Television Disney Plus - 24 is still garbage

Bojan11

Launching today in America. Over here it will be out on the 31st March.

Anyone subscribing? I might use a VPN, so I can watch the older simpson episodes as Sky and channel 4 seem to show most of the new ones which I have no interest in.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
More than likely when it comes to the UK. Kids are crazy for Disney.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I’ll be subscribing when it’s out in the UK, mainly for the Marvel TV shows they’ve got planned.

I wonder if Sky will still show some of the Disney/Fox stuff or if they lose everything?! Surely would be a big blow if they lose it all, especially the movies.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Not sure to be honest, apart from The Mandalorian there isn't much original content for a long while so you will have to be someone who is keen on rewatching a bunch of Disney IP to sign up straight off the bat.

Bojan11

I’ll be subscribing when it’s out in the UK, mainly for the Marvel TV shows they’ve got planned.

I wonder if Sky will still show some of the Disney/Fox stuff or if they lose everything?! Surely would be a big blow if they lose it all, especially the movies.
Think Sky and Disney will strike up some sort of deal similar to the Netflix deal that Sky have.

Would have just been easier if Disney rather than Comcast had bought Sky.

Sanche7

They have a truck load of new content from what I saw on IGN (encore, Noelle, the imageneering story, Jeff Goldblum something, Forky asks a question, High school musical etc) but most of them were rated pretty poorly except the Mandalorian. They don't really need new content to sell subscriptions, they already have so many movies and shows

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
When NBC launches their own streaming service, and remove their shows from Netflix (including the most watched show in Netflix, The Office), Netflix will be fecked.

Bojan11

When NBC launches their own streaming service, and remove their shows from Netflix (including the most watched show in Netflix, The Office), Netflix will be fecked.
To be fair Netflix got something better than the office. They have the global rights to Seinfeld.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think streaming services will end up being spread quite thin and we'll see a few mergers and everyone will act like it's amazing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think streaming services will end up being spread quite thin and we'll see a few mergers and everyone will act like it's amazing.
Said it before and I'll say it again. In five years there will be two competing companies that buys the rights to these streaming services from the individual suppliers and we'll be back to Netflix vs Amazon.

decorativeed

Depends where you are in the world. Netflix doesn't have The Office in the UK.

b82REZ

I highly doubt the Netflix monopoly will be broken that easily. I'd say losing the Marvel stuff will hurt much more than losing the Office.

SirAF

Ageist
I’ll probably subscribe for a month once or twice a year to have a Simpsons binge.

Suedesi

Yeah, I signed up. The content is essentially Disney Classics, Pixar, Star Wars and Discovery. It will be a hit with households with kids.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Yeah, I signed up. The content is essentially Disney Classics, Pixar, Star Wars and Discovery. It will be a hit with households with kids.
I got it for The Mandalorian. But there’s a lot of shit on there for my daughter. Not bad for $7 a month.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
But they are mostly cheap shit, and hardly anyone watches them.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/the-office-netflix-most-streamed-series-friends-1202127682/

"According to the report, Top 10 programs on Netflix based on minutes watched in 2018 are as follows: “The Office,” “Friends,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “NCIS,” “Criminal Minds,” “Orange is the New Black” and “Shameless” (tied), “Supernatural,” “Parks and Recreation,” and “Ozark.” What is potentially problematic for Netflix is that only two of these 10 shows are original productions: “Orange” and “Ozark.” Non-originals made up 72% of the total number of minutes people spent watching Netflix as of October 2018, Nielsen reveals."

"But for now, “The Office” is on Netflix. Nielsen looked at the numbers over a 12-month period and found that the show accounted for 45.8 billion minutes watched compared to the buzzy Netflix original “Stranger Things,” which clocked in at 27.6 billion minutes."

I'm not saying Netflix gonna die, but I can see them being bought by a bigger fish or settle as a mainly "indie" tv show network, streaming shows from different countries like "casa de papel" (moneyheist) and shits like that. As of now, their success relies heavily on keeping a hold of non originals shows.

Suedesi

But they are mostly cheap shit, and hardly anyone watches them.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/the-office-netflix-most-streamed-series-friends-1202127682/

"According to the report, Top 10 programs on Netflix based on minutes watched in 2018 are as follows: “The Office,” “Friends,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “NCIS,” “Criminal Minds,” “Orange is the New Black” and “Shameless” (tied), “Supernatural,” “Parks and Recreation,” and “Ozark.” What is potentially problematic for Netflix is that only two of these 10 shows are original productions: “Orange” and “Ozark.” Non-originals made up 72% of the total number of minutes people spent watching Netflix as of October 2018, Nielsen reveals."

"But for now, “The Office” is on Netflix. Nielsen looked at the numbers over a 12-month period and found that the show accounted for 45.8 billion minutes watched compared to the buzzy Netflix original “Stranger Things,” which clocked in at 27.6 billion minutes."

I'm not saying Netflix gonna die, but I can see them being bought by a bigger fish or settle as a mainly "indie" tv show network, streaming shows from different countries like "casa de papel" (moneyheist) and shits like that. As of now, their success relies heavily on keeping a hold of non originals shows.
Netflix has a 160 million subscribers in 190 countries. They've got a massive lead on tech and content volume. Disney clearly have extremely valuable content (especially for kids as highlighted above) and ancillary business (amusement parks, merch etc). So I can see both NFLX and D+ emerging as clear winners. Others have some catching up to do.

Last edited:

Rudie

Mentary
DisneyLife has already been providing streaming services now for over a year, it's the precursor to plus which Disney launched in select countries to test streaming and iron out issues so it won't really be new in the UK, it was plagued with technical issues but is a lot more stable these days.

I subscribe but rarely watch anything on there, loads of classics like Darkwing Duck etc are great viewing on those hungover weekends.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I got it for The Mandalorian. But there’s a lot of shit on there for my daughter. Not bad for $7 a month.
Yeah I would personally get it for the Mandalorian alone for a month. But I don't have any kids and I'm not really interested in getting a service which is really orientated towards nostalgia or a Simpsons binge. Still may swap Netflix for this for a month.

Also not happy that they decided to remove the Michael Jackson episode. It's a pointless exercise as I am sure there are a fair few cnuts who have been on the Simpsons as well over the past 30 years.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Same, especially as Sky will presumably be losing all the Disney movies they currently have.
Yeah I work for Sky and the Sky Cinema department will suffer. Most of their biggest content is Marvel and Pixar.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Netflix has a 160 million subscribers in 190 countries. They've got a massive lead on tech and content volume. Disney clearly have extremely valuable content (especially for kids as highlighted above) and ancillary business (amusement parks, merch etc). So I can see both NFLX and D+ emerging as clear winners. Others have some catching up to do.
Netflix know what they're doing and they'll be fine. They have enough original content to make the subscription worth it.

Stranger Things
13 Reasons
The Irishman
Mindhunter

Things like the above make the monthly cost worth it.

marktan

They actually lost subscribers in the USA in their last quarterly earnings in oct and I can see that continuing. I haven't watched Netflix regularly for months now because all the good stuff has been watched and its just teeny rubbish now. They need consistent releases of things like Ozark every month. When they lose Friends and the Office next year they'll see a lot of cancellations imo. I think they're in for a tougher time than they expect, they gained subs on the back off of having a streaming monopoly, but fragmentation and a lack of contract lock ins will see them bleed subscribers.

Disney plus is interesting, the sheer depth of the content will see a lot of subscribers. But it's downside is Netflixs biggest strength - lack of 'life' type shows like Friends, Orange is the new black, Ozark etc. I'm not sure how many childless adults will really be into watching PG stuff - right now they're really banking on the Mandalorian getting a GoT type hype to get subs. Will be interesting to see how successful it is - they need 60m subs to break even on disney+.

SirAF

Ageist
They actually lost subscribers in the USA in their last quarterly earnings in oct and I can see that continuing. I haven't watched Netflix regularly for months now because all the good stuff has been watched and its just teeny rubbish now. They need consistent releases of things like Ozark every month. When they lose Friends and the Office next year they'll see a lot of cancellations imo. I think they're in for a tougher time than they expect, they gained subs on the back off of having a streaming monopoly, but fragmentation and a lack of contract lock ins will see them bleed subscribers.

Disney plus is interesting, the sheer depth of the content will see a lot of subscribers. But it's downside is Netflixs biggest strength - lack of 'life' type shows like Friends, Orange is the new black, Ozark etc. I'm not sure how many childless adults will really be into watching PG stuff - right now they're really banking on the Mandalorian getting a GoT type hype to get subs. Will be interesting to see how successful it is - they need 60m subs to break even on disney+.
They are getting Seinfeld in 4K though. I’m sure there are a lot of die hard fans that will subscribe just to watch that.

Traub

I also haven’t watched Netflix for months. I pay for the subscription and quite a few family members use it, if they crack down on that I’m cancelling.

I feel like Disney plus would be great for about two weeks, after which the nostalgia would wear thin. I can see people starting to stream a specific provider for a month or two, cancel and then move onto the next one for a couple of months.

I wonder if they’ll get to the point where they have freemium versions?

Coxy

I’m not cancelling Netflix just for Disney and pixar films... Star Wars and marvel films etc

personally love lots of Netflix content:

Stranger Things
Mindhunter
Glow
Ozark
Godless
13 Reasons Why
The Crown
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Altered Carbon
Star Trek Discovery
The Haunting of Hill House
The Umbrella Academy
Titans

might get Disney for a month to catch up on stuff but that’s it. The library on Netflix is far superior for me

arthurka

I’m not cancelling Netflix just for Disney and pixar films... Star Wars and marvel films etc

personally love lots of Netflix content:

Stranger Things
Mindhunter
Glow
Ozark
Godless
13 Reasons Why
The Crown
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Altered Carbon
Star Trek Discovery
The Haunting of Hill House
The Umbrella Academy
Titans

might get Disney for a month to catch up on stuff but that’s it. The library on Netflix is far superior for me
Agree.. Disney is great for kids though.

GBBQ

I can see people starting to stream a specific provider for a month or two, cancel and then move onto the next one for a couple of months.
Absolutely this. I got Amazon Prime for €2.99 for 6 months and initially it looked great. But after I watched The Boys, Undone and re-watched a few episodes of The Office I found myself in that same loop I get in Netflix where nothing piques my interest enough to actually watch it.

Netflix seem to have it sussed though, something always on the horizon to make it worth hanging around for one more month. The promise of El Camino and The Irishman stopped me from cancelling a couple of months ago. Ozark and Better Call Saul mixed with some half decent original content will probably keep me subscribing throughout next year.

Its crazy to think you wouldn't think twice about spending 100 quid on a night out but balk at spending half that a month to have a few streaming services.

Sanche7

Agree with the general opinion that Disney will have to pump out some good original content. They have loads of stuff but I don't think it will be enough to keep people subscribed for a long time. Even in case of Netflix, the real reason to subscribe are the original shows like stranger things, Ozark etc. Even Amazon prime started gaining popularity when shows like Transparent and The Marvelous Mrs Maisel started winning emmys. Also instead of just building on the IP they already own, they should try to bring in something new. The Mandalorian, High School Musical the series, Forky asks a question are all just extensions of stuff we have already seen a million times. Also I doubt there will be anything dark on Disney plus