Film Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Shez

Going on about power levels is kinda pointless anyway. They will always get nerfed or exaggerated based on what the story needs and I'm okay with that. In this case, Wanda had to be someone Strange and Wong could not handle or the movie wouldn't work. The horror aspect of it needed you to feel like the good guys were being chased by someone OP, otherwise there is no tension.
This. I loved it

decorativeed

It really pissed me off how Dr Strange was nerfed all of a sudden, while Wanda was made way more powerful. I don't understand Marvel's need to shove Wanda being the most powerful down our necks.
Probably to make her seem like a credible threat for this one film. Was it that hard to digest?

decorativeed

Going on about power levels is kinda pointless anyway. They will always get nerfed or exaggerated based on what the story needs and I'm okay with that. In this case, Wanda had to be someone Strange and Wong could not handle or the movie wouldn't work. The horror aspect of it needed you to feel like the good guys were being chased by someone OP, otherwise there is no tension.
Bingo. Pretty much every film like this has their heroes face up to a more powerful enemy or something strong enough that it could feasibly destroy them. Otherwise there's no stakes. And in a film like this where there's unlimited magic, a multiverse and time travel has been introduced, they really had to ramp up that threat.

Gazautd18

Watched it last night an thought it was a bit meh...
Wanda's reasoning for doing what she did didn't make sense?
Also... No mention of her real brother and not the imaginary kids?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I thought it was ok. Decent fun flick, doesn't really hold up to anything. The chase scene with Wanda limping made absolutely no sense, she's able to freeze and move people about like she did with Wong and fly off with him behind her but yet a minute after shredding the Illuminati she's just hobbling along after them like oh no they're getting away.

Reed Richards is the smartest man in the entire Marvel universe but decides it's a good idea to instantly tell Wanda exactly how Black Bolt can kill her for her to use against him.

They also did Black Bolt dirty, he's undergone a ridiculous amount of mental training so he never utters a sound even while asleep and can never be taken by surprise but yet his immediate reaction to Wanda sealing his mouth is to speak out loud and cave his head in.

The third eye looks really, really shit. Could and should have been so much better.

Prof X should have put up a fight inside Wandas mind. I get they had to show Wanda being so strong, but they could have had an actual battle of wits in there with Wanda being more powerful. Instead Charles is just a feeble old man dispatched with absolute ease.

Last edited:

Was somewhat disappointed. Not a huge fan of new, very strong, superheroes just popping up out of nowhere. I wish America Chavez had had a miniserie on Disney+ or had been in teased previous movies - just a mention or something. Also found the Wanda going all Sam Raimi evil went a little too fast. Could've used a little more build up. I have seen WandaVision but it still felt a little off for me.

Also I didn't quite buy the setup for the Illuminati. The whole setting, thrones and "looking down on" was just... ugh. But super cool too see John Krasinski. I avoid all spoilers possible so it was super unexpected to see him actually playing the role he has been fancast as for a long time. And Patrick Stewart of course. I hope the MCU treats the mutants well.

Was suprised to see that it has a 87% audience score on rotten. Would've put it somewhere around 65-70% in the low end myself.

Endgame burnout? I don't know. I enjoyed Shang-Chi A LOT and Far From Home and No Way Home are up there around my favorite MCU movies.

I do hope that the MCU finds some of the charisma and credibility from pre-Endgame again. There's still some movies coming out I have high hopes for.

decorativeed

I thought it was ok. Decent fun flick, doesn't really hold up to anything. The chase scene with Wanda limping made absolutely no sense, she's able to freeze and move people about like she did with Wong and fly off with him behind her but yet a minute after shredding the Illuminati she's just hobbling along after them like oh no they're getting away.

Reed Richards is the smartest man in the entire Marvel universe but decides it's a good idea to instantly tell Wanda exactly how Black Bolt can kill her for her to use against him.

They also did Black Bolt dirty, he's undergone a ridiculous amount of mental training so he never utters a sound even while asleep and can never be taken by surprise but yet his immediate reaction to Wanda sealing his mouth is to speak out loud and cave his head in.

The third eye looks really, really shit. Could and should have been so much better.

Prof X should have put up a fight inside Wandas mind. I get they had to show Wanda being so strong, but they could have had an actual battle of wits in there with Wanda being more powerful. Instead Charles is just a feeble old man dispatched with absolute ease.
Richards was introduced as 'the smartest man in the (that) world'. Maybe on that world everyone else is even more stupid?

Also, there's a fan theory going around that what you suggested about Prof X is exactly what happened - Wanda's fight with the Illuminati was projected into her mind in order to get her away from them and out of their universe.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
As usual with these movies, turn off your brain and set your expectations low, only then will you be able to enjoy it.
I have found a major issue between how Wandavision ended and what they did to her character for this.

mu4c_20le

I found the first one far more enjoyable. This one had a boring sidekick and villain... I love Wanda but this is the third or fourth time they used her for a villian, surely enough is enough. Mordo should've been given more screen time imo.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Richards was introduced as 'the smartest man in the (that) world'. Maybe on that world everyone else is even more stupid?

Also, there's a fan theory going around that what you suggested about Prof X is exactly what happened - Wanda's fight with the Illuminati was projected into her mind in order to get her away from them and out of their universe.
He's canonically the smartest man in the marvel universe though. And he acted like an idiot.

decorativeed

He's canonically the smartest man in the marvel universe though. And he acted like an idiot.
But this is just one universe within an infinite multiverse. If people can be made of paint in one universe, they can be thick as pigshit in another.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It was decent, a nice popcorn flick. Quite some achievement that they found a new Captain Marvel as intolerably smug and irritating as they first one.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It was decent, a nice popcorn flick. Quite some achievement that they found a new Captain Marvel as intolerably smug and irritating as they first one.
Just say you hate women and be done with it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Watched it on the weekend.

The America Chavez character was awful. Appears out of nowhere with some GOAT powers and all she had to do was ‘believe in herself’. Poor poor storytelling

Most of the phase 4 plots for Marvel have been really poor efforts. This was again. Considering the new ground they undertook with this movie it could have been really special, but it was crap.

Dr Strange went from one of the most powerful sorcerers to being a kids party magician.

Wanda’s motivation wasn’t all that truth be told. Thought she was good overall (apart from the mountain scenes which were crap).

Rachel McAdams is always great.

The Illuminati scene was nice.

Zombie Strange was so bizarre and out there that it kinda worked.

That’s it.

Overall, it was ok but nothing special.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
If he was talking about a character who is a male, you wouldn't have said he hates men
Beside the point. Brie Larson in particular gets a lot of hate from men online for daring to be a feminist.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Beside the point. Brie Larson in particular gets a lot of hate from men online for daring to be a feminist.
I know all of that but how does that relate to that post you initially ? Unless you are referencing to other things said by that member.
If not, I'll say it too, the 2 capain marvel ard very smug

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Beside the point. Brie Larson in particular gets a lot of hate from men everyone online for daring to be a feminist an up her own arse attention seeker.
That looks better. Being a feminist isn’t and never has been been Bries problem. Being an insufferably unlikeable attention seeker is. If James Corden was a woman, would you be able to say with a straight face that “daring to be feminist” was the reason everyone hates James? No. Because claiming sexism is the shield Brie hides behind. “It’s not because I’m a horribly unlikable person, it’s because I stand up to the patriarchy, you guys.”.

Most people love Anne Hathaway. She’s a feminist. Pretty outspoken one at that in a UN ambassador role. Not a lot of hate going on. Why? Not a cnut. And I also agree, both Captain Marvels were annoyingly smug. I believe if we all hated women we would have some questionable things to say about Captain Carter as well. But we don’t. Or at least I dont. Questionable writing aside, Olsen was fantastic as Wanda. And I didnt hate America Chavez, although her character was little more than a McMuffin McGuffin. Don’t really know anything about her other than she responds really well to motivational speeches from zombies.

The biggest issue with other Captain Marvel is that she died from a statue falling on her. What kind of nonsense is that? Writer must hate women…

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The biggest issue with other Captain Marvel is that she died from a statue falling on her. What kind of nonsense is that? Writer must hate women…
Yes didn’t understand this either. Isn’t Captain Marvel meant to be the strongest / most powerful in the MCU?

Norman Brownbutter

You picked one hell of an example there. She famously gets a lot of hate.
Ive never once seen her get hate for roles she takes. Seen her get shit for the oscars, but that was unfair because that was down to Franco being a knob. Never seen anything like the hate boner Larson gets aimed at Hathaway. Or anyone else for that matter other than Corden. Corden and Larson are the two I see getting the same level of hate. But hey, I don't spend every waking hour on the internet. I have an account here and reddit and thats it. Twitter, instagram, TikTok, etc I have no part of.

Did a quick google and it seems you're right. She's very marmite. But not for her feminism. Seems people people thought she was rude, cringe and making everything about her at award shows. Personally, I think thats unfair. She worked hard to get her achievements why shouldn't she enjoy the fruits of all that hard work?

But yes, clearly that was in deed a terrible example. Its been 6 years, but there was a lot of hate for her. Oh well, not all my posts can be winners. :D

Norman Brownbutter

Yes didn’t understand this either. Isn’t Captain Marvel meant to be the strongest / most powerful in the MCU?
Yeah, I mean its a different character but they are supposed to have the same life experience. Just that Maria took the test flight instead of Carol. And since Carol can fly through space ships, it seems weird that Maria would be undone by a falling statue. Of course, its even weirder that Carter and Maria stood and watched Reed getting spaghettied and did nothing. But not as weird as Wanda using her mind to dispatch Black Bolt and Reed, while doing hand to hand with Carter and Maria. But hey, its a comic book movie. Turn your brain off, I guess.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
That looks better. Being a feminist isn’t and never has been been Bries problem. Being an insufferably unlikeable attention seeker is. If James Corden was a woman, would you be able to say with a straight face that “daring to be feminist” was the reason everyone hates James? No. Because claiming sexism is the shield Brie hides behind. “It’s not because I’m a horribly unlikable person, it’s because I stand up to the patriarchy, you guys.”.

Most people love Anne Hathaway. She’s a feminist. Pretty outspoken one at that in a UN ambassador role. Not a lot of hate going on. Why? Not a cnut. And I also agree, both Captain Marvels were annoyingly smug. I believe if we all hated women we would have some questionable things to say about Captain Carter as well. But we don’t. Or at least I dont. Questionable writing aside, Olsen was fantastic as Wanda. And I didnt hate America Chavez, although her character was little more than a McMuffin McGuffin. Don’t really know anything about her other than she responds really well to motivational speeches from zombies.

Good point, however the entire post is null and void for the simple fact that the hate brie larson receives only started when she said a wrinkle in time isn't a film for white men. From then on was she a controversial figure. Had she always been seen as "unlikeable" and "smug" then fair enough. But that's not the case at all, these apparent traits of hers only started when she made those comments then stared as Captain Marvel, a film about a strong women.

It's not a coincidence.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Good point, however the entire post is null and void for the simple fact that the hate brie larson receives only started when she said a wrinkle in time isn't a film for white men. From then on was she a controversial figure. Had she always been seen as "unlikeable" and "smug" then fair enough. But that's not the case at all, these apparent traits of hers only started when she made those comments then stared as Captain Marvel, a film about a strong women.

It's not a coincidence.
So in your mind everyone who dislikes her performance in Captain Marvel is only hating on her because of something you've read online and twitter arguments?

kps88

My theory is society is able to digest arrogance/cockiness from a man a bit better than from a woman. And that translates to entertainment as well. We cheer when Tony Stark calls himself a billionaire playboy philanthropist but I bet it wouldn't play the same if that came from a female actor.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
My theory is society is able to digest arrogance/cockiness from a man a bit better than from a woman. And that translates to entertainment as well. We cheer when Tony Stark calls himself a billionaire playboy philanthropist but I bet it wouldn't play the same if that came from a female actor.
Yeah I can see that. Robert Downey Jr pulls that smug arrogance off exceptionally well too in fairness, not many can be compared favourably to him in that department.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
So in your mind everyone who dislikes her performance in Captain Marvel is only hating on her because of something you've read online and twitter arguments?
Nope and not the point being made at all is it?

Gazautd18

True..
But Tony Stark did have the life changing realisation that he was a dick and turned his life around.
Think it remains to be seen whether that happens with Captain Marvel.
(btw I also thought they were a bit...I don't want to say smug...but I didn't really care for the character. I watched the film again a couple of weeks ago and just thought it was there to tick boxes for political correctness.And I don't hate women. Thing is, when I heard there was a Captain Marvel film I initially thought it was the original Captain Marvel who was a bloke so was plesantly surprised to see it was Ms. Marvel - Carol Danvers who I preferred in the comics!)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Last edited: