Diogo Dalot - next move?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
“I say that I had a fantastic year and met beautiful people. It was a real pleasure to play for Milan but now I think about the Euros and I really don’t know [on his future] what will happen.”

Had a decent loan at AC Milan and has a contract with United until '23. There was some talk of another loan with an option to buy, but surely we can do one better than that, and just sell him this summer? He's just finished the u21 tournament where he was Portugal's first choice right back, where they finished runners up. Surely shop window is open, and there's all this talk of Trippier...

kthanksbye

Still 22, but I feel we're going to keep Brandon Williams around for depth.

We can send Williams on loan and have Dalot play for us the next season and see how he does, he's gained some good experience at Milan, after next season we can evaluate which one of Williams or Dalot to keep long term.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Still 22, but I feel we're going to keep Brandon Williams around for depth.

We can send Williams on loan and have Dalot play for us the next season and see how he does, he's gained some good experience at Milan, after next season we can evaluate which one of Williams or Dalot to keep long term.
Not if we're buying Trippier. Surely Williams is going out on loan. His decline coincided with them rushing to give him a 50K contract (if I recall).

jesperjaap

Swap for Romagnoli. Get deadwood off our books and a quality centre back for £10m net probably. If we were able to sell JOnes for £5m for example we have cleared our unwanted defenders and got a good centre back for pretty much nothing.

jesperjaap

If we are not buying Trippier he should be kept as competion for AWB. Williams needs game time bad. He needs a loan.

Williams has been poor of course, but also not gettign game time as Bissaka has remained fit throughout the season and for me been very good too bar the defending of crosses positionally. What is to say Trippier gets game time either? We can say its a squad game, but VDB has barely played for us. Personally dont want either DAlot of Trippier. Happy for WIlliams and Laird to fight it out, of course one is unproven and maybe not ready, the other has had a poor season...but we are talking about back up after all

RUCK4444

The fact he doesn’t know where he’s heading next tells the story really.

I’ve never, not for a moment, witnessed anything from him that helped explain the hype around him when we signed him.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Williams has been poor of course, but also not gettign game time as Bissaka has remained fit throughout the season and for me been very good too bar the defending of crosses positionally. What is to say Trippier gets game time either? We can say its a squad game, but VDB has barely played for us. Personally dont want either DAlot of Trippier. Happy for WIlliams and Laird to fight it out, of course one is unproven and maybe not ready, the other has had a poor season...but we are talking about back up after all
You are assuming Wan Bissaka will never ever need rest or eve get injured from over play. That is a risk we shouldn't take. I also don't think being a 5 game back up to a Wan Bissaka is good for either Laird nor Williams development. I have no doubt that is what set Williams back.

jesperjaap

You are assuming Wan Bissaka will never eve need rest or eve get injured from over play. That is a risk we shouldn't take. I also don't think being a 5 game back up to a Wan Bissaka is good for either Laird nor Williams development. I have no doubt that is what set Williams back.
In an ideal world, I agree with you. But despite our fantastic away record, 2nd place and a European final.....we still have several gaps in our first elven that need plugging and upgrading for me. With a budget of £150m being mentioned and a possiblr marquee signing blowing half of that....personalyl I would rather 5-10 games from either of those two than spendign £20m of our budget on Trippier to play a similar amount of games.

Of coruse, as you mention, the other option is to keep Dalot. Some of his comments hardly allude to wanting to stay to me, probably rightly as he dosnt have a long term future here anyway, he knows it, we know it, should be sold, its of benefit to all parties I feel

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
In an ideal world, I agree with you. But despite our fantastic away record, 2nd place and a European final.....we still have several gaps in our first elven that need plugging and upgrading for me. With a budget of £150m being mentioned and a possiblr marquee signing blowing half of that....personalyl I would rather 5-10 games from either of those two than spendign £20m of our budget on Trippier to play a similar amount of games.

Of coruse, as you mention, the other option is to keep Dalot. Some of his comments hardly allude to wanting to stay to me, probably rightly as he dosnt have a long term future here anyway, he knows it, we know it, should be sold, its of benefit to all parties I feel
Dalot can fund a purchase of a Trippier in my book

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Back to Portugal, in his home environment to learn the RB trade properly and not chase the money so young. Settle down with a club who will give him as many minutes as possible and he will improve.

He couldn't make it in Italy and learned alot, can't make it in England and he's not even 22 yet?. I'd like to see him go back to Portugal for his next stage development.

bosskeano

bloody Milan trying to take him on loan as they are spending their money on other players so trying to get him on the cheap

Lemon Moon

He's still not been given a proper run of games at RB for us, only really been used in dribbs & drabbs, if I was him I'd let Ole know I want to fight for a place I the team. If ole is happy with that great, if not put me up for sale.

He's had a good loan spell and done well with his national team, still got plenty of potential.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's still not been given a proper run of games at RB for us, only really been used in dribbs & drabbs, if I was him I'd let Ole know I want to fight for a place I the team. If ole is happy with that great, if not put me up for sale.

He's had a good loan spell and done well with his national team, still got plenty of potential.
If we're buying Trippier, it's all a bit pointless. And we do need to rake in some money given the task at hand. For the sake of his career he should be looking to move, and for the sake of our operations in the market, we should not let him out on loan again unless there's an obligation to buy.

tomaldinho1

Why not just keep him and try to develop him a bit? He's 22.... I feel we buy these players and if they don't blow us away we just lose interest in them - need to start taking the Chelsea loan army approach and trying to make money from these signings.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Whenever he played he was wank defensively

Lemon Moon

If we're buying Trippier, it's all a bit pointless. And we do need to rake in some money given the task at hand. For the sake of his career he should be looking to move, and for the sake of our operations in the market, we should not let him out on loan again unless there's an obligation to buy.
I agree with you to be fair, just seems a shame because there is a good footballer there, somewhere haha

peridigm

this 100%. There’s money to be made if we wise up.
In hindsight he would have been a better option as backup to AWB than Williams last season. As often Williams played, bring back Dalot and we don't need Trippier.

Bwuk

In hindsight he would have been a better option as backup to AWB than Williams last season. As often Williams played, bring back Dalot and we don't need Trippier.
Your missing the point.

Trippier is being bought as competition for AWB. Not back up. He’s kept him out the England side, it’s not inconceivable he does that here.

Dalot would never play. We’d have AWB making 50+ starts again.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Dalot at this stage must at least be a better attacker than Williams. I’m not sure if Dalot is the answer but backup RB would be pretty close to the bottom of the list for this summer as far as I’m concerned. Get Sancho done and look at CB and CM playmaker first at least

RUCK4444

Depends what sort of money we are offered this summer but I see your point.

However at the end of the day how much game time is he going to get for us in what would be his ‘shop window’ ?

He’s ridiculously average.

Also there’s a flip side to the coin and if we don’t offload him he could become nothing but another name on our wage bill who never sees game time and therefore never gets a move.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Why not just keep him and try to develop him a bit? He's 22.... I feel we buy these players and if they don't blow us away we just lose interest in them - need to start taking the Chelsea loan army approach and trying to make money from these signings.
We managed to loose around £22.5m on Zaha and Depay... which seems crazy when you think about it as both have goe on to prove they are big talents.

Given how many good talented youngsters we have coming through (greenwood, Elange, diallo, shoretire, Mcneil, Hughil, Forson, Mejrib etc) I do wonder how badly we are going to handle their loand / development and how little money we might actually generate form any sales (i.e I bet half of them walk away for nothing or virtually nothing)

bosskeano

We should be asking AM if they would be interested in including him in a deal for Trippier

If Milan are going to back off their purchasing of Dalot due to buying Tomori from Chelsea along with a few other players because you know they are skint for money, Dalot and Trippier swapping clubs on loan would be a win/win for both sides.

tomaldinho1

We managed to loose around £22.5m on Zaha and Depay... which seems crazy when you think about it as both have goe on to prove they are big talents.

Given how many good talented youngsters we have coming through (greenwood, Elange, diallo, shoretire, Mcneil, Hughil, Forson, Mejrib etc) I do wonder how badly we are going to handle their loand / development and how little money we might actually generate form any sales (i.e I bet half of them walk away for nothing or virtually nothing)
Yep - the truth is very few/none of those youngsters will probably make it but you have to at least develop them and give them a chance. That was the shame with guys like Gomes (seems to have done pretty well in Portugal on loan) and Puigmal. It' not that they left, it's that they left on a free.

peridigm

Your missing the point.

Trippier is being bought as competition for AWB. Not back up. He’s kept him out the England side, it’s not inconceivable he does that here.

Dalot would never play. We’d have AWB making 50+ starts again.
Point taken.