Do you think Ole has or does not have the ability to take us back to the top? And why?

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's a question for those that are still behind Ole and those that aren't. I think it's a question that needs to be considered because our goal is to get back to the top. And so after 10 years of management including his tenure with us so far, I believe this is enough time for us to come up with an opinion whether Ole has the ability to take us to where we want to be or not. Do you think so? And what is your reason?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He has been manager for 10 years. He's not a novice. And so far, he's not shown the ability. Where do we expect him to magically find it?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How many new threads do we need about Ole?

AneRu

He has been manager for 10 years. He's not a novice. And so far, he's not shown the ability. Where do we expect him to magically find it?
Agreed, I think Ole has the right ideas but he lacks the tactical nous to get it right be it in terms of team selection, formations, substitutions and their timing and actually getting the team to play a cohesive style. These weaknesses result in inconsistent performances.

Another aspect is the architecture of the squad but I don't know whether he is to blame or not. His signings are contradictory to his stated aims - you want to play the high press so why sign Maguire to play him with Lindelof? Attacking football with width and then have AWB as one of your starting fullbacks! Signing Bruno and keeping Pogba without buying a top class DM meaning that you cant play the two of them without sacrificing the wide forwards and when you do the fullbacks aren't good enough to provide offensive width leaving the team predictable.

In my view he got a job that doesn't match his talents and previous achievements however his legendary status is helping him get some patience from the fans and the executives. The squad is also good, not good enough to challenge but strong enough to ensure that he will never go on a terrible run that justifies the sack. It requires vision from the board to actually see it for what it is but they won't meaning that Ole is likely to hold us back for a far longer period than Jose, Moyes and LVG combined.

foolsgold

I’m still pretty confident in our manager. I think we’re going in the right direction. It’s not a smooth journey but what is?

Valencia Shin Crosses

It's a question for those that are still behind Ole and those that aren't. I think it's a question that needs to be considered because our goal is to get back to the top. And so after 10 years of management including his tenure with us so far, I believe this is enough time for us to come up with an opinion whether Ole has the ability to take us to where we want to be or not. Do you think so? And what is your reason?
No I don’t. Football in 2020 is such a game of small details and tight moments at the highest level, and Ole hasn’t shown the ability to consistently own and dominate through these details. In many ways he reminds me of Mourinho, in that he pretty much goes out and tell his attackers to “score goals” and that’s about it. Obviously he’s a much more attack minded coach than Jose in general, but both didn’t seem to instill any play style into their forwards in the final 3rd.

He also can’t seem to sufficiently coach a cohesive pressing unit, and in football today with how effective tactical fouling is, it’s pretty much a necessity to press as a team well if you want to dominate games. I think Ole has a good eye for attackers and has done a brilliant job in coaching us up on countering teams, which is why we are a team that can be devastating on the break. But he’s probably taken us as far as we can go, or close to it, and I don’t think any more purchases are going to vault us to the top level again without a more nuanced manager overseeing it.

Green_Red

I still think he is significantly hampered by deficiencies in the squad and replacing him will not fix that we don't have a proper striker, we don't have a right sided winger, and we don't have options at CB outside of Maguire and Lindelof.

Ole has significantly improved several players in his time here. Even Matic has improved compared to his time here under Jose, a player Jose brought in. His signings have been good and overall our play has improved. Its not perfect but anyone that thinks a manager will just come in a flick a switch and we'll be blowing teams away is clueless.

Is he right long term? Only time will tell. Would it be a positive for us to change to someone else? I don't think so. For now I think it is better to allow him to complete the work he is doing rebuilding the squad and wait until there is someone available with the credentials required (has won something significant). A case of "its better the red devil you know".

I also think to stop the rise of player power you need a person in charge longterm and I don't know anyone out there currently that understands this club and its fans better than Ole. Would love to see him add a few ex players to the coaching staff though.

Last edited:

Greck

We're talking about a manager who still forgets to set his team up on corners in CL games. Let's put it this way, the areas of management that aren't his strengths he's really really bad at despite being a ten year vet in management. Subs, in-game management, he has a lot to overcome

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The only ability he has is the unexplainable amount of luck. This week, we were supposed to lose ground, but with chelsea losing and spurs drawing, that didn’t happen. I do not believe in mythical events, but Ole tenure at United is quickly becoming like that anomaly season that Leceister had.

Even though, Ole has the luck to take us back on top, a club with more ambition has shown that a one time event is only short lived as seen with the sacking of Ranieri and Di Mateo the season after their accomplishments.

Nikelesh Reddy

I dont think we”ll win the league Under Ole.That doesn’t mean I want him sacked right away,our situation is a lot more nuanced than that.I would be happy if Ole re-establishes us as a top 4 club over the next couple of seasons.If he can steady the ship for a while,then he can certainly play an important part in eventually taking us back to where we belong..,.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not even a snowflake's chance in hell. Unless you can win the league with 75 points even then I'll doubt he'll get us 70 this year.

Terminator

Nope. I like him but can't help but feel this is as far as he can take us.

Plymouth Red

I still think he is significantly hampered by deficiencies in the squad and replacing him will not fix that we don't have a proper striker, we don't have a right sided winger, and we don't have options at CB outside of Maguire and Lindelof.

Ole has significantly improved several players in his time here. Even Matic has improved compared to his time here under Jose, a player Jose brought in. His signings have been good and overall our play has improved. Its not perfect but anyone that thinks a manager will just come in a flick a switch and we'll be blowing teams away is clueless.

Is he right long term? Only time will tell. Would it be a positive for us to change to someone else? I don't think so. For now I think it is better to allow him to complete the work he is doing rebuilding the squad and wait until there is someone available with the credentials required (has won something significant). A case of "its better the red devil you know".

I also think to stop the rise of player power you need a person in charge longterm and I don't know anyone out there currently that understands this club and its fans better than Ole. Would love to see him add a few ex players to the coaching staff though.
Which players has he considerably improved?

Foxbatt

He has shown nothing in his management career that he is a top coach. You need to be not only a top coach but also have a big club and good players to win trophies. Of course luck too. He only has luck.

Bwuk

I think the telling thing is everyone bar a selection of United fans think he’s not cut out for it.

We won’t get back to the top under Ole.

HowYouDoin

Well lets see.
If we fire him tomorrow which level of teams are more likely to go after him?
Madrid, Barcelona, City....or Molde?
There's your answer.

peridigm

Shaw, Fred, Rashford, and Martial.
Shaw and Martial were better when they first signed under LVG. Fred is improved over Fred under Jose, but I don’t think he’s much different than he was at Shahktar.

I’ll agree, all have improved over what they showed under Jose.

Okey

Well lets see.
If we fire him tomorrow which level of teams are more likely to go after him?
Madrid, Barcelona, City....or Molde?
There's your answer.
Yep. Pretty easy answer there really. As others have said, shown nothing in 10 years to be considered a top manager. Got this job in fortuitous circumstances, and after 2 years, still no evidence of a too manager in there. Not his fault. You can't give what you don't have...

Polar

We are very close to the top despite the fact the team has a lot more to offer. It’s interesting to watch the other top-teams play and observe it’s not only United who struggles and underperforms. Looks like the situation with empty stadiums have most negative impact on the best players.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I think a manager still learning the basics at one of the biggest clubs in the world shows just how far we've fallen.

hobbers

It's been two years and ~£250m spent.

Ole doesn't know his best system, his best formation, his best eleven. And aside from the back four, who have been performing poorly, he doesn't even know who he's going to be selecting game by game. We can't even go through a match without radically changing formation half way through. Almost every tactical or lineup decision this season has been reactive rather than proactive.

He's also got a coaching team around him offering very little of value at this level.

HowYouDoin

Molde wouldn't take him back. They are doing fine without him.
That level though. Doesnt need to be Molde.
After United I fully expect Ole to go to a place like Turkey or Russia, something like that where they will try to sell to their fans how big time they are, how ambitious theyre being by hiring a former Manchester United manager.

Pretty clear no team in the PL or even any of the top leagues will touch him. He just isnt Premier League level. Cardiff knows it. We know it.

Yet he is still our manager haha.

Nick7

No, because we’ve been absolutely shite 75% of the time he’s been here. Two short runs of good performances and results doesn’t convince me.

Polar

I think a manager still learning the basics at one of the biggest clubs in the world shows just how far we've fallen.
Yes you are right. United has fallen step by step. The club is not able to attract neither the best players nor manager. We have to develop the best players and manager ourselves. That’s been our history and success criteria. Feels good be back to our roots, and now we are back in the title race, even though it’s strange.

We tried to buy the most expensive player (Pogba) and manager (Jose) and it didn’t work. That strategy didn’t fit United

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'll be surprised if he can take us right back to the top, but our 2020 form in the league is very good and under Ole we're one of the best clubs to handle the condensed fixtures post lockdown, averaging 2.05 points per game, which is joint highest alongside City and Spurs.

I just don't think the majority of fans understand the impact Covid has had on all clubs and expect teams to play the same football pre Covid. Grinding out resultings while managing fitness is the crucial element to this season and so far we're not doing too bad. What kind of training can the players realistically do when they're having to play a game every 3/4 days. I'll be surprised if he can get us winning the league, but getting us in the top 4 on a regular basis and doing well in cup competitions is easily within his grasp. I just hope he gets us a trophy this season and get us in the top 4. If he is then replaced in the Summer then it'll be job done and he can leave with his head held high.

The amount of bullshit he has to put up with from our own fecking fans is disgraceful. It's not like he's David Moyes who was clearly out of depth, or Jose who directly insulted the club. He's a legend here and has done feck all wrong and yet he gets mocked by a percentage of our fanbase.

leontas

No - can't see the team having the mettle or consistency to sustain the kind of pressure that comes with leading the table. We usually perform best when our backs are against the wall.

How many times did we throw away the opportunity to overtake Chelsea last season?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Let's put it this way, his coaching team isn't doing him any favours. In fact the quality of the first team coaches we have at the moment is somewhat reflective of Ole's ability and reputation as manager - my assumption is that he doesn't have the professional capital/pull to attract the best in the business.

Not his fault but Ole deserves to enjoy his managerial career at a club more tailored to his level, where expectations are a tad more modest.

dove

Of course he doesn't, just like our entire coaching staff. We will be good enough to hang around TOP 4 even with Ole in charge purely because we have a very good squad but the team has to carry the manager which will never allow us to back to the top.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
That level though. Doesnt need to be Molde.
After United I fully expect Ole to go to a place like Turkey or Russia, something like that where they will try to sell to their fans how big time they are, how ambitious theyre being by hiring a former Manchester United manager.

Pretty clear no team in the PL or even any of the top leagues will touch him. He just isnt Premier League level. Cardiff knows it. We know it.

Yet he is still our manager haha.
He won't be getting 9m a year again though that's for sure.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Exactly this. It’s the same for people who were defending Koeman in the Barca thread. You may win a domestic cup or two after a lot of spending and time/backing, but it’s not going to suddenly click to life.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No. Clearly.

This league is there for us to win. Get rid of him & take our title back it’s been too long & now is the time. I’d sack him tonight. Sentiment is hurting us so much. Too much of a soft centre. Soft clubs don’t win titles. Ruthless clubs do. If we have any ambition Ole would be gone tonight & we would chase down this title.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Im quite 50/50 on ole because whilst I see gaps in his tactics I do see a projection in terms of a squad which I've not seen from other managers after SAF.

I'm willing to just sit with my mouth closed and see what happens as a fan - to see if he fails or he succeeds.

We are literally a CDM, a ST, a RM and a CB away from going up a level where maybe we can go an compete for a PL season - but then again neither do I feel like Ole is tactically the best manager I've seen at United. Saying that neither do I think he has a complete squad for him to be able to stick with a consistent overpowered system either.

Since I'm just a fan and I dont matter - I'm okay with him having one transfer window where he can address 4 more weak spots in our squad. Even if they are not the best of the best players, they should be good enough to take us up for a challenge.

If he fails at it then bring Pochettino in who would do that building thing aswell.

DeGea

He has the man management skills (players like him), but he lacks the personality to get that extra 10% to win the league. To win a competition, you need to have a manager who has the personality to inspire you when you are running on fumes at the end of the season. SAF, Mourinho, Guardiola, Simeone, Zidane, etc2 are not just managers but they are big personalities whether you like them or not. Ole doesn't have this (at least publicly he does not come across like he does), he is just a very nice guy who is half decent as a manager. Tactically I also think he is behind the likes of Klopp, Guardiola, Jose and some of the modern coaches from mainland Europe. Not far off, but still a bit behind. SAF was good tactically but he was not the best - his personality and man management more than made up for it though, and in his time it was enough to carry his teams over the line. You would never imagine us winning a game against a top 4 team now with a midfield of Oshea, Gibson, Rafael and Fletch. The game has moved on and I think he knew that at the end of his career and decided to retire whilst at the top.

For reasons of a lack of personality and slightly behind tactically, I think he will get us close but not close enough to win the league again. Would be extremely happy to be proven wrong as I do like him as a person.