Height: 183cm
Position: Defender - Right-Back
Foot: Right
Player Agent: Proeleven S.A.
Squad Number: #20
Contract until: Jun 30, 2023
Outfitter: Nike​

Olecurls99

Showed what he could do last year. One of the best passing full backs in the league. Great in the tackle too.

I reckon he could have a fantastic season for us this year. The whole team should be better than last year and that'll only help him.

Pickle85

Showed what he could do last year. One of the best passing full backs in the league. Great in the tackle too.

I reckon he could have a fantastic season for us this year. The whole team should be better than last year and that'll only help him.
You sure you're in the right thread?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Not sure I agree with your analysis, I think he hasn’t shown much past an average level as yet but I think he’s going to start as first pick RB, so it’s in his hands. Or feet

Olecurls99

You sure you're in the right thread?
Stats against all other full backs in Europe.

Progressive passing 83%
Completed long passes 90%
Passes into final 3rd 91%
Tackles 90%
Tackles won 87%

Yep I'm in the Diogo Dalot is gonna be class thread. He can run with the ball too.

Pickle85

Progressive passing 83%
Tackles 90%
Tackles won 87%

Yep I'm in the Diogo Dalot is gonna be class thread
I love the optimism and definitely hope it turns out that way! In fairness, those stats are surprising but every time I've seen him he's looked somewhere between poor and ok. Fingers crossed for a true breakout season!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Progressive passing 83%
Tackles 90%
Tackles won 87%

Yep I'm in the Diogo Dalot is gonna be class thread. He can run with the ball too.
Does this include all the fullbacks from all the shit leagues in Europe? Because if so, you can't really read into the percentiles.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Don't think he's good enough, but he certainly has tried to succeed.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's not dynamic enough for ETH system imo. Although ability wise he's still better potential than AWB who I think will still go back to be a better player once he gets himself on the right track because simply he can be a world class defender.

I would also hope that one of Dalot, AWB, Williams, Laird will step up and we won't suffer in this key position.. Perhaps Elanga could be made into a nice modern fullback..

SAFMUTD

What?

OmarUnited4ever

He's not dynamic enough for ETH system imo. Although ability wise he's still better potential than AWB who I think will still go back to be a better player once he gets himself on the right track because simply he can be a world class defender.

I would also hope that one of Dalot, AWB, Williams, Laird will step up and we won't suffer in this key position.. Perhaps Elanga could be made into a nice modern fullback..
What do you mean by the bolded part?

Dalot has a lot of deficiencies in his game, but one of the few things going for him is his athleticism, stamina and strength, of course being athletic does not make him a good RB, but Dalot has the necessary physical tools to play as RB in the PL

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
https://fbref.com/en/players/d9565625/Diogo-Dalot

His stats do look oddly good, 86thpercentile for progressive passes, 90th for tackles, 95th for clearances and 66th for shot creating actions, maybe he would be helped with some good coaching a consistent winger in front of him
He was one of the better players in a shite team. Same as Fred. You’ll have people say they aren’t good enough because they only played well in a team that finished 6th but you can only play with whoever else is on your team and most of them didn’t look arsed at all. I think Fred and Dalot will pick up where they left off and both have good seasons

Ollie Derbyshire

I like him but he can’t cross for toffee, he has a thunder foot that over hits pretty much every cross he’s ever tried. IF they can get him to be a bit more accurate then I’d have no issue with him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He was one of the better players in a shite team. Same as Fred. You’ll have people say they aren’t good enough because they only played well in a team that finished 6th but you can only play with whoever else is on your team and most of them didn’t look arsed at all. I think Fred and Dalot will pick up where they left off and both have good seasons
Good opportunity for him this season to kick on with some real coaching, good system and everyone hopefully knows what they are doing

Lost bear

Progressive passing 83%
Tackles 90%
Tackles won 87%

It doesn’t, though, sound like the player I watched last season.

Leonzo1

The man seriously needs to work on his Crossing. Seems like each one of his crosses goes out of play.

OleGunnar20

Progressive passing 83%
Tackles 90%
Tackles won 87%

Very surprising stats. Double checked Fbref and they look right, mad. My impression of him last year was painfully average at best.

Have always liked his attitude mind you, he's got that fire which reminds me a little of Rafael. It looks likely he'll be our starting RB going into the season so, fingers crossed he grabs this opportunity with both hands and excels.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Good opportunity for him this season to kick on with some real coaching, good system and everyone hopefully knows what they are doing
If you don’t want to have to pay 50 million for every player you have to develop them through the weaker parts of their game and the intensity of the league. Nothing else is going to work apart from endless loans. Dalot was a very highly rated youth. The likes of Dortmund and Wolves were sniffing around when there was talk of us letting him go last summer. Who’s in for AWB? Back to palace for half price or a loan? Says it all really. People do really need to show a bit more patience with players trying to make it here in their early 20s, especially the ones who are obviously giving it their all.

Smores

Does come across as a player that could step up in a year or two. He sometimes gets lost but his defensive deficiencies are way overstated.

On the other handed agree with the above his crossing needs a lot of work but that's easy to work on.

He looks like a good fit for the ETH system to me, he's always been quite good at linking up the play in quick pass and move.

NZT-One

Find it pretty suprising that people are as optimistic about him. On a -10 to +10 scale for a game-to-game evaluation, he is usually around 0-1, rarely down to -3 or -4, usually not worse. But he also never has been any better than +3 for me... I totally agree, we should give our young players chances and we should be fine, when they show some sort of consistency. But at least once in a while, you would want to see something that reassures you that there is potential.
What potential has Dalot? That he looked slightly less awkward with the ball than Wan-Bissaka? He sure did but is that really something to rest your head on? I'd probably rather try playing Laird there and keep AWB as a backup, than keeping Dalot. Maybe, we could make some money with him, add a RB veteran or something.

Coincidentally, on my scale DvB had a very similar characteristic. Never the worst, never the best. That certainly is also a quality, but a club with ambitions should aim for more. Play Laird, Mejbri and Garner on a regular basis, if it doesn't work, at least we know in a year and can adjust the recruitment plans. Dalot hits all the marks to become a become the next Lingard or McTominay. You could get worse, sure, but whats the point in wasting time. With Donny at least you could say in a possession based system he might look totally different. But what about Dalot - he isn't dynamic, skilled and aggressive enough to be an attacking wingback. But he is also not great with his passes or ball handling for a Cancelo-like role of a tucked in RB-to-RM.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
What do you mean by the bolded part?

Dalot has a lot of deficiencies in his game, but one of the few things going for him is his athleticism, stamina and strength, of course being athletic does not make him a good RB, but Dalot has the necessary physical tools to play as RB in the PL
He never looked exactly quick on turn and running up and down the pitch I'd argue he's rather average compared to more athletic fullbacks.. Physically he's strong and win headers but never thought about him as an athletic player much... We will see a big difference in Malacia on the other side I'd say..

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'd agree with Fred, but not so much Dalot. He did have a good period when Rangnick first bought him into the starting line-up (something that a lot of people do seem to forget), but after that he was very average.

Dalot does have the raw tools that could work in a system like ETH will likely be implementing, so I'm not completely writing him off. But I wouldn't exactly say I'm optimistic about his chances.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I’m always surprised people think of him as slow. Looks quick in my opinion, so I tried to google it.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...in-manchester-uniteds-squad-20190803.amp.html

Turned out, he was clocked in at 36,43 km/t when Lukaku leaked a few numbers from pre-season in ‘19. You could argue he is not that «quick off the mark» (is that correct english?), but with that top speed he is unlikely to be very slow either. 185 cm, very fast and competitive. In theory, he should be better. I can understand why Mourinho had high hopes for him.

OmarUnited4ever

He never looked exactly quick on turn and running up and down the pitch I'd argue he's rather average compared to more athletic fullbacks.. Physically he's strong and win headers but never thought about him as an athletic player much... We will see a big difference in Malacia on the other side I'd say..
I think he is bit quick on the turn but the bolded part is correct I guess, he is athletically average as TAA or Cancelo, compared to someone like Walker for example.

Trex

I think where he needs to improve is his 1v1 defending(its already better than it use to be) and his final ball, he is quite good at other stuff.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's athletic but a bit dim footballing wise. But then i thought the same about Walker, and the latter turns out pretty good.

Andersonson

He reminds me of Valencia. Very steady player who rarely plays awful and cant cross. I think he will nail down that RB spot and hopefully take a step or two

Mcking

As it looks like we won't be bringing in a right back, I hope he does well enough to stay ahead of Wan-Bissaka. I think he showed last season that he definitely has something for a coach of Ten Hag's standing to work with.

He was much improved physically, a presence at set-pieces, defends the back post well, doesn't have any particular deficiency in possession of the ball, and he links well with the winger. I'm comfortable with him as first choice this season.

AdNani

anyone notice the Overlapping run for Bruno's cross that led to Sanchos goal, so simple but we didn't see anyone doing that last season, created the space for Bruno to get the cross in.

Cloud7

I have faith in him coming good. At the very least I still much prefer him to AWB

Real Name

Again a very good game. Constantly active, constantly running, finding spaces and give his all. Makes a good combination with Jadon.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is playing well, good chance he will be first choice RB this season.

Bwuk

Him and Sancho link up very well down the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.