Djed Spence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
What LWBs out there have the level of production of Perisic? If he doesn't move the needle then who would have?
Kostic, Raum, Cucurella.

I rate Perisic but PL is death on older players and the position that ages worst is winger/wing back. My guess is that he brings helpful experience but plays only half the matches and is only a small improvement on Reguilon. A better player for sure but with less legs.

Caesar2290

How has this lad performed compared to Laird when he was on loan at Swansea. Was he better?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
How has this lad performed compared to Laird when he was on loan at Swansea. Was he better?
One of them seems to be in pretty much every pundits "team of the season" for the championship... And it ain't laird

So yeah he had a much better season

Looks to be a good player .. bit suspect positionally sometimes but he's young and one think Conte will still into him is positional play

Would be a good move for him and spurs if he goes there

Caesar2290

One of them seems to be in pretty much every pundits "team of the season" for the championship... And it ain't laird

So yeah he had a much better season

Looks to be a good player .. bit suspect positionally sometimes but he's young and one think Conte will still into him is positional play

Would be a good move for him and spurs if he goes there
Thanks for the reply, but my question was about more how he compares to Laird's time at Swansea?

Spence played in the same team for an entire season while we decided to "play smart" and change his loan great Swansea loan where everyone loved him to Bournemouth which didn't exactly work out.

Looking at their stats Spence has 2 goals and 4 assists in 3621 minutes or 1 goal contribution per 603 minutes compared to Laird's 0 goals and 3 assists in 1987 minutes or 1 goal contribution per 662 minutes.

Not that much between them coupled with the fact that Laird had to adapt to a new team and new formation mid season. If we are to go solely by his Swansea time he has 3 assists in 1612 minutes, or a goal contribution every 538 minutes.

Stats don't tell the full story, but offensive wise Laird was having a similarly good season, until we botched his loan. Hence my curiosity about his time specifically at Swansea.

GledTheRed

We were all laughing at spurs six months ago, they get CL and look to making some real positive moves in the market. They'll finish above us next season at this rate, difficult to see how we get top four tbh.

El-Manos

We were all laughing at spurs six months ago, they get CL and look to making some real positive moves in the market. They'll finish above us next season at this rate, difficult to see how we get top four tbh.
They have been doing well so far in the transfer window but it’s too early to tell. If we end up with 2-3 really good signings - this could change the tide. I’ll reserve my season predictions until the transfer window is finished.

redcucumber

I take it he's not too bothered about rejoining Forest, then? They'd surely be open to spending £15m on him. They're at risk of losing Samba, Garner, Spence, and Keinan Davis. With that said Dean Henderson is an improvement on Samba, and Awoniyi from Union Berlin looks like an interesting addition upfront.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Wait Spurs want to pay a fair bit less than £15m, ffs just bring him in and ship out AWB on loan. At a price like that, at worst case scenario we can sell him on and make our money back or end up with a player that’s our potential first choice full back for a decade.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'm not sure why Spurs are taking such a leisurely approach towards the potential signing of Spence. Unusually, we have plenty of money available to spend this window, so it can't really be that much about trying to save money by driving the asking price down.

Perhaps we first want to be sure of selling Royale before committing to Spence? Who knows.

davidmichael

Was just going to post Spurs and Boro seem to have broken down in negotiations, at £15 million and on the back of the season he’s just had surely signing Spence is a no brainer ?

Offer Boro either Laird or Williams on loan for the season and £12 million and I’m sure they’d take that, move AWB on this summer then Dalot on next summer and go with Spence and Laird going forward.

phelans shorts

Was just going to post Spurs and Boro seem to have broken down in negotiations, at £15 million and on the back of the season he’s just had surely signing Spence is a no brainer ?

Offer Boro either Laird or Williams on loan for the season and £12 million and I’m sure they’d take that, move AWB on this summer then Dalot on next summer and go with Spence and Laird going forward.
Who is going to, you know, defend if the right backs are Spence and Laird?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure why Spurs are taking such a leisurely approach towards the potential signing of Spence. Unusually, we have plenty of money available to spend this window, so it can't really be that much about trying to save money by driving the asking price down.

Perhaps we first want to be sure of selling Royale before committing to Spence? Who knows.
Wasn't there an article saying that Levy took charge of Spence negotiations ? That might explain it :angel:

OleGunnar20

As far as modern fullbacks go, I reckon Laird has more than enough potential defensively, though he's clearly better going forward. Seems to be the norm with fullbacks these days. Let's hope he overcomes his Injuries.

Spence I've seen too little of to comment really.

davidmichael

I think Laird would be fine defensively and the whole point of De Jong is that he at times acts as a third centre back with the full backs bombing forward, Antony if we signed him also needs an attacking right behind him as he had with Mazraoui which both Laird and Spence excel in.

worldinmotion66

I watched quite a bit of spence in the flesh last season and he never failed to impress. He's great technically, but it's his recovery pace and upper body strength that really impressed me most. There have been questions about his attitude but £15m is a no brainer imo. I'd be surprised if they weren't looking for £20m+.

Dante

Average bang
He seems like more of an winger type of RB. Should work well in Conte's 3-5-2 if he has the quality to step up.

Not sure how suitable he'd be as an inverted fullback in Ten Hag's system.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Now this is what you call a ‘transfer saga’. A full back from a fecking Championship club no less, yet dragging on for months. Clearly, Spurs didn’t take the ‘just pay the money’ or the ‘just walk away’ options.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I'd rather we see how he does at Forest before splashing out. He looks a talent but so did Ryan Sessegnon back in his Fulham days (not that he's bad).

At the very worst, he'll go for 30m if/when Forest get relegated. And then you can at least guarantee if he's got the goods
He's not a Forest player, he plays for Boro.

Poch

Supports
Spurs
Deal done, spurs will announce him tomorrow.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
who has kidnapped Daniel Levy - and where did they find someone who looks so like him?. Pretty much spent more this summer that in his entire time at Spurs previously (ok, a bit of an overstatement but still...)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Very happy with this - 21 years old and looks a total beast. This is our 6th signing so far! Absolutely insane.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why couldn’t he get into the ‘boro squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.