Do you want to see Pep at United?

Theonas

Scout
I find it surprising how many user who reject pep here is the same who criticize jose week in week out & clearly not happy with him.
Maybe because there is more to football than getting the best man for the job? Once a manager or a player becomes associated with a big rival to the point Guardiola is doing with City right now, it is difficult to look at them as one of your own which is at the end of the day something that most football fans look for. I don't think for example Real Madrid fans would be anonymous in wanting Pep managing them either. When you consider that he is probably the most suited manager in the world for a rich club with resources, why do you think that would be?

AshRK

Most disgraceful thread of the year goes to this. Yes let us show to other rival fans of how we are begging their manager to join us. If Sir alex read this , he would lock this whole website. Disgraceful just disgraceful.

Theonas

Scout
Exactly. As it is, Jose gets too much shit and even when his team scores and plays well he will always have this "defensive football", "park the bus" tags attached but it's nothing like SAF vs Wenger.

SAF teams went toe to toe against any teams and even if he gave bit more respect to Arsenal when it comes to possession, we were ruthless in counter attacking and more often than not, we out played them.
It's really annoying how some would throw these silly jabs at SAF to create some very far fetched similarities with the current regime. SAF and us were always considered sexy teams that played attacking football. As I wrote before, it can easily be argued that this reputation was a bit exaggerated in the British media at especially, but it is absolutely bonkers to suggest that SAF has ever had the narrative around him that Mourinho does. Also, I am not sure where this notion of Wenger having been the darling of the media. When he first came, he was ridiculed. The narrative around our games in the '90s and early '00s was more about battles and wars of attrition than anything aesthetic oriented like it is today. It was not until the past 10 years or so when Wenger stopped competing that some sections in the media would use his teams' quality on the ball as some sort of balancing act to the criticism. I think it's either some of our fans are too young and all they remember is that period or there is some serious revisionism.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
No.

But he won't ever be our manager now anyway because he's managed City so it's a moot point.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
What kind of thread is this :lol:

In what dimension will Guardiola ever manage Man Utd?

Sterling Archer

This has got to be a joke. Are you seriously suggesting that Sir Alex has ever had a reputation for being an enemy of football and accused of negative tactics as much as Mourinho? Whether you think Fergie was like that or not is a different subject, but reputation wise? No, he has never been reputed for anything like to the point that you might argue the British media were biased. The reputation Mourinho has is only matched by some Italians really, the likes of Trappatoni or to a lesser extent Capello. Rafa had that image about him for a whole also although he is insignificant now. Again, not saying that Mourinho is in fact the way his reputation is but talking of reputations; Mourinho and Fergie are nothing alike.
*Sigh* why is it so hard to have a conversation on this forum without being misquoted and misinterpreted to fit someone else's agenda. Get ahold of yourself..

Man management over football purist
Not anti football vs football. How they inspire players versus focusing on an on-the-pitch philosophy. If anything, the off putting media favoritism I'm referring to looks more to Pep and Wenger than bring SAF into it.

For the sake of diplomacy I'll also venture into your murky misunderstanding. Let's be clear - SAF has never been in the same breath of football connoisseurs in the same way he has never been anti football. I've not given such a statement even the shortest pause. But at the same time he has never been any sort of innovator of football tactics or the vanguard for that supposedly sexy modern style of late. If anything our "old school football " under Fergie is why we didn't have as much European success . It's widely touted that it took c Queroz coming back and injecting some modern tactics to become formidable on the continent. And the rather conservative style employed then was closer to Joses counter style than keep the ball tiki taka.

Something something calm your sh*ts

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Just as I did not want to see Mourinho at United, I don't want to see Pep here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Please just stop this nonsense. I rate Pep highly. I rate Klopp highly. But they manage our rivals. Deal with it and stop yearning for them FFS. We're Manchester United. Stuff like this makes us look incredibly small time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Also this Pep and miracle improving players theory is the most irritatingly tunnel visioned thing ever.

They've literally spent £700m on players in 3 years. If United or Chelsea had spent this money in 3 years, they would also have vastly improved players to what they currently have. It's just so utterly idiotic to argue any different.

For City's last league game against Leicester, 9 of the starting line up and all three of the subs were players brought in during this little spending spree...and one of the other two remaining players was Sergio Aguero...who if I remember rightly was pretty good before Pep arrived.

Improving players = constantly buying better ones than the ones you had previously?

There's no doubt he's a good coach but open your eyes for a second as to the full reason why City are suddenly trouncing everyone else.
The only problem is, we are the 2nd most spending club in the world in past few years (the only club who spent nearly as much as City), yet we still couldn't play proper football on many occasion. So I don't think we are at good position to criticize their over-spending.

Point is, given their performance on pitch, their money can be considered well spent if compare to us.

Last edited:

VJ1762

Looks like we are really doing a liverpool by starting threads like these. Like a poster said above, it makes us look like a small club instead of the big club that we are. You know, this poster weirdly reminds me of a friend of mine, who was a die-hard united fan but also a barcelona fan( ? ). He always used to go on about Pep this and Pep that, and that he would be a very good fit for united. I agreed with this and said that Pep would at the very least, would definitely not bore me to death like LVG did at that time. But after Pep came to city and mourinho came to united, he sstating that he would not support united as they hired mourino( you know the story) and for him, playing 'attacking football' was a number one priority. and a few months later, he openly stated that he was supporting city because his highness Pep Guardiola was managing them.

We fired a manager because he came out with quotes like ' we aspire to play like man city' or whatever. How can a United fan start a thread openly asking for coach of one our biggest rivals to come and manage us? I would never want him to manage us. In fact, if Mourinho is not upto the job, we should go for someone like a tuchel or allegri or even an emery to see what he can do. But guardiola or klopp( before someone starts a thread wanting him) are an absolute no. We are Manchester United and we should never employ someone who rejected us and went to work for those blue *****.

Ban

First of all I want to make it clear this is NOT another thread to sing Man City's praises nor am I a City lover, I was chatting to a couple of friends today and this came up so I thought I'd make a thread on it.

Firstly as much as I hate to admit it, I can't deny that Pep is a brilliant coach, has won a lot trophies and most importantly brings a very distinguished style of play which many of us would dream to see at United. I don't think anyone here hand on heart can say they haven't felt jealous watching Man City this season and it does hurt because I can't stand them as a club however they've got a coach who fits into our traditions of attacking football and would understand the United DNA better than Jose. Again I'm not bashing Jose who is another great coach and has done amazing things in his career too. He was the best choice to replace SAF and we appointed him 3 years too late.

What I want to ask is do you envisage the possibility of Pep becoming our manager in the future? And do you think it can happen? I have seen his name pop up in next manager threads in the past even a couple of weeks ago he was there. Personally I'd love to see him at United before he retires and I don't see a problem even if he is managing City now. Things change very quickly in football. Who would've thought in the summer of 2015 that Jose would be our manager 1 year later? He is still quite young for a coach and given that he has spent only 4 and 3 years respectively at his previous clubs I don't expect Man City to be any different.
Pep isn't from Manchester and doesn't have any particular affiliation with Manchester and I don't see Man City the same way I see Liverpool. If you manage Liverpool you automatically rule yourself out of managing United in the future and vice versa. Does the same apply to Man City in your eyes?

We have plenty of transfer threads discussing players who might come to United and imagining how they would fit into the squad etc... so why should managers be any different? We should be aspiring to have the buy the best players and have the best coaches in our club. Is that not what football is all about ultimately?

If he did come here in the future it wouldn't be straight after he leaves Man City obviously. He would go somewhere else and then we could make a move. I see a lot of young players such as TFM, Tuanzebe, Chong, Gomes and even the likes of Martial and Rashford in 4/5 years time would really benefit from someone who improves players like Pep. Discuss.....
Congrats on your tagline.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The only problem is, we are the 2nd most spending club in the world in past few years (the only club who spent nearly as much as City), yet we still couldn't play proper football on many occasion. So I don't think we are at good position to criticize their over-spending.

Point is, given their performance on pitch, their money can be considered well spent if compare to us.
Yeah, I agree with that, especially the last bit. Though I think it's worthwhile to bear in mind that the Pogba and Lukaku money greatly inflates our spending.

Pep spent most of his money on defenders, whereas we've had to sign and fill 2 of the most expensive positions on the team.

Member 90887

Good lord. Such a bs to wake up to.

How is this still open!

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He wouldn't come anyway, no unlimited budget for him to spend as much as he wants, no budget for doping doctors and we wouldn't want our youth players in first team tradition broken in his first game in charge.
The butt-hurt is strong.

Skills

Snitch
Yes obviously. I also want to sleep with the best looking woman in the world, it's not gonna happen though.

JohnnyKills

First of all I want to make it clear this is NOT another thread to sing Man City's praises nor am I a City lover, I was chatting to a couple of friends today and this came up so I thought I'd make a thread on it.

Firstly as much as I hate to admit it, I can't deny that Pep is a brilliant coach, has won a lot trophies and most importantly brings a very distinguished style of play which many of us would dream to see at United. I don't think anyone here hand on heart can say they haven't felt jealous watching Man City this season and it does hurt because I can't stand them as a club however they've got a coach who fits into our traditions of attacking football and would understand the United DNA better than Jose. Again I'm not bashing Jose who is another great coach and has done amazing things in his career too. He was the best choice to replace SAF and we appointed him 3 years too late.

What I want to ask is do you envisage the possibility of Pep becoming our manager in the future? And do you think it can happen? I have seen his name pop up in next manager threads in the past even a couple of weeks ago he was there. Personally I'd love to see him at United before he retires and I don't see a problem even if he is managing City now. Things change very quickly in football. Who would've thought in the summer of 2015 that Jose would be our manager 1 year later? He is still quite young for a coach and given that he has spent only 4 and 3 years respectively at his previous clubs I don't expect Man City to be any different.
Pep isn't from Manchester and doesn't have any particular affiliation with Manchester and I don't see Man City the same way I see Liverpool. If you manage Liverpool you automatically rule yourself out of managing United in the future and vice versa. Does the same apply to Man City in your eyes?

We have plenty of transfer threads discussing players who might come to United and imagining how they would fit into the squad etc... so why should managers be any different? We should be aspiring to have the buy the best players and have the best coaches in our club. Is that not what football is all about ultimately?

If he did come here in the future it wouldn't be straight after he leaves Man City obviously. He would go somewhere else and then we could make a move. I see a lot of young players such as TFM, Tuanzebe, Chong, Gomes and even the likes of Martial and Rashford in 4/5 years time would really benefit from someone who improves players like Pep. Discuss.....
I started a similar threat a while ago and got shouted down mate, don't feel bad.

It seems extremely unlikely that'd he ever come, but not impossible. He isn't from Manchester and doesn't feel any of the rivalry we do. In Spain and other countries managers move between rival clubs all the time.

But even if it did happen, it might well not be a success. As people have mentioned, he inherited some quality players at City and has had a blank cheque to improve the squad.

If there were even the slightest chance it would happen, by the time it became a possibility there'd probably be younger, simpler, cheaper alternatives anyway.

Irrational.

First of all I want to make it clear this is NOT another thread to sing Man City's praises nor am I a City lover
Oh really?

What I want to ask is do you envisage the possibility of Pep becoming our manager in the future? And do you think it can happen? I have seen his name pop up in next manager threads in the past even a couple of weeks ago he was there. Personally I'd love to see him at United before he retires and I don't see a problem even if he is managing City now.

:rolleyes:

I see a lot of young players such as TFM, Tuanzebe, Chong, Gomes and even the likes of Martial and Rashford in 4/5 years time would really benefit from someone who improves players like Pep. Discuss.....
Improving youth players you say? I wonder what players like Sancho, Adarabioyo, Foden and Diaz think of that with the plethora of chances they've been given...

He's a chequebook manager like the rest of them, who will blow money like it's coming out of his metaphorical weiner until he has exactly what he needs. Even if it means throwing one of the players he's bought under the bus, like Bravo. I'm absolutely fed up of people describing him as some kind of pure footballing god. For me he's tarnished his legacy by moving to City anyway, just goes to show the ambition of the man. Fully expect him to be at PSG in the next 2-3 seasons, maybe followed by a stint in Qatar.

R'hllor

On first glance (didnt read OP) i tho it was straight question as would people here mind PG becoming United manager at any point in the future (guess he meant in 10-15 years time), in which case i wouldnt see it as some disgusting thread but by looking replies guess OP added things on top of that.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not as bad as suggesting Klopp, but no I wouldn't. I don't think he'd do any better than Mourinho with this squad.

Rajma

Certainly not after they bribed Pep’s brother and now have established mutual interest.

Also, get grip I’m no Mourinho lover but these threads are an embarrassment.

The second he chose City he can feck and couldn’t care less about him.

Shark

@NotShark
This thread is yet another embarrassment that you'd expect to see in the newbies, not on the main forums.

Water Melon

No, I do not want Pep at United. I think he is better than Jose, I think he will win more trophies with City than Jose with us, however, I'd rather go for someone young with potential. Poch could be an option.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
1. Manager of Man City, I don’t want any manager of City ever managing this club. It would be perhaps tolerable back in the day, but now they are a lotto winning oil club with no real footballing ideals. At least they used to be a proper club.

2. He doesn’t fit in with the clubs tradition of playing youth players. People say this about Mou but he has proved that to be false whilst here. Pep is far worse in that regard.

Camilo

Footballing wise I probably admire him more now than I did when he was at Bayern, but I'd never want him here.

Even with Mourinho it's a bit like we've just got Chelsea's old coach.. And Matic.. And even Sanchez a little...

We need to act when a young coach makes waves at a decent sized, underachieving club. If a manager's got a clear idea, and you can see that on the pitch every week, and it aligns with what we as a club expect, sign him up.

"One of our own" is important. I don't want another clubs sloppy seconds.

stevoc

1. Pep is only doing a better job than Jose because he inherited better players and spent more

2. Pep is doing such a good job that he must be doping or something like that
Yeah probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

GM K

No, thank you.

Jose will beat Pep to the title next season.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sure, or better yet, maybe United and City can just merge and become the same club. Than the caf can change it's name to purplecafe which is pimp as feck.

Janson

I can understand this is a sensitive topic and a lot of people aren't impressed but I don't believe I've said anything controversial. After all the caf is a platform for fans to voice their opinions. I made a point and I gave reasons for it. You may agree with it. You may disagree with it. If you disagree state your point and give reasons for it instead of giving short answers. My thread isn't praising Man City. We've had enough of those this season. I'm looking at what people think about their manager taking over at our club in the future. Are fans open to this idea? It's that simple. We haven't had a thread like this in the past so that's why I've taken the time to make it.
The possible doping at Man City is just speculation of course, but if he can do it here without being detected, then I wouldn't mind. There's no point in bringing him here otherwise.

Janson

I don't think Sir Alex would let Pep manage United because then he would no longer be the greatest manager in the club's history
:lol::lol::lol:
1. Pep is only doing a better job than Jose because he inherited better players and spent more

2. Pep is doing such a good job that he must be doping or something like that
I can't see why doing both wouldn't be desirable. You can start doping WBA's team, that wouldn't necessarily win make them contenders.

Last edited: