Film Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Very average movie, leaning more to the poor side of the spectrum than the good. The reasoning for the baddy doing what they were doing, was an absolutely shambolic reason that made very little sense or justification.

5/10.

The only MCU movies worse than it are;
The Incredible Hulk,
Thor: The Dark World,
Captain Marvel,
Black Widow,
The Eternals

Oldyella

It was OK, not a tent pole movie, which is a massive shame when they have such a good concept and what feels like their main character of the moment it it.

There wad mention of some interesting comic stuff which I would love to see, bit feels too big for the mcu. Also, it Said the mcu was 616, but I thought that wasnt the case?

decorativeed

I was hoping for a Deadpool appearance at the end but instead I sat there through about a billion names, just for the shittest end credit scene ever
I like those kind of scenes, to be honest. Like the Cap one after Spider-Man Homecoming. I love the thoroughly pissed off audience reaction.

Last edited:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Enjoyed it. Very good visual effects. Good watch overall.

decorativeed

I preferred it to No Way Home, to be honest. If this had come out before Infinity War, I think it'd have been much better received. I just think we've been spoiled and a lot of people are getting super-hero burnout.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I like those kind of scenes, to be honest. Like the Cap one after Spider-Man Homecoming. I love the thoughoughly pissed off audience reaction.
I didn't stay for the second one, thankfully. Heard it was pretty naff.

diarm

Pretty impressed that there's wheelchair access on Titan to be honest.

Bebe

Thought it was alright, mostly agree with the "mcu hasn't really gripped me post endgame" takes. The middle part of the movie, where they do a bunch of set up for future stuff (I assume) really derailed everything that was working well.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Thought it was alright, mostly agree with the "mcu hasn't really gripped me post endgame" takes. The middle part of the movie, where they do a bunch of set up for future stuff (I assume) really derailed everything that was working well.
It's sorta like they've done a soft reset, and they're releasing films similar to phase 1 which didn't at the time feel like they were leading up to anything big other than the obvious team up.

RedDevil@84

It was an ok-ish movie. Once again, post end-game MCU disappoints. I was pumped up quite a bit after I saw the post credits in Spiderman NWH. But this story falls short. The reasoning for what the antagonist was lame, almost borderline "We can have shit reasoning for stuff, because we are MCU" and pretty much everything about the movie shouts average. The fights were fine. But overall, a one time watch at best.
Was expecting lot of dwelling on the multiverse and some sort of continuation of what Dr Strange did in NWH. But it seems this was designed like a standalone movie of sorts. Basically Dr. Strange 2 and nothing more.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
had my very first trip to the cinema since 2019 last night. And it was...alright. It was enjoyable enough, I just can't get on board with that ridiculous reason that The Scarlet Witch is going bonkers. Would have made more sense that she was trying to get to another vision. Since that’s where her trauma lies. Her killing him for nothing. Imaginary kids might be cheaper than Paul Bettany, but they don’t make any sense. And do a great disservice to the Wanda character.

Post endgame continues to underwhelm.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
had my very first trip to the cinema since 2019 last night. And it was...alright. It was enjoyable enough, I just can't get on board with that ridiculous reason that The Scarlet Witch is going bonkers. Would have made more sense that she was trying to get to another vision. Since that’s where her trauma lies. Her killing him for nothing. Imaginary kids might be cheaper than Paul Bettany, but they don’t make any sense. And do a great disservice to the Wanda character.

You haven't seen WandaVision which came out last year?

decorativeed

Her slide into that mindset made perfect sense to me. I thought it was one of the stronger motivations - way more relatable than the last Doc Strange villain, or Maleketh, or Ego or that Guy Pierce one from Iron Man 3. I've seen a lot of people saying the same as you, mind, and I can only assume none of them have kids.

Rake

Flawed but still great. Enjoyed the gory stuff a lot.

Must watch WandaVision to understand her motives better. For those asking why she is so overpowered in this movie - she turned from Anakin to Darth Vader and without any deficiencies to hold her back.

GBBQ

So I think they definitely overplayed the multiverse aspect. Doctor Strange in the other slightly different universe of cameos might have been a better name.

I did enjoy it and seeing certain characters properly realised was awesome. But given that it was supposed to take place before No Way Home and had to be re-shot and restructured accordingly is telling. I guess thats the biggest downside to the behemoth that is the MCU, you're being released in a given window even if you're not 100% ready because the following 5 films depend on your storyline setting up the next installments.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It was ok... a bit all over the place though.

I feel like there was a whole film / TV series before this film - mainly that focused on Scarlett Witch's heel turn (which was a bit rushed for me - didn't we just see her feel terrible about enslaving an entire community and freeing them? So now she's perfectly happy straight up murdering folk?) and gave a bit more of an introduction to Chavez (Hey this girl can travel the multiverse! because...reasons!.... and now she's on a bus!).

In general I feel Chavez was a bit underserved in terms of a character arc - and was more there just to be the macguffin - so much so that what was the key to being able to control her powers? Believing in herself of course!

bucky

It was an ok-ish movie. Once again, post end-game MCU disappoints. I was pumped up quite a bit after I saw the post credits in Spiderman NWH. But this story falls short. The reasoning for what the antagonist was lame, almost borderline "We can have shit reasoning for stuff, because we are MCU" and pretty much everything about the movie shouts average. The fights were fine. But overall, a one time watch at best.
Was expecting lot of dwelling on the multiverse and some sort of continuation of what Dr Strange did in NWH. But it seems this was designed like a standalone movie of sorts. Basically Dr. Strange 2 and nothing more.
There will definitely be more multiverse stuff.

It was ok... a bit all over the place though.

I feel like there was a whole film / TV series before this film - mainly that focused on Scarlett Witch's heel turn (which was a bit rushed for me - didn't we just see her feel terrible about enslaving an entire community and freeing them? So now she's perfectly happy straight up murdering folk?) and gave a bit more of an introduction to Chavez (Hey this girl can travel the multiverse! because...reasons!.... and now she's on a bus!).

In general I feel Chavez was a bit underserved in terms of a character arc - and was more there just to be the macguffin - so much so that what was the key to being able to control her powers? Believing in herself of course!
That's exactly the problem with Wanda's arc. The reason they give here is the book she read, the darkhold.

Drifter

American
‘Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness’ conjures up £14.9m for highest UK-Ireland opening since December

Disney blockbuster Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness has topped the UK-Ireland box office with a £14.9m three-day opening weekend – the highest in the territory since Spider-Man: No Way Home in December 2021.

Multiverse recorded the fourth-highest opening weekend ever for a Marvel film, behind only No Way Home, Avengers Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.

It also took a huge £4.8m on its Thursday release day – just behind the £4.89m Thursday of No Time To Die from September 2021.

Norman Brownbutter

You haven't seen WandaVision which came out last year?
Yeah, I did. That’s where the imaginary kids came from. That’s where the stupidity started. “They’ll never know what you sacrificed” was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard, not just in tv or film but in life.
Having those kids show up in alternate universes was as dumb as when Vic Fontaine turned up as a real live boy in the mirror universe in ds9. Made up hologram in one universe, but in the other a real person…stupid.

decorativeed

Yeah, I did. That’s where the imaginary kids came from. That’s where the stupidity started. “They’ll never know what you sacrificed” was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard, not just in tv or film but in life.
Having those kids show up in alternate universes was as dumb as when Vic Fontaine turned up as a real live boy in the mirror universe in ds9. Made up hologram in one universe, but in the other a real person…stupid.
Woman flying around zapping people with glowing red orbs and an alternate dimension made of paint = fine.

Woman - orphaned as a child, and who in recent years lost her twin brother - is tortured by memories of her brief time with her own family = stupid.

Gotcha.

Norman Brownbutter

Woman flying around zapping people with glowing red orbs and an alternate dimension made of paint = fine.

Woman - orphaned as a child, and who in recent years lost her twin brother - is tortured by memories of her brief time with her own family = stupid.

Gotcha.
Good, Im glad I was clear.

Next week, we get a movie about a kid waking up after a wet dream about a popular cheer leader. Then we watch him shooting up the school for 2 hours because he loved wearing her underpants and now he can't. And that made him sad. They'll just throw in a paint universe and some red energy balls to balance it out, it'll be fine...

stevoc

Pretty impressed that there's wheelchair access on Titan to be honest.
Disabled access on Titan is crap it's probably one of the reasons their society collapsed. Charles has it covered though it's a hoverchair.

Hamnat

Just finished it finally. I liked it. Wanda's motivation was clear with Wanda Vision. It was perfectly set up. They perfectly stuck with anyone reading the Darkhold will pay a price.
She took it in Wanda Vision as a newbie and it appropriately warped her.

I thought the illuminati could have put up more fight. First intro of Reed I would have expected more. It's not his film I get it. But, a showcase on this guy is the smartest guy in any room.

I don't like America in the comics so she's a meh character to me. I wanted them to get Billy and Tommy back to 616 already.

Unam333

Just finished it finally. I liked it. Wanda's motivation was clear with Wanda Vision. It was perfectly set up. They perfectly stuck with anyone reading the Darkhold will pay a price.
She took it in Wanda Vision as a newbie and it appropriately warped her.

I thought the illuminati could have put up more fight. First intro of Reed I would have expected more. It's not his film I get it. But, a showcase on this guy is the smartest guy in any room.

I don't like America in the comics so she's a meh character to me. I wanted them to get Billy and Tommy back to 616 already.
I really liked it. Definitely need to watch WandaVision though. Her wanting to have her own family makes perfect sense to me: she's having dreams about it every night, plus she's corrupted by the Darkhold. I feel her pain and grieve.

Elizabeth Olsen was great in this one. I actually wanted Wanda, I mean, Scarlet Witch to win, because I didn't really care about America Chavez. A girl with amazing powers randomly pops up in the Marvel universe without any background story.

The cameos were all great as well. I instantly recognized all characters. Pity they had so little screentime.

So, we can conclude that Scarlet Witch is the strongest Avenger in the Marvel cinematic universe, followed by Doctor Strange and Captain America of Thor.

Score 8

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I really liked it. Definitely need to watch WandaVision though. Her wanting to have her own family makes perfect sense to me: she's having dreams about it every night, plus she's corrupted by the Darkhold. I feel her pain and grieve.

Elizabeth Olsen was great in this one. I actually wanted Wanda, I mean, Scarlet Witch to win, because I didn't really care about America Chavez. A girl with amazing powers randomly pops up in the Marvel universe without any background story.

The cameos were all great as well. I instantly recognized all characters. Pity they had so little screentime.

So, we can conclude that Scarlet Witch is the strongest Avenger in the Marvel cinematic universe, followed by Doctor Strange and Captain America of Thor.

Score 8
Captain America???? Not by a longshot. You forgot Hulk and Captain Marvel. The rest are just cannon fodder, except possibly Spiderman.

Unam333

Captain America???? Not by a longshot. You forgot Hulk and Captain Marvel. The rest are just cannon fodder, except possibly Spiderman.
Sorry, i mixed the heroes names up (yes, really). I meant Denver's Captain Marvel.
I even think Thor is stronger than the Hulk. Marvel nerfed movie Hulk too much. Fricking hell, Hulk didn't even get a proper rematch against Thanos.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

So, we can conclude that Scarlet Witch is the strongest Avenger in the Marvel cinematic universe, followed by Doctor Strange
While Scarlet Witch maybe the strongest, Dr. Strange was made so weak in this movie and it seemed on purpose. This is Dr. Strange who fought a 4-stone Thanos on Titan. He could hardly pack a proper punch in the whole movie.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
While Scarlet Witch maybe the strongest, Dr. Strange was made so weak in this movie and it seemed on purpose. This is Dr. Strange who fought a 4-stone Thanos on Titan. He could hardly pack a proper punch in the whole movie.
It really pissed me off how Dr Strange was nerfed all of a sudden, while Wanda was made way more powerful. I don't understand Marvel's need to shove Wanda being the most powerful down our necks.

RedDevil@84

It really pissed me off how Dr Strange was nerfed all of a sudden, while Wanda was made way more powerful. I don't understand Marvel's need to shove Wanda being the most powerful down our necks.
Woman power :D

Waiting for Marvel to convince us that female Thor is better than the original Thor, and have an exact dialogue that spells it out.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
They do love a good nerfing those Marvel guys, especially after making the likes of Hawkeye, Star-Lord and War-Machine almost invincible. They could have done a lot more with Drax, who was probably nerfed most of all.

Shez

Woman power :D

Waiting for Marvel to convince us that female Thor is better than the original Thor, and have an exact dialogue that spells it out.
I mean Wanda is the strongest character out of them all in the comics (with the exception of Franklin Richards - reed Richards son - who has the same powers as her but can just change reality at a cosmic level (create entire new universes)
Comic scarlet witch can destroy any avenger head on (and an infinity stone less strange is pretty much canon fodder for her). Think the movie did a great job showing that

flameinthesun

Think I need to see this a second time but having had a week to digest it I don't think its a good "Marvel" film but I do like the film as a Sam Raimi film if that makes sense. From what I've read part of the reason they did reshoots was to add in more cameos and more marvel links because they thought Marvel fans would feel a bit short changed due to the hype about the multiverse and its ramifications for the MCU. I definitely feel the movie undewhelms as a Marvel film, but I did it enjoy the film. Bit of a weird one.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I mean Wanda is the strongest character out of them all in the comics (with the exception of Franklin Richards - reed Richards son - who has the same powers as her but can just change reality at a cosmic level (create entire new universes)
Comic scarlet witch can destroy any avenger head on (and an infinity stone less strange is pretty much canon fodder for her). Think the movie did a great job showing that
Most characters have a ridiculouly crazy power level in comics though so what you are saying it a bit irrelevant, especially when many of the Avengers are not given the power level that their comic book version has.

Wanda is also not the strongest beside Franklin, Old King Thor would stomp her.

kps88

Going on about power levels is kinda pointless anyway. They will always get nerfed or exaggerated based on what the story needs and I'm okay with that. In this case, Wanda had to be someone Strange and Wong could not handle or the movie wouldn't work. The horror aspect of it needed you to feel like the good guys were being chased by someone OP, otherwise there is no tension.

Shez

Most characters have a ridiculouly crazy power level in comics though so what you are saying it a bit irrelevant, especially when many of the Avengers are not given the power level that their comic book version has.

Wanda is also not the strongest beside Franklin, Old King Thor would stomp her.
Wanda remains overpowered due to her chaos magic. Unlike the other nerfed characters, they actually showed her reaching that first with holding off a thanos with the stones, and then complete reality warps in Wanda vision. With her getting hold of the dark hold, it’s not that big a stretch that she is OP compared to strange. Also the no more mutants incident… in theory a peak Wanda beats old king Thor by willing him powerless