Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

So many people were shitting on Dalot in favour of AWB before the start of preseason. Lot of humble pie being eaten at the moment.
While I am not o w of them, but I think their points is fair. Da lot greatest feat doesn't amount to AwB's best. However, since we have to look forward; it looks like Dalot predictably has a more suitable profile for EtH's style. Dalot has done very well during this pre season. Hope he keep up. Still early to draw a line though. Dalot needs to prove himself in competitive games where it matters.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I backed him to succed in Ten Hag system because he suits playing as a full back that tucks in but I'm surprised how much of a threat he's been while overlapping

mu4c_20le

So many people were shitting on Dalot in favour of AWB before the start of preseason. Lot of humble pie being eaten at the moment.
Whoa easy there, AWB actually had one good season. To be a successful full back you have to be able to defend, unless your name is Trent. Let's hope he can improve on that aspect as well.

redcucumber

While I am not o w of them, but I think their points is fair. Da lot greatest feat doesn't amount to AwB's best. However, since we have to look forward; it looks like Dalot predictably has a more suitable profile for EtH's style. Dalot has done very well during this pre season. Hope he keep up. Still early to draw a line though. Dalot needs to prove himself in competitive games where it matters.
What's AWB best feature? Slide tackling?

Whoa easy there, AWB actually had one good season. To be a successful full back you have to be able to defend, unless your name is Trent. Let's hope he can improve on that aspect as well.
Of course. I'd argue that AWB isn't actually that good a defender, though. Decent to good for a team like Palace, but not for United. Going forward he's barely Championship level. AWB has very few redeeming features.

Edit. I don't want to turn this into a slanging match about AWB. Let's just enjoy the progress of Dalot (still think a right back to be brought in, with AWB sold).

ti vu

What's AWB best feat? Slide tackling?
Man marking some best wingers in the league out of the game. Limited use, but nonetheless something valuable in certain circumstances, which Dalot has shown he's capable of.

redcucumber

Man marking some best wingers in the league out of the game. Limited use, but nonetheless something valuable in certain circumstances, which Dalot has shown he's capable of.
Tuanzebe dominated Mbappe. It means little. AWB has been here for 4 years - there's plenty of data to look at as opposed to a handle full of games.

Abraxas

I don't think it's that valuable. Having a player on your books just to man mark somebody once in a blue moon sounds more wasteful than valuable. It's not really a role that is used very often anymore.

ti vu

I don't think it's that valuable. Having a player on your books just to man mark somebody once in a blue moon sounds more wasteful than valuable. It's not really a role that is used very often anymore.
I am not talking about AWB value in the squad. I was saying about his previous value in Ole tenure where Ole just wanted to contained opposition threat and hit on counter. At his best AWB's feat is greater than Dalot has shown.

Tuanzebe dominated Mbappe. It means little. AWB has been here for 4 years - there's plenty of data to look at as opposed to a handle full of games.
Yes. I am aware it's all past. Read my previous post.

No. Tuanzebe didn't dominate Mbappe. Mbappe had his wasteful days, which he has quite a few even during his best form.

Abraxas

I am not talking about AWB value in the squad. I was saying about his previous value in Ole tenure where Ole just wanted to contained opposition threat and hit on counter. At his best AWB's feat is greater than Dalot has shown.

No. Tuanzebe didn't dominate Mbappe. Mbappe had his wasteful days, which he has quite a few even during his best form.
The problem is Dalot doesn't need to match a one off feat of man marking. If we give AWB a 10/10 for those types of performances then that is cool, but managers like Ralf and ETH are not finding as much value in it. I believe you have made this point but then you still revert back to what is a "feat" but that is strictly relevant to Ole, and those individual matches rather than having ongoing merit.

Managers that want to drill proactive, possession based football want a consistency of execution as that's how they can take the training ground onto the matchday pitch. That's probably why a Dalot 6.5/10 is more appealing to them than AWBs occasional man of the match marking job. And when AWB puts in his own 6.5/10, then...

theatreofdreams777

Dalot is more than capable when it comes to defending though and you don't necesarily need to be a rock solid defender to be a top fullback in today's game & especially when your team's playing style and qualities allow that. Dani Alves was the best RB of his generation yet his defending was suspect. Trent is another example. Marcelo at LB too. And there are many more.

A fullback's attacking contributions have been far more valuable than their defending in the last 10-15 years game. The best RBs & LBs have always been the attacking ones in that period.

ti vu

The problem is Dalot doesn't need to match a one off feat of man marking. If we give AWB a 10/10 for those types of performances then that is cool, but managers like Ralf and ETH are not finding as much value in it. I believe you have made this point but then you still revert back to what is a "feat" but that is strictly relevant to Ole, and those individual matches rather than having ongoing merit.

Managers that want to drill proactive, possession based football want a consistency of execution as that's how they can take the training ground onto the matchday pitch. That's probably why a Dalot 6.5/10 is more appealing to them than AWBs occasional man of the match marking job. And when AWB puts in his own 6.5/10, then...
I am not sure what you're arguing here.

The point being that AWB had his use, and had higher point games. Dalot is better suitable in this style, but he's yet put in performance that you may be reluctant to purchase Hakimi if he's hypothetically available.

AWB is an expensive short sighted mistake. Even so, Dalot has a way to prove himself. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Peace

redcucumber

Ey? I did read your previous post. You didn't say anything about it being in the past. Read your post.

So Tuanzebe didn't mark Mbappe out of the game - Mbappe just a 'wasteful' day, but AWB did mark the best players in the league out of those games. Seems like you're picking and choosing to suit your argument.

ti vu

Ey? I did read your previous post. You didn't say anything about it being in the past. Read your post.

So Tuanzebe didn't mark Mbappe out of the game - Mbappe just a 'wasteful' day, but AWB did mark the best players in the league out of those games. Seems like you're picking and choosing to suit your argument.

Even from a highlight, beside an one vs one shoulder to shoulder, and an aerial duel foul, Tuanzebe didn't have a stand out performance. Sleeping to lose Kurzawa from Mbappe cross. Without hindsight, Tuanzebe performance was truly overrated, and in the same CL campaign, he was soon got found out.

That's not comparable to how AWB shut down in form Sterling, Martial dribbling on the wing

Blood Mage

Was always a promising talent who just needed a good coach to develop under. A better footballer in his sleep than Wan Bissaka.

redcucumber

Even from a highlight, beside an one vs one shoulder to shoulder, and an aerial duel foul, Tuanzebe didn't have a stand out performance. Sleeping to lose Kurzawa from Mbappe cross. Without hindsight, Tuanzebe performance was truly overrated, and in the same CL campaign, he was soon got found out.

That's not comparable to how AWB shut down in form Sterling, Martial dribbling on the wing
Your link doesn't work. The vast majority of people were impressed with his performance against PSG (and Mbappe). If you think it was truly overrated, whatever.

ti vu

Your link doesn't work. The vast majority of people were impressed with his performance against PSG (and Mbappe). If you think it was truly overrated, whatever.

I don't share those people opinion. See how many creamed over Telles debut, when I was in the few who knew Telles from his Serie A days, and opposed about his signing. Look how thing pan out for Telles now after new signing welcome period.

redcucumber

I don't share those people opinion. See how many creamed over Telles debut, when I was in the few who knew Telles from his Serie A days, and opposed about his signing. Look how thing pan out for Telles now after new signing welcome period.
The entire point of this conversation was that a few good performances mean sod all in the grand scheme of things. Hence why AWB performing a handful of times isn't representative of him as a player.

ti vu

The entire point of this conversation was that a few good performances mean sod all in the grand scheme of things. Hence why AWB performing a handful of times isn't representative of him as a player.
And the jury is still out whether Dalot can even perform for a handful at similar level.

I am not even AWB defender (look at old AWB thread). I just found the whole jumping on the bandwagon premature. Positive sign for Dalot, but let's not get carried away.

redcucumber

And the jury is still out whether Dalot can even perform for a handful at similar level.

I am not even AWB defender (look at old AWB thread). I just found the whole jumping on the bandwagon premature. Positive sign for Dalot, but let's not get carried away.
Of course. People are just enthusiastic about what we are seeing and is that such a bad thing? We've had a torrid time of it lately.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I had given up on him completely but looks like he is first choice for Eth. He has done well in the preseason too.

ti vu

Of course. People are just enthusiastic about what we are seeing and is that such a bad thing? We've had a torrid time of it lately.
Your initial post came off as calling out other AWB backer. Not just mere enthusiasm.

Before this argument, you can see all the poster can share the positive without having to take sides. Peace.

redcucumber

Your initial post came off as calling out other AWB backer. Not just mere enthusiasm.

Before this argument, you can see all the poster can share the positive without having to take sides. Peace.
They both play right back and there has been extensive discussion over who should be starting and which will ten Hag prefer. Obviously that is going to be brought up. Ciao.

OleGunnar20

Looking very promising, fair play to him. I think many of us had full on written him off.

Great attitude and a decently balanced skillset. A little luck with injuries and some consistent gametime and who knows, perhaps he can lock that position down.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I really like him. He has his flaws but there’s a player in there for sure.

Olecurls99

Never understood the talk of him offering nothing. I mean he had to work on his defending, but people saying he was no better on the ball than Bissaka were crazy. The lad has fantastic ability.

MiracleInMadrid

Never understood the talk of him offering nothing. I mean he had to work on his defending, but people saying he was no better on the ball than Bissaka were crazy. The lad has fantastic ability.
I think a lot of the criticism has been based on his stats. Cross efficiency, tackles, aerial duels etc.

I think his biggest contribution, as opposed to AWB, is his calmness and much better technical ability in the build-up play fase. Also how that affects his teammates. I sense that some of them will have to play a certain way to cope with the limitations of AWB. He doesn't shit himself as much as AWB, and seems far more collected when pressured. His better technique allows him to look up more and thereby be more aware of his options. AWB is looking down a lot, which prevents him from playing fast. All in all things that doesn't neccesarily reflects in his stats.

city-puma

AWB had been good in his first two seasons and developed ok. It’s a mystery why he suddenly lost himself, all accelerated from that red card he received in young boys game. Our whole team also started falling apart around the similar period.

Olecurls99

I think a lot of the criticism has been based on his stats. Cross efficiency, tackles, aerial duels etc.

I think his biggest contribution, as opposed to AWB, is his calmness and much better technical ability in the build-up play fase. Also how that affects his teammates. I sense that some of them will have to play a certain way to cope with the limitations of AWB. He doesn't shit himself as much as AWB, and seems far more collected when pressured. His better technique allows him to look up more and thereby be more aware of his options. AWB is looking down a lot, which prevents him from playing fast. All in all things that doesn't neccesarily reflects in his stats.
Agreed, he's much more suited to an attack minded team and it mainly comes down to technique

Trex

He wasn’t in the matchday squad. Nobody ever gave a shit what time footballers watching from the stands leave OT. The only reason it’s an issue now is because Ronaldo left with them.
Exactly, was Rashford, Shaw, Sancho even in attendance, if you're not in the matchday squad you're like a policeman off duty you can do whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.