Do we need an experienced backup striker?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think we do, for chasing game or when Lukaku is in his (big games) period.

We used to have FOUR strikers, rotating for 2 spots. And in our Treble season, we had Solksjaer and Sheringham, who contributed to us winning the Champions League. And those back ups were all seasons pro.

To my surprise, not many see this need when listing those 6 new players thread. Who'd be suitable and available? Discuss.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If we sell Martial we'll need another striker. Otherwise, nah.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Can he be a CF? Become a bully, or brings others into the play?
He's just an option up front.

I'm not sure trying to find a Lukaku clone is the way forward.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I think we do, for chasing game or when Lukaku is in his (big games) period.

We used to have FOUR strikers, rotating for 2 spots. And in our Treble season, we had Solksjaer and Sheringham, who contributed to us winning the Champions League. And those back ups were all seasons pro.

To my surprise, not many see this need when listing those 6 new players thread. Who'd be suitable and available? Discuss.
Lukaku is only 25 give him a chance.

T_Model101

I think we do
Llorente has played 29 games this year for Spurs, primarily as a backup to Kane
But who would you sign?
I think Dzeko would be a brilliant signing.......

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We used to play with 2 strikers back then tho. It's certainly something to discuss because we can only hope that Rashford steps up bigtime next year and then that will definitely be enough, seeing as Sanchez/Martial can play up top too and we will probably bring in a right wing, and maybe a nr. 10 even. That being said, i just looked at the stats for PL and realised Vardy reached 20 goals. He would actually be a great striker to bring on in games we need a goal, even though i still hate his antics. I mean, if he wasn't that expensive it would make sense.

King Eric 7

Yes, I was just thinking about this recently. No-one in the squad is currently good enough to be back up to Lukaku. It would be a big concern if he was unavailable for the Cup final.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Lukaku is only 25 give him a chance.
Of course. He'll still be our main striker. But maybe he need someone to learn from? I thought Ibra would be that, but then he couldn't because of that injury.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's just an option up front.

I'm not sure trying to find a Lukaku clone is the way forward.
If we are chasing trophies, there would be times when they have to play three times in a week. I think we need a ready made striker to step up, who's not in 'still learning his trade'.

I think one of the main reason Madrid is struggling in the league, because they don't have decent backup striker for Benzema. They sold Morata, and maybe thought they could get away with a young player backup.

SirAF

Ageist
I love me an experienced backup striker! I would always sign Mark Viduka on FM before he retired :lol:

AndyJ1985

Definitely. We need that Solskjaer or Sheringham type of striker who can come on and grab a goal. Rashford just doesn't cut it unfortunately.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thought this before. He's the only one I can think of really but I'm not sure he would want to be a 'back-up'.

Definitely need a better replacement for Lukaku's role though.
I don't see why he'd want to stay in Leicester, without any hope of winning stuff anyway. And he'd get better paycheck at United for sure either.

wolvored

A right sided left footed striker like Griezmann would be ideal to play with or without Lukaku. I think Mourinho is looking at Kluivert though according to the press. Dont know if hes an upgrade on Rashford though.

Bwuk

Vardy would outscore Lukaku if given the chance imo. Very under rated.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Vardy would outscore Lukaku if given the chance imo. Very under rated.
Won't be a popular opinion but I agree with you and have felt the same for long while.

And I like Rom, but he isn't a penetrative enough striker to be focal point point of a team looking to win the PL or CL in my opinion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think we do
But who would you sign?
Dzeko would feel he is a better striker than Lukaku in his own right.

predator

Youth NITK
I agree and have been thinking the same for a while. Vardy would be ideal. I think he'd score a fair few for us even though he is a major cnut.

Bwuk

I agree and have been thinking the same for a while. Vardy would be ideal. I think he'd score a fair few for us even though he is a major cnut.
Think we lack that aggression in our side tbh.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Vardy is another who would probably feel he’s at least as good a PL striker as Lukaku right now. Cnut of a player, but he’s been consistently top drawer for a while now.

He’d be perfect for Liverpool tbh.

Sterling Archer

Great question OP

I think we do
But who would you sign?
That number of appearances by Llorente surprises me. I guess I'd expect Rashford to make those appearances but definitely could use another older, wiser head if Martial is leaving. Dzeko is a great shout

Walters_19_MuFc

We had four strikers because we played with two up top.

In Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial and Rashford, we have more than enough cover up top. Even if Martial leaves.

el3mel

Yes. I miss the good old days when we had 3 strikers available for selection. A player like Chicharito won us loads of points from bench, definitely better than sacrificing midfield by throwing Fellaini up top.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
If Lukaku doesn't play you've looked fairly toothless. Ideally you should go for a big signing and rotate him with Lukaku similarly to what City do with Aguero and Jesus but there are bigger problems that need fixing so I doubt that will happen this summer.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd love Vardy, and agree that he would be good competition for Lukaku rather than just playing second fiddle.

dave1956

If we brought for arguments sake Vardy or Keane, then Lukaku would become the reserve striker. For me Lukaku is not the way forward when we play at the higher level of the premier league and certainly not at European level.
Without looking up his goal scoring figures I think he has managed a total of 16 league goals, ( I stand to be corrected on this ) but if this is the case then he is not exactly tearing up tree trunks, it is what I would expect from a middle of the road Premier league striker.
Sir Matt expected at least 20 goals per season from his centre forward, and the two inside forwards, plus around ten from his two wingers in an average season. Not saying they achieved it every season but those were the standards to aim for.
This season we have managed around 68/69 although conceded around 27/28, which is very good, however the goals for in my opinion is poor. For me Lukaku is not the type of player who can create his own goals, but is dependant on others too supply that final pass. What we require given that at this moment in time our mid field and full back/ wingers lack the ability on many occasions to make that decisive pass is a striker(s) who can create their own opportunities.
Perhaps I have been spoilt, having been able to see some of the very best of Utd., players from the 1956 side all the way up to recent teams. Paddy Crerand a wing half of class, saw him play a diagonal ball from right to left a full 70 yards to George who did not have too check his pace to take the ball on his left foot, result a goal. This was not the exceptional pass but the norm. Now we have Young and Valencia if they hit a accurate pass 1 in 10 it is applauded, is it a wonder that our striker(s) have in my opinion such a poor scoring rate.

manunited1919

Martial should be our back up, but hasn’t been given that opportunity. Sanchez is also supposed to be able to play as striker. And we have seen what Rashford can do.

So yes, we need to bring a backup striker. Absolutely.