Do we still need to finish fourth to qualify for CL?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If City are banned, can we qualify if we finish fifth?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Fifth place gets CL qualification, assuming the ban for next season isn't overturned.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If Manchester City finish in the top four and their ban is upheld by CAS, it would mean a Champions League place would go to the team who finish fifth in the Premier League.

UEFA rule 4.08 states: "A club which is not admitted to the competition is replaced by the next best-placed club in the top domestic championship of the same association, provided the new club fulfils the admission criteria. In this case, the access list (see Annex A) is adjusted accordingly."

KekiZeki

No. City are eliminated, which means the next best team in the league gets it. 5'th is enough. Why doubt it?

James Ward

Be lucky to finish eight where we are at the moment with Ole in charge, never mind fifth.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Depends on their appeal, surely? I think it’s more likely that at best, it’s pushed back a season and 5th spot next season and the following season gets if.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
5th place would get CL if the ban holds. Happened to Milan last season essentially.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Mourinho gets his 2 million pay check or Ole saves his job ? Where can I start placing bet?

Hard to decide. Ole is a lucky man, but Mourinho is more experienced.

Could you imagine Sheffield, Wolves or Everton in the champions league? :lol:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Rather than rely on other teams to get banned, we should focus on making ourselves good enough to make top 4 on merit.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
We will probably take our foot off the none existent gas pedal now and finish even further down than before

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Even if it doesn't help us this season - if this ban holds, it could help us alot next season.

wolvored

We will finish 6th on g/d and lose the Europa final in the 94th minute. I wish we could be this good

cyberman

Depends on their appeal, surely? I think it’s more likely that at best, it’s pushed back a season and 5th spot next season and the following season gets if.
Why would it be pushed back? 7 months before next CL starts.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why would it be pushed back? 7 months before next CL starts.
Because they will slow walk it to ensure they are in next years competition at a minimum.

DBT85

Ole gets 6th on 55 points and a 40% win ratio and gets CL football.

Because.

Mou takes Spurs to the Final and wins but finishes 7th.

Mou once again helping United out and dooming us at the same time.

cyberman

Because they will slow walk it to ensure they are in next years competition at a minimum.
But im sure theres deadlines for appeals? Even transfer bans only got an extra few months to regroup.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Get behind the team FFS. This is good news if it turns out to be true

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This will probably end up being more disappointing than normal, when we finish 6th or 7th having squandered opportunities aplenty. That being said, I think we'll beat Chelsea on Monday.

Roboc7

Very little chance of this being enforced in time for City to be banned from competition next season.

DevilRed

Ole's luck finally changing? Is this the type of divine intervention that keeps him in the job by allowing him to qualify for the CL as a 5th placed team?

cyberman

Ole's luck finally changing? Is this the type of divine intervention that keeps him in the job by allowing him to qualify for the CL as a 5th placed team?
England are guarenteed 4 spots under the new CL rules, its why we dont play qualifiers anymore. Im surpirsed this isnt more obvious to these journos

cyril C

As usual, appeal only reduce, not wipe out. So at best they can reduce the ban down to 1 season. This is not the worst part, worst part is that some of the invisible revenue, such as the glorified stadium naming right, will need to be revisited. This means City will stand to lose 20-30m a season on top of missing CL revenue. They probably need to sell Sterling just to survive season 1, let alone rebuilding for the future.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
The League finishes with United in 5th, Chelsea and Tottenham equal 6th(equal points/wins/goal difference/h2h), Chelsea are only listed 6th in the final League table on alphabetic order, United then win the Europa League freeing up 5th place, what happens then, do they have a play-off, or should UEFA do the honourable thing and let United decide which of the two clubs takes our place?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes we need to finish 4th. This will be appealed and the ban won't be effective until season 2021-22 (if it does actually happen).

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Yes we need to finish 4th. This will be appealed and the ban won't be effective until season 2021-22 (if it does actually happen).
Not so sure about that, it's their competition and if they don't want a club in it no amount of appealing from City will change that - and SkySports didn't do City any favours last night by saying City have got better Lawyers than UEFA, and that UEFA know that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not so sure about that, it's their competition and if they don't want a club in it no amount of appealing from City will change that - and SkySports didn't do City any favours last night by saying City have got better Lawyers than UEFA, and that UEFA know that.
Appealing can change that. It's why an appeal process exists. At the very least it will be deferred (also why an appellate process exists), so I don't see it impacting next year's CL. Would be very surprised if that happens.

croadyman

Really hope we don't start thinking 5th place equals champions league,should only go all in for europa once we are mathematically out of the race for top four.