Do we need a modern goalkeeper?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Ronaldoooo!!

Edit: wrong thread.

Jacob

Distribution and command of area, his two biggest weaknesses.

Lentwood

Do we need a GK who doesn't constantly make basic errors, who can leave his goalline to clear a cross/through-ball and who can pass the ball to a teammate?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Doesnt come off his line, he actually needs to be replaced. We 100% need a modern keeper.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I do believe we need a keeper who is more than capable with the ball at his feet and also capable off his line when attempting to command the box or sweep up behind. And I wouldn't say these are modern concepts either because keepers who were utilised as one of the 11 outfield players in the build up phase can be traced back several decades to the 70s.

But having criticised de Gea for his poor command of the box due to being rooted to his line and also being average to below average with the ball at his feet. But another thing I've noticed is that in 1v1 situations with a opposition attacker, de Gea is probably the worst I've ever seen at a top club in that regard. He's absolutely dreadful in such situations and it seems the stats back that up aswell.

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I would worry about getting a modern manager first.

Flytan

The necessity is still below Manager --> CEO --> CM(2) but that game has me worried. I can't believe he didn't move from his line a few times from that game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I do believe we need a keeper who is more than capable with the ball at his feet and also capable off his line when attempting to command the box or sweep up behind. And I wouldn't say these are modern concepts either because keepers who were utilised as one of the 11 outfield players in the build up phase can be traced back several decades to the 70s.

But having criticised de Gea for his poor command of the box due to being rooted to his line and also being average to below average with the ball at his feet. But another thing I've noticed is that in 1v1 situations with a opposition attacker, de Gea is probably the worst I've ever seen at a top club in that regard. He's absolutely dreadful in such situations and it seems the stats back that up aswell.

For anyone interested.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is Rangnick someone who will want a modern day goalkeeper at United?

Apparently he had a history with Neurer, so it gives me hope- already there is links to De Gea and Henderson both leaving for a keeper like Oblak.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We definitely need a new keeper at some point in the near future and modernise the position. Our current keeper isn't good enough and is way too reactive for a team that has aspirations to play a proactive brand of football.

gajender

Apparently he had a history with Neurer, so it gives me hope- already there is links to De Gea and Henderson both leaving for a keeper like Oblak.
What are you on about in what universe Oblak is a modern Keeper

Kaos

He's been quoted as saying that the keeper should not be receiving too many touches of the ball in his ideal system, as he fully expects them to be the most limited footballer on the pitch. So perhaps De Gea's not in as much threat as we thought he'd be in?

gajender

He's been quoted as saying that the keeper should not be receiving too many touches of the ball in his ideal system, as he fully expects them to be the most limited footballer on the pitch. So perhaps De Gea's not in as much threat as we thought he'd be in?
But how do expect to play high line with whole team pressing and squeezing the pitch with your keeper's reluctance to leave his goal line.

Bebestation

What are you on about in what universe Oblak is a modern Keeper
I don't know, don't really watch him much - just there has been links to both De Gea & Henderson leaving whilst being linked to oblak. Thought it was due to rangnick wanting a different type of GK.

lloyd2wayne

Andre Onana and if United were smart they won’t let him go to Inter plus he’s free. He’s only 25 years old, good with feet both passing and saving, good reflexes.

Kaos

But how do expect to play high line with whole team pressing and squeezing the pitch with your keeper's reluctance to leave his goal line.
That naturally remains a concern, but one I imagine wouldn't be difficult to train De Gea to adapt to, even this late in this career. It would have been more of a concern if he expects his team to gradually build up play from the back or for the keeper to be an expected outlet for back passes (something Ragnick has gone on record for saying he doesn't like).

gajender

I don't know, don't really watch him much - just there has been links to both De Gea & Henderson leaving whilst being linked to oblak. Thought it was due to rangnick wanting a different type of GK.
Oblak is a Great keeper but you are missing the point he has never been a Modern Keeper who excels in high line or sweeping .

NewYorkRed

This is just an absurd topic. With DDG in the form he’s in, we don’t need anyone else. Ball playing keepers who can’t save the ball like he does can stay away, thank you very much.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What he probably meant was that the keeper isn't normally the most active player in the transition because the play style is to adopt a high line and pass vertically through the lines. Which does require the keeper to at the very least provide sweeper abilities.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This is just an absurd topic. With DDG in the form he’s in, we don’t need anyone else. Ball playing keepers who can’t save the ball like he does can stay away, thank you very much.
When they appoint you as the head coach, then you can make that decision.

Until then, if the appointment is someone like ten Hag or Adi Hutter, then the keeper must provide the bare minimum and either be utilised as the 11th outfield player or provide sweeper abilities.

lex talionis

Bizarre topic. Schmeichel and Van Der Sar would not be considered “modern goalkeepers”, but are superior to the top keepers, including “modern” keepers, in the game today.

gajender

Bizarre topic. Schmeichel and Van Der Sar would not be considered “modern goalkeepers”, but are superior to the top keepers, including “modern” keepers, in the game today.
Complete nonsense Schmeichel and Van Der Sar would absolutely kill as keepers in today's game and would definitely excel at all the things modern keeper's are suppose to do because they were good at all those skills even back then unlike De Gea who is quite limited in his Skill set.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Vds would still be a modern keeper today. His ability on the ball was good for a keeper.

Schmeichel if he was playing today would likely also be good on the ball because the game expects that from keepers today. But even then, he was proactive and good in 1v1s, along with having a fantastic long throw and a strong command of his area.

NewYorkRed

When they appoint you as the head coach, then you can make that decision.

Until then, if the appointment is someone like ten Hag or Adi Hutter, then the keeper must provide the bare minimum and either be utilised as the 11th outfield player or provide sweeper abilities.
Okay cool, when they appoint me as coach, thats what I’ll do. Until then, we appointed Rangnick, who has literally said the goalie should have the fewest touches because they’re the worst footballers on the pitch, how about you stop with the modern goal keeper stuff. Sound fair?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Okay cool, when they appoint me as coach, thats what I’ll do. Until then, we appointed Rangnick, who has literally said the goalie should have the fewest touches because they’re the worst footballers on the pitch, how about you stop with the modern goal keeper stuff. Sound fair?
It's not just about having technical qualities to pass the ball, high press and high line also need GK who has ability to sweep. If De Gea stays on the line, we will concede shit loads of goals. The gap left by CBs behind should be covered by GK.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You mean the Rangnick who implements a high pressure game style with a high line with the keeper expected to sweep?

But worry not, Rangnick can't do much in 6 months and hopefully the next permanent head coach will do what Enrique has done for Spain and drop him.

Jackal981

Vds would still be a modern keeper today. His ability on the ball was good for a keeper.

Schmeichel if he was playing today would likely also be good on the ball because the game expects that from keepers today. But even then, he was proactive and good in 1v1s, along with having a fantastic long throw and a strong command of his area.
Prime VDS would be the best GK today. He is good enough with the ball. Imo his only weakness is longshot

Bebestation

Just because the goalkeeper should have the fewest touches doesn't exactly mean he should have no touches.

The modern day goalkeepers of Liverpool and City - they don't exactly have the most touches of the football do they?

They will most likely have the least.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just because the goalkeeper should have the fewest touches doesn't exactly mean he should have no touches.

The modern day goalkeepers of Liverpool and City - they don't exactly have the most touches of the football do they?

They will most likely have the least.
The reason he said that was because he was emphasising his point about playing vertically through the lines, rather than pass side ways or backwards to the keeper. A keeper still has to sweep in his (Rangnick) approach to the game, which is similar to how Jurgen Klopp sets up with Allison.

GueRed

De Gea is world class on his line.

Problem is he's always stuck on it.

it would be nice to see him dominate and sweep up in and around the penalty box every now and then. It'll make a huge difference IMO

Pronewbie

Peep

Yup. Great post. He's unsuitable for the modern game. De Gea's alarming dip in form happened when he was asked to become something he wasn't comfortable in. That messed up his game rhythm and confidence.

I'm happy Rangnick is here to finally provide us with a more modern playing system and template on players we should keep and sell on. We're over 10 years late but better late than never. I just hope he and the next manager can offer even more evolution than what we're already seeing at other clubs.

Skills

Snitch
De Gea used to sweep a lot more under Louis Van Gaal.

The low block under Mourinho & then Solskjaer hasn't required him to or it was just trained out of him.

cyril C

Yup. Great post. He's unsuitable for the modern game. De Gea's alarming dip in form happened when he was asked to become something he wasn't comfortable in. That messed up his game rhythm and confidence.

I'm happy Rangnick is here to finally provide us with a more modern playing system and template on players we should keep and sell on. We're over 10 years late but better late than never. I just hope he and the next manager can offer even more evolution than what we're already seeing at other clubs.
Ironically, RR wants Keeper to have the least touch among 11 players.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
But that's not the point against DDG. Yes, Rangnick doesn't like passes back to the keeper, but that does not mean that he likes a keeper to stay on the line all the time.

He is happy to use a keeper that sweeps his area well, which is something DDG doesn't do. So I am not sure if he will be happy with the way he currently plays.

Red Royal

We would benefit from a keeper who can sweep up, DDG is unlikely to be it, Henderson I am still unsure on, so we have 2 very good keepers plus Heaton but we should look to upgrade.

Pronewbie

Peep
I think the point has been made crystal clear earlier that having the least touches doesn't mean your Goalkeeper stays on his line all the time and isn't comfortable on the ball..

IMHO goalkeeping is a role many football fans aren't exactly clued in.. I've felt this way since my goalkeeping days even amongst other amateur / semi-pro outfield players. The most recent example being the Ramsdale "wonder-save".