Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I always knew he had pace but my opinion hasn't changed. He's got errors in him. A lack of IQ. There were a few tonight he just got away with them.

Did you think he did anything going forwards?
I mean, compared to our other RB he's Albert Feckin Einstein!

Passitlikescholes

Worst player on the pitch for us and by a far margin. Weak in defence several times and gave the ball away needlessly putting us in danger. Crossing was completely abysmal, we worked out good positions to free him up for easy crosses and he absolutely butchered those crosses.

I have no idea how people are saying he was good.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Worst player on the pitch for us and by a far margin. Weak in defence several times and gave the ball away needlessly putting us in danger. Crossing was completely abysmal, we worked out good positions to free him up for easy crosses and he absolutely butchered those crosses.

WTF.

He reminds me a bit of Gary Neville. He's far from perfect but he makes up for it because he never stops and never drops his head. Varane was our best player tonight but Dalot wasn't far off.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I nearly threw myself into traffic when he played that ball through to the Brentford striker. An absurdly undeserved MOTM :lol:

Marwood

Yes, I think he stretched play and won the ball high up as well. I thought the whole team bar de Gea underperformed in the first 45. Do you think AWB has been performing better? That's the only relevant question.
I'm guessing you not mentioning what he was like on the ball means you agree he wasn't up to much in that regard?

Stretching the play is a bit tenuous for me.

He probably is performing a bit better than AWB right now... maybe....just about...maybe not.

Not sure that's the only relevant question in a performance thread though.

I mean, compared to our other RB he's Albert Feckin Einstein!
Take your point but I don't think there's much in it regarding IQ.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm guessing you not mentioning what he was like on the ball means you agree he wasn't up to much in that regard?

Stretching the play is a bit tenuous for me.

He probably is performing a bit better than AWB right now... maybe....just about...maybe not.

Not sure that's the only relevant question in a performance thread though.

Take your point but I don't think there's much in it regarding IQ.
He won the ball back numerous times, on the ground and in the air. He wasn't positionally all over the place like AWB tends to be, especially at the far post. I'd be surprised if our possession in the final third wasn't overwhelmingly down left, where we used Elanga, Telles and Bruno quite a lot in that second half. I remember one great effort on goal from Dalot, which is another attribute he has over AWB. Why is that the question? Because he's recently gotten the nod over AWB and he's performing to a higher level than we've seen AWB do for months. And when he has a rock solid game, I think it's quite normal that people praise him in his performance thread.

Marwood

He won the ball back numerous times, on the ground and in the air. He wasn't positionally all over the place like AWB tends to be, especially at the far post. I'd be surprised if our possession in the final third wasn't overwhelmingly down left, where we used Elanga, Telles and Bruno quite a lot in that second half. I remember one great effort on goal from Dalot, which is another attribute he has over AWB. Why is that the question? Because he's recently gotten the nod over AWB and he's performing to a higher level than we've seen AWB do for months. And when he has a rock solid game, I think it's quite normal that people praise him in his performance thread.
Come on that was never rock solid.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

:lol:

stevoc

Poor in the first half, better in the second.

Surprised he was picked to be MOTM. But then Martin Keown is a clown so makes sense.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
MOTM sure :lol: I think though, he's done well to sort of establishing himself in the team and put pressure on AWB, still can see a mistake in him, not marking tightly enough, not putting hard enough tackle when needed, being dribbled and incorrectly positioned. He got better in these situations but I feel at times he's more lucky than being a convincing defender. Also his forward contribution and bebe-esque crosses are driving me crazy. Long way to go for beign a starting quality but at least we have that pressure on AWB to come back stronger.

Let's see what happens when Laird comes back.

arthurka

He is absolutely ok nothing more nothing less. We need to call a turd a turd and stop trying to polish it into a gold nugget. It just shows the lack of standards set by AWB that people think he is a very good player.
Dalot is a ok player, Telles in the other hand is just terrible not even going to try to polish him.

CloneMC16

He was awful in the first half. Defensively, he was all over the place. He gets dribbled way too easily. He played decently in the second. He won a few headers at the back post. He didn't really do anything offensively. His crosses were no better than anything AWB does. Mostly poor. I think Keown massively overrated his performance. He was never MoTM. He was alright at best.

united for life

Was below average yesterday. Was terrible defensively in the first half. Not sure why anyone would believe he played well, unless our standards dropped so much we now accept mediocrity

Highfather_24

He is so much better on the ball compared to AWB. Not a brilliant crosser, but his vision and passing is much more crisper, and he is more press resistant than AWB. Helps in playing out from the back.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His attacking game is so overrated, I don't see one aspect of his attacking game that is good enough. Average dribbler with useless stepovers, poor crosser.

OmarUnited4ever

Imagine if we invested the game time we wasted on AWB instead on him. No point hoarding young players, if you're not going to play them.

It was a joke that we let Ole spunk £50m on AWB just a year after we'd invested £20m on a 19 year old Dalot.
AWB was and is not 50M FB, not even 15m, not good enough, but the idea to go into the transfer market to get someone in the RB position was right, that time, Dalot was too inexperienced and injured a lot, actually he had a long term injury about the time AWB came in.

Glorio

I really didn't see a decent game yesterday from him. Maybe better than he usually is where they target him and dribble past him at will, but winning uncontested headers doesn't mean much.
He wasn't really an attacking threat and defensively there was a continuous period in the second half where he was marking no one and was stationary while the ball was pinging around the right side of our box. I wondered if he was knackered, but then I saw him actually start running at pace the other way later in the game.

Better but not good

Ixion

Some of you all must be brexiters or something they way you pine for AWB and Shaw.

Dalot did well, he won the ball at the back post from crosses 4-5 times, tracked back well, and tidied things up repeatedly. He made the most interceptions and clearances in the team, and the 2nd most tackles. A mistake in the first half doesn't mean everything else was shit.

Last edited:

NoLogo

He was alright yesterday. Defensively much better in the second half, first half he looked a bit shaky at times. His crossing is really not great though.

Still, we currently don't have a top-quality right FB, neither Dalot nor AWB are at the required level of quality we need.

Oranges038

Did alright.

I'd call it a bare minimum RB performance and he should be doing that and more every week.

MOTM he was not.

JoaquinJoaquin

Was not the MOTM for me, but I think he had a pretty good game.

Has to be the starter now, as it's clear AWB just isn't good enough and Dalot is better than him. Looking like another position we may have to try and upgrade in Summer though.

Foxbatt

He does over lap and if Mason's passing was better he wouldn't have to stretch out to cross. He certainly is a better football player than AWB.
Do we need to upgrade on him. Of course we do. Is it the first priority? No. Two midfield players are much more needed now.

Ixion

He cost £19m to AWB's potentially £50m and is 2 years younger. I think he and Telles £15m are pretty good signings overall.

flameinthesun

He cost £19m to AWB's potentially £50m and is 2 years younger. I think he and Telles £15m are pretty good signings overall.
Honestly, I never looked at it that way. It feels like dalot has been here forever but you are correct. If anything I think dalot would be a good backup rb with the occasional starting place challenge. So for that price its pretty good value. What it also highlights more than anything is how much of a poor signing in general AWB was.

Remember the geese

Either him or Wan Bissaka need to leave to make way for Laird. Not sure which one though, as both of them are a different variant of average.

Adamsk7

I forget that he’s 22. IMO he has more scope to develop than AWB and is a better footballer overall. I at least feel safer that if he gets passed the ball he’s not gonna just lump it forward or do something that seems so any football (dodgy pass yesterday aside!). He does have a good cross on him but he’s a little panicky in this area currently but I think that’ll improve. Yesterday I liked that after a very poor first half, he dusted himself off and was considerably more solid in the second.
Probably not THE answer at RB but he’s the best we have right now.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's shown a slow gradual progression but he's still just a ok-ish player. There's still nothing particularly standout from him.
He's just sort of there doing the bare minimum.

Upgrading on him, and AWB, shouldn't be too difficult.

Surprised he received MOTM from certain people though. Thought there were atleast 2,3 individuals who were much more influential last night.

Ixion

I think he and Telles for what they both cost are ideal squad players. They might not have the ceiling of Shaw but they're useful players to have around, I'm glad Rangnick is letting them get games instead of rotting like Ole.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He is absolutely ok nothing more nothing less. We need to call a turd a turd and stop trying to polish it into a gold nugget. It just shows the lack of standards set by AWB that people think he is a very good player.
Dalot is a ok player, Telles in the other hand is just terrible not even going to try to polish him.
difference is Dalot clearly still has a lot of improvement in him that only confidence and experience will bring. He hasn’t got near his peak yet and he’s doing well. Telles at his physical peak is a decent squad player. He might start playing better at some point but physically he’s probably never going to be much better than he is at this point in time again.

Last edited:

Donut

It is pretty obvious that he is not good enough for us long term, while I still have some hope for AWB. Same goes for Telles and Shaw.

Banana Republic

Dalot is still young for a demanding role like FB.
Apart from Brandon Williams, who's a year younger, but out on loan, Dalot is our youngest senior squad FB at 22 yrs old.
He had a fairly decent loan spell last season at AC Milan and deserves a consistent run of games before being judged as harshly as he has been since he started here as a teenager
Note that he was only 20 when he went to Milan, after a lengthy spell of injuries.

For the record.
Telles is 29 (so not so long term)
Shaw is 26 (27 in July)
AWB is 24

Sancho will also be 22 in March and Rashford's defenders keep saying he has loads of time to develop and he's two years older than Dalot at 24.

Let's give the lad a chance. It's not as if most of his critics' favourites aren't crap as well this season.
If he doesn't make the grade, fair enough.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

I'll be honest, I wrote Dalot off years ago. I thought he was a rubbish defender with a bit of a shimmy and a half-decent cross.

I've been surprised by him looking a competent option in the Premier League.

Does he look like the second coming of Gary Neville? No. However, he's well defended some good players recently. Plus he's still getting forward and, even if his crossing remains inconsistent, it gives defenders enough to think about to allow Mason more space.

I'm pleased to have been proven wrong about him being not up to English football. I hope he proves me even more wrong by becoming a top level right back.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We should have a really good idea by the end of the season if he’s the answer at RB. I suspect not and we’ll need to either invest or promote Laird, but I’m happy enough it looks like he’s gonna have a real chance to make his claim.

lex talionis

Diogo was very good last night. Room for further improvement on his crossing, but this was a solid job done performance.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm probably his biggest critic but yesterday was solid from him. That said he's far from a United RB. Too weak in his offensive abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.