Diversity of Burnley's squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

I was just looking at Burnley's squad and is anyone else amazed at the lack of diversity in the squad both from a nationality and race perspective. I'm not accusing them of anything but its odd as every other team in the league has a decent mix.

It probably says a lot about their style of play too. In the PL you'd expect to have black players in the squad as genetically they are the most athletic. Most teams also have French or Spanish players as they produce the best footballers in Europe along with Germany. There are also a lot more South American players in the PL because frankly their players are usually a joy to watch and have the extra skill and flair needed in teams.

I find it quite odd that Burnley wouldn't want some of these qualities in their team. I mean it's served them well so far but looking at them you can't help but feel one of the reasons they are bottom is due to lack of pace, athleticism and skill in the side. Pulis was a fecking dinosaur but even he had a diverse team with the likes of Begovic, Nzonzi, Kenwyne Jones.

My question to the Caf is do you think this is deliberate from Burnley?

RashyForPM

I don’t think it’s deliberate. However, I did think the exact same thing and said so to my dad and brother. It’s a team full of massive, white players. Just a coincidence though I’m sure. Nowt wrong with that at the end of the day.

Bojan11

Don’t they have a lot of black players in their youth team?

The Original

I observed to myself how all their players look alike without making the racial connection.

Now that you point it out, it's worth taking a look at Burnley as a whole to see if there is any wider evidence of some pattern here.

UmbroDays

I thought this recently as they were on TV right?

I just remember tall, white lads...then I remembered the flag that flew from the plane.

No manager needs to have nationally or racially diverse players, but it's just something I noticed but didn't feel a way about.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They're diverse from the other teams by keeping it so non diverse:lol:

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
The women's first team:

Haddock

The former Independent now Guardian sportswriter and professional shit stirrer Jonathan Liew made this very same insinuation a few years ago, as did L'Equipe.

The simple answer is a British club with limited resources has British players.

Dyche also has a very specific set of demands which begin with a lot of off pitch qualities. It wouldn't surprise me if he found that it's easier to get domestic players who have grown up with coaches and fathers/brothers/uncles espousing similar attitudes to the game than someone from a different culture. Dyche has used black players - Dwight McNeil, Lennon, Andre Gray - all domestic.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind.

The Original

The former Independent now Guardian sportswriter and professional shit stirrer Jonathan Liew made this very same insinuation a few years ago, as did L'Equipe.

Dyche also has a very specific set of demands which begin with a lot of off pitch qualities. It wouldn't surprise me if he found that it's easier to get domestic players who have grown up with coaches and fathers/brothers/uncles espousing similar attitudes to the game than someone from a different culture. Dyche has used black players - Dwight McNeil, Lennon, Andre Gray - all domestic.

This is not about Sean Dyche and the few black players he may have used someplace sometime, this is about Burnely and a rather conspicuous lack of representation in both their male and female teams.

Are there not blacks who understand the culture who are just as accessible?

Lynty

Coincidence.

"You know what lads. We need to buy a big black fella up front" - Dyche

...that would be more racist, even if it is true.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
This is not about Sean Dyche and the few black players he may have used someplace sometime, this is about Burnely and a rather conspicuous lack of representation in both their male and female teams.

You’re clutching at straws trying to include the female team. It’s a fecking amateur side. 0.2% of the population is black, so yea chances are there might not be a black women who is “accessible.” Or do you think they should be enticing them in from around the country with the promise of a packet of chips and if they’re lucky a sandwich if they score?

The Original

You’re clutching at straws trying to include the female team. It’s a fecking amateur side. 0.2% of the population is black, so yea chances are there might not be a black women who is “accessible.” Or do you think they should be enticing them in from around the country with the promise of a packet of chips and if they’re lucky a sandwich if they score?
That is 3%.

And when it comes to professional football, there 33% of players are BAME (predominantly black).

You would have to go out of your way to avoid BAME players for you to end up with an entire squad of white players.

The last part of your post is just ridiculous. Are the white players paid in chips and sandwiches?

Give your head a wobble.

T_Model101

With respect, Burnley is hardly the most diverse of places
0.2% of the population identified as black in the 2011 census
Surely you'd expect the youth setup to reflect this lack of diversity
Why they don't have black players in the first team probably reflects their scouting setup and the like

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

How could it possibly, when he said more than once that he sees it as coincidence and is making no insinuation?

Kag

Thread ender.

limerickcitykid

That is 3%.

And when it comes to professional football, there 33% of players are BAME (predominantly black).

You would have to go out of your way to avoid BAME players for you to end up with an entire squad of white players.

The last part of your post is just ridiculous. Are the white players paid in chips and sandwiches?

Give your head a wobble.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnley

That is 0.2%

It isn’t professional.

No they aren’t paid in anything half the time.

You’re entire post is ridiculous and don’t actually know what you’re even talking about. Give your own head a wobble while you’re at it.

The Original

With respect, Burnley is hardly the most diverse of places
0.2% of the population identified as black in the 2011 census
Surely you'd expect the youth setup to reflect this lack of diversity
Why they don't have black players in the first team probably reflects their scouting setup and the like
Well, the funny thing is that there are lots of black players in the youth setup so this argument doesn't hold up.

The first team has players from Scotland, and Europe, Ireland too, and New Zealand. You're not arguing they all grew up in Burnley?

el3mel

I'm sorry but what's really the point of such thread and such discussion ?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

So there aren’t black British players? I mean the chances of signing black English players in your squad is much higher than signing an Icelandic and New Zealander and they have one of each.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Off the pitch qualities like what exactly ?

The Original

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnley

That is 0.2%

It isn’t professional.

No they aren’t paid in anything half the time.

You’re entire post is ridiculous and don’t actually know what you’re even talking about. Give your own head a wobble while you’re at it.
As for the population stat I admit I was off on that because I thought you were talking about England as a whole, not Burnley in particular. And it makes a bit of a difference to say that the women's team is not professional, however, the women's team was only thrown in as additional evidence.

The focus is on the male team which has all the resources of a premier league football club, and thus none of the defences you have raised.

alexthelion

Does it really matter how a team is made up?

OP seems to be wanting to a bit of sh!tstirring imo.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Why do people care so much about the demographic make up of a team? It is regressive and moronic to care unless there is a legitimate complaint against them by someone who claims discrimination. You can't just look at the demographic makeup of an organization and infer "something odd" as though you should find an even proportionality of race across all facets of life.

limerickcitykid

As for the population stat I admit I was off on that because I thought you were talking about England as a whole, not Burnley in particular. And it makes a bit of a difference to say that the women's team is not professional, however, the women's team was only thrown in as additional evidence.

The focus is on the male team which has all the resources of a premier league football club, and thus none of the defences you have raised.
It isn’t additional evidence to anything other than your complete nonsense.

Trying to claim the women’s team is evidence to anything is just you trying to label anything and everything as racist.

The Original

It isn’t additional evidence to anything other than your complete nonsense.

Trying to claim the women’s team is evidence to anything is just you trying to label anything and everything as racist.
I have conceded that my argument on the women's team is wrong.

My only enduring question to you is why does a club with Burnely's stature have no black players in its first team despite BAME players (predominantly black) being 33% of all professional footballers?

They can't afford the chips and sandwiches?

I'd also be very interested in seeing what and what constitutes the "anything and everything" I have labelled as racist ever on this forum and including in this thread.

Oranges038

I might be wrong here but I assume it works something like this.

The Manager has a squad, he needs to fill a position. He knows the type of player that he wants, what attributes he wants from that player etc..

He draws up a list, assesses the options available and chooses the player he thinks is right for the position.

I very much doubt on Dyches/Burnley's list of criteria there is a box to tick for skin colour.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
What a shitfest of a thread.

English team full of predominantly English players? I’m sure you‘ll find many teams on the continent with a similar makeup.

Really not sure what the angle is here?

limerickcitykid

I have conceded that my argument on the women's team is wrong.

My only enduring question to you is why does a club with Burnely's stature have no black players in its first team despite BAME players (predominantly black) being 33% of all professional footballers?

They can't afford the chips and sandwiches?

I'd also be very interested in seeing what and what constitutes the "anything and everything" I have labelled as racist ever on this forum and including in this thread.
You didn’t concede it, you continued to try claim it as “evidence.”

They do have a black player. One who has specifically come out and said what youve just said is highly disrespectful to him and his father. So my only enduring question is why are you blatantly being disrespectful to Dwight McNeil and his family?

The anything is and every is quite clear. It’s you trying to claim an amateur women’s team having no black players in an area with very few black people is somehow a sign of racism.

redcafe_reader

I find it quite odd that Burnley wouldn't want some of these qualities in their team. I mean it's served them well so far but looking at them you can't help but feel one of the reasons they are bottom is due to lack of pace, athleticism and skill in the side. Pulis was a fecking dinosaur but even he had a diverse team with the likes of Begovic, Nzonzi, Kenwyne Jones.

My question to the Caf is do you think this is deliberate from Burnley?
I find it funny you didn't say due to lack of brain, tactic, idea or discipline, etc, are you implying diversify player only good at pace, athleticism, and skill?

Brophs

The One and Only
Joe Hart was a diversity hire if I ever saw one.

Status
Not open for further replies.