Documentary - The United Way

Tiber

Cantona hosts the documentary and helped to write it. Of course it's Cantona centric.

Not really sure why people are getting worked up about it

acnumber9

Cantona hosts the documentary and helped to write it. Of course it's Cantona centric.

Not really sure why people are getting worked up about it
His sending off against Palace was treated with more melancholy and attention than the Munich air crash was. At best it’s a touch distasteful, at worst it’s an ego trip of the greatest degree.

It’s fine to make a documentary about yourself if that’s your thing, just don’t call it the United Way and make it seem like the most historic and memorable thing about Manchester United is the four and half years you spent at the club. If it had been called The Cantona way it wouldn’t have made as much money though. I half expected his head to be superimposed on Solskjaer’s body in Barcelona.

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
It's what it is - saw some unseen stuff in it which is always good.

There is nothing really new in it but it was worth a watch.

Cast5

It was a very good documentary.

Makes me laugh when I see online “United fans” mock our history and the United way, just sad people who don’t know anything about our club and our history. There’s certain people who will never understand. I Loved Eric’s involvement, thought he was brilliant.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What it also proved was that Keys and Thompson were utter bell ends way back

The Oracle

I thought it was a good watch. The star of the show was Cantona.

It was interesting when he said, "We won the league 4 times in the 5 years I was there, and the year we didn't win it I was banned."

He was a massive part of United's history to be fair.

Inigo Montoya

I thought it was a good watch. The star of the show was Cantona.

It was interesting when he said, "We won the league 4 times in the 5 years I was there, and the year we didn't win it I was banned."

He was a massive part of United's history to be fair.
That incident cast a shadow over our season and we didn’t really recover. Losing to Everton as well was a kick in the nuts

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Do people in here realise how big an impact Cantona had on our club?? :confused: :confused: :houllier:

Some very bizarre reactions to a well made documentary.

Tiber

His sending off against Palace was treated with more melancholy and attention than the Munich air crash was. At best it’s a touch distasteful, at worst it’s an ego trip of the greatest degree.

It’s fine to make a documentary about yourself if that’s your thing, just don’t call it the United Way and make it seem like the most historic and memorable thing about Manchester United is the four and half years you spent at the club. If it had been called The Cantona way it wouldn’t have made as much money though. I half expected his head to be superimposed on Solskjaer’s body in Barcelona.
Each to their own, but I'm not sure I understand why it bothered you so much.

Especially the Munich bit. I thought it was handled with respect. Even if you expected the entire documentary to focus on Munich, I don't see how it could be called distasteful.

I was a kid for much of what this documentary covered, to me the great United team will always be 2008, with fond memories of watching the 99 final with my family. But the focus on Cantona didn't surprise or bother me

Champ

Especially the Munich bit. I thought it was handled with respect. Even if you expected the entire documentary to focus on Munich, I don't see how it could be called distasteful.

I was a kid for much of what this documentary covered, to me the great United team will always be 2008, with fond memories of watching the 99 final with my family. But the focus on Cantona didn't surprise or bother me
I agree, I thought the Munich disaster was covered beautifully.

The docu is called the United Way, it's about the birth of how United are meant to play football.

That started with Sir Matt and was only carried on when Sir Alex joined.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Interesting that's it's out around the same time as the fergie one
Fergie’s absence was very conspicuous throughout.

So was Keane’s because I’m pretty sure he’s not going to be in the Fergie one either...

In terms of it being about The United Way, I think they got the ending right. Of course it misses the 2008 Champions League final and the other league titles we won after 1999 but that 90s period was unique and the treble closed it out perfectly.

You look at what City and Liverpool have done over the past few seasons (before this one) in terms of the points they’ve won the league with, or the numerous players who have been technically better than Cantona, but I wouldn’t swap what we had back then for anything.

redmanx

I think this documentary should stop at ferguson. Everything after him has been a shitshow, give or take.
Without wanting to spoil it, it takes United up to The Treble but no further. I enjoyed it, theres little that most United supporters wont have seen before but some great stuff from Eric Cantona, stuff hes probably never said before, at least I havent heard it! It starts with Sir Matt but, as with so many documentaries about United, the great Jimmy Murphy is hardly mentioned, not even during Munich when he single handedly "kept the flag flying" as Busby asked him too. Jimmy Murphy was vital to Uniteds success both before and after Munich but, to the lasting shame of the Club and certain leading figures within, both living and dead, until recently he and his part in our history have been largely ignored. Jimmy Murphy deserves to be remembered alongside Sir Matt Busby, not as a foot note to his success.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Watched this yesterday, wasn't too much in it that I wasn't aware of already but a good watch

Feel Fergie's documentary will be better

acnumber9

Because I thought a documentary called The United Way may be a little bit more about that and less of a self serving ego trip for one player.

Each to their own if they enjoy watching Cantona eulogise about himself.

SirAF

Ageist
Because I thought a documentary called The United Way may be a little bit more about that and less of a self serving ego trip for one player.

It's Cantona, of course we will!

Inigo Montoya

Yes are you always this picky? Was a little video I'd never sen before but it didn't tell us anything we didn't know.
Not picky but you contradicted your self. Besides there is a generation of younger fans to whom that was a whole history lesson so give us a break eh?
It was fun and entertaining

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Not picky but you contradicted your self. Besides there is a generation of younger fans to whom that was a whole history lesson so give us a break eh?
It was fun and entertaining
Get off your high horse and go bother someone else. Give us a break eh?

acnumber9

Do people in here realise how big an impact Cantona had on our club?? :confused: :confused: :houllier:

Some very bizarre reactions to a well made documentary.
Bigger than Alex Ferguson according to this documentary.

Inigo Montoya

The most influential player in our recent history and up there with SAF, Busby and the Holy Trinity.

I’ll take him eulogising every day of the week, thanks

Inigo Montoya

That’s your perception but you’re entitled to it. The documentary never alluded to that. I don’t get why you’ve taken it so seriously and are being rather reductive about what a figure Cantona is in our history

Champ

Where in the dcoumentary did it say that? Sir Alex got a huge section dedicated to him, also when you have Sir Alex exclaiming that United wouldn't have won the league without Cantona then it shows you the importance that the King had on our club.

Genuinely confused about what you got out of a well made film!

acnumber9

The most influential player in our recent history and up there with SAF, Busby and the Holy Trinity.

I’ll take him eulogising every day of the week, thanks
He played in a world class team. You’d think he dragged a group of no hopers to glory. Our greatest ever keeper? He’s interviewed about Eric Cantona. Paul Scholes and Roy Keane? Never heard of them. Our great team in the 00’s aren’t even worth mentioning. He’s nowhere nears as important as Ferguson or Busby. He was one great player in a sea of them.

You’re entitled to love whatever you want and everybody else is entitled to think what they want. I thought it was a vanity project for Eric Cantona. That’s fine, but name it accordingly.

acnumber9

That’s your perception but you’re entitled to it. The documentary never alluded to that. I don’t get why you’ve taken it so seriously and are being rather reductive about what a figure Cantona is in our history
Is he such a huge figure in our history that half a documentary supposedly about Man United is about Eric Cantona? Not even close. My issue is what it’s sold as and I find the Cantona schtick a little self serving. For somebody that claims to love United so much how often has he been back to Old Trafford?

acnumber9

Where in the dcoumentary did it say that? Sir Alex got a huge section dedicated to him, also when you have Sir Alex exclaiming that United wouldn't have won the league without Cantona then it shows you the importance that the King had on our club.

Genuinely confused about what you got out of a well made film!
That huge section was probably about a fifth of the time Cantona got. And most of the air time for Alex Ferguson was also about Cantona.

I didn’t want to watch a documentary aboutEric Cantona waxing lyrical about himself. I wanted to watch a documentary about Man United. What’s difficult to understand?

Maticmaker

A documentary 'too far' for me!

Of course it was' Eric centred,' he wrote it, but it adds little (in my mind) to what we already know. It was respectful to various stand out matters, but as others have said missed out on the Jimmy Murphy contribution.
We've had 'Never give up' and is it one, or two or three books from SAF? 'The Class of 92,' and various other contributions, and now 'The United Way' and all valid in their way, but all looking backwards!

Nothing, in my mind at least, beats the book "The Day a Team Died" (Frank Taylor) to emphasize 'The United Way' the pain of Munich and the start of the recovery.

Lets have something about moving forward, the next pinnacle of success to be achieved, what does the future hold...over to you Joel!!

Champ

That huge section was probably about a fifth of the time Cantona got. And most of the air time for Alex Ferguson was also about Cantona.

I didn’t want to watch a documentary aboutEric Cantona waxing lyrical about himself. I wanted to watch a documentary about Man United. What’s difficult to understand?
I didn't get that from it personally.

I got a good take on moments in history which created the fabric of the club. Which is what the documentary was about.

One of which was Cantona, he along with Sir Alex changed the mentality of the club at that time, and helped create it into a winning machine.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I would have liked a bit more time dedicated to Tommy Doc's team of the mid 70's, and also a few more revelations that might not have been common knowledge.