Diogo Dalot Loan watch - Milan 2020-21

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Thank god. Pereira and Dalot out, VDB and Cavani in. Hasn’t been the worst window in the world.

Hopefully Dalot performs well and comes back a better player that we can either sell for more money or he is better prepared for the first team.

Bwuk

Interesting to see how he gets on. I think Dalot could be a good player if he got regular game time.

Who’s his competition at RB?

kundalini

Played for Milan in europa this week.
Does anyone know how he did?
Didn't watch but here are his stats:

attempted 5 dribbles but only 1 successful
no shots, no key passes
81% pass completion (joint 2nd in terms of number of accurate passes for Milan)
4 successful tackles (most for Milan) out of 6 attempts
5 interceptions (most for Milan)
dispossessed once
overall rating 7.3 (which was 4th best for Milan)

Those look more like the type of stats you'd expect from Wan-Bissaka than Dalot. From the report I read, it sounds as though Milan scored early, then controlled the game, rather than trying to create a lot of chances. Ended up scoring 3 times from just 6 attempts.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Played for Milan in europa this week.
Does anyone know how he did?
I thought he was pretty poor, his passing was okay but everything else about his performance was forgettable.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Didn't watch but here are his stats:

attempted 5 dribbles but only 1 successful
no shots, no key passes
81% pass completion (joint 2nd in terms of number of accurate passes for Milan)
4 successful tackles (most for Milan) out of 6 attempts
5 interceptions (most for Milan)
dispossessed once
overall rating 7.3 (which was 4th best for Milan)

Those look more like the type of stats you'd expect from Wan-Bissaka than Dalot. From the report I read, it sounds as though Milan scored early, then controlled the game, rather than trying to create a lot of chances. Ended up scoring 3 times from just 6 attempts.
That's more defensive work he's done in 1 game for them than he has throughout his time with us.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
That's more defensive work he's done in 1 game for them than he has throughout his time with us.
Good. He need tonnes of exposure in defensive positioning. Hope he comes back with better positional sense. Or decides to do a smalling. Whatever.

kundalini

I couldn't find it on a quick search but is there an option or obligation to buy?
No. There is a surprisingly high option fee on Andreas Pereira's loan deal to Lazio but nothing on Dalot's Milan loan. I believe United were open to a straight sale; indeed some suggestions that was their preference but the market was so cash poor that we had to accept a loan.

jackal&hyde

No. There is a surprisingly high option fee on Andreas Pereira's loan but nothing on Dalot's.

Thanks!

I actually like Dalot and if he can improve his defensive game who knows, might come back and be a valuable player for us.

NoPace

21 is still so young and he was highly rated and I dunno feel likes a tall, skinny fullback might need some more time to develop than a typical one. We still need an attacking right back/wingback to challenge AWB or start over him if we go 5 at the back.

I have no idea why we loaned him to Milan and not some team without any decent options at RB (would Villa have happily not spent 15M or whatever on Matty Cash considering their needs elsewhere? Seamus Coleman looked Everton's worst player against Liverpool and he's 32. Gotta be some Europa or CL sides without a ton of of fullbacks who will be in a crunch this year in Germany, Spain or Italy) but maybe nobody was that interested? Burnley would have been interesting as I think he could easily have won the right wing job since he'd fit well as a 2nd fullback who can cross a ball and Gudmondsson seems like he gets hurt a lot, though.

Anyways, here's his performance.

Not sure he'll ever be quick enough to stay with small quick wingers which is a huge problem, but I do think there is offensive potential. Might be a 3-5-2 wingback, teams like Atalanta used bigger attacking fullbacks out wide.

21 is still so young and he was highly rated and I dunno feel likes a tall, skinny fullback might need some more time to develop than a typical one. We still need an attacking right back/wingback to challenge AWB or start over him if we go 5 at the back.

I have no idea why we loaned him to Milan and not some team without any decent options at RB (would Villa have happily not spent 15M or whatever on Matty Cash considering their needs elsewhere? Seamus Coleman looked Everton's worst player against Liverpool and he's 32. Gotta be some Europa or CL sides without a ton of of fullbacks who will be in a crunch this year in Germany, Spain or Italy) but maybe nobody was that interested? Burnley would have been interesting as I think he could easily have won the right wing job since he'd fit well as a 2nd fullback who can cross a ball and Gudmondsson seems like he gets hurt a lot, though.

Not sure he'll ever be quick enough to stay with small quick wingers which is a huge problem, but I do think there is offensive potential. Might be a 3-5-2 wingback, teams like Atalanta used bigger attacking fullbacks out wide.
we probably loaned him to Milan as no one else was interested. No one in the PL is spending £15m on him. In 3 years he never once put in a decent performance for us.

even on a loan, I don’t see why a PL team would have taken him to be a bench player.

Mainoldo

Doesn’t look match fit at all. Hopefully he’ll get enough games to kick on.

Decent game for him. Overall played well but he kept getting too close to their winger and dropped on the turn.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Thanks!

I actually like Dalot and if he can improve his defensive game who knows, might come back and be a valuable player for us.
Only valuable if we can get a decent fee for him, otherwise no thanks. Rather see Laird or Williams supporting AWB

dogwithabone

A generally poor signing, hasn't done anything of note except perhaps the shot that resulted in the last minute penalty v PSG. Even that looked to be sailing miles over the bar.

Dve

I see he´s getting some praise for his performance against Celtic, but his weakness as a defender was as evident in this game as in any game for United, as he 3 times was easily beaten by his opponent one on one. Added to that, he contributed with nothing offensively, so in conclusion, I thought he was pretty poor, even if he saw the ball a lot and was able to pass it sidewards. Nothing would be better though, if they are happy with him at Milan.

Last edited:

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905

It is clear to me why he was loaned out
  • he's not good enough and needed time, unless he gets the time, he will never develop
  • especially his defending and positioning can really be shocking
  • He seems great with the ball at his feet, looking classy with a dribbling technique like Perisic or a bit of Ronaldo but it shouldn't cloud the view of his other input which is very inconsistent. His crossing can be like Bebe's, he can play a great deep cross and next 5 attempts he's looking for his friend in the stand
  • That along with overall pretty bad concentration, he seems like a player who stil haven't made a step up to senior football despite his physical appearance, after all we bought him and he was just breaking through to Porto's first team
  • The worst thing he's injury prone, think he could have feature much more but a player who can get to full fitness can't play a fullback in senior/top flight football, he will either overcome that elsewhere or is useless here
  • Lastly Brandon Williams does it strikes you as something. Very underrated player already way more established, if he comes from the right and get run of games I think he can easily be as good as Rafael, he's a more talented version of McTominay at fullback

Plus we got Ethan Laird who if he gets over his injuries is due his debut season and is a massive talent, better than Dalot,

Plus2. TFM is also way more established as a FB as a first team palyer who can cover. In some games last season, I really didnt see a big difference between him and Bissaka but he shoul dbe the 5th option at fullback.

Plus3 Teden Mengi and Axel can cover there too and get some valuable experience which will be great for us longterm. It's not like Dalot ever showed anything to be given more time here over the afformentioned players.

NoPace

A bunch of reasons why we loaned out Dalot because I didn't read the post I'm replying to
None of these reasons explain why he was loaned to Milan, who have Calabria (played every minute in the league so far) and Conti. He should probably have been loaned to some other team in the Europa League where they only have one right back and it's someone more likely to be beaten out, or a team not in Europe but bereft at RB. If I'm reading PSV's squad right, for instance, they have 2 senior fullbacks (Max and Dumfries who is coming off an injury plagued year) and then a youth team player and CBs backing them up. Feels like he'd get more games there, and while the Eredivisie is weak, he'd get to attack and maybe get a couple games in Europe.

I don't think we do a very good job of loaning players into situations where they're going to be first choice.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
None of these reasons explain why he was loaned to Milan, who have Calabria (played every minute in the league so far) and Conti. He should probably have been loaned to some other team in the Europa League where they only have one right back and it's someone more likely to be beaten out, or a team not in Europe but bereft at RB. If I'm reading PSV's squad right, for instance, they have 2 senior fullbacks (Max and Dumfries who is coming off an injury plagued year) and then a youth team player and CBs backing them up. Feels like he'd get more games there, and while the Eredivisie is weak, he'd get to attack and maybe get a couple games in Europe.

I don't think we do a very good job of loaning players into situations where they're going to be first choice.
I am sorry if I misread your posts being directly about Milan. Was talking about the general situation... I have no idea about how things are in Milan now, maybe we have another Januzaj situation? All in all he should have gone on loan because simply there is no space in the squad for him. The higher/more difficult target for him the steeper learning curve. If he doesn´t kick on big time his United career might be over before he it started. The lad i sonly lucky Laird is injury prone and that his pricetag was high, meaning there could be still some time left for him if he has a good season with Milan..

Haddock

I don't remember Bebe producing any great cross, or even any crosses at all.
There used to be a brilliant video on Youtube (now taken down) called "Bebe crossing show" with highlights of Bebe trying desperately to find his man on the pitch rather than the stretford end. It was set to "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" by U2 and managed to elevate the whole spectacle to something between high camp and tragic drama.

Doubt anyone else wanted him - and was probably the only option. Looks like Milan are using him as cheap cover then.

if that’s the case, then it’s a bit of a pointless loan, but perhaps he will get some more game time there. as he would not play here.

Mozox

Outstanding Querasma-esque assist, nice goal. Well done young Diogo!
I am sure that he is not finished in United shirt, we have to learn how to use his strenghts.

saivet

He's playing left back? Is that where he will be played most of the time or is he filling in?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's playing left back? Is that where he will be played most of the time or is he filling in?
Played on the right last week so he'll be filling both roles I'm guessing.