.

You're right that he led the team in interceptions. But that's his normal level - he also has the best season stats for that among the starters (on a per 90 basis of course). As well as in clearances, which is a bit better than his normal level (3rd among starters on the season). But, he did not win the 3rd most aerial duels. He won 2 out of 6, which is a) tied for 4th in number of duels won, b) tied for 5th in % won and c) not very good. Compared to his season stats, that's more aerial duels taken, fewer won (3.80/2.25 or 59.3% won).

He had the second most tackles, yes (3). But though two of them were successful challenges against dribblers, none of them led to regaining possession (while 6 other Utd players had at least one tackle that did). This is roughly one more tackle than his season level (which is 2.25), on the other hand he averages 1 tackle leading to regaining the ball. On the plus side, he's also dribbled past roughly once per game, and avoided that altogether in this one. Also, never dispossessed, which he on average is about once per game.

In other relevant defensive or defence-impacting stats, he was 6th in pass completion% (a little bit better than his season stats, which puts him 8th among the starters in this game), tied for 4th in loose ball recoveries (normal level), had 0 blocks (more or less as usual, only CR and Greenwood have fewer/90 on the season), and was 7th in pressing actions (which is his normal level) and 8th in pressing success % (which is markedly worse than his normal level, which is the third best among the starters).

Statistically, that looks more like a mixed defensive performance than a very good one to me, and also as not much different than his usual levels. Also, most of the trouble Brentford created developed on his side. But I'll agree the stats does make me adjust my perception a bit in a positive direction.

For the sake of interest and since I'm looking this up anyway; offensive stats: 2nd in Live Ball Touches (which he also is on the season among the starters), 7th in progressive passes (which is actually significantly less good than his season numbers, where among the starters in this game only Bruno has more), 4th in progressive distance of passes (same here, he's got the best season figures among the starters), 8th in progressive carries (significantly worse than normal, he's second on the season among starters), tied for 2nd in successful dribbles (4th for the season), tied for 5th in attempted dribbles (same as season), tops for passes into the attacking third (where he's only 6th among starters on the season, so this is very good), tied for third in crosses (but with no more than two, while Telles had seven - well below his season average of 3.24). 0.0 npXg+xa (as had Telles and Lindelof, so no big deal).

In short - much involved on the ball and instrumental in getting the ball into the final third, but not as much forward passing or taking the ball forward as he usually does. And fewer crosses.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
As long as we see some more solid defensive performances from him we are good. His attacking game comes to him naturally once he gains his confidence.

git_united

Asides the two big mistakes, I thought he played well. His defensive positioning was excellent ... I particularly liked the way he hedged on that two v one and reduced the quality of the shot that Jansen(?) took. Offensively he had that shambolic cross but I thought he was important to our ability to retain and recycle possession. Maybe AWB has lowered my expectations though ...

Brilliant defensively. He was great vs Brentford too.

He reads the game a lot better than Bissaka and gives us a great aerial presence at the back post.

Red Rash

Really been impressed with him since Rangnick joined. He just offers much more in attack than Wan Bissaka. I think he has to be first choice right back at the moment based on current form.

arnie_ni

Very impressed with his defending of late. It used to be horrendous

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just don’t like the longshots + how he gets too narrowly infield. He needs to overlap, not be inside.

Silas

So happy he's doing well. Used to get a ridiculously hard time on here for some reason.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was very good, especially in the first half. He also seems quicker off the mark in the last few games.

Ixion

Hey look this nothing player not fit to lace AWB's boots did alright again. Weird. Maybe because hes actually been given a few games in a row to settle in.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Raw but intense and doesn't slow things down.

Just like his other teammate needs to correct his crossing... sounds like a mantra at this point.

bucky

I actually didn't think it was going to happen, but it feels like he can turn his United career around, which would be really cool. Good performance.

CasaStreets

Not perfect but MotM performance for his defensive contributions and first half attacking play. Shouldn't have taken that long shot and, late on he drifted inside too much and narrowed the play, still excellent.

The United

I thought his defensive performance has been improving.

But I think his crossing is crap and taking long shots from nowhere annoyed me at times. Tried driving the ball forward a lot but still contribute a little up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.