Television Disney Plus - 24 is still garbage

Sanche7

Once all these competing services remove their content from each other and there are 5 monthly subs to pay or choose between won't there will be an upsurge in watching illegal streams?
I'm guessing a few of them will crash and burn in a few years. Netflix, Disney, HBO Max, Apple TV, NBC Peacock, Hulu, Amazon Prime plus other smaller ones like DC steaming service - that's too many subscriptions and I don't think all of them will survive. It's either subscribe - watch - unsubscribe - subscribe to another service or piracy, that's the only way the average customer will be able to watch all the content

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Once all these competing services remove their content from each other and there are 5 monthly subs to pay or choose between won't there will be an upsurge in watching illegal streams?
One could argue that for everything all those 5 has to offer can be found illegally over the internet. I dont mind paying 2 at the most if they offer variety. I'd pirated the 3rd one if there's something i Like.

Just realised recently that there's heaps and heaps of online streaming services popping up all the time. Asking for 10 dollars for a pitiful collection.

If i have to guess it'll convert to a few strong networks with lots of up and down startups that cant compete. You really cant price out convenience of netflix at 10 dollars per month.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
But they are mostly cheap shit, and hardly anyone watches them.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/the-office-netflix-most-streamed-series-friends-1202127682/

"According to the report, Top 10 programs on Netflix based on minutes watched in 2018 are as follows: “The Office,” “Friends,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “NCIS,” “Criminal Minds,” “Orange is the New Black” and “Shameless” (tied), “Supernatural,” “Parks and Recreation,” and “Ozark.” What is potentially problematic for Netflix is that only two of these 10 shows are original productions: “Orange” and “Ozark.” Non-originals made up 72% of the total number of minutes people spent watching Netflix as of October 2018, Nielsen reveals."

"But for now, “The Office” is on Netflix. Nielsen looked at the numbers over a 12-month period and found that the show accounted for 45.8 billion minutes watched compared to the buzzy Netflix original “Stranger Things,” which clocked in at 27.6 billion minutes."

I'm not saying Netflix gonna die, but I can see them being bought by a bigger fish or settle as a mainly "indie" tv show network, streaming shows from different countries like "casa de papel" (moneyheist) and shits like that. As of now, their success relies heavily on keeping a hold of non originals shows.
I'm probably speaking for myself. But i subbed netflix for the whole variety. Not because i want to watch their originals. If their originals is what i aim for its easilly and almost always ready illegally to stream or download.

What the illegals doesnt offer me is the ability to browse and flick for something (which i must admit is the fun in netflix). Most of the time i spend browsing instead of actually watching something

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Using VPN and it's really hit and miss
VPNs can cause issues with streaming services because occasionally it makes you appear to be in another jurisdiction where the service isn't available.

Additionally, some anti-virus services cause problems, too. I was using a feature of Avast called SafeSite and it was fecking up my access to a sports streaming service I subscribe to in Canada.

Turns out, Avast was routing me through a US based server to provide the additional protection, only the streaming service wasn't available in the US so they kept blocking my access. It was a serious headache because the service worked fine on my devices but not on my laptop.

arthurka

VPNs can cause issues with streaming services because occasionally it makes you appear to be in another jurisdiction where the service isn't available.

Additionally, some anti-virus services cause problems, too. I was using a feature of Avast called SafeSite and it was fecking up my access to a sports streaming service I subscribe to in Canada.

Turns out, Avast was routing me through a US based server to provide the additional protection, only the streaming service wasn't available in the US so they kept blocking my access. It was a serious headache because the service worked fine on my devices but not on my laptop.
It's on Disney's end.. They have problems with code 83 so what worked well suddenly stopped working due to Disney server problems. But little fiddling got me back on track.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I can see people using certain websites and just download all that shit to a USB stick and watch it all for free. Terrible, morally bankrupt people.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Price is very competitive compared to Netflix.

They’ve not detailed what will be available at launch yet so will be interesting if Sky keeps some of the movies/shows for a bit more time.

Bojan11

Decent price.

Hoping they fix the simpsons by then as I want to watch the older episodes. That’s if they even show up in the UK. Apparently sky has lifetime rights to Simpson in the UK, but I presume that doesn’t include streaming rights as they never on demand and only shown live.

GBBQ

I like how Netflix is available through the sky box because it means I can watch i on my crappy tv in my bedroom (as opposed to Prime which is only available through my smart TV). Hope they do something similar with Disney+ given their existing partnership (although maybe Netflix want to be the exclusive streaming partner)

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
What did I miss? Isnt Disney+ already available?
It's available in the Netherlands but not elsewhere in Europe. Least not until March 24th.

I'm still not sure about getting this beyond watching Simpsons whenever I want. Lack of Original Content long term is an issue.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
Good news! I’m looking forward to a proper source for watching Simpsons on demand.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
They removed Mickey from Netflix before making Disney Plus available in Norway. :(

arthurka

If you don't have kids there is little of interest there. It's a service where you can binge for a month then cancel it.

AaronRedDevil

Gotta wait for March to watch D+ in Ireland. Marvel shows, Clone Wars. Looking forward to it. Already saw the Mandalorian, loved it.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Gotta wait for March to watch D+ in Ireland. Marvel shows, Clone Wars. Looking forward to it. Already saw the Mandalorian, loved it.
I have managed to hold off and avoid the Mandalorian. So really am looking for ward to getting Disney +

It is actually pretty cheap. Also I recall they offered incentives to the USA customers for signing up for 2-3 years. I wonder will they do the same for us

AaronRedDevil

I have managed to hold off and avoid the Mandalorian. So really am looking for ward to getting Disney +

It is actually pretty cheap. Also I recall they offered incentives to the USA customers for signing up for 2-3 years. I wonder will they do the same for us
Hopefully. If you like star wars you'll love this. Pretty brilliant show.

ha_rooney

I'm very much looking forward to WandaVision. It looks like it's not going to be your typical by the numbers Marvel production.

Also you can't really go wrong with Elizabeth Olsen.
I think that’s the show that will have the biggest impact on the movies/MCU.

Loki should be a lot of fun to watch.

Bojan11

They promoting the UK release on twitter.

But they not really being transparent if the Simpsons will be on it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really is an absolute bargain at a fiver a month. I've got a 4 and 2 year old as well, who absolutely adore Disney, so this is eagerly anticipated in our household.

Rooney1987

Really is an absolute bargain at a fiver a month. I've got a 4 and 2 year old as well, who absolutely adore Disney, so this is eagerly anticipated in our household.
The promotion today they’re offering instead of 5.99 a month when it launches between now and 23rd March as a pre order you can get it for 49.99 for the year instead of 59.99. Not bad. As much as I want to say I want to it’s for my 6 year old, I want to for Mandalorian.

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

The promotion today they’re offering instead of 5.99 a month when it launches between now and 23rd March as a ore order you can get it for 49.99 for the year instead of 59.99. Not bad. As much as I want to say I want to it’s for my 6 year old, I want to for Mandalorian.
I watch the mandalorian. Its brilliant. I’m just getting it for myself. Want to watch Rebels and Clone wars.

ha_rooney

I’m fairly certain I’m going to take up the £49.99 offer before it expires, but I’d wish they’d tell us what content will be available on day 1. From their silence, it looks like the U.K. will not get The Simpsons & The Mandalorian will be weekly episodes (which will be stupid).

USREDEVIL

They have a free 2-week promotion if you buy certain cereals over here in the U.S. I reckon i'll get a box of Fruitloops and binge watch the Mandalorian then cancel. I'm cheap.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Out now in the UK! Pretty cool to have The Simpsons on demand like this, which has always been kind of unimaginable given how their DVD box sets were always such a money grab in the past.

Seen a few friends on Facebook complaining there's not really much on there once you get past the obvious. All streaming services will get an uptick in subscribers this quarter but they will need variety to keep them long term.

AaronRedDevil

Just joined now. Can’t wait to watch The Mandalorian again and get to SW Rebels. But I’m wondering why isn’t all the Madalorian episodes out right now?