Do constant comparisons with players in other teams hurt our players?

fastwalker

I get the fact that it is perfectly natural to compare players. That is after all the way you assess and evaluate whether there might be better value in the market. I also understand from a small "p" perspective how comparisons are often used by fans to banter supporters of other clubs. However, my point is that surely you reach a point when comparisons are actually counter-productive and are far more likely to damage player confidence and affect performance?

I cannot help wonder whether the sheer weight of Harry Maguire's transfer fee and early and ongoing attempts to compare him with VVD have affected his confidence. Likewise the comparison between AWB and TAA, with our front three and City and Liverpool's and now with De Bruyne and Bruno. The problem with comparisons is that they are often not always based on any objective measure and are therefore often irrational. Personally, I think Maguire has had a decent first season and by and large did what he was brought in to do. However, how much of our frustration with Harry is driven by comparisons with Van Dijk. Likewise, AWB has been one of our best players this season, yet we express frustration that he lacks the attacking instincts of TAA.

Do we put unreasonable pressure on our players when we compare them with players in other top teams or are constant comparisons, no matter how unreasonable and damaging to a players confidence, just par for the course?

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
That’s part and parcel of being a professional at the very top level. I’m sure fans of all ‘big clubs’ compare performances of their players to that of players at other clubs. It’s a natural thing to do and as a far as the players are concerned, not all can hack it and they’re the ones who move on. Working at the top in any profession comes with its challenges and being compared to your peers is to be expected.

GlasgowCeltic

Those two are obvious comparisons anyone would make and which we'd be fine with making if AWB and Maguire were at the right end of them

devlinadl

If the intention is to compete with the best, a comparison with the players currently setting the pace makes perfect sense.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Depends on our players, it's ultimately up to them to choose if they're gonna let it hurt them.

I had a friend who had an ex-girlfriend once that slept with a lot of dudes before him, she told him she used to compare their penises in her head which did put pressure on him. Ultimately he couldn't perform because he was picturing his dick in a line with a bunch of other dicks going in and out of this girl while she was taking notes. Yeah, she was a dick for making him obsessed about comparisons like these, but it was my choice to let it hurt me by putting my soul into such a hopeless circumstance for intimacy. I guess the point is, I hope our players don't make the same mistakes my friend did. I didn't have a Ole, our players do. Having a person like that could make a world of difference, and if that's not enough we have Phelan.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
How often is Pogba compared to Liverpool's midfielders?

He'sRaldo

Depends on our players, it's ultimately up to them to choose if they're gonna let it hurt them.

I had a friend who had an ex-girlfriend once that slept with a lot of dudes before him, she told him she used to compare their penises in her head which did put pressure on him. Ultimately he couldn't perform because he was picturing his dick in a line with a bunch of other dicks going in and out of this girl while she was taking notes. Yeah, she was a dick for making him obsessed about comparisons like these, but it was my choice to let it hurt me by putting my soul into such a hopeless circumstance for intimacy. I guess the point is, I hope our players don't make the same mistakes my friend did. I didn't have a Ole, our players do. Having a person like that could make a world of difference, and if that's not enough we have Phelan.
Brilliant :D

Web of Bissaka

No, the players won't care what the fans say unless they got booed.
Seriously, why should they.

The manager (Ole) also didn't compare the players with other players as prev managers (Mou and Moyes) did which hurt the players egos each time.

He'sRaldo

A lot of them haven't proved anything, so they do need to show something first before the comparisons become invalid. Same as what we do for the manager.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Obviously. Because it is obvious our fanbase compares our full games of players to highlights of others.

Look at the people in the CL thread tonight saying that Mbappe isn’t all that because he missed an easy chance. Or falling over themselves to insult the club when Hererra has a five minute good spell.

It’s only when you watch football games regularly for players that you realise they aren’t all that. I remember Ronaldo missing an open goal from aboht two yards out in 2007.

Harry Maguire is a perfect example. He cost a lot, but he improved our defence massively. The only defender in the prem who definitely had a better year than him was Van Dijk. Even he made a few feck ups. But because you only see him in highlights when he makes a good sliding tackle, Maguire seems awful when you watch him make mistakes. Like every other defender in the world.

Football players now aren’t competing with other players. They’re competing with YouTube compilations and Fifa Ratings.

oreon

Does it matter ? If you are a professional football player and comments from fans and analyst bother you then maybe you shouldn't play for Man UTD. Go play for Leicester if you can't handle the pressure.
If this bothers any of our players they need to be shipped out. We need more mentally tough players like we used have back in the day like Keane, Rooney, Scholes, Vidic

Nick7

Obviously. Because it is obvious our fanbase compares our full games of players to highlights of others.

Look at the people in the CL thread tonight saying that Mbappe isn’t all that because he missed an easy chance. Or falling over themselves to insult the club when Hererra has a five minute good spell.

It’s only when you watch football games regularly for players that you realise they aren’t all that. I remember Ronaldo missing an open goal from aboht two yards out in 2007.

Harry Maguire is a perfect example. He cost a lot, but he improved our defence massively. The only defender in the prem who definitely had a better year than him was Van Dijk. Even he made a few feck ups. But because you only see him in highlights when he makes a good sliding tackle, Maguire seems awful when you watch him make mistakes. Like every other defender in the world.

Football players now aren’t competing with other players. They’re competing with YouTube compilations and Fifa Ratings.
Good post. Spot on.

Denis79

Depends on the player I guess, some can't take the pressure some thrive in it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If you can't handle criticism/media attention or comparisons to others, then you shouldn't be at a club like United. No sympathy there.