Do you still buy United kits? (Or any other United merchandise)

caid

Stopped years ago. Mixture of just growing out of them and the Glazers. I have a couple of older kits, seeing people wear glazer merch just makes me cringe.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
This will admittedly sound a bit prideful, but I don't like the idea of wearing clothes with another man's name on my back. I know. It's a pointless distinction but it still bothers me. :lol:

There is certainly nothing wrong with other people wearing it at any age and I could just buy a blank one. I prefer national team jerseys tbh.
Do you wear Calvin Klein? Tommy Hilfiger? Etc

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
the last United shirt I bought was a white one, replica of that worn by Jimmy Greenhoff in the team that beat Liverpool in an FA Cup semi-final replay in 1979! ridiculously expensive these days

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Haven't bought one in years but every year my sister asks what I want for Xmas and the answers always the same. United merchandise. Its not so much that I want it but her being a Liverpool supporter it just seems poetic justice all the times she ribbed me as a kid when pool were dominant. Not so much fun the last few years though.

pacifictheme

I bought a kit from thailand for my son if that counts. I find adults wearing football club clothes pretty cringe unless playing football or at a match.

Sp00ks11

I’m 31 years old so not a chance I would wear a United shirt, however I buy my kids the full kits, they are 8 and 5 years old. I stopped wearing football shirts when I was about 18.

izec

I am not the poster this is related to, but i think there is some difference if you buy a garment with a small logo on it, compared to a piece with the name plastered all over it. I dont mind wearing something branded with a small logo, but i generally dislike something with big logos or big letters. A football shirt with a player's name on the back is fine, but i can see why someone doesnt like it. And i agree with the poster, i find national team jerseys cleaner and nicer due to not having a sponsor on the shirt and sometimes better designs.

I do have some United and NT kits around, some with names and some without, but mostly due to nostalgic reasons and not really to wear them often. Sometimes casually or when playing sports in the summer.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I am not the poster this is related to, but i think there is some difference if you buy a garment with a small logo on it, compared to a piece with the name plastered all over it. I dont mind wearing something branded with a small logo, but i generally dislike something with big logos or big letters. A football shirt with a player's name on the back is fine, but i can see why someone doesnt like it. And i agree with the poster, i find national team jerseys cleaner and nicer due to not having a sponsor on the shirt and sometimes better designs.

I do have some United and NT kits around, some with names and some without, but mostly due to nostalgic reasons and not really to wear them often. Sometimes casually or when playing sports in the summer.
Fair enough, I was asking out of curiosity more than anything.

Calvin Klein boxers are very fashionable and people have no problem wearing them with his name plastered all over it, so I was curious if that poster had issues with something like that too.

In my mind, that’s a bit stranger than having the name of a player on the back of your shirt for the team you invest so much time, money and effort in supporting.

But each to their own of course.

Evans999

I still buy a few kits every couple of years. Primarily to hand them down to my son like my Dad did for me. I've got a great collection of shirts from the 80s and 90s and knowing that's what my dad was wearing in Wembley when he saw Eric Cantona win the 1996 FA cup final is a special feeling.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Your comparison would be more relevant if he'd said that he begrudged the actual Adidas branding, rather than the name spread over the back.

The examples of High Street fashion brands that are named after the designer are essentially logos - like the word 'Hilfiger' or 'Gucci' on a jumper is the same as the Adidas trefoil.

It represents the prestige (or not, depending on the brand) of the company's history in clothing design rather than it represents or brings to mind the physical image of the designer / owner.

RedCurry

Very rarely. That chevy logo is hideous and stands out like a sore thumb. People around me don't necessarily know that I am wearing my club colors and just assume I am a very passionate chevrolet employee.

I would be much more inclined to buying more shirts if they just made that logo a bit more subtle, but oh well.

ravi2

Stopped years ago. Mixture of just growing out of them and the Glazers. I have a couple of older kits, seeing people wear glazer merch just makes me cringe.
Same here, no new kits till the glazers are out for me, plus the Chevy logo is quite possibly the ugliest branding that a 'top tier' team has to wear.

Inter Yer Nan

I'll buy retro gear like some of the Adidas Originals but as far as the kits, no I can't keep up. Three new one's a year, mostly not very nice one's too and they cost close to $100. I'd rather spend it on booze.

RedFish

Last and only Utd kit I bought was the Home Sharp top.

If I played 5 aside still, I'd probably look to get some training gear possibly.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Had only ever bought a Keane and Ferdinand couple of shirts back in my footy playing days 15-20 years ago.
Back then they got tonnes of usage, twice a week minimum.

Started buying a shirt a season when Ibra joined. Had Ibra, Lukaku, Sanchez (yep!), and this year Maguire.

Still not totally sure it's great value, as i'll only ever do 8-10 games a season, and half the games are so cold you have a big coat on over it, but I still like to.

T-R-A-W

I get to old Trafford twice a season on average and for some reason I always end up buying one everytime I am there. Has become a (very expensive) tradition.

In recent times though I've been buying the retro kits as I much prefer them to the recent ones and find I'm more likely to actually wear them!

Merlin 1975-78

the last United shirt I bought was a white one, replica of that worn by Jimmy Greenhoff in the team that beat Liverpool in an FA Cup semi-final replay in 1979! ridiculously expensive these days
I reckon it is fair to say that most of us will always think of, Jimmy Greenhoff, whenever we fondly remember that brilliant white kit with the 3 black stripes down the front