Gaming Do you buy physical or digital copies of games?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Doesn't explain why they often cost more than in a shop though, other than counting people who can't be arsed going to it, which is very likely the case but pretty unreasonable in my opinion.
Answer is simple: Xbox Live & PlayStation Network don't have to compete with anyone, as their storefronts are monopolies on each console. Retailers have to compete with each other, and they all want that small cut of the sale, so they'll try to undercut/out-do each other.

I'd definitely stick to physical if I were a console gamer right now - Especially on the Switch. I know there's I've bought on PSN/XBL more than 10 years ago that are still there, but with how bad Nintendo's track record is with account systems, even if the Switch is supposedly better, I'll not be buying any digital copies when I finally get one (unless no physical option is available).

ChaddyP

I live in jamaica. easier and quicker to download games. I use Steam for PC games and always download games on my switch and PC. maybe if i lived in the USA or UK where i can get hardcopies sent to my door i would do that

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I don't have a disk drive on my pc or laptop. So digital it is.

Disks are obsolete.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Answer is simple: Xbox Live & PlayStation Network don't have to compete with anyone, as their storefronts are monopolies on each console. Retailers have to compete with each other, and they all want that small cut of the sale, so they'll try to undercut/out-do each other.
Not sure about that. They're competing with 1) Digi sellers like CD Keys and 2) real shops still. They've definitely lost my money because of charging more than both of these things. It's not much different to saying that Tesco have a monopoly on their game aisle and you're already there so they can charge £60 for a game that's £40 somewhere else.

Ainu

I rarely buy physical anymore, just don't see the point. I've got a PS4 Pro so 1TB of HDD, which is plenty. Good internet connection and no data cap so I delete and re-download frequently. Yeah they're expensive at launch but the vast majority of my purchases are games in pretty deep sale, and there are plenty of sales on the PS Store. I don't really miss that I can't sell them on, as I like to hold on to all of my games anyway. Having my entire collection on physical would be an immense waste of space.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Both.
Games I might want to play again that is console-exclusive I buy physical. Rest I get digitally on PC.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
One other benefit of buying digital is that you can share games between systems (PS4). This way any games I buy can be played by both myself on my PS4 and my kids on theirs.

This is in addition to the other benefits of pre-loading the game ahead of release, and then not having to change discs to play different games.

Roger

Both but mainly digital. I never buy digital on release dates (far too expensive). I usually wait a few weeks and inveriably the game gets a pretty decent discount. The last physical copy I bought was Spiderman for the PS4 in Argos because there was about 50% off. As for my Nintendo Switch thats mainly physical due to storage capacity.

Kapardin

Digital. I play PC games and use Steam. I find buying physical copies cumbersome and perhaps obsolete, but that's just me, I know many people dig it.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not surprising, can't remember the last time I went to a game shop, everything is more convenient and cheaper online.

Bojan11

Seems like GameStop in the US are making a lot of cuts to their businesses. I don’t see them surviving till next gen. If MS or Sony do a trade in for used games that will kill them off for good.

Other store retailers in the US are cutting down on games.

In the UK, we got GAME surviving just somehow. I am now just going all digital. I keep all my games and don’t think I’d be bothering with physical anymore.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I rarely buy physical anymore, just don't see the point. I've got a PS4 Pro so 1TB of HDD, which is plenty. Good internet connection and no data cap so I delete and re-download frequently. Yeah they're expensive at launch but the vast majority of my purchases are games in pretty deep sale, and there are plenty of sales on the PS Store. I don't really miss that I can't sell them on, as I like to hold on to all of my games anyway. Having my entire collection on physical would be an immense waste of space.
I buy physical copies so I can sell them on after a month. The online discounted prices still end up being more expensive.

lawliet354

One other benefit of buying digital is that you can share games between systems (PS4). This way any games I buy can be played by both myself on my PS4 and my kids on theirs.

This is in addition to the other benefits of pre-loading the game ahead of release, and then not having to change discs to play different games.
Wait, I didn't know it works like this. So if I have 2 PS4 that both use the same account, then I can play the digital game that I bought on both console even though I'm buying the game only on 1 console?

Digital. I play PC games and use Steam. I find buying physical copies cumbersome and perhaps obsolete, but that's just me, I know many people dig it.
I buy physical so I can put the disc case on my shelves for collecting purpose and I can lend it to my brother or friend as well. But having to swap disc every time I want to change game is really really bothersome, especially after experiencing how convenient digital game is

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Wait, I didn't know it works like this. So if I have 2 PS4 that both use the same account, then I can play the digital game that I bought on both console even though I'm buying the game only on 1 console?
They can use different accounts. So I am signed into my PS4, and my son is signed into his. The key is that he has my PS4 setup as his primary one. So I buy games on his account (which is linked to my credit card). Then we can both play the games on our separate accounts.

AaronRedDevil

I buy physical everytime. Only few games I buy digitally are fifa and if theres a really good sale on.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Mostly digital, but exceptions are made if the physical version is more than just a DVD in a plastic case. (-> CDPR games. TW2, TW3, Cyberpunk)

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Digital, Digital
I wanna get Digital
Let's get into Digital
Let me hear your conference call

I made that up for work. I don't feel like it got the appreciation it deserved.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I gameshare with a mate on xbox so we buy off the store and split the cost

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Movies and games: always digital.

Especially games which belong in a hard-drive, not a shelf.

Steam is the greatest thing ever since the actual Internet.

izec

Usually digital. But sometimes physical. Depends on the type of game and if i want to keep the game for larger periods and how the online modus is. Games with a lasting fun factor and nice online modus i usually buy digital, because i enjoy them for longer periods.

Marcelinho87

I am PC so strictly digital....

When I had xbox it was pretty much 90% digital also due to gamesharing.

Robertd0803

For games I really want Ive gotten the physical copies because I prefer having it in person. I've a few games I got digitally just because a) couldnt get the physical copy or b) it was super cheap in the PS store.

WensleyMU

I own two games on disc, both bought in the past year. Spiderman and RDR2. Everything else is digital.

I might grab God of War on disc in the near future, and beyond that, GTA6 will be a disc purchase if it releases on PS4/5 before PC. It will be digital on PC.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Discs, they’re often cheaper on release.!

Once we start buying the ‘special edition’ digital versions for £80 as standard we screwed!

No resale value either. I only buy digital copies of things on sale or old and cheap.

WensleyMU

Discs, they’re often cheaper on release.!

Once we start buying the ‘special edition’ digital versions for £80 as standard we screwed!

No resale value either. I only buy digital copies of things on sale or old and cheap.
Digital is best when it's free. A good portion of my game collection, on PC and console cost me nothing thanks to numerous giveaways and subscriptions.

I don't think I have ever bought a digital copy at full price, it's just throwing money away.

EvilChuck

Digital unless its a big release and physical is a souvenir to me. I dont care for fifa as a disc for example, but Zelda is a physical copy for sure

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I cant relate to gaming on a console.

PC all the way! which means digital downloads. I haven't used a disk for a decade now.

Chipper

Adulterer.
PC here too so digital almost all the way, although I don't buy much at all these days.

Going back 3 or 4 years I was a bit of a games collector on Steam. Vast majority digital although I would still occasionally seek out physical copies of games that came with a Steam key where the game was no longer available on the Steam Store itself. That was really rare though.

Never bought new releases but would wait for sales, and there's the other key stores plus all the bundle sites like Humble Bundle. Would buy every bundle they sold, the same on Bundle Stars (now Fanatical), Indie Gala, Groupees and a few other sites that would come and go. Would trade spare keys and give lots away too on Steamgifts. I have/had multiple steam accounts too for farming trading cards that they dropped and a had a little bot thing running them all. Still sitting on quite a few unused keys now that I should get round to doing something with.

It was an addiction that I'm glad I've now dropped. I'm subbed to Humble Monthly now and that's it.

Also got some games on GoG, Origin and Uplay.

Bojan11

Since last year, I have gone all digital. Replaced all my discs of the games that I haven’t played with the digital versions. Cost me a bit, but I sold all my discs so wasn’t that much in the negative and waited for sales for certain titles.

Anyway

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I buy digital mostly. I’m too lazy to change disks and shit.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wonder how many of those are at release though?

the PSN prices are always almost £10 more than retail prices in shops. You can also then sell game back when you're done with it, so it's a lot cheaper in the long run.

If they manage to make the digital price fairer, i'd download a lot more often.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Physical. So I can sell them later