Music DJ Mixes (CAF members or otherwise)

vidic blood & sand

Yeah Arturia makes some good stuff. In the early days I always found the hardest thing was having things change up enough to keep it interesting. It's also really difficult to gauge your own work. I'd be super critical of my own, then listen to someone I love leave the same 4 bar loop going for ages.
There are days when the inspiration is there, and other days when you close everything down and walk away in disgust. I know what you mean about judging you're own work, but it's good to be creative regardless of the standard. The more creative you are, the higher the standard you're going to judge your creations.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
The early days of house were really exciting. Back in the mid 80s, the electro hip hop scene was phasing into gangster rap, and soul funk was running out of steam. There just seemed to be an anticipation of something new, and when the early chicago house sound hit the pirate radio stations and clubs around 1986, it was huge. It was pure underground in those days, and I used to spend a fortune buying imports in London. Grooves, Hitman, Blubirds, Virgin megastore. Commercial radio hated house in those days, so people tuned in to pirate stations instead. For me house will always be underground.
So easy to spend all your money on vinyl! I bought thousand of 12s in the 90's ranging from the rave stuff (none of your commercial 2 Unlimited bollocks here!) through to the progressive house tunes and early trance in the later 90s with a smattering of drum & bass too. If it was good music, it was good. I didn't care about genre's or anything like that. If I liked it, I bought it.
At the time I lived in Portsmouth, and we had a couple of decent shops - JellyJam and Domino records, and there was a real vibe in there. They knew you and you knew them... and thats how the scene was generally. We travelled all over the south coast and up to London to club and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Course in the end I had to make a choice about family, career etc, which won out, and I sold most of my vinyl (one of the most heartbreaking periods of my life!) but it was worth it.
Now I listen to music all the time, buy house from time to time, and DJ to myself last thing at night! It still makes me happy.

Oh, and your comment on Dmitri from Paris... his mix of Lost In Music is one of my recent favourites. You can imagine dropping it in a club and the place going off!

vidic blood & sand

So easy to spend all your money on vinyl! I bought thousand of 12s in the 90's ranging from the rave stuff (none of your commercial 2 Unlimited bollocks here!) through to the progressive house tunes and early trance in the later 90s with a smattering of drum & bass too. If it was good music, it was good. I didn't care about genre's or anything like that. If I liked it, I bought it.
At the time I lived in Portsmouth, and we had a couple of decent shops - JellyJam and Domino records, and there was a real vibe in there. They knew you and you knew them... and thats how the scene was generally. We travelled all over the south coast and up to London to club and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Course in the end I had to make a choice about family, career etc, which won out, and I sold most of my vinyl (one of the most heartbreaking periods of my life!) but it was worth it.
Now I listen to music all the time, buy house from time to time, and DJ to myself last thing at night! It still makes me happy.

Oh, and your comment on Dmitri from Paris... his mix of Lost In Music is one of my recent favourites. You can imagine dropping it in a club and the place going off!
Love DFP's rework of Lost In Music too! Also his rework of Norma jean Wright's - Saturday. Epic!
You must have made a fortune from selling that underground dance collection. Some early house, D&B, Jungle, and hardcore swaps hands for tasty sums.
I sold my collection as well, but have since amassed an even bigger MP3 collection :)
The memories of going out at the weekend to by new clothes, records, and then clubbing were awesome. But then, as you say, work and family kill it dead. Sitting in watching Noels house party and the generation game :mad: