Do we extend Ole's contract?

SaboTaj

Please no.

I wouldn’t even mind it if we replace Ole with a better manager (Allegri? Conte?) in the next few weeks. I hope he has the self-awareness to realise what’s best for the club.

bdspeedy

You make a good point, We should get a proven managerial legend. Maybe LVG or Jose?
Are Ole and his staff good enough to win the Premiership? Is there any chance we will? What about the Champion's league? I'm not Ole out, but something needs to change. I say we will never win ANYTHING with our current ownership and board and it doesn't help that our manager and his staff are learning on the job.

Quinze

Why hurry? I doubt any club other than Molde would want him and he probably doesn't want to leave either.

PoTMS

Today was a clear indicator we will never win anything under Ole. Will we ever get an easier tie than Villarreal in a final in any other competition we play?

Acole9

Outstanding
I like the guy and have supported him through most of his tenure but I don't think he should get a new contract. Sure we finished second in the league but tonight was a big moment and we blew it.

Castia

We either fire him or give him a new deal, you can’t have a manager in the last months of us contract.

BorisManUtd

The fact they didn't offer him extension yet tells me that the board aren't sure what to do and are still waiting. If we go into a new season with his contract expiring next summer then that could cause uncertainty in and around club regarding his position and could have an impact on the team. If he does get new contract this summer then the club is risking paying him money if they have to sack him at some point next season (which I think will happen unfortunately).

Maybe they extend his contract only for a year so until 2023 as some kind of solution.

dave1956

If Ole is given a new contract then a clause must be he recruits a proven coaching staff at European level. He has stated that he does not take the coaching sessions but leaves it to his coaching team. Which is ok but it would appear from certain results and the continuing team's ability to defend dead balls, certainly from to nights game set up that his coaching staff is not up to the level required. Certainly in respect of keeping De Gea on to face a penalty shoot out given his record his staff should have been telling him to sub and put on Henderson. If they did and Ole disregarded that advice then I believe this reflects on Ole' s management experience then perhaps his position with regard to a new contract should be brought into question.

Womp

idiot
We will. We didn't make the decision when it was clear to some he has hit the ceiling in regards to his managerial ability. It's now too late and there isn't many options. I feel we really will come to regret missing out on Nagelsmann.

SAFMUTD

Please dont, we are stucked with a mid level manager will only bring minor happiness. We don't have the strongest squad in europe and having an average manager doesnt help at all. So we either outspend every single team on earth to make up for it or we wont win.

M18Red1

We were a penalty kick away from winning a European trophy tonight. That’s down to the players not Ole.

dave1956

Perhaps a rolling 1 year contract based on clear results, team performance

PoTMS

I wish I had the job security this guy has. Being consistently under par and yet gets away with murder.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Surely you can’t bin a manager that finishes second in the league?

Nevertheless, I’ve always though that he’s not quite good enough for where Man United want to go. Forget the Europa League, this game at elite level is about two trophies and two trophies only. I’ve just never believed that Ole has what it takes to win them.

Giggsyking

Give him a new contract for reaching the europa league final and losing against a mediocre team :D

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
What's the genuine reason to extend his contract? He has already failed but we're acting like he hasn't.

Rob67

Anybody take Conte or Zidane? We need to reset as a club, attract some top class players and start winning trophies again.

Yakuza_devils

If we think finishing 2nd, boring/defensive style of play, no plan B in tactic and poor in game management are good enough for us to renew his contract. Then, Man Utd fans, deserve the last 8 years of shit and more to come.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We should thank him for his job and then send him packing back to Molde

RedDevil@84

No. There is absolutely no hurry. It is not like Ole is getting calls from all around the world. So we can give it time.

Water Melon

Zidane or Conte, either will do. Both have demonstrated that they are much much better managers than Solskjaer. Ole can learn his trade elsewhere, but I am ready to bet he won't get an offer from any of the top European teams. His level is below that.

red thru&thru

This final just went to show the positions that we were lacking in. As a manager, he will know what goes on in training every day. He sees the players and will make a judgement on whether they're ready or not. So we might be being too harsh on Ole, as it does seem his options were limited.

Having said that, I believe he does deserve his last season of his contract to remain in charge. Mainly because they're is no outstanding candidate out there to take over, especially as Naggelsman and Rose have moved to their new clubs.

But it wouldn't be beyond Ed to give a parting shot by giving Ole a six year contract.

jackal&hyde

One year left on Ole's contract. Do we give him till the end of next season and risk unsettling him or do we secure him for a little bit longer in case he turns out alright?
He already did that.

Sack_Moyes

In other news, a certain Real Madrid legend and manager was sacked after a trophyless season. Make that of what you will....

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
His big game management in regards to substitutions and tactics are suspect. But then again our bench is woeful.

I hope he gets the players he needs. I can’t wait to see Sancho next season

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I'd wait and see.

As gutting as it is to lose a final, it still is a one off game and there are loads of other factors at play other than what the manager does.

Still though, losing to a team we should beat 9/10 times is not a good look

InfiniteBoredom

I have been quite firm Ole out since the WHU 1-1 home draw last season, but if we are not replacing him this summer then his contract should be extended for another 12-18 months. Whatever compensation due in the case of a sacking would be less than the cost of a whole season of uncertainty under a coach in the last year of his contract.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My view is the same as it was 12 months ago.

If we are going to back him fully in the transfer market then I have absolutely no issue with him getting a new contract.

If we are not going to back him in the transfer market, then he has come as far as he can and we need a better manager who can squeeze more out of these players.

The bench last night said it all for me. We were in a European Cup final and we needed to bring on new ideas, creativity and goal threats and we had this to choose from:

Henderson
Grant
Maguire
Taunzebe
Williams
Telles
Matic
Van De Beek
Fred
James
Amad
Mata

Not a single striker to come on.

Two attackers, one of which is midtable quality, the other has about 4 starts to his name.

In terms of creativity, we had a player who had barely featured this season or a player who has barely featured this season and whose only claim to “creativity” is how creative he can be with his attempts to hide from the ball.

It’s a young squad with serious talent but we are not going to see the fruits of that talent if we don’t have the means to support and protect it. Rashford should not have been subbed last night, he should have been subbed and rested sufficiently this season for his body to not be so damn broken that he plays like a wounded cheetah, lounging about licking his wounds for 95% of the time before bursting into life when he senses a scrap of blood and then sitting down for the next 10 minutes.

We need:

Sancho
Varane
Rice
Striker (Ings?)

crossy1686

career ending
Zidane or Conte, either will do. Both have demonstrated that they are much much better managers than Solskjaer. Ole can learn his trade elsewhere, but I am ready to bet he won't get an offer from any of the top European teams. His level is below that.
Both have walked away from their clubs because they don't want to rebuild, so we'll just hire them to rebuild United instead?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
His big game management in regards to substitutions and tactics are suspect. But then again our bench is woeful.

I hope he gets the players he needs. I can’t wait to see Sancho next season
We say that every year and yet when Ole gets better players in, he still doesn't change up his starting 11.

It's down to the manager to get the best out of his players and he hasn't done that for the most part.

The Urban Goose

I've been fully supportive of Ole, but after last night I think give him next season and if there's no improvement in his in-game management, then let his contract run out.

DDG in goal, particularly for the penalties.
Pogba in central midfield.
Keeping Rashford on beyond the 60th minute.
Taking off Greenwood, who was the only one on the same wavelength as Cavani.
Bringing James on and not Amad.
Persisting with Lindelof.

Laughable.