Do you believe Ronaldo is finished as a top level player?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
80% of posters on a United forum think Ronaldo is finished at the top level. Isn’t it a little more likely that rather than all of those people being haters, they are just reporting something they are seeing with their eyes? They may be end up being wrong, but numbers don’t lie and your opinion is in the overwhelming minority.
not sure where you get your figures from (possibly the same place as Tory MPs) but while I have to admit Ronaldo is nowhere near what he used to be, that hardly equates to "finished". As I recall, "remainers" were in the minority - hasn't made them wrong. and frankly being in the minority doesn't mean wrong, it means having a different opinion.

Also, "numbers don't lie" doesn't quite fit with "they may end up to be wrong". You almost make my point or me: let's wait and see. Yes, he has started badly but I don't think he's a natural no.9. if the question was "is ronaldo the right man to play at centre forward?" you'd get a resounding "no" from me.

What I don't understand is how people here can turn against a guy who in the past was nothing but outstanding for the club. Is it because they believed the rumours about him almost joining City? I don't think that was ever going to happen.... but it would have been interesting to see how he would have got on there...

The One and Only

What I don't understand is how people here can turn against a guy who in the past was nothing but outstanding for the club. Is it because they believed the rumours about him almost joining City? I don't think that was ever going to happen.... but it would have been interesting to see how he would have got on there...
Are you serious? This is a guy who left us just before he peaked and gave his best years to Madrid.

And just one season after returning, he kicked up a fuss for 2 months, missed pre season and only stayed because no decent team wanted him.

You really don't understand why most United fans care more about the team's fortunes than Ronaldo's personal ambitions?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Are you serious? This is a guy who left us just before he peaked and gave his best years to Madrid.

And just one season after returning, he kicked up a fuss for 2 months, missed pre season and only stayed because no decent team wanted him.

You really don't understand why most United fans care more about the team's fortunes than Ronaldo's personal ambitions?
Dont bother with fanbois, they see him as a legend although he left us not in a nice way. He is a Madrid legend but his fans try to neglect that.
He is done at top level, and should have never brought back

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
but the question is: is he finished? which, for me, has the answer "no" . and my comment was in response to being branded a member of a cult... who is out of whose mind?
He's gonna have bad games and he's gonna have decent games is that worth 500k a week? He's going to get progressively worse. It's insane how some of you still support him after his stunt in the summer

dks17

He's gonna have bad games and he's gonna have decent games is that worth 500k a week? He's going to get progressively worse. It's insane how some of you still support him after his stunt in the summer
thats the point isn't it? they are less 'manchester united fan' and more so 'a ronaldo fan'. its the americanisation of things, people choosing to be fans of individual players as opposed to clubs theselves

Luka Mora

Yeah how can we not love this

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Agreed. Pirlo, Ole, Rangnick and ETH all misused him after Real were OK with letting him go? Maybe a 37 year old being too old for elite level is more likely.
I think Pirlo, Ole, Rangnick has all misused not only him, but majority of squad players they have in their team.

Shai-Hulud

Hahahahaha

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yeah how can we not love this

wow... you should apply to be Liz Truss's spin doctor - if you think he's laughing, well. I don't know what it makes you. He's clearly amazed at how shite our defence was - and he was right to be so

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
so now we are going to turn against anyone who's ever left/wanted to leave? and what the hell does his salary have to do with anything? it's always the last thing people fall back on here when they haven't got a decent argument. I don't give a toss what they pay him - or anyone else. It's not my money and it's not yours. And if you feel it is relevant, than maybe give it more than a few games. bit on your logic, we need to get rid of DDG and a few others too...

Luka Mora

wow... you should apply to be Liz Truss's spin doctor - if you think he's laughing, well. I don't know what it makes you. He's clearly amazed at how shite our defence was - and he was right to be so
Maybe he should have been amazed how shit he was in that game as he was arguably one of our worst players on the pitch that day and could have easily been sent off, so instead of grinning like a cheshire cat in bemusement at the result to try and act like he did his job and others failed him when in reality, he should have been hanging in his head in shame for the disgraceful performance he put in or at least had given Ralf permission to substitute him after the 60 min mark when it was clear he was being a liability.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
so now we are going to turn against anyone who's ever left/wanted to leave? and what the hell does his salary have to do with anything? it's always the last thing people fall back on here when they haven't got a decent argument. I don't give a toss what they pay him - or anyone else. It's not my money and it's not yours. And if you feel it is relevant, than maybe give it more than a few games. bit on your logic, we need to get rid of DDG and a few others too...
Definitely if they refuse to turn up for pre-season. He's genuinely been our worst attacker this season and I'm including even the likes of Elanga here. Hell, Martial did more in a 45 minute appearance than Ronaldo did all season. He's been one of the greatest players ever but he's definitely past it now.

For someone who tried to force his way out of the club twice and spent his best years elsewhere, he gets away with a lot.
Contrast that to the likes of Rooney who wanted to leave but never ever kicked up a fuss by not turning up for training or pre-season and also not acting like a prima donna overall (refer videos @Luka Mora posted above) and you can see why some fans have turned on him and don't want to sing viva Ronaldo as he strolls about the pitch losing the ball for 90 minutes.

Strootman's Finger

What fuss did Ronaldo kick up? Find me the quotes where he is complaining about the club, where he is asking for a move, where he has said anything negative whatsoever towards the club. Please show me this fuss.

Strootman's Finger

Agreed. Pirlo, Ole, Rangnick and ETH all misused him after Real were OK with letting him go? Maybe a 37 year old being too old for elite level is more likely.
Ronaldo scored a lot of goals, in the worst United side I have ever seen, while playing for Rangnick. So how did Rangnick misuse him?

Ted Lasso

What fuss did Ronaldo kick up? Find me the quotes where he is complaining about the club, where he is asking for a move, where he has said anything negative whatsoever towards the club. Please show me this fuss.
Don't bother engaging. You'll never convince them of anything. It's too easy to live with blind anger hate and blame.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But Ten Hag will need to play the tactics Ole did to be our main attacking threat.
Yes, exactly.

If the definition of "not finished at the top level" is: "can still score a reasonable amount of goals if the team is set up to maximize his chances of doing so"...then, sure, he may not be finished.

But nobody * wants that. Not with this team. Doing so is clearly not a good idea. It would be a repeat of last season.

* Well, nobody apart from his most insane fanboys.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You don't seriously believe that he didn't want out this window?

Of course having a high-profile (that's a bit of an understatement) player actively trying to secure a move away from United (missing pre-season as a result of this) constitutes kicking up a fuss.

As for him being positively "toxic" as a team member (in terms of his personal relationship with his team mates and his coaches), you could say there's much less evidence for that. But the "fuss" was very real and obviously an unwelcome thing for ETH.

Herman Toothrot

Mind-boggling.

I think the importance of pre-season is a little overstated, but either way, it's not an excuse. It's on him and I wouldn't lean in too far on my hero's lack of professionalism in their 20th season. If we're being super generous, he'd been through some trauma in the previous months, though that's hardly unique to Ronaldo and is something players and indeed, normal people go through without adding an additional month off to their summer break. So while we can be a little empathetic, it's harder to stretch that to hugs and kisses given he spent this time whoring himself out to uninterested suitors. If you don't think this happened and think every journalist made this up, you need your head feeling.

Ronaldo saw us as willing and able to pay the huge wages while giving him Champions League football. When it didn't go well he checked out. He should have gone to City, this is up there with the very biggest transfer errors in the club's history. That said, we're stuck with him until at least January and I hope he can bag us 10 goals this season. He's nearly 38, I wouldn't be surprised if he sleeps with the One Ring under his pillow, it's incredible to still be playing at that age. However, just because you were once one of the greatest players in the world, it doesn't mean you always will be.

To focus the team around Ronaldo last season was a poor decision, to not learn from that mistake would be suicidal.

mu4c_20le

People still support Dean Henderson so...

Tyrion

Ronaldo scored a lot of goals, in the worst United side I have ever seen, while playing for Rangnick. So how did Rangnick misuse him?
I don't think he misused him. I think that's an excuse for Ronaldo. The last few years have shown that when Ronaldo shows up at a team, he scores goals but the whole team suffers because it has to compensate for him.

pogbasformerbarber

The overreaction on this topic is kind of hilarious to me. He has missed some very makable shots early in the season. But he also was late to training (which may or may not have been partly due to a pretty serious personal situation) and needs some time to get properly fit (hes older after all). These are excuses, because I agree hes not been good enough, but they're reasons.

His positioning has not nearly been as bad as people make it out to be...because as mentioned...hes had the opportunities. Its not like hes been invisible. Hes just been clumsy in his finishing and fairly awful in possession. So overall hes not been great...no argument here.

But...theres been some clear games where hes come on and the attack has seemed to improve. So this idea that hes a liability just doest hold water IMHO.

Boiled down...his issues have been sloppy possession and finishing. Thats what my eyes see. If there were two things a 37 year old Ronaldo could clean up and improve upon as the season went on it would be these two. So i'm not anywhere near panic mode yet. If he can't then he's truly finished.

Strootman's Finger

You don't seriously believe that he didn't want out this window?

Of course having a high-profile (that's a bit of an understatement) player actively trying to secure a move away from United (missing pre-season as a result of this) constitutes kicking up a fuss.

As for him being positively "toxic" as a team member (in terms of his personal relationship with his team mates and his coaches), you could say there's much less evidence for that. But the "fuss" was very real and obviously an unwelcome thing for ETH.
I know he wanted out, but it was handled through his agent, in the background. He never once made a public comment, he never once made a public fuss. We heard through the press, from the known leakers, that he was causing trouble in the dressing room, but every video/picture coming out of the training ground told a different story. Maybe Shaw and Maguire don't like him, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for any of the players actually contributing to the team this season.

Ted Lasso

How does a United fan hate Ronaldo? Bizzarro world.
Misdirected anger, abandonment issues. Not sure exactly. But it's easier for them to feel like United wouldn't be in the state it is now if he stayed rather than to apportion blame on the Glazers and the management post Sir Alex. The animosity did not exist at it's present level in the years immediately following his departure.

Spoony

The People's President
Misdirected anger, abandonment issues. Not sure exactly. But it's easier for them to feel like United wouldn't be in the state it is now if he stayed rather than to apportion blame on the Glazers and the management post Sir Alex. The animosity did not exist at it's present level in the years immediately following his departure.
:lol:

b82REZ

Tyrion

I don't think that's what it is. He was popular in the years after he first left. People mostly just think he isn't good for the team right now and, based on the results, he isn't.

Luka Mora

You forget to mention ALL those who speak against Christiano Ronaldo are struggling with daddy issues, people who forgot to clean their rooms, CTE, Co-dependency and Toxic Femininity

Last edited:

Abraxas

Perhaps, just perhaps..he's disliked because he spent the whole summer trying to leave after signing up to a deal that says he'd be here for 2 years. That's not 5, 6 or 7 years. It's two. A fairly easy commitment to keep, you would have thought. Especially after blagging about coming home and all that stuff.

The summer was an embarrassing and unprofessional sideshow on his behalf. Trying to drum up interest from literally anywhere while failing to fulfil his obligations to us. It certainly didn't do us any favours as we had to keep an eye on his situation.

As usual with him, he's a gigantic ego and it's always about him. Which obviously we knew. But to act that way after one year was poor. Of course he's lost some goodwill. I don't think it extends to hate, he's just lost a lot of admiration, and maybe is disliked by some.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You forget to mention ALL those who speak against Christiano Ronaldo are struggling with daddy issues, people who forgot to clean their rooms, CTE, Co-dependency and Toxic Femininity

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Is 700 people (800+ now) below the minimum number of voters that allows us to refer to these polls or what's your problem with it?
well, most surveys are required to have a minimum of (I think it's) 2,000 to be taken seriously

Zlaatan

Parody Account
well, most surveys are required to have a minimum of (I think it's) 2,000 to be taken seriously
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

In case you're not, I'm sure that minimum number of 2000 is true for some survey somewhere but it obviously doesn't apply to most surveys since that wouldn't make any sense. More importantly though it obviously doesn't apply to a poll on the Caf.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't think he misused him. I think that's an excuse for Ronaldo. The last few years have shown that when Ronaldo shows up at a team, he scores goals but the whole team suffers because it has to compensate for him.
Are you also counting his time as Juventus player too? Because it’s clear over a year without Ronaldo, Juventus are performing even worst than ever.

MrBest

People get proper emotional, the season is a few games in. He had no pre season because of personal issues, a new manager who rightly so, only wants to play his way. There is an adjust period, even our other players are taking time adjust, apart from a few, most players have shown a little improvement and still a long way to go to erase last seasons memories. Hevwant to leave in the summer, do you blame him? Last season we were a mess, he's a legendary player, he demands high results and last season we played worse than Sunday league at times. He is also 37, he career is closing, I dont blame him for wanting to leave. Despite paper talk, he has been professional, put his heart on the line to win. Its not working out for him right now, he looks off the pace, but i wouldnt judge him jist 8 games into a 50 plus game season. For those complaining about why we bought him, becareful what you wish for, if it was not for him and possibly de gea, who knows where we would have finished. 18 goals in 30 league games and 6 goals in 7 champion league games and above all amongst a squad that was literally trash and led by a buffoon.