Do we need a different type of striker in our squad?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Then don't fecking compare Firmino and Martial. First you say we need Firmino-like instead of Martial and when faced with facts contradicting your shallow assertion, start backtracking

Figure-out what you want and stop attacking our striker for the fun of it
Stop being so hysterical. Nobody is suggesting we replace your beloved Martial or that he is not a credit to the team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In terms of our plan A, I think pretty soon it will be Rashford-Martial-Greenwood as the main front 3. James will be rotating on the wings when necessary, and that's pretty good right there. The problem is we have nobody to change games for us up top. Hard to count Rashford or Greenwood as backup strikers when they'll be starters in the wide positions. So we definitely need a bench/rotation striker to make a group of 5 attackers for those front 3 positions.

Ideally, would want that player to be like a Dzeko. Someone who is excellent technically and at holding up the ball, provides an aerial threat, is focused on scoring goals. Not many of those around, and it's probably better to try and get someone in their late 20's/early 30s to be that option.

Foxbatt

We need a plan B. Every team needs a plan B. Sometimes the plan A doesn't work. Eg. Why City has never won the CL yet. Why Barca lost to Liverpool and why Ajax lost to Spurs.
Fergie used plan B a lot. Teddy drops deep and can head the ball to who ever is leading the line. Ole doesn't drop deep. Yorkie does. It doesn't have to be an Andy Carroll. Or a Crouch.
Fellaini was a good option to get on from the bench. He causes uncertainty in the opposing box and of course in ours too but he is good in the air.
I saw Gary Neville interview with Berba and mentioned how Fergie gets Berba on to defend and also causes problems in the opposing box. Yes he has a brilliant first touch and control and passing but Fergie gets him on for his heading ability too.

Greck

Yes every team could do with diversity. The urgency of that on the agenda list however depends on how high you rate our default plan.

Personally don't rate our Plan A very high if you can call it that and think until we establish a solid template of play we are going to continue doing this thing where we think we need to buy more and more and more personnel because our play is never going to look pretty. For instance we could buy a guy like Halaand and still think something is missing

Bestietom

Probably a big strong CF for plan B when things are not working out. ( Fellaini type)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lukaku had 12 goals in 32 appearances last season for us. He has 14 goals in just 19 games for Inter this season.

Our tactics do not call for a target man.
Firstly you’ve taken a single line completely out of context.

Secondly, that’s highly anecdotal and Lukaku isn’t even a target man, people call him one because of his size but I’ve seen midgets playing Sunday football that were better in the air than him and lepers with a better touch.

Lukaku tries to play a similar game to what our current strikers do and in our system he struggled while Rashford, Martial and even Greenwood are beginning to excel.

Lentwood

We need a strong, physical penalty box striker for home games where teams want to play deep with two banks of five

Just gives us the opportunity to throw a few balls into the box and also keeps the CBs occupied

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Depends if Ole will develop further his tactical options and for now the squad needs clearing out and has very little to choose from when it comes to any tactical flexibility.

I can definitely assume based on Ole's words that he's a fan of Greenwood and will give him chances despite need of bigger firepower, that may easily come if Mason's talent will kick in even further... and the signs are really promising.

If our budget is limited then it will be probably logical to put funds into midfield, right wing and possibly defense first.

Bestietom

Firstly you’ve taken a single line completely out of context.

Secondly, that’s highly anecdotal and Lukaku isn’t even a target man, people call him one because of his size but I’ve seen midgets playing Sunday football that were better in the air than him and lepers with a better touch.

Lukaku tries to play a similar game to what our current strikers do and in our system he struggled while Rashford, Martial and even Greenwood are beginning to excel.
My, you've been around, Midgets and Lepers, what League do they play in then.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Rashford won't work aswell on the left if we play a physical striker upfront like when we had Lukaku upfront.

We will have to play James on the right to cross the ball more & we need more crosses over all possibly a left footed LW aswell for rotation.

I still can't believe that people don't see that when eventually

Rashford - Martial - Greenwood

Line up that Rashford & Greenwood will be our main strikers & not martial.

I'm okay with a plan B coming in - but a plan B cant be better than plan A because they won't interlink with Rashford & Greenwood aswell, Martial to me is one of the best support strikers available on the market.

It's better we get a left footed RW to compete with Greenwood & get an experienced striker who doesn't mind rotating occasionally with Martial.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Stop being so hysterical. Nobody is suggesting we replace your beloved Martial or that he is not a credit to the team.
:D ok, then! But, leave my beloved Martial alone, y'all! :)

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Are you really comparing Firmino to Lingard :lol:

OK, maybe best you leave this one alone now. It's clear you can't see what Firmino brings to the Liverpool side that's running away with the league this year.
I have ton of respect for Firmino :) Lingard is a joke. I was just protesting your attempt to use Firmino for putting Martial down :)

#peace

edcunited1878

United need another center forward, 100%. It's not about Plan A or Plan B. It's about having quality and right now, it's too thin to challenge domestically and any European tournament.

Rashford is a left forward. Let him be. Martial is an all-around center forward. Let him be. They can swap positions as they do at times. Right forward is either James, who operates more as a right midfielder/winger. Greenwood is 18 and usually operates more as a right forward and has played through the middle when United are behind or in Europe.

That's 3 forwards, with more depth (albeit not the best quality) out wide and nothing down the middle.

So United need a center forward. Martial gets injured every year, in addition to fixture congestion. So to say United don't need another center forward/striker is wrong.

Paul_Scholes18

We need to bring in a striker no doubt. Although just having options for counter attacks seem like a style that will never take us that far.
Think we should have kept Lukaku to be honest. Will be hard to replace him unless we spend much more than we sold him for.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We need to bring in a striker no doubt. Although just having options for counter attacks seem like a style that will never take us that far.
Think we should have kept Lukaku to be honest. Will be hard to replace him unless we spend much more than we sold him for.
Lukaku would be worse than Pogba here and wouldn't be happy even spending 8 games a year on the bench.

Thats where the Plan B needs to be emphasised - the plan B can't mess too much with plan A.

RooneyLegend

No we don't. Let's sort out the first plan first and think about all the stuff afterwards. Under a great coach in a well functioning side Martial would be class.

Amerifan

The top two teams in the league don't particularly have a different style of striker to bring in. They bring in a striker than can play in a similar way, in the same formation, with the same tactics...
In the context of this post I would argue Aguerro and Jesus are quite different strikers. Aguerro is often battling in the center while Jesus tends to run wide more often. Neither requires a major shift in play style for the rest of the squad, but if both are fit they offer different approaches. Adding a scrappy striker who can own the center would add a new dimension to our game.

cyril C

We need diversity in our tactics and attacking format first. If all we have is counter-attack option, what is the point having a Plan B striker? No decent striker (except those into 30s) would want to be a 10min player.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We need diversity in our tactics and attacking format first. If all we have is counter-attack option, what is the point having a Plan B striker? No decent striker (except those into 30s) would want to be a 10min player.
It would actually make more sense to buy a +30 year old striker who can play with his back to goal, good in the air, and has a strong character than buying someone who needs loads of games to improve. Unless we're signing absolute top top quality, why would we not keep faith in those we have already?

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I'd say we need someone like Aleksandar Mitrovic as a Plan B.

bit of a thug while all our forwards are softies. great in the air while all our Plan A forwards aren't. He's strong & can hold up the ball pretty well. Finishing is quite tidy too. Mitrovic is also not going to be super expensive, isn't too old/immobile & would relish the chance to play for United I think even if it means starting on the bench most games.