Do you want Ronaldo to stay or to leave?

Ronaldo

• Stay

Votes: 436 62.0%
  • Leave

Votes: 267 38.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deery

Dreary
Would be nice to accompany him with a top class young striker, he’s only got one year left scored 21 goals so far, so don’t see the harm in it..

ClassOf'99

Why are you bringing up Messi, I never mentioned Messi, there's a big Messi vs Ronaldo thread for you if you want to discuss that. I think PSG should move on from Messi (and Neymar) too if they want to win the Champions League next season. It's irrelevant to what United should do or not do next season. What's your point, that it's worked for PSG? It hasn't and it hasn't worked for United either (as an overall team), we're out of all cups in March and struggling to get top 4.

What part of Ronaldo's personality that you've seen in the past 15 years suggests to you that he will be told that he's not going to be an important player after being top scorer this season, and he will take that gracefully without issue?
Because strangely enough in part I quote from your previous post of saying that PSG wouldn't be carrying a players wages like Ronaldos when in fact they are doing it with Messi, that is the point.

Also the fact they are carrying Neymar another play with a high wage bill that you think they should move on from damns your previous post even more.

My even bigger point is your hate for our top scorer, but I guess hate can make you not weigh up all relevant pros and cons of a situation.

The part where we are talking about 37 year old Ronaldo, not the Ronaldo from 15, 10, or even 5 years ago, he knows he is getting older and age can change players alongside their mentality.

His display after the game with the youngsters is hinting at a team first mentality for Ronaldo, he wants to make an impact, he wants to be winning and I believe if he's convinced that sometimes it's better for him to be on the bench than the pitch for that to happen, then he will accept it.

We haven't got to see it this season because he's been our only option upfront, Rashford hasn't been on it for 2 years now, Cavani has been wanting out since December, Martial wanted out when Rangnick came, so how can we truly know if we bring in another striker that Ronaldo will cause a fuss for game time? Answer is we don't, any opinion after the fact will be subjective until proven one way or the other.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He isn't the problem but the solution partly involves him not being in our first choice eleven.

If he was willing to accept being a squad player who doesn't start the biggest games without drama then I'd say stay. But as I don't think that's the case, he should leave.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Because strangely enough in part I quote from your previous post of saying that PSG wouldn't be carrying a players wages like Ronaldos when in fact they are doing it with Messi, that is the point.

Also the fact they are carrying Neymar another play with a high wage bill that you think they should move on from damns your previous post even more.

My even bigger point is your hate for our top scorer, but I guess hate can make you not weigh up all relevant pros and cons of a situation.

The part where we are talking about 37 year old Ronaldo, not the Ronaldo from 15, 10, or even 5 years ago, he knows he is getting older and age can change players alongside their mentality.

His display after the game with the youngsters is hinting at a team firstentality for Ronaldo, he wants to make an impact, he wants to be winning and I believe if he's convinced that sometimes it's better for him to be on the bench than the pitch for that to happen, then he will accept it.

We haven't got to see it this season because he's been our only option upfront, Rashford hasn't been on it for 2 years now, Cavani has been wanting out since December, Martial wanted out when Rangnick came, so how can we truly know if we bring in another striker that Ronaldo will cause a fuss for game time? Answer is we don't, any opinion after the fact will be subjective until proven one way or the other.
If PSG had known how Messi would perform this season I don't think they would carry his wages.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'll imagine this to be quite divisive.
He's scored a hatrick in his last 2 home games, so that'll put off some of the nay sayers.

21 goals in this team is a great effort.

Imagine what he could do in a better system.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
As much as I have criticized Ronaldo this season, it is illogical to let him leave this season.

The club have already lost Greenwood, Cavani was meant to leave last season but was persuaded to stay, so will be leaving this summer. Martial has been woeful at Sevilla so is clearly not fit to lead the line next season, Rashford the same as Martial but while actually staying, Lingard is probably going to leave.

The club are going to be short on attackers next season even if they bring in a top attacker.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Asking the question after a hattrick is bound to swing the vote.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It’s hard to say leave on a day like today but Tuesday might make it a little easier. We still need someone who can pose a threat to a team like Liverpool.
Let's worry about posing a threat to half the other teams first eh?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
People talking as if we're buying a whole new squad in the summer. Who is going to kick Ronaldo out of the first 11 exactly? Unless he himself decides to bail on us for no CL, we'll need bodies next season.

I know who I'd have in my starting eleven out of Ronaldo, Rashford, Bruno or Maguire and it's certainly the first one.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As much as I have criticized Ronaldo this season, it is illogical to let him leave this season.

The club have already lost Greenwood, Cavani was meant to leave last season but was persuaded to stay, so will be leaving this summer. Martial has been woeful at Sevilla so is clearly not fit to lead the line next season, Rashford the same as Martial but while actually staying, Lingard is probably going to leave.

The club are going to be short on attackers next season even if they bring in a top attacker.
Exactly this.
As well as the players you're mentioning we'll also be losing Matic, and probably finally Mata. Although 5mins passing nicely against Norwich might con a few that he's worth another year on 100k a week playing 10 games a year!

You can't be turfing out 10 or so players in a window, it just doesn't work.

KeanoMagicHat

If Ten Hag wants us to play like Ajax (which I’m really hoping for), Ronaldo is definitely better than Haller.
Haller can hold the ball up better and is 27, not 37. Not like Haller is in the same class of overall striker but possession progressive teams can have a target man to donkey work and I don't think that role suits Ronaldo at all.

luke511

He's scored a hatrick in his last 2 home games, so that'll put off some of the nay sayers.

21 goals in this team is a great effort.

Imagine what he could do in a better system.
This is what's baffling me, how this isn't being considered. This version of Ronaldo with a consistent, functional team behind him can still perform at the highest level, he's doing it anyway without that luxury. Wanting him to leave is fecking nuts given the lack of striker options available currently, and how urgent the midfield and other positions need investing in first.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People talking as if we're buying a whole new squad in the summer. Who is going to kick Ronaldo out of the first 11 exactly? Unless he himself decides to bail on us for no CL, we'll need bodies next season.

I know who I'd have in my starting eleven out of Ronaldo, Rashford, Bruno or Maguire and it's certainly the first one.
That's it. Sancho has had a few decent patches, but is nowhere near what we've expected so far, and he's probably the second pick behind Ronaldo right now!

We can't rely on any of these guys next season, Greenwood, Rashford, Lingard, Martial and Mata. Matic is on his way out, and Jonesy is without being too harsh, there for the ride. So that's 6 or 7 we need to replace in the squad, let alone replacing one of the few good performers.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
There's no point in bringing in Ten Hag then telling him he has to play a different way because Ronaldo. And all the indications are that this is not the way it will be.

If you wanted a manager who would accommodate the existing players then you should have voted for Poch. He's done that all day at PSG

ClassOf'99

If PSG had known how Messi would perform this season I don't think they would carry his wages.
That was the gamble we both took to be fair but they've been doing it longer with Neymar.

They have a better current set up than us at the minute too so it looks worse for PSG and Messi than us, but you hear about it less than you hear about Ronnie and United.

RetroStu

After scoring 21 goals in this shit team, and so many of those goals have been match winning or match saving goals, well i shudder to think where we would be in the table this season if he hasnt signed.
Having said that, if we dont get top 4 then he's 100% gone, and i cant blame him to be honest.

As a couple of other people have already said, there seems to be some people on here who think we will gbe getting like 8 or 9 new players in the summer, well we wont be. So actually wanting someone like Ronaldo to leave is down right ludicrous.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is what's baffling me, how this isn't being considered. This version of Ronaldo with a consistent, functional team behind him can still perform at the highest level, he's doing it anyway without that luxury. Wanting him to leave is fecking nuts given the lack of striker options available currently.
He's got Rashy dribbling into blind alleys, Sancho still very much finding his feet, a slightly reckless Bruno, and unbothered Pogba providing the ammo this year, and scores 21.
I genuinely wonder how many people think the likes of say Son and Salah would score in comparison. Son is only on 2 goals in a team built around him, and Salah only on 5 more league goals, in an all out attacking team at the top of its game!

KeanoMagicHat

A valid point but if you got rid of Ronaldo's salary, you could possibly buy three good forwards for that price. Worth remembering that Jota, Diaz, Mane and Salah are on less combined than Ronaldo on his own.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
After scoring 21 goals in this shit team, and so many of those goals have been match winning or match saving goals, well i shudder to think where we would be in the table this season if he hasnt signed.
Having said that, if we dont get top 4 then he's 100% gone, and i cant blame him to be honest.

As a couple of other people have already said, there seems to be some people on here who think we will gbe getting like 8 or 9 new players in the summer, well we wont be. So actually wanting someone like Ronaldo to leave is down right ludicrous.
That won't be true at all.
Who is going to take 500k a week on?

At his age, I don't think this champions league thing is as big an obsession as some think.
There's only a tiny handful of teams who can pay that, and he's not going to go to say Porto just because they're in the tournament!

Your bottom line is dead on correct though. We need a couple of attackers, one wide forward, and one other striker as a minimum as Cavani, Greenwood, Martial, Mata and Lingard are off!

KeanoMagicHat

That was the gamble we both took to be fair but they've been doing it longer with Neymar.

They have a better current set up than us at the minute too so it looks worse for PSG and Messi than us, but you hear about it less than you hear about Ronnie and United.
Except being in the newspapers constantly in France and being one of the main narratives of the French season, you're a United fan and you consume United content so of course they're going to mention Man United and Ronaldo more in the stuff you read.

jm99

I'm sure they would have, his brand means far more to Qatar in a world cup year than his performances, they were going to win ligue 1 anyway, so if he really performed in the champions League it's a bonus, but the prestige of having him there and his value to their brand is worth what they're paying I'd think

Gehrman

Neymar problem has been injury problems. He's been class on form for PSG.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I've been critical but christ alive he is still scoring goals in the PL at 37, back to back OT hatricks no less. I want him to stay because next year if he is not here we will be struggling for goals.

Woodzy

Stay. We have far too many other positions too fill as it is and Ronald at even half his peak is still a better option than most.

Gehrman

I'm sure they would have, his brand means far more to Qatar in a world cup year than his performances, they were going to win ligue 1 anyway, so if he really performed in the champions League it's a bonus, but the prestige of having him there and his value to their brand is worth what they're paying I'd think
I don't think they would but we are derailing the thread.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There's no point in bringing in Ten Hag then telling him he has to play a different way because Ronaldo. And all the indications are that this is not the way it will be.

If you wanted a manager who would accommodate the existing players then you should have voted for Poch. He's done that all day at PSG
A top manager will recognise the talent he has at his disposal and make the most of it.
He won't come in and say, right we'll have Lingard up front as he chases around a lot.

RetroStu

That won't be true at all.
Who is going to take 500k a week on?

At his age, I don't think this champions league thing is as big an obsession as some think.
There's only a tiny handful of teams who can pay that, and he's not going to go to say Porto just because they're in the tournament!

Your bottom line is dead on correct though. We need a couple of attackers, one wide forward, and one other striker as a minimum as Cavani, Greenwood, Martial, Mata and Lingard are off!
Hey i hope Ronaldo stays if we dont get Top 4, i just dont think money is his ultimate priority.
Of course he could be happy at the club, and in Manchester. There were reports one of the main reason he came back is because he wanted his kids in good English schools. Maybe he will be happy to stay and fight to get us back into the Top 4 as i do think he wants to keep playing until 40, or even more.

I just dont know, i will be surprised if he stays if we dont get Top 4.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
A top manager will recognise the talent he has at his disposal and make the most of it.
He won't come in and say, right we'll have Lingard up front as he chases around a lot.
Well I think he might well do something like that (apart from the Lingard bit)

KeanoMagicHat

No but he might be like Darwin Nunez is the future, Ronaldo doesn't fit in and you can't teach an old dog new tricks, it's unlikely that Ronaldo heading for 38 would want to learn a new way of playing, whereas a 22 or 23 year old striker is a blank canvas by comparison. Look at Liverpool and City's forwards, they were nearly all brought in around 23-24 and taught a certain way of playing that suited the team and now they know it like the back of their hand. Ronaldo has had so much success the way he plays and has a far higher standing in the game than Ten Hag will ever have, so shouldn't be too surprised if he would just ignore instructions and do whatever he wants anyway.

Redlyn

He scores goals but in this team game if he can't fit in th manager's plan he needs to leave. I'd rather a 1-0 today than a 3-2. If another type of forward helps us achieve that I'm up for it. I heard he doesn't fit into ETH's plans. Who knows how true any of that is. Anyway I voted leave.

Gehrman

Hey i hope Ronaldo stays if we dont get Top 4, i just dont think money is his ultimate priority.
Of course he could be happy at the club, and in Manchester. There were reports one of the main reason he came back is because he wanted his kids in good English schools. Maybe he will be happy to stay and fight to get us back into the Top 4 as i do think he wants to keep playing until 40, or even more.

I just dont know, i will be surprised if he stays if we dont get Top 4.
Sometimes it's a pride thing. If you believe you are the best you want to be paid as one. Ronnie has always been like that. Most Great footballers are.

RetroStu

He scores goals but in this team game if he can't fit in th manager's plan he needs to leave. I'd rather a 1-0 today than a 3-2. If another type of forward helps us achieve that I'm up for it. I heard he doesn't fit into ETH's plans. Who knows how true any of that is. Anyway I voted leave.
Are you trying to suggest our shit defence this season is down to Ronaldo?

United Hobbit

Stay, provided he's used in the correct manner - sparingly, bringing him on if we're struggling/ in big games

Get the kids training with him and watching his positioning/ awareness etc

Status
Not open for further replies.