Do Brazil dance too much? Never gonna dance again

Telsim

I don't have an issue with their dancing per se, but dancing against someone like Korea while completely pasting them is just classless. If they'd done it again France or England, or better yet Argentina, then yeah, go ahead. Top shithousery.

Well, the latter isn't going to happen.

Kelly15

All the pundits claiming disrespect is probably too far, but it is cringy as hell. Paqueta's dance especially had me internally cringing.

Doing it for all 4 goals, and getting the coach involved is probably a bit much. I do wonder do they just hide behind the whole "culture" argument? Did Brazil teams of the past dance? Genuine question, as I can't quite remember.

I'm sure the likes of Cafu, Rivaldo and Co were a lot less cringy compared to the likes of Paqueta, Neymar and Co, who look more like they're auditioning for a boyband instead of celebrating some cultural thing.
Did teams of the past dance. Yes. As did many other countries.
"The legendary Brazilian forward Bebeto scored his country's second in their 3-2 quarterfinals victory over the Netherlands in the 1994 World Cup. He expressed his joy by doing the iconic 'rocking the cradle' gesture with his hands to welcome his newborn child. Since then, many footballing fathers have replicated the gesture after scoring."

" In 1982 Júnior celebrated scoring the third goal against Argentina in Spain with some impromptu samba steps."

Check out Ronaldino's samba goal celebration after scoring a goal. I can imbed videos yet so you will have to look it up.

Football is a celebration. They are playing a game. Why not enjoy it. Sometime you have to look at another's perspective. Another's culture. It's what football is all about. Bringing people together from all walks of life to celebrate our differences and what makes our species so special.
Imo maybe from their perspective they look at those who do not celebrate as stuffy and to serious about a game. Probably wondering why don't they enjoy their football. Show some emotion. Have some fun. Life is short. Enjoy the moment.

Kelly15

It's not really in their culture to dance is it?
Yes it is.
"Samba and football were adopted by country’s working classes in 1930s and have been passed down via Pelé to new generation.

"'I was afraid of playing football because I had often seen a black player get struck on the pitch for committing a foul,” said Domingos da Guia, a defender who played for Brazil in the 1938 World Cup. “But I was a very good dancer and that helped me on the pitch. I invented the short dribble by imitating the miudinho, a form of samba.”'

eire-red

Did teams of the past dance. Yes. As did many other countries.
"The legendary Brazilian forward Bebeto scored his country's second in their 3-2 quarterfinals victory over the Netherlands in the 1994 World Cup. He expressed his joy by doing the iconic 'rocking the cradle' gesture with his hands to welcome his newborn child. Since then, many footballing fathers have replicated the gesture after scoring."

" In 1982 Júnior celebrated scoring the third goal against Argentina in Spain with some impromptu samba steps."

Check out Ronaldino's samba goal celebration after scoring a goal. I can imbed videos yet so you will have to look it up.

Football is a celebration. They are playing a game. Why not enjoy it. Sometime you have to look at another's perspective. Another's culture. It's what football is all about. Bringing people together from all walks of life to celebrate our differences and what makes our species so special.
Imo maybe from their perspective they look at those who do not celebrate as stuffy and to serious about a game. Probably wondering why don't they enjoy their football. Show some emotion. Have some fun. Life is short. Enjoy the moment.
I think people overreacted to Brazil, you're probably right. But I did think the entire squad choreographed dance routines for all four goals against South Korea was a bit much.

To me, all they did was paint a target on their backs. Today felt like a bit of karma for them.

Grande

And there you go. No prizes for that "prediction" though. :D
I’d prefered them to go through, tbh. Even if I quite admire the Croatian team. Brazil was an exciting watch this year, and the defensive players they had, including Allisson, Paqueta and Casemiro, was of the kind that wins you tournaments. But the team switched off at the absolute worst moment.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Having watched the full game again, they changed shape after their goal, naturally. But they were too relaxed. Perhaps too knackered. I would have preferred they use Martinelli and his speed, instead of Fred’s frantic defending.

lex talionis

A bit less choreographed dancing and a bit more focus on the task at hand might have done them wonders.

lex talionis

Yes, that must be the reason that they (like all but one team at the world cup) got eliminated. Dancing.
This was a Brazil side that should have beaten, if not destroyed, Croatia. Upsets happen without question but this was a bad defeat by a Brazil side that was stacked at every position.

Of course “the” reason Brazil underperformed doesn’t come down to dancing. But the choreographed theatrics betrayed a lack of seriousness of purpose. Score a goal then celebrate, of course, but don’t make the celebration the most memorable part of the performance, whether in victory or defeat. Perform with focus on the task ahead, which is to win the fukking game.

Had Brazil gone out to an inspired Argentina side or even a weakened but very talented France side, fair play. But going out the way they did was an abomination. But hey, at least we’ll forever have great videos of choreographed goal celebration routines against performed against the likes of South Korea and Serbia.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
This was a Brazil side that should have beaten, if not destroyed, Croatia. Upsets happen without question but this was a bad defeat by a Brazil side that was stacked at every position.

Of course “the” reason Brazil underperformed doesn’t come down to dancing. But the choreographed theatrics betrayed a lack of seriousness of purpose. Score a goal then celebrate, of course, but don’t make the celebration the most memorable part of the performance, whether in victory or defeat. Perform with focus on the task ahead, which is to win the fukking game.

Had Brazil gone out to an inspired Argentina side or even a weakened but very talented France side, fair play. But going out the way they did was an abomination. But hey, at least we’ll forever have great videos of choreographed goal celebration routines against performed against the likes of South Korea and Serbia.
Indeed, Brazil should have eliminated Croatia.

Modric was 37 and croatian attackers were mediocre the whole tournament, they were missing Mandzukic and Rakitic.

It was a failure for Brazil to get eliminated by a weakened Croatia.

Even worse than the elimination by Belgium the last WC, at least all the best belgian players were at their prime.

Anyways i think for Brazil perspective getting knocked out by Croatia it's better than a possible elimination by Argentina.

Ladron de redcafe

Yeah they were disappointing. Many had them as favourites going into the tournament and they reallt could have done better. Still not sure it's related to dancing. There's plenty of time for teams to be perfectly prepared AND have enough time to do something like dance.

Only one team can win the world cup and the truth is that we see lots of upsets. Not all of them can be attributed to a reason. Sometimes, results don't go your way. They were a lot better than Croatia who barely got a touch but knocked them out on penalties.

lex talionis

Yeah they were disappointing. Many had them as favourites going into the tournament and they reallt could have done better. Still not sure it's related to dancing. There's plenty of time for teams to be perfectly prepared AND have enough time to do something like dance.

Only one team can win the world cup and the truth is that we see lots of upsets. Not all of them can be attributed to a reason. Sometimes, results don't go your way. They were a lot better than Croatia who barely got a touch but knocked them out on penalties.
The choreographed routines were of course not the cause of the problem with the Brazil NT, but a symptom of what was wrong with it. We did not see Brazil dance their way through their triumphs 58, 62, 70, 94 and 02. I’m not old enough to remember 58 and 62, but I watched the 1970 WC final live and I can tell you for a stone cold fact that there was nothing choreographed about their goal celebrations back then. There was some dance creep by 1994 (saw them in person, brilliant) but it’s on a different planet now.

Longlivekeano

There’s nothing wrong with dancing or any other forms of expressions with scoring a goal. As long as it’s not directly insulting to opponents/ fans.

kaku06

There’s nothing wrong with dancing or any other forms of expressions with scoring a goal. As long as it’s not directly insulting to opponents/ fans.
What’s up with this caveat? If someone thinks dancing is insulting to opposition then stop all celebrations altogether. Every goal celebration is rude to a degree from Zlatan to bafetimbi Gomis.

Ladron de redcafe

The choreographed routines were of course not the cause of the problem with the Brazil NT, but a symptom of what was wrong with it.
I don't see how it's a symptom of the problems with a team because I don't see the connection between dancing and winning/losing in a sport. I disagree.