Do we really need to sign Jadon Sancho to beat Palace?

fastwalker

I am going to cut to the chase here, last season we finished in title winning form and this season we start with one of the worst performances many have seen since last year. Are we seriously saying that a side with Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Wan-Bissaka, Rashford, Maguire, De Gea and Van De Beek cannot beat Crystal Palace unless we buy Jadon Sancho a centre back and a left-sided full back? A total p*** take.

Sancho won't save us. Messi won't even save us. This is first second an last about management capability. It doesn't matter how many resources you have, if you do not know how to use them, they will never be enough.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
we were not match fit. That's it.

/thread

Last edited:

Godfather

Of course not. Ole's not good enough either. But we've been crying out for a good rightwinger for years

luke511

Having a natural winger that can beat a man on the pitch would definitely help.

Idxomer

No, we need a manager who doesn't need to have his strongest XI at their absolute best to get a result against Palace at home.

Losing against Palace and Hodgson two years in a row at home is simply inexcusable.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is the same team that tore up the Prem in 2020 so no, we should not need jadon sancho to comfortably beat Palace, by anywhere near a stretch.

I don't know why AWB or James was prioritized as starters but this experiment of resting players did not work out. One can only assume they were being punished for unprofessional conduct, which is more than fair enough, but god damnit.

No amount of coaching can make Paul Pogba not pass the ball to Palace twice in a row. That is ENTIRELY on Paul. We were woefully let own by individual effort today. I am so dissapointed.

But that being said, I also absolutely hate the start of this season. We've had no pre-season, no real rest for the players, and here we go again.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
No, we need a manager who doesn't need to have his strongest XI at their absolute best to get a result against Palace at home.

Losing against Palace and Hodgson two years in a row at home is simply inexcusable.
Are you genuinely suggesting the players are not at fault for this? What the hell man.

Giggs' right foot

Absolutely not. We should beat this fecking piss, but for the 3rd time in a row at fecking home, we didn't. I was there for the 0-0 game under Mou. It was as dreadful as this today. Today was a good mixture of no match fitness and bad curse.

Siorac

Just to remind people: we won a league title, comfortably, with Tom Cleverley and Jonny Evans starting 18 and 21 Premier League games, respectively.

I don't expect a league title (or even to finish within 15 points of the winners) but surely, getting around 75 points or looking like a half-decent football team against Crystal Palace should be possible even without spending 108m on Sancho.

Asger

Can please someone tell me of all those players that started today are really good enough for a team that has aim to be the best in their league??? I can only see De Gea, Bruno, Martial and Pogba in that squad. The other are either not good enough or overrated. Some of them might be a good squad players but not starting every match.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I am going to cut to the chase here, last season we finished in title winning form and this season we start with one of the worst performances many have seen since last year. Are we seriously saying that a side with Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Wan-Bissaka, Rashford, Maguire, De Gea and Van De Beek cannot beat Crystal Palace unless we buy Jadon Sancho a centre back and a left-sided full back? A total p*** take.

Sancho won't save us. Messi won't even save us. This is first second an last about management capability. It doesn't matter how many resources you have, if you do not know how to use them, they will never be enough.
2 of the players you listed were on the bench, 1 of the others is a keeper. All the others were shit/unfit so yes we did need different players to beat them

Fooza

If we had bought a CB, and Sancho, we would have won it. Team just needed a morale boost of signings, they looked stale.

James just ain't good enough, TFM shouldn't be our back up right back or anywhere near the team, Lindelof ain't good enough. McT again, not good enough.

Same old, same old problems.

Eddy_JukeZ

Can please someone tell me of all those players that started today are really good enough for a team that has aim to be the best in their league??? I can only see De Gea, Bruno, Martial and Pogba in that squad. The other are either not good enough or overrated. Some of them might be a good squad players but not starting every match.
We played Crystal Palace today.

And got played off the pitch.

You don't need world beaters in every position to beat Palace.

fastwalker

No, but it would help playing a world class talent in stead of James.
But we could schooled today at home. The entire team performance was woeful. How would Sancho have prevented that? If we cannot beat Crystal Palace at home with all of our first choice players available to us, what on earth is Jadon Sancho going to do to change that? We are deluded.

Zoo

No. We also don’t need to overreact here.

Delano

We shouldn't need Sancho to beat them... But it'd help greatly. As it is, we lined up with TFM and James on the right which meant Palace could give them the freedom of the pitch and flood the middle and left defensively, knowing there is zero threat on the right.

We are desperate for a proper right winger to make our team far less predictable to defend against.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

/thread
Great comment and spot on.

Expecting professional footballers on millions a year to be fit for the start of the season i.e. their fecking job is completely unrealistic.

BlueHaze

/thread
So that's it then? 3 points already gone and it's as simple as that, they just weren't fit enough? Then what the feck are these lot getting payed millions a month for to just run about being useless and what about the 30 other games we have put up the same disastrous performances under Ole? Were they not fit enough then as well?

Give me a break man.

reddevil702

Board is shit, manager is shit and 50% of the squad is shit. Picking up where we left last season, inconsistent performances and the results are reflecting that.

chris123

The answer is obviously no. But upsets happen in the Premier League, and building a good Top 4 squad reduces the margin of error in fixtures like that.

When you operate with a right-hand side of TFM and Daniel James that significantly reduces that margin of error, it gives a team a strategy for how to beat us, it makes us predictable.

That being said, the entire team was shit so no of course it wouldn't have mattered based on today's performance.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The proof was in the pudding. We clearly do.

Our lack of attacking threat in wide areas makes us easy to defend against. Shaw contributed next to nothing in an attacking sense and it took over an hour for Fosu-Mensah to put in a decent cross. When you compare that to how Alexander-Arnold and Robertson use the ball its sad.

In games like this where the opposition sit in and are compact, we need to use the width of the pitch but all our forwards like to come inside. So there's no one getting in behind. Adding someone who can do that would be great whether its a full back or a winger. We're just too easy to play against and its why we get done by so many bottom half sides.

That and the fact we have a defence that is totally unable to cope with any kind of cross, be it in the air or on the deck.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We don't aim to be the best in the league this season but we are on paper far better than Crystal Palace. And Sancho would have changed nothing, the team wasn't ready physically and tactically.

Idxomer

Are you genuinely suggesting the players are not at fault for this? What the hell man.
No, I argued the opposite.

Not one of them looked at his best today either physically or mentally but that can't be their fault alone when it was so spread throughout the team.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I found it worrying. We looked knackered and uninterested. Pretty bad for an opening game.

Drainy

Football is a game of emotions.

We've had a shit off season. We have had less of a pre-season than everyone, there have been controversies around multiple players and various other covid related or family related reasons why our starting 11 was not as prepared as they should have been.

On top of that there is additional gloom caused by the continued shoddy mismanagement of transfers by senior management. That can affect team morale.

Getting a player like Sancho in would have lifted the atmosphere, I think.

Hamadovich86

No, but he would certainly help. We need a CB,CDM, RW and LB but if I had to choose between getting Sancho or the other three I would want the latter.

Blood Mage

Another Ole Out thread really? I want him gone too but c'mon there are plenty of other threads where you can discuss this.

mu4c_20le

No but he would greatly increase our chances. Mason changed the game when he came on, Jadon would take it up another level.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Great comment and spot on.
Expecting professional footballers on millions a year to be fit for the start of the season i.e. their fecking job is completely unrealistic.
So that's it then? 3 points already gone and it's as simple as that, they just weren't fit enough? Then what the feck are these lot getting payed millions a month for to just run about being useless and what about the 30 other games we have put up the same disastrous performances under Ole? Were they not fit enough then as well?

Give me a break man.
whether is acceptable or good enough, there are reasons why we were not match fit, but that doesn’t change the fact.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We played Crystal Palace today.

And got played off the pitch.

You don't need world beaters in every position to beat Palace.
You didn't get played off the park, you made 3 fecking clangers and got beat, its football. Its a gross over reaction, more of the ball etc, etc. Its just how football runs sometimes. That game wasnt won on technical ability, you lost mentally. Im actually defending United here :lol: .

Pav1878

No. We also don’t need to overreact here.
Don't think it's an overreaction to want a better performance than what we got.

It's simply not good enough.

Fans have the right to expect more.

mu4c_20le

You didn't get played off the park, you made 3 fecking clangers and got beat, its football. Its a gross over reaction, more of the ball etc, etc. Its just how football runs sometimes. That game wasnt won on technical ability, you lost mentally. Im actually defending United here :lol: .
fecks sake :lol: some of our fans have truly lost it. 'played off the pitch'

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Of course you are. I'd be defending Mourinho if Tottenham came close to sacking him because we don't need another top 4 rival.

BlueHaze

whether is acceptable or good enough doesn’t change that fact.
But you still didn't answer me. What about all the other games we've played under him exactly the same as today wether it be mid season or close to the end? Are those just a fitness issue as well? There are far too many performances like this under Ole and to just blame it on something as simple as fitness is just a way to deny the truth and facts.

Maureen-yo

Martial is definitely good enough just doesn’t get any decent service from Rashford or, in today’s case, James.