Disrespecting the class of 92

littleman

They are people, not gods.

They did great as a batch of players but they're no longer playing. It's a free world and they can say whatever they want, and so can we.

Don't get all of this respect shite you guys want to serve up.. it's like a form of worship, a mindless deference

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He gets that pundits should only compliment their club?
That you should not act all mighty and correct just because you used to be a very good player for your club. Valid criticism are okay but some of the stuffs They said were there to generate headlines. They aren't even involved in the club anymore, They can't talk like a know-it-all.

No one is entitled for anything. They have a history with the club and are now creating another history in the eyes of supporters of the club by acting like bellends on TV sometimes. I used to think Scholes as the footballer who has that class - gets the job done, doesn't talk shit, no need for fancy hairs or cars, no need to show off. But once He gets air time on TV? boy oh boy, everybody needs controversies to make money.

I don't hate all the pundits. I like Rio.

Last edited:

deafepl

What Zlatan said is correct.

Yeah, they have the right to criticize us but they're much biased and entitled as if they know much more about football than coaches. For example, Nevile can't see Scott as DM and think he only can play as CB. Scott was good for us recently as in DM with Matic injured, not amazing performance but very mature performance.

I think the class of 92 likes of Nevile and Scholes is more reactionary just like here when we lost the game.

Ban

Problem is Neville and Scholes try to be too neutral sometimes and speak crap tbh every now and then. Im not saying they should be totally in fan mode but should look to to Rio I think, who even though he criticizes sometimes is often complimentary about the team and the club.
Scholes and Neville try to be negative for the sake of it and Neville jumps into his own mouth with his statements. Not to mention criticizing some of our players too much.
Of course some of the criticism they get from our fans is way ott.

iKnowNothing

If my memory serves me right, Gary Neville spoke at length about giving managers more time when we had Moyes at the helm. I'm sure a lot of people here did not agree with that, and would have expressed their displeasure over Nev's comments. Would that make it disrespecting him or the class of 92?

I don't think people are disrespecting the class of 92. I think people are just disagreeing with some of the things that Nev, Scholes and co are saying. Criticize the post and not the poster or summat.

Denis' cuff

Don’t see much disrespecting. They dedicated their time towards improving their game while they were young, more than most, maybe but were very fortunate to be trained and managed under the best. Could’ve been Everton, spurs but we’re lucky it was United. Good luck to them, they had their day.

As pundits, they are in a different role and deserve no more respect than anyone else. Especially when they clearly follow the narrative of their paymasters. They’ve now gone and show little or no loyalty to United (Unlike ex players of other clubs) but clearly display an entitlement and make noises according to which manager suits their ambition. They are not fans and United were their lucky employers. Admittedly, a broad sweep but largely, they really are a self serving bunch.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I’m not sure why anyone would have disagreed with anything Scholes has said as a pundit in the last year. We’ve all basically said the same thing if not worse here.
well he is a paid to say something different from the rest o us... and something interesting. he fails on both accounts. No idea why anyone would think he'd make a good pundit given his past refusal to ever be interviewed. And criticising him for that in no way denigrates anything he did on the football field

Treble

Why is Zlatan's opinion relevant? He's a mercenary.
More of a narcissistic clown in Mourinho's mould.

It's amaizing he gets so much love for leading us to 6th in the league (2nd worst finish in the PL history for us) and a league cup win vs Soton while contributing feck all to Martial's and Rashford's development who had their worst season at United in 16/17.

TRUERED89

Neville's comments are often baffling, but what's Scholes said that the rest of us haven't been thinking? He shares most of our beliefs and calls it how he see's it. I like the fact that he doesn't sugar coat anything and really appreciated how he would say things straight when Mourinho was in charge. No issue with what Scholes has ever said. He should come back to BT Sport, I have no problem with him as a pundit. Neville though, he really does talk some shite sometimes.

El Zoido

Zlatan aside, I can’t see that it would benefit the club in any way to have Co92 constantly in the media giving their 2p on every little thing. I’m sure they care about the club, and they have the right to work in the media and say their piece. I just don’t think it help in any way and instead only makes things more difficult.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Zlatan isn't even a legend of the club and He gets it.
He doesn't get it. Because he was a footnote in this club's history.

In truth, it's a typical and misguided take on criticism - 'if you have nothing good today, please don't say anything at all'.

If the football and the manager are miserable, what's Paul Scholes supposed to say?

"You had your time" - as if working at the club and walking away from football are the only two potions.

I understand sometimes their views are contentious and either too supportive or negative of somebody, but isn't that the case with everyone here as well? And they're even less articular than many posters here.

RedDevil@84

It's amaizing he gets so much love for leading us to 6th in the league
It is not love for getting us to 6th. It is because Zlatan is a big name and has a big charm. People who don't like him as such will never like whatever small things he does.
Besides, when we say Zlatan's goals got us only 6th, it will be a case of "In the land of the blind..........". So that's there.

while contributing feck all to Martial's and Rashford's development who had their worst season at United in 16/17.
I am not sure how you say that with so much conviction. I would be surprised if Rashford/Martial did not learn anything from Zlatan. At least hunger and zeal to keep scoring.

RedDevil@84

Zlatan has the cockiness to call out the constant moaning of the likes of Neville and Scholesy. Even though his reasoning might be dodgy.

Saffron

I am not sure how you say that with so much conviction. I would be surprised if Rashford/Martial did not learn anything from Zlatan. At least hunger and zeal to keep scoring.
Martial was our top scorer in the league and all competitions 2015-2016 and was voted Europe's best young player. The Golden Boy is an extremely prestigious award.

Then Zlatan came and took his jersey (surely facilitated by Mourinho – name a better narcissistic duo), Martial's development screeched to a halt and only began to recover once he left.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ws-Anthony-Martial-Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-Arsenal

RedDevil@84

Martial was our top scorer 2015-2016 and was voted Europe's best young player. The Golden Boy is an extremely prestigious award.

Then Zlatan came and took his jersey (surely facilitated by Mourinho – name a better narcissistic duo), Martial's development halted to a screech and only began to recover this season.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ws-Anthony-Martial-Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-Arsenal
So Martial lost his form and zeal to play for United or make name for himself, all because of a jersey number??
And I would assume that the club talked to him about the jersey change, rather than him coming on to the dressing room and finding Zlatan's name on it.

Even though I acknowledge that the jersey number loss would have put a sour taste in his mouth, I would rather put the blame on the turmoil in his personal life in the 2016-17 season rather than the jersey number.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He doesn't get it. Because he was a footnote in this club's history.

In truth, it's a typical and misguided take on criticism - 'if you have nothing good today, please don't say anything at all'.

If the football and the manager are miserable, what's Paul Scholes supposed to say?

"You had your time" - as if working at the club and walking away from football are the only two potions.

I understand sometimes their views are contentious and either too supportive or negative of somebody, but isn't that the case with everyone here as well? And they're even less articular than many posters here.
Anything He wants as long as He has enough to back it up and not trying to create headlines out of thin air by sparking unnecessary dramas during a rough period for the club.

But We are not legends are We? This is the internet and that already explains it all. What We type here won't split the fan base and won't make things worse or better for the club, at least not directly. We're here for discussion among supporters.

"Co 92" is supposedly what Manchester United all about but you can't deny some of them are turning it into a brand with fan boys behind them, blinded by glorious past because of their childhood heroes. They were bigging up their mate Giggsy to get the job even though They have shown nothing when it comes into management and Giggs was never the best option for us. I don't know about you but that seemed very dodgy to me.

Okay, They're our legends, They were very good players, world class players even. They were our identities but that's all, it stopped the moment they entered the other side of football. They are in a different market now, making money through different ways. So for now, imho We should treat them just like any other pundits. Respect is earned not given just because You were a part of a class.

I don't agree with people who talk shit about them but people shouldn't try to defend them as if They're some sort of footballing gods either. And again, if you want to put what We say here to be in the same level as what They say then what's wrong with posters disagreeing with them? I understand sometimes the posters views are contentious and either too supportive or negative of somebody.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
So Martial lost his form and zeal to play for United or make name for himself, all because of a jersey number??
And I would assume that the club talked to him about the jersey change, rather than him coming on to the dressing room and finding Zlatan's name on it.

Even though I acknowledge that the jersey number loss would have put a sour taste in his mouth, I would rather put the blame on the turmoil in his personal life in the 2016-17 season rather than the jersey number.
I remember that. Do you know his ex used the fact that he was stripped of shirt number to stab him even more on social media ?

It's like she knew exactly how to torture him in act of vengeance. F*ckin relationships, I swear. :lol:

Saffron

It was part and parcel of Mourinho's stifling effect on young players. Rashford faced a similarly stunted development under him. He treated the reigning Golden Boy winner and club top scorer like an academy player. There's a reason agents said they would never dream of sending their best young players to United as long as Mourinho was still here.

Why would the club want to demotivate their brightest starlet by giving his jersey to a 35 year old mercenary? It was almost certainly done by Mourinho, quite possibly on Zlatan's request. In any case, Zlatan was certainly aware of it and had no problems with it.

That's straight out of Mourinho's mouth. We don't know how much it affected him. Amazing how Mourinho's deflections are somehow still canon in 2019, when he has proven time and again he will say absolutely anything to deflect blame away from himself and his extremely poor man management.

RedDevil@84

It was part and parcel of Mourinho's stifling effect on young players. Rashford faced a similarly stunted development under him. He treated the reigning Golden Boy winner and club top scorer like an academy player. There's a reason agents said they would never dream of sending their best young players to United as long as Mourinho was still here.

Why would the club want to demotivate their brightest starlet by giving his jersey to a 35 year old mercenary? It was almost certainly done by Mourinho, quite possibly on Zlatan's request. In any case, Zlatan was certainly aware of it and had no problems with it.

That's straight out of Mourinho's mouth. We don't know how much it affected him. Amazing how Mourinho's deflections are somehow still canon in 2019, when he has proven time and again he will say absolutely anything to deflect blame away from himself and his extremely poor man management.
So Mourinho, Mourinho, Mourinho and Mourinho.
I get it that you hated him. Many people did. He was cocky (as expected) and played boring football (again, as expected) and to make it worse he didn't win the league (not as expected).

Do you also believe that evil Mourinho is derailing our top 4 challenge with his Telekinesis abilities

ryansgirl

Anything He wants as long as He has enough to back it up and not trying to create headlines out of thin air by sparking unnecessary dramas during a rough period for the club.

"Co 92" is supposedly what Manchester United all about but you can't deny some of them are turning it into a brand with fan boys behind them, blinded by glorious past because of their childhood heroes. They were bigging up their mate Giggsy to get the job even though They have shown nothing when it comes into management and Giggs was never the best option for us. I don't know about you but that seemed very dodgy to me.

Okay, They're our legends, They were very good players, world class players even. They were our identities but that's all, it stopped the moment they entered the other side of football. They are in a different market now, making money through different ways. So for now, imho We should treat them just like any other pundits. Respect is earned not given just because You were a part of a class.

I don't agree with people who talk shit about them but people shouldn't try to defend them as if They're some sort of footballing gods either. And again, if you want to put what We say here to be in the same level as what They say then what's wrong with posters disagreeing with them? I understand sometimes the posters views are contentious and either too supportive or negative of somebody.
Hmm, you're trying to be reasonable but you're asserting too much and under-playing what was actual United history. Just why exactly was Ryan Giggs in the picture for the manager position and not just because of his ex-team mates? It was because David Moyes had failed utterly at what was supposed to be some kind of smooth transition after Sir Alex retired. Decent, low-profile Scot, no controversies in his life, had achieved some success with Everton.

Except the job was always going to be too big for him - some of us said that here when his name initially came up. Giggsy never had to be 'bigged up' by his mates. He was a logical choice for he caretaker job as he had been with United since he was a teenager and was and will always be rightfully associated with Manchester United's most successful era and with Sir Alex Ferguson.

Of course he lacked and still lacks management experience. But after David Moyes he was a credible candidate and looking now at what happened post Moyes, there still was a basic logic to the idea that somebody like Giggsy might be able to steady the ship because of that long and glorious time with United. Ole is demonstrating now why the idea of choosing from within United circles always was a viable option.

Whose says the Class of 92 are footballing 'gods'? The reason why some of us respect their opinions or their right to them even when we disagree is that their commitment to Manchester United has always spoken for itself - both as players and now. I don't agree with everything Gary and Paul said about United under Van Gaal and Mourinho and I felt it wasn't right to suggest that Mourinho should be sacked the way it was by Scholesy but since when was Scholesy anybody other than a decent, plain speaking man?

If he had said some of the claptrap that other ex footballing pundits say on the regular, then yes, if the shoe fits and all that. I can't stand the partisanship of some pundits who merely continue their footballing life by promoting their club and themselves in the media. I don't have to mention the names...

Sure some people on the caf are annoyed or angered by the plain speaking Paul or the opinions of Gary or Keano giving his real mind on camera but it has always been clear to me that as players who continually produced for United regardless of what was going on in the background and understood what it really meant to pull on the Manchester United shirt unlike most of the players we have seen since they and Rio etc stopped playing for United, they are incredibly special and thank goodness they played at that time.

Negan

So basically this whole forum has been calling Scholes, Rio, Neville etc out for their opinions but as soon as Zlatan does it, he’s a prick... :rolleyes:

He does have a point. All I hear is “Sir Alex this, Class of 92 that.”... clubs like Madrid, Barca etc have had great managers and legends too. They’re not constantly comparing everything to them and pressurizing them. Mourinho’s biggest problem at United was the pressure to “play the United way”... there is no United way. There’s a Ferguson way. That’s what Solskjær is trying to play.

If Mourinho was allowed to buy a bunch of HIS players and not being forced by the media to develop kids and play attacking football, he would have been a bigger success here. Everything he did HIS way was constantly under scrutiny. Especially when it didn’t work out. People go on about Pogba having handcuffs on... but Mourinho had them on more.

el3mel

Martial was our top scorer in the league and all competitions 2015-2016 and was voted Europe's best young player. The Golden Boy is an extremely prestigious award.

Then Zlatan came and took his jersey (surely facilitated by Mourinho – name a better narcissistic duo), Martial's development screeched to a halt and only began to recover once he left.

It's 2 years since Zlatan left and people are still accusing him for Martial's problems instead of criticizing Martial's inability to develop so far, ridiculous. He's about the only player to not have a rise in performance since Ole took over.

Also he was our top scorer in this season by what ? 17 goals ?

As for what Zlatan said about the class of 92, absolutely spot on, again. It's not hard to realize how much of an annoyance in the press they're, except for those with red tinted glass.

On the other hand you'll never see anyone saying a bad word about Rio as a pundit. Maybe because he does his job much better and just doesn't want to appear as a neutral ?

Member 39557

So basically this whole forum has been calling Scholes, Rio, Neville etc out for their opinions but as soon as Zlatan does it, he’s a prick... :rolleyes:

He does have a point. All I hear is “Sir Alex this, Class of 92 that.”... clubs like Madrid, Barca etc have had great managers and legends too. They’re not constantly comparing everything to them and pressurizing them. Mourinho’s biggest problem at United was the pressure to “play the United way”... there is no United way. There’s a Ferguson way. That’s what Solskjær is trying to play.

If Mourinho was allowed to buy a bunch of HIS players and not being forced by the media to develop kids and play attacking football, he would have been a bigger success here. Everything he did HIS way was constantly under scrutiny. Especially when it didn’t work out. People go on about Pogba having handcuffs on... but Mourinho had them on more.
The United way is attacking, entertaining football, more often than not played by utilising the wings.

"All those lads you see going to the factory in Trafford Park, they come to watch you on Saturday," Busby told Charlton. "They have boring jobs, so you have to give them something they will enjoy."

ryansgirl

The United way is attacking, entertaining football, more often than not played by utilising the wings.
Yes, it's interesting how some posters on the caf seem to think that tradition started with Sir Alex Ferguson.
Another interesting thing is how David Moyes in one way can be compared to Dave Sexton who was also shown the door fairly early. Apparently the players found it difficult to understand what he wanted from them and the style he wanted them to play was contrary to United's traditions. Correct me if I am wrong.

StrettyEnder07

Same as the Twitter trolls, in my opinion it's the younger generation of fans now who think it is just Football Manager and you have 500m every summer and you have some divine right to be winning eveything.

Twitter especially seems to just bring out the negativity in everyone and unless you are Pep you get hammered.

Any fans giving Scholes or whoever shit in my opinion are just idiots, any hardcore United fans who grew up watching the great man, they are the only opinions that matter, some clown from wherever, who has never seen Old Trafford and who is clueless about Scholes can crack on, won't be losing any sleep over their opinions.

Teja

In my mind the class of 92 can easily learn a thing or two from other club legends who seem more than happy to not kick the club when we’re down (Cantona, Rio, OGS, Stam, Vida, Beckham, SAF, Rooney etc).

They chose punditry to enrich themselves and they proved they know feck all about what it takes to manage a club from their spectacular failures so their opinions about what to do to take the club forward are borderline useless as well or maybe as useful as an average fans opinon is.

Using their privileged status as club legends, without any proof that their opinions are actually good, with no consequences for bad ideas (Scholes literally wanted Pogba sold), whining about the club on TV obviously takes the polish off of their legendary status for me.

StrettyEnder07

Oh wow!! Are we doing the Manchester fans vs Non-Manchester fans again?? Or throw abuse at other's opinions based on distance from Old Trafford to their place of birth
Ha jesus chill the f**k out, don't bother me where people are from if they make the effort to go to games.

What I can't stand is some muppet who sits in his bedroom, keyboard warrioring the hell out of forums and Twitter, slagging off every man and his dog who have done great things for United, saying his he is massive United fan.

You want to tear into Scholes and whoever, knock yourself out but to me you're a bit of an idiot loving him failing after what he has done for the club.

You disagree, crack on, I won't be losing any sleep over it, now put your toys back in your pram princess