Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

Really good at building play. Most of the time you do expect him to find a good inside pass that will set an attacking midfielder on their way. He's also shown he can deliver some quality from nearer the byline which was a major problem area for him last year when everything was going into row Z.

Abraxas

Yeah I've seen your praise in other threads. I don't want to imply that you are wrong (if that is even possible with opinions) I just don't see it. Malacia did put a foot wrong in the first half when he was overrun at least one or two times. Doesn't mean he is bad or something. Same with Dalot. Again, I understand that he looks better than AWB did for us. But when compared to elite fullbacks, the rift is huge. Again, not a dig at Dalot, he is young. But at some point, I expect him to show something exceptional. What is it, what you are seeing in terms of qualities? To me it looks like he is becoming the McTominay of RB. A player who tries to avoid making any mistakes ending up with numb performances where you can't remember anything of note.

His best action today was getting a pen. Lets face it, in no world would he have been able to control that ball, going down drawing the pen was all he could hope for.
Hang on, didn't he create a good chance for Bruno as well?

So in a game where we didn't create rafts of chances our right back wins a penalty and creates a clear opportunity in the time he's on the pitch, as well as generally doing his job and you still have cause to gripe?

I'd honestly like to know what you see as a good performance for a fullback.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Very impressed with him. Intelligent player too. That pick out of Bruno edge of the box deserved a goal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah I've seen your praise in other threads. I don't want to imply that you are wrong (if that is even possible with opinions) I just don't see it. Malacia did put a foot wrong in the first half when he was overrun at least one or two times. Doesn't mean he is bad or something. Same with Dalot. Again, I understand that he looks better than AWB did for us. But when compared to elite fullbacks, the rift is huge. Again, not a dig at Dalot, he is young. But at some point, I expect him to show something exceptional. What is it, what you are seeing in terms of qualities? To me it looks like he is becoming the McTominay of RB. A player who tries to avoid making any mistakes ending up with numb performances where you can't remember anything of note.

His best action today was getting a pen. Lets face it, in no world would he have been able to control that ball, going down drawing the pen was all he could hope for.
Physically he's well rounded, he has always been very good aerially and rarely gets beat in the air which is a nice bonus, he's been very good for quite some time and improving in terms of his progressive passing from deep to find attackers in good positions/passing through the lines, he overlaps and supports well, his final ball has improved (played the very good ball to Bruno for his change that was saved and played multiple other good crosses this season), and defensively there's been absolutely nothing to complain about playing alongside Varane! It's a small sample, long way to go, and no he won't be a TAA (before this season..) or Reece James or Cancelo who are absolutely brilliant players, but he's turned into a very well rounded right back and has in no way been a weak link in the slightest since he's played with Ten Hag. It's not the "McTominay of RB", he is doing everything we need him to do to a high level and suits the team.

He's 23. He's so young for a right back still, a position that players often take time to really get going. But he has progressed really well and is looking like a very good fit on the right. And he's consistent too. Doesn't pick up many injuries. What's not to like? A constant 7/10 essentially is what he's turning into which is exactly what you want.

Sylar

I don't see why so many are celebrating him. Again, he has been alright, but both out fullbacks have been dire today.
Saying they were dire is very very harsh.
Unless dire means something else to you?

He did well today given the opposition and what was needed today. He's getting forward well

Very improved under eth and something he needed, a coach to help him

NZT-One

Hang on, didn't he create a good chance for Bruno as well?
Can't remember it. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. But there is a chance that I didn't value the chance as high as you did.

So in a game where we didn't create rafts of chances our right back wins a penalty and creates a clear opportunity in the time he's on the pitch, as well as generally doing his job and you still have cause to gripe?
Apparently yes :) Look, as so often, I am not trying to indicate that he was bad. But "generally doing his job" isn't something I am going to rave about. The spectrum in my eyes is bad performances, normal performances and good performances. Dalot is the epitome for normal performances. Sometimes a little more than that. Sometimes a little lower (granted, that was mostly last year and the year before, this season he has been consistently decent).

Maybe I am scarred from the Shaw hype two years ago. Didn't see it back then even if Statman Dave pulled some stats out of somewhere picturing Shaw at that time to be the best LB in the league. And now this is starting again with Dalot. It is all within the United bubble, never heard his name being used by anybody else.

I'd honestly like to know what you see as a good performance for a fullback.
Well that depends on what the manager wants. From what I understand, he wants the fullbacks to push into the middle so our midfielders can join the attack. Doesn't really happen though and Dalots passing while being overall alright, isn't anything to celebrate about. He is also not taking any risks but I wouldn't beat him with that as that might be connected with his role.
On the other hand ETH seems to expect his wingers to stay wide to broaden the pitch. When this is the case somebody has to make use of the room generated. Be that the midfielders or the underlapping fullbacks. It doesn't happen though.
For me personally, I'd love to have somebody like Evra at fullback. In terms of being an endless motor, great mentality, dynamic, physical workrate. But I'd put my money more on Malacia to get there than I'd bet on Dalot. I just don't see it. He isn't a bad player. Just like Darmian wasn't a bad player.

NZT-One

Physically he's well rounded, he has always been very good aerially and rarely gets beat in the air which is a nice bonus, he's been very good for quite some time and improving in terms of his progressive passing from deep to find attackers in good positions/passing through the lines, he overlaps and supports well, his final ball has improved (played the very good ball to Bruno for his change that was saved and played multiple other good crosses this season), and defensively there's been absolutely nothing to complain about playing alongside Varane! It's a small sample, long way to go, and no he won't be a TAA (before this season..) or Reece James or Cancelo who are absolutely brilliant players, but he's turned into a very well rounded right back and has in no way been a weak link in the slightest since he's played with Ten Hag. It's not the "McTominay of RB", he is doing everything we need him to do to a high level and suits the team.

He's 23. He's so young for a right back still, a position that players often take time to really get going. But he has progressed really well and is looking like a very good fit on the right. And he's consistent too. Doesn't pick up many injuries. What's not to like? A constant 7/10 essentially is what he's turning into which is exactly what you want.
7 out of 10?? Really? For what? For being decent? Well I guess we have different understandings of such a rating, to me, he usually is a 5 out of 10. But on the same side, I haven't seen a performance from somebody in a United shirt that was above 8 in the last 2 years.

I wouldn't argue against your description of his qualities. But I think it is ignoring that he still has lapsuses of concentration, is dribbled past very easily in all games. It has gotten better this year, as with most players in our team and believe I am happy that he at least got somewhat consistent as RB is one of the bigger issues in our squad.

Still to nail down a place at United long term, you need to show something that is exceptional. And I haven't seen anything to suggest, that this might be in him somewhere.

NZT-One

Saying they were dire is very very harsh.
Unless dire means something else to you?

He did well today given the opposition and what was needed today. He's getting forward well

Very improved under eth and something he needed, a coach to help him
Seeing what others saying, I'd come to the conclusion, that you are right. Calling it dire was too harsh. Probably just worded it like that to balance the level of praise that I thought isn't justified. I'd agree to all the other things you said, he did well and he did improve. I guess, I just see the extent of that as smaller than some of his fans.

bosnian_red

7 out of 10?? Really? For what? For being decent? Well I guess we have different understandings of such a rating, to me, he usually is a 5 out of 10. But on the same side, I haven't seen a performance from somebody in a United shirt that was above 8 in the last 2 years.

I wouldn't argue against your description of his qualities. But I think it is ignoring that he still has lapsuses of concentration, is dribbled past very easily in all games. It has gotten better this year, as with most players in our team and believe I am happy that he at least got somewhat consistent as RB is one of the bigger issues in our squad.

Still to nail down a place at United long term, you need to show something that is exceptional. And I haven't seen anything to suggest, that this might be in him somewhere.
I don't think he needs to be exceptional at anything in particular. Good to very good in pretty much every department is what he can be, which suits what is being asked of him.

7/10 is the rating I would say is fair for not making mistakes defensively or on the ball, providing a good support option, passing it into attackers well, keeping a clean sheet, winning a pen and creating a good chance for Bruno? This has basically been his standard level this season and throughout preseason too.

I feel like you're expecting our fullbacks to be TAA or Cancelo level on the ball and impeccable defensively as a bare minimum or something. Come back to reality and see that Dalot and Malacia have both been good to very good this season in pretty much every game.

NZT-One

I don't think he needs to be exceptional at anything in particular. Good to very good in pretty much every department is what he can be, which suits what is being asked of him.

7/10 is the rating I would say is fair for not making mistakes defensively or on the ball, providing a good support option, passing it into attackers well, keeping a clean sheet, winning a pen and creating a good chance for Bruno? This has basically been his standard level this season and throughout preseason too.

I feel like you're expecting our fullbacks to be TAA or Cancelo level on the ball and impeccable defensively as a bare minimum or something. Come back to reality and see that Dalot and Malacia have both been good to very good this season in pretty much every game.
That is big talk, reality and stuff. To me, 5 out of 10 means that somebody played like he is expected to play: so exactly what you listed - not making mistakes defensively or on the ball, providing a good support option, passing it into attackers well, keeping a clean sheet, winning a pen and creating a good chance for Bruno? I'll give you the pen but apart from that, all you listed is something that should be expected from any player at a topclub like ManUtd. I don't even want to beat the player with that, I just don't see the need to big up players. I don't get your rating system probably, because it sounds like TAA and Cancelo receiving 8 out of 10s in every game. Heck, Dalot even had one completely insane pass directly across the penalty box which was intercepted by the opponent. Can happen to anybody of course but it is a mistake, which probably balances out the pen he won. Or at least the glorious chance for Bruno, that I can't even remember. Incredible, how lucky we have been to witness something unheard of: fullback creating a chance, sure that must be above average.... Aren't we a professional football team anymore? Sometimes, those things sound to me as if people are ready to hand out plus points for not missing the fecking team bus.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His performances have really softened me up, I'm fast becoming a fan.

Rossa

Has his fitness levels gone up a fee levels, like almost Liverpool-esque? His stamina looks miles better, literally, than beginning of last season. His acceleration is sharper, and his top speed is downright great. Looks much stronger in physical duels as well.

His technique was always good, but he just looks so much better physically.

Sviken

He looks like a totally different player than what he was a year or even two ago. From a below average player to world class. Hopefully he keeps his form because we need him.

NZT-One

He looks like a totally different player than what he was a year or even two ago. From a below average player to world class. Hopefully he keeps his form because we need him.
Oh come on... Toxic positivity is running rings :D

bosnian_red

That is big talk, reality and stuff. To me, 5 out of 10 means that somebody played like he is expected to play: so exactly what you listed - not making mistakes defensively or on the ball, providing a good support option, passing it into attackers well, keeping a clean sheet, winning a pen and creating a good chance for Bruno? I'll give you the pen but apart from that, all you listed is something that should be expected from any player at a topclub like ManUtd. I don't even want to beat the player with that, I just don't see the need to big up players. I don't get your rating system probably, because it sounds like TAA and Cancelo receiving 8 out of 10s in every game. Heck, Dalot even had one completely insane pass directly across the penalty box which was intercepted by the opponent. Can happen to anybody of course but it is a mistake, which probably balances out the pen he won. Or at least the glorious chance for Bruno, that I can't even remember. Incredible, how lucky we have been to witness something unheard of: fullback creating a chance, sure that must be above average.... Aren't we a professional football team anymore? Sometimes, those things sound to me as if people are ready to hand out plus points for not missing the fecking team bus.
You got some very weird ratings then, have to say. I look at ratings the same way I look at grades at school basically. 6/10 is what everyone starts at essentially, it is a performance where a player didn't stand out but did nothing wrong. 5/10 is "below par" performance, 7/10 is "good/above average", 8/10 very good, 9/10 is motm level and 10/10 is pretty much a perfect performance. Below 5's is hard to get in a winning team. Most places give ratings in a similar way too. Anyway, whatever, irrelevant.

Dalot played a very nice cut back for Bruno which the goalkeeper saved with his feet well in the second half at the near post. But yeah, Dalot had a good game, so he gets a 7/10. It's nothing complicated, and it's harsh to give him anything less than a 7 as he had a good game. And he has been good in just about every game this season once we got our shit together.

NZT-One

You got some very weird ratings then, have to say. I look at ratings the same way I look at grades at school basically. 6/10 is what everyone starts at essentially, it is a performance where a player didn't stand out but did nothing wrong. 5/10 is "below par" performance, 7/10 is "good/above average", 8/10 very good, 9/10 is motm level and 10/10 is pretty much a perfect performance. Below 5's is hard to get in a winning team. Most places give ratings in a similar way too. Anyway, whatever, irrelevant.

Dalot played a very nice cut back for Bruno which the goalkeeper saved with his feet well in the second half at the near post. But yeah, Dalot had a good game, so he gets a 7/10. It's nothing complicated, and it's harsh to give him anything less than a 7 as he had a good game. And he has been good in just about every game this season once we got our shit together.
But isn't 5/10 a par performance and not 6? I mean, that would indicate the math wouldn't it :D otherwise, you'd only have 4 grades to describe good performances but 5 for bad ones.

I agree with the bolded part. Seems like the only difference is that you call something good but give a grade that (to me) seems very good, while I'd consider him as decent to good and give him a 5.5-6/10.
What would a 4 goals Messi against Real Madrid mean in terms of grades? If Dalot is already receiving a 7, would Prime Messi then only receive 11/10s?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Can't remember it. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. But there is a chance that I didn't value the chance as high as you did.

Apparently yes :) Look, as so often, I am not trying to indicate that he was bad. But "generally doing his job" isn't something I am going to rave about. The spectrum in my eyes is bad performances, normal performances and good performances. Dalot is the epitome for normal performances. Sometimes a little more than that. Sometimes a little lower (granted, that was mostly last year and the year before, this season he has been consistently decent).

Maybe I am scarred from the Shaw hype two years ago. Didn't see it back then even if Statman Dave pulled some stats out of somewhere picturing Shaw at that time to be the best LB in the league. And now this is starting again with Dalot. It is all within the United bubble, never heard his name being used by anybody else.

Well that depends on what the manager wants. From what I understand, he wants the fullbacks to push into the middle so our midfielders can join the attack. Doesn't really happen though and Dalots passing while being overall alright, isn't anything to celebrate about. He is also not taking any risks but I wouldn't beat him with that as that might be connected with his role.
On the other hand ETH seems to expect his wingers to stay wide to broaden the pitch. When this is the case somebody has to make use of the room generated. Be that the midfielders or the underlapping fullbacks. It doesn't happen though.
For me personally, I'd love to have somebody like Evra at fullback. In terms of being an endless motor, great mentality, dynamic, physical workrate. But I'd put my money more on Malacia to get there than I'd bet on Dalot. I just don't see it. He isn't a bad player. Just like Darmian wasn't a bad player.
I mean if this is how you felt about Shaw 2 seasons ago then I'm afraid you just don't really understand how to assess a full-back performance.

I have zero agenda in this discussion at all and even I would say Shaw at that point had an argument for being the best LB in the world not just the PL.

NZT-One

I mean if this is how you felt about Shaw 2 seasons ago then I'm afraid you just don't really understand how to assess a full-back performance.

I have zero agenda in this discussion at all and even I would say Shaw at that point had an argument for being the best LB in the world not just the PL.
Always a good start indicating that somebody else isn't able to understand something rather than, maybe, just coming to a different conclusion then yourself...

It isn't the Shaw thread after all, but I didn't see many international football fans celebrating Shaw or wanting him in their respective teams. I'd say not even many fans in England hyped him all too much, it was mostly United fans, so desperate, to have a player they'd be able to call worldclass at the time. And where is he now? Replaced by an 23y/o unknown Dutch guy from the Dutch leage. Seems like he was hyped up after all. A hyped up doesn't have to be bad, but he rarely is as good as people claim him to be. I'll happily give you that he might have been the best LB in the world back then. But I'd say that says more about the world at that point in time than it says something about Shaw.

Abraxas

It was a decent chance for Bruno. Not one you expect to go in every time but presentable considering the pace on the ball.

With whatever respect is due to Shaw, he's been here God knows how long and he's probably had a season and a half of good football in all that time. Dalot only got a run of games when Ralf Rangnick came in and prior to that wasn't a seasoned footballer. So I think it places their improvement in a very different context. Doesn't mean Dalot becomes a world beater but it means he is showing some promise that he is heading in the right direction whereas when Luke Shaw has a good run of games you can reasonably expect a period of ineptitude to follow based on history.

I just don't see how this was a game to complain about. You have to be in the box making a run to win a penalty for a start, it doesn't just happen by luck. If you do that and also do the functions expected of a fullback without fuss it is quite obviously a good game, even if the rest is 6/10. This just seems relatively clear. Darmian, meh, don't think he ever had the stature for PL football. Small, frail, and a crap athlete. Not that Dalot is monstrous but I'd put my money on him in an arm wrestle or a race.

Foxbatt

Good heavens. People having a go at Dalot today? He was very good. We should remember that he has not played top class football much before he came to United. Ole didn't value him and was shunted off to Milan. So he never got any decent coaching during his time at United before. He is going to make mistakes for sure but he is much better than AWB.
The fact it's our RB who won the penalty by running into box says a lot about him.

bosnian_red

But isn't 5/10 a par performance and not 6? I mean, that would indicate the math wouldn't it :D otherwise, you'd only have 4 grades to describe good performances but 5 for bad ones.

I agree with the bolded part. Seems like the only difference is that you call something good but give a grade that (to me) seems very good, while I'd consider him as decent to good and give him a 5.5-6/10.
What would a 4 goals Messi against Real Madrid mean in terms of grades? If Dalot is already receiving a 7, would Prime Messi then only receive 11/10s?
Well below 50% is fail and any grade below 60% is shit generally :smirk: I see what you're saying but generally the "accepted" rating method from pretty much every source has 6/10 as a standard performance where the player didn't stand out or do anything bad and the team won.

NZT-One

With whatever respect is due to Shaw, he's been here God knows how long and he's probably had a season and a half of good football in all that time. Dalot only got a run of games when Ralf Rangnick came in and prior to that wasn't a seasoned footballer. So I think it places their improvement in a very different context. Doesn't mean Dalot becomes a world beater but it means he is showing some promise that he is heading in the right direction whereas when Luke Shaw has a good run of games you can reasonably expect a period of ineptitude to follow based on history.
Wouldn't have reacted to this statement, seems fair to me.

I just don't see how this was a game to complain about. You have to be in the box making a run to win a penalty for a start, it doesn't just happen by luck. If you do that and also do the functions expected of a fullback without fuss it is quite obviously a good game, even if the rest is 6/10. This just seems relatively clear. Darmian, meh, don't think he ever had the stature for PL football. Small, frail, and a crap athlete. Not that Dalot is monstrous but I'd put my money on him in an arm wrestle or a race.
I didn't complain. I wasn't joining the praise some posters started and thought it wasn't justified. I thought he was perfectly fine today. But without the pen it would have been a performance, you would have forgotten an hour after the game. With the pen, you forget it tomorrow at least if people will not start to try to add the pen incident to his overall assists count.

NZT-One

Well below 50% is fail and any grade below 60% is shit generally :smirk: I see what you're saying but generally the "accepted" rating method from pretty much every source has 6/10 as a standard performance where the player didn't stand out or do anything bad and the team won.
Yeah I noticed that too, didn't understand it though on multiple occasions. I also think that a 5/10 performance isnt something to look down on. 5/10 is a baseline grade for me, call it a 0, playing better gives plus points, playing worse gives negative points. 0 would mean, somebody made no mistakes which is something to start with. And this is where Darmian lived 99% of his time at United. Dalot lives there as well for me, probably between 5 and 6 during the last weeks which is a significant improvement to last year where he was a definitive 5/10 overall. For more I expect him to either ramp up his offensive output by numbers or be much more influential in the build up plus stabilizing defensively even more. If he is as good as people suggest him being able to be I expect him to come up with the odd 8/10 performance here and there, with standing out among his team mates. But a really really good performance isn't something he has had at any point for us which is why I am questioning his potential. At some point it must have been visible by now. Physically and technically he might be able to get to a higher level, mentally and game intelligence wise my doubts remain.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

1-5 and 6-10 are both 5 numbers.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I'm glad he's been good enough to keep AWB out of the team. I'd like to see a top RB brought in, but if not he'll do for now.

gregor

Could he develop in same way Cancelo has? He was also a bit crap when younger wasn't he?

Olecurls99

Roy?

Olecurls99

I'll happily give you that he might have been the best LB in the world back then. But I'd say that says more about the world at that point in time than it says something about Shaw.
:lol: Stop it, you're killing me

"Congratulations Luke, you're the best LB in the world but that says more about the world than you I'm afraid."

Raven

I really like him as a player, highly aggressive but very good on the ball.

mu4c_20le

He gets a little overrated from time to time because of his attitude, same with Malacia. Seems like a natural bias from fans which is expected.

Remember the geese

Being at Brentford away recently, I remember the majority of players avoided coming over to us at the end of the game. The few who did, did so in an embarrassed, half-hearted fashion. As if they were fulfilling an obligation. Dalot, was the only one who stood there defiantly and for a prolonged period of time. He listened to what the fans were shouting/chanting. Good and bad. I had a new found respect for him that day.

NZT-One

1-5 and 6-10 are both 5 numbers.
but 6/10 seems to be baseline, so neither good or bad which would leave only for digits for measuring good performances. Thanks for making my point even more obvious.

:lol: Stop it, you're killing me

"Congratulations Luke, you're the best LB in the world but that says more about the world than you I'm afraid."
Mate, I wouldn't have said that he is the best LB in the world, not once that came into my mind. But it seems to have been on the minds of a few others and the only reason for it in my eyes would be that the rest of the LB of the world had a pretty bad year. Add that to the apparent desperation of parts of our fanbase back then to remain adamant, that there is still world class in our squad.

Being at Brentford away recently, I remember the majority of players avoided coming over to us at the end of the game. The few who did, did so in an embarrassed, half-hearted fashion. As if they were fulfilling an obligation. Dalot, was the only one who stood there defiantly and for a prolonged period of time. He listened to what the fans were shouting/chanting. Good and bad. I had a new found respect for him that day.
Hearing the story, that demands respect for the player. His demeanour on the pitch wouldn't indicate that though, I find him to be a bit too much in the Bruno mould, heads dropping if things go bad, moaning and so on. But sure, small sample size plus young player in a struggling team.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
but 6/10 seems to be baseline, so neither good or bad which would leave only for digits for measuring good performances. Thanks for making my point even more obvious.
You said "But isn't 5/10 a par performance and not 6? I mean, that would indicate the math wouldn't it :D otherwise, you'd only have 4 grades to describe good performances but 5 for bad ones."

If 5 was the baseline then the reverse would be true as you'd have 4 grades for bad performances and 5 for good ones. The math is just as bad either way.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

All in all, I think he's shown good improvement this season, especially defensively. Enough to merit suspending thinking of him as obviously not good enough to be the main starter on RB, on a probationary basis. :)

RopersReturn

Evidently one of the most improved players who’s looking a lot more involved in the team. The penny seems to have dropped, he’s obviously focused and working harder in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.