Do Liverpool and City really look unstoppable?

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Our 4 performances so far have steadily got a little worse each time. After having looked like we were quite fit in pre-season (considering its a WC year) now we look a bit jaded and are definitely not playing anything like our free flowing best. The only good thing is that our defence has been quite solid. Even against Leicester when they scored we never really gave them another sniff of a goal afterwards. Pre VVD's arrival we would likely have drawn or even lost that game as we weren't able to cope with conceding without falling apart.

With the run of games we have coming up we need a big lift in performance level otherwise we'll find ourselves well down the table after we play City in early Oct and struggling in our CL group. The good thing is most of the teams we have in this period will have a go which suits us much better.

CognitiveNeuro

Chelsea will finish higher than Liverpool...I expect them challenge Man City more than Liverpool

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They don't look unstoppable but they play a style of football that really punishes teams that make mistakes in their own half. United generally play ok-to-well against both of them. Liverpool basically copied our approach against City in the CL but they're significantly faster on the counter which helped them win (besides the ref).

Overall City are favored in every match simply because they have better players but I don't think Spurs or Chelsea are any worse than them in the big matches, or at least they shouldn't be.

I also wouldn't lump them together because Liverpool's squad isn't as good as City's. Last season Liverpool were able to play their front 3 almost non-stop. This season Liverpool were pretty much the only big team that managed a proper pre-season with their squad and they played their first 3 matches with the same first 11 whilst United for example played 20 different players. However they've not started to play Fabinho or Shaqiri which might make a big difference this season and Sturridge also looks more fit than usual.

City still strike me as a squad that don't respond too well to adversity like they faced in Pep's first season. If we see them not win 2-3 matches in a row or just not go on a winning streak they'll probably have a "normal" season for a top team.

I think the team that wins the league is the one that manages to keep together a good run of games and win at least 25 of their matches, that is not make too many draws. It will be a long and close season I reckon and really too soon to tell. Like usual you should wait until the new year and analyze the situation then.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They look okay,Watford is another story though, see them running away with the league!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
We are only 4 games in and we can all agree Liverpool have been much improved from the back and in depth, whilst City have last seasons form to still scare us with - but will either of them be as big a force as City themselves were last season?

I've seen all of a Liverpool's games so far and they were fortunate for 3 points against Palace , whilst not exactly blowing Leicester or Brighton away. I think they were riding their luck against Leicester more than we did for sure.

If we had those performances against Leicester or Brighton (at home who are rubbish when not on their own ground) I think our fans would still complain about the way the match panned out.

Liverpool still leak some big chances in average games and I wonder if their on field displays will live up to how their squad looks on paper.

City meanwhile look ridiculously strong, but after watching Wolves I feel as though teams will have more of a go against them. Not every side will park the bus because they know it hardly works against Pep. I don't think theyl hit the tally they did last year so it's going to be an interesting view.

But what's your thoughts? The media seem to hype the pair of them and ignore ourselves and even Chelsea. I wonder whether we will have another season where another big club will take the glory this year. Its only ourselves and Chelsea as the "other contenders".
You need to watch Liverpool-PSG next week to review your thread ;)

CognitiveNeuro

Liverpool almost finished 5th on the final day of the season.
This is because they were resting players for the last couple games to save them for the CL semi-finals and the CL final and they even played a second team away to Everton 3 days before City quarter finals second leg. IIRC, they were right up there competing for 2nd place before they started resting players.

I remember them playing a second team at West Brom with Moreno being ripped to shreds when they conceded two late goals. Also they almost played a second team away to Chelsea.

I think they have more squad depth now to handle the two competitions.

Snash93

Supports
Liverpool
We haven't looked good but somehow been able to get the points. Still City's league to lose, their strength in depth is too good. Chelsea are already playing very good football but Europa League may affect them (though they won that competition and finished 3rd under Rafa a few years ago)

GNRfan

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool haven't started playing yet. Besides the West Ham game, Liverpool haven't hit their stride. They are certainly not pressing as they did last season, but our defending has been excellent.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
This is because they were resting players for the last couple games to save them for the CL semi-finals and the CL final and they even played a second team away to Everton 3 days before City quarter finals second leg. IIRC, they were right up there competing for 2nd place before they started resting players.

I remember them playing a second team at West Brom with Moreno being ripped to shreds when they conceded two late goals. Also they almost played a second team away to Chelsea.

I think they have more squad depth now to handle the two competitions.
Liverpool played their best team v Chelsea

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Are you a member of the ABU media?
No. My view is we won't win the league, and I think Chelsea and Liverpool have the ability to finish above us this season.

Just because I don't have United finishing top doesn't make me part of the ABU media.

deafepl

It seems United is only one who seems so unstoppable but lost to spurs. I can believe we can turn it on like Chelsea did in 2016/17.

Perseus

Same as last season so far. Man City, the other top five and the rest. Liverpool may turn home draws into wins and get a bit closer or they may not?

The hardest team to create a chance from open play against is still United. Need Matic and Pogba in front of Smalling and Lindelof to make sure. Spurs game was an anomaly.

Perseus

Considering Leicester & Palace were both playing at home & were chasing the game, I think it's fair to assume they'd be pushing forward & creating chances regardless of who the opposition was. The fact that neither team managed to get anything out of their respective games is more of an indicator that we've improved in the defensive area rather than Palace & Leicester's profligacy in front of goal. After all, Leicester created quite a few good chances against United at OT on the first day of the season. & this is a United side who had the 2nd best defensive record in the PL last year, & were also playing at home. Spurs away next weekend will be a good test for our back 4. We were shocking there nearly 12 months ago.

* Chelsea look like a good outside bet
I don't think Palace and Leicester showed any signs of upsetting the applecart and created nothing more than half chances which they usually miss most of them. I agree with this post. United and Liverpool beat Leicester w/o even a minor scare. Straightforward wins.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Liverpool have played well in 1 game out of 4. City haven't looked as good as last season but it's only 4 games and you'd expect them to be the team to catch again.

Chelsea have looked the best side so far for me. The Liverpool fiasco is a bit embarassing considering we're 4 games into the season and they were lucky to win at least 2 of them and unconvincing in one of the other 2. Chelsea have looked like a good side in all four games and even Watford have the same record as Liverpool but having come through more difficult fixtures.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool have conceded one goal through an individual error. Whilst we haven't been blowing teams away, that's an impressive defensive record over four PL games, especially when you consider that our clinical edge is likely to return at some point. You can't dominate every game for 90 mins, and you can't always win 5-0.

The period after the international break is hugely intense and will tell us all about whether we are title/CL contenders or not.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool haven't started playing yet.
Basically. Our season proper starts after the international break. Having maximum points from things so far is a big positive, but the points and the back five are just about only talking points worth mentioning.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
WTF does that have to do with title credentials? You were having orgasms over their [LFC's] performances last year and they still managed to win feck all.
They also finished below us. ;)

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Liverpool aren't unstoppable had we had Vardy I think we would have beaten them last match, once you get past their press they are very beatable

b20times

Liverpool look ok but who have they played yet? Nobody really! And man city don't look like they've started as well as they finished last season if that makes sense.
On current form and I feel sick saying it but Liverpool look better out of us and man city.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool look ok but who have they played yet? Nobody really! And man city don't look like they've started as well as they finished last season if that makes sense.
On current form and I feel sick saying it but Liverpool look better out of us and man city.
Are you any relation to @B20 ?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Who are you and what do you want?

simplyared

Sarri seems like the perfect fit for Chelsea. It's early doors but I'd put them in the mix with city and Liverpool. Although city are not going to take the foot off the gas this campaign and with the squad they have, they're the team who imv could be "unstoppable". Can't see us getting near any of those teams. So for me it's about those 3.

padzilla

Hipster
City won their first six games in Guardiola's first season and finished 3rd or 4th, you just never know how quickly things can change. Liverpool are still Liverpool and have not even challenged for a title under Klopp never mind being a dominant force.

Trizy

I think City will still win the league but not in the same fashion as last season. This season they'll drop points against all top sides be it away draws or losses. Whereas last season only Liverpool and Ourselves beat them.

As for Liverpool, they're better than us, Spurs and Arsenal. The media love to build them up but they're still Liverpool. Beautiful football at times but not really going to content for that #1 spot under Klopp.

friedeggden

Supports
Liverpool
We are most definitely not unstoppable. Last season we weren't consistent enough at the back and although we have address the GK issue we still don't have a consistent partner for Van Dijk. Gomez has done well in the games he's played, he was our best player against Leicester, but he's still young and barely played last season. I don't know if Klopp is planning to keep him as 1st choice for the season or Lovren will come back in but either way they can both be got at. TAA is the same.

The main thing for me is we now have goals and pace on the bench which we didn't have last season. We can call on Sturridge, Shaqiri and Origi to try and change games.

Salah has looked rusty but Mane is looking sharp. I think we'll be up there, but I can't see us derailing city. Their squad is the best in the league by far.

GlennonTheGr8

Definitely not. Liveroool have a run of games coming up where it will show that they’re far from unstoppable. I think they’ll be losses and goals conceded so it’ll depend how much damage that does to their mentality. Tottenham, PSG, Saints, Chelsea (twice in succession) and Man City... What I will say is this, if they come through that period unscathed and at worst had 2 draws and 0 losses there, it’ll cause a genuine belief that Liverpool can actually go on and achieve something special (and have silverware to show for it)

City won’t just disappear. They’re still the favourites but I can also see United going on a big run.

Reactions: Penna

SpyLuke10

My prediction:

1. City
2. United
3. Liverpool
4. Chelsea
5. Spurs
6. Arsenal

I know Spurs beat us, but... I still feel as though they are especially vulnerable to injuries derailing their season.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Liverpool have looked impressive 2/4 games, City have in 3. They don't look unstoppable by any stretch of the imagination, it's just that the rest of the chasing bunch look a fair way off their current standard. Could all change, of course.

stepic

why is Liverpool being lumped in suddenly with City? City are by far and away the best team in the country, and will win again this year. Liverpool will battle to be best of the rest, that's it.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hope not. City's last games were not very convincing and Liverpool is not consistent. They do look, however, much better than us at the moment.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
why is Liverpool being lumped in suddenly with City? City are by far and away the best team in the country, and will win again this year. Liverpool will battle to be best of the rest, that's it.
Because according to the media Liverpool should be expected to mount a title challenge this year.
Which I really don't get because they haven't since Rodgers and they dont look massively improved except for the goalkeeping department. Unless Fabinho comes in and makes them look complete I'm not really as convinced by their supposed superiority.

SER19

In the same way a sprinter looks unstoppable at the 60m mark.

Treble

Klopp's best achievement in the league is 76 pt. And that was pre-Salah.

Basically, City should have a bad year to hit only 85 pts whereas Liverpool should enjoy one of their best PL campaigns ever to win 85 pts. It isn't impossible but they should be lucky with injuries, referee decisions, etc. For all problems that Jose had, he won 81 pts last season despite losing 2 dead rubber games vs WBA and Brighton in the last 3 league games.

AndyJ1985

Unstoppable in terms of us competing with them? Yeah. Unstoppable as in no one being able to beat them? No, because no team is unbeatable. But those two and possibly Chelsea will be in the title fight, and both will go far in the CL.

JSArsenal

Klopp's best achievement in the league is 76 pt. And that was pre-Salah.

Basically, City should have a bad year to hit only 85 pts whereas Liverpool should enjoy one of their best PL campaigns ever to win 85 pts. It isn't impossible but they should be lucky with injuries, referee decisions, etc. For all problems that Jose had, he won 81 pts last season despite losing 2 dead rubber games vs WBA and Brighton in the last 3 league games.
Alan Davies brought up a great point that I never noticed before. If it wasn't for City's freak season, then United would have walked to the league title last season.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
When santa comes their hopes usually fade. Like that year when Steven Gerrard opened his present to find a pair of anti slip football boots only to find out that they were defect. Or the gloves that Karius received as his christmas present last year with the small writing at the bottom of the instructions list.. "do not use these gloves while buttering bread rolls."

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Liverpool? Chelsea look better than liverpool. What is the matter with people and liverpool?