Do you have a second ‘local team’?

El-Manos

I like Dortmund and my girlfriend is from there but I only support united. Been to the Dortmund stadium twice already though.

VesRiddle

I don't have a second team, but I always hope that Nordic teams would go far in CL and EL. For example, Malmö FF in CL or HJK Helsinki EL a few seasons ago was interesting to follow.

Stevondo8

I went to uni in Leicester so consider them a bit of a second team - it basically only means if they win a game there's a modicum of joy about it, rather than the indifference that a win for most other club brings.

Proudo

West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC. Lovely lefties drinking german beer and singing about quinoa.

Moriarty

Yep, Kim Book it was, I remember one of the goals, when Best shimmied his hips as he went through on goal, and Kim Book dived, Best just took the ball to the line and flicked it home. He looked a bit fed up by then did Besty, so it must have been one of the later goals.
I think he said later that he thought about stopping the ball on the line, lying down, and heading it in.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Pederi sa zapada. :D:lol:

I was at east stand, at least I think. :)
Was on the east as well, 14y old with dad, uncle, their friend and uncles kid (he was 6 at the time). Also cheered a bit when Beckham scored but was angry about Tokics deflection when Keane scored.
Remember whole stadium screaming Zuti Zuti since Prosinecki was on the bench with back problems. He gets in the game late on and scores of course, Maksimir erupted but it was too late. Alongside Zvezda in Maksimir when I was 5, my favorite match ever.

Ban

Was on the east as well, 14y old with dad, uncle, their friend and uncles kid (he was 6 at the time). Also cheered a bit when Beckham scored but was angry about Tokics deflection when Keane scored.
Remember whole stadium screaming Zuti Zuti since Prosinecki was on the bench with back problems. He gets in the game late on and scores of course, Maksimir erupted but it was too late. Alongside Zvezda in Maksimir when I was 5, my favorite match ever.
I remember now, we were on our way out but heard and saw the commotion, got back and saw Robi scoring a consolation goal. Still can't believe I watched the treble team a year after we won it all. :)

LittleP14

I am a season ticket holder at Solihull Moors (my local side). I have fallen out of love with premier league football ever since the oil money came here, and the fact that United is being run as a business rather than a football club. I used to get to Old Trafford atleast 5 or so times a season but havent done that now for a good 3/4 years.

Id rather plough my money into a local team until the current ownership of the club changes. I still care about the club though, and get excited about games, but I only watch on the TV. I suppose my Sky and BT subs are still funding the club!

If Solihull ended up playing Man Utd id be torn, partly because my local club would make a huge deal of money out of the fixture, and also the progression into the FA Cup next round (its the only way it could happen), which could go on to improve the facilities at the club!

Reactions: jojojo

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Ah! I'm sure you've heard about it though. United were favourites to go to the final but lost 0-2 in Belgrade in the first leg. We didn't have George Best for the second leg and only managed a 1-0 win.
Yes, of course, the best European campaign in Partizan's history.

Full bodied red

Ah! I'm sure you've heard about it though. United were favourites to go to the final but lost 0-2 in Belgrade in the first leg. We didn't have George Best for the second leg and only managed a 1-0 win.

Early second half, already 1-0 down and Denis missed a header when it seemed easier to score - inside the little box, only the keeper to beat and he hit the bar or put it over, can't remember which, but almost the worst miss of his career in perhaps the biggest match of his career as he was injured for Wembley '68.

Moriarty

Early second half, already 1-0 down and Denis missed a header when it seemed easier to score - inside the little box, only the keeper to beat and he hit the bar or put it over, can't remember which, but almost the worst miss of his career in perhaps the biggest match of his career as he was injured for Wembley '68.
After Benfica, we were sure we'd be in the final. I remember Nobby scoring our only goal late in the second half in the home leg but, all in all, it was pretty deflating.

Ace Krampus

Columbus Crew.

Redbulls are a New Jersey team with no connections to New York. NYCFC... Not supporting a City surrogate. And I'm definitely not supporting a Boston team.
I mean, the Red Bulls have the name, the fans, the legacy (they were already the cumbersomely named NY/NJ Metrostars and have been a New York team for nearly 25 years at this point). That would be like being a Buffalo Bills fan because the Jets & Giants play in Jersey. I get it, but logistics are what they are. Personally I'm happy there isn't an NFL or "soccer-specific" stadium shoehorned somewhere onto Manhattan, like when they were discussing that white elephant of a stadium where Hudson Yards is now.

Moriarty

I mean, the Red Bulls have the name, the fans, the legacy (they were already the cumbersomely named NY/NJ Metrostars and have been a New York team for nearly 25 years at this point). That would be like being a Buffalo Bills fan because the Jets & Giants play in Jersey. I get it, but logistics are what they are. Personally I'm happy there isn't an NFL or "soccer-specific" stadium shoehorned somewhere onto Manhattan, like when they were discussing that white elephant of a stadium where Hudson Yards is now.
The Cigarette Smoking Man made sure the Bills never won a Super Bowl.

SiRed

The under 9s i coach and yes..... if we played united, i would want us to floor them. In fact i get more joy from our wins than uniteds already.

Halftrack

and my adopted team is Tromsø.
Ouch, that's rough. I struggle to support them, and I'm from here. I mean, I like them and want them to do well, but they've been horrendously shit for almost 7 years, so I've kind of just given up on them ever doing anything of note again.

ZupZup

Gloucester City because it’s where I grew up. I still go and watch them now and then, but they’ve been forced to ground share miles away for over 10 years since the last one flooded in 2007... which doesn’t help attendances or attract new fans. Pic below shows how bad it was.

They’ve been moved to the Conference North now having played in the South last season. It’s good for me because I can hopefully go and watch them when they play away at Altrincham and Curzon Ashton.

It’s unlikely they’d play United but I’d always want United to win.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
But it feels different with the Giants and Jets who feel like NY teams, and are embedded into the sport culture of the city (media, fandom, even bars). I don't get that vibe with the Red Bulls. Same with NYCFC, but at least they're currently up in Yankee Stadium, and with time may draw a Bronx/Uptown crowd.

I think MLS teams are realizing they need to be embedded in the cities they represent, as opposed to being in the suburbs. Beckham's team in Florida realizes this. So do Chicago Fire. LAFC's recent success is partly due to their location in a heavily populated neighborhood of LA.

Last edited:

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I studied in Tromsø, it's a pretty nice city/town. And nothing beats the northern lights/midnight sun combo (even if they happen at opposite times of the year).
Aye, can't wait to go back to northern Norway!
Ouch, that's rough. I struggle to support them, and I'm from here. I mean, I like them and want them to do well, but they've been horrendously shit for almost 7 years, so I've kind of just given up on them ever doing anything of note again.
True, but I won't be complaining if they end up employing me next year, I can try to whip them into shape:lol:

forevrared

MLS didn't exist yet when I started supporting United 20+ years ago and my city didn't have a team until just a few seasons ago - so I now support Atlanta United and Manchester United.

Full bodied red

After Benfica, we were sure we'd be in the final. I remember Nobby scoring our only goal late in the second half in the home leg but, all in all, it was pretty deflating.

Don't remember anything at all about the second leg, especially that Nobby scored, so Thanks for that

See...We learn something new every day.

Gator Nate

The Villages SC, my newly adopted "local" club. It's USL League 2, a U23 development team, and really fun to watch. United would kill them.

I have had a really hard time getting into Orlando City, they almost seem to make it difficult for me to get to games, or even see them on TV, so I haven't been to one.

mykelawrence

It was Wimbledon pre 2004, but now obviously AFC Wimbledon (feck MK Dons). I always keep my fingers crossed for United v AFC in the FA Cup.

I also have Chicago Fire as my closest team and would love to see a pre-season friendly.

And I'd want United to win both.

Womp

idiot
The Western Sydney Wanderers. Were the first team that had some sort of respectable fan base here, got quickly shut down by the FFA though. Can't have people having fun and building an atmosphere.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The mighty Raith Rovers. Had some cracking players in the early 00's and looked like they were going to be promoted from the first division to the Scottish Premiership. At the time there was a requirement that clubs have at least 10,000 seats available if they were in the top league, so the club spent hundreds of thousands that they borrowed (and through some help from their biggest supporter, former PM Gordon Brown) and started developing the stadium. And then they missed out on promotion. And all the good players fecked off. And a couple of years later they dropped down to the Second Division.

Andersonson

Rosenborg is my local club. By far the best side in Norway. Some giants has fallen visiting them. Likes of Real, Milan, Dortmund and Mourinho got the sack after losing for them. Even knocked out Milan in the CL and went to the quarters. Would always support United if they played against each other. Maybe this year in the EL :)

pastyfool

Vissel Kobe.

The season is only 14 games old and we’re already on our 3rd manager.

No Kobe, No Life.