Music Do any Music acts get better with age ?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tupac got better with every album until his death.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Arctic Monkeys? Personally, AM aside, I think they've gotten much better over time.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ting Tings have gotten way better since they stopped making music.

lsd

The Oracle
No it wasn't. Probably bloated, but most rap double LPs fit this category.

Me Against the World is 2Pac's best album. A perfect balance between social commentary and gangsta nihilism

Yeah i would agree with me against the world

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You think ? I thought All Eyes on me was garbage .
Yeah, from 2pacalypse Now to the 7 Day Theory, there's a marked improvement in lyrics and beat selection. All Eyez on Me is far from garbage, it just suffers like many 2 disc albums of having filler. But a lot of classic 'Pac songs are on that album. I would count 7 Day Theory even though it was released after his death and for me that's my favourite album of his.

lsd

The Oracle
I have got one . Just been listening to pop voodoo by Black Grape and it is their best work after going on 20 years .

Maybe kicking drugs helps

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Rowland S. Howard comes to mind but most musicians who hit big tend to stick to that very same formula with minor deviations or unable to recreate the process that made them successful and original once.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Paradise Lost, Bolt Thrower, Katatonia, Ulcerate, Anathema, Metallica*

*Kidding
No offence but all shit bands imo except Metallica, before Ride the Lightning. They were never the same without Cliff Burton.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No offence but all shit bands imo except Metallica, before Ride the Lightning. They were never the same without Cliff Burton.
Before ride the lightning?

Puppets is the best thing they did!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I feel similarly, but in defense of AM, it got a lot of people I know interested into the band. Plus, some of those tracks are great for concerts.
I think you misunderstood what I meant by including AM in there.

I felt like Arctics got better with each album. AM breaks that rule as it is their best one in my opinion and better than Tranquility.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I think you misunderstood what I meant by including AM in there.

I felt like Arctics got better with each album. AM breaks that rule as it is their best one in my opinion and better than Tranquility.
I see what you mean now. AM happens to be my least favorite album. Not because I dislike it though. I still love it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Does anybody know Wintersleep on here? They keep developing themselves and so far every album (apart from the first two, which were kinda poor) is great in a different way. Maybe not so much an upward trajectory though.

Suedesi

Paradise Lost, Bolt Thrower, Katatonia, Ulcerate, Anathema, Metallica*

*Kidding
Some good names there...

Katatonia were my favorite band around Brave Murder Day through Tonight's Decision era. Loved Anathema with Darren White. And currently listening to Orion, which still sounds so fecking good (especially if you jack up the bass).

as in

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think Jeff Beck has developed his style quite a bit over the years and personally I probably prefer the 90s onwards stuff, though I wouldn't say it's necessarily better - just different.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Talk Talk went from being just another synth pop act to practically inventing post-rock in about 6 years, so they definitely fit the bill.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Some good names there...

Katatonia were my favorite band around Brave Murder Day through Tonight's Decision era. Loved Anathema with Darren White. And currently listening to Orion, which still sounds so fecking good (especially if you jack up the bass).

as in
I love everything Katatonia has done, except for their new album that came out in April. I just can’t get into it. Oh, and Dead End Kings is a bit boring. I love the rest, Tonight’s Decision is actually one of my favourites even though it tends to get a bad rap.

Hoof the ball

First few? He only has 3 :lol:, the bastard

They're all excellent IMO. Brown Sugar is his most conventional. Voodoo is his best album IMO, and his most radical (you really can't put it in a genre box). His latest, Black Messiah, isn't as good as either two but that may be my nostalgia talking

Long story short is he's too talented to only have 3 albums out.
Four. Live at the Jazz Cafe is an official album (even though it's just a live gig). :lol:

Manic Street Preachers and Pulp are two more examples.

The biggest, as already mentioned are The Rolling Stones. Beggars Banquet to Exile was a tremendous run of albums.

Bands will get dropped now if they don’t get instant success.

BootsyCollins

Black Thought has developed from beeing an amazing mc, to beeing an fecking amazing mc.

Black Eyed Peas got better when their popularity died down a little.

But mostly, at least when it comes to hip hop, artists loose their hunger sort of when they brake so the motivation to put in extra work might lessen.

Lyricist

J. Cole is the one that comes to mind for me
I absolutely disagree, and I'm a huge J.Cole fan since around 2010. His mixtapes were great, especially Friday Night Lights. Then there was 2014 Forest Hills Drive. But his newer stuff surely doesn't beat either Forest Hills Drive or Friday Night Lights.

MoskvaRed

Most bands get better after their debut album. The more pertinent question is whether they have a shelf-life. I can’t think of many artists who are still consistently at the top of their game after more than 10-12 years (as opposed to making a late career comeback after years of disappointing releases).

3KDré

I wouldn't say he got better with age but, from Jay Z, 4:44 was his best solo work in a long time.

Bebe

I absolutely disagree, and I'm a huge J.Cole fan since around 2010. His mixtapes were great, especially Friday Night Lights. Then there was 2014 Forest Hills Drive. But his newer stuff surely doesn't beat either Forest Hills Drive or Friday Night Lights.
Agree to disagree I suppose. I get as nostalgic as anyone for The Come Up and Warm Up, but I think where he is now goes beyond those works or even Friday Night Lights. I'd say the last 5 songs on KOD then everything he's been doing with singles, Revenge of the Dreamers 3 and the gazillion features shows him at a level beyond mixtape Cole. I don't think he could have written or pulled off the last verse on Sacrifices back then, for example. Taken his game to new heights imo.

Fingeredmouse

Most bands get better after their debut album. The more pertinent question is whether they have a shelf-life. I can’t think of many artists who are still consistently at the top of their game after more than 10-12 years (as opposed to making a late career comeback after years of disappointing releases).
I'm really not sure most bands get better after their debut. "Difficult second album" etc.