Dodging a Bullet thread

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

We've made some horrendous choices in the market. Especially when Fergie was here. I am glad we avoided Dier though. He looked decent as a youngster but he seemingly has the intelligence of a parsnip

vodrake

Pretty much any midfielder we were linked to in that period a few years ago where fans were just desperate for us to sign basically anyone for the position

Yohan Cabaye
Kevin Strootman
Yann M'Vila
Geoffery Kondogbia
Grzegorz Krychowiak
Steven Nzonzi

acolyte

Zoltan Gera
Aldo Duscher
Lucas Biglia (we were linked to him in 2016 as a 30 Yo :houllier:)
Sean Longstaff (what could they possibly have been thinking???)

Annouchez

Although he would of probably done well to a certain extent I’m going to say Perisic due to how that would of affected players like Shaw under Mourinho at the time. I remember reading at the time Jose wanted him to play LWB.

Although we weren’t in for him like that I really was hating on Liverpool when they signed Minamino.

If Bluemoon had this same thread they will say Alexis Sanchez… and unfortunately… Fred. I wonder if Pep could of made something more out of them.

Robertd0803

I reckon Griezmann at the time for us would have been immense. Barca was a shocking move for him professionally.
Strootman pre injury would have been ideal for LVG.

Recently Danny Rose and Dier.
Josh King. Ighalo ended up being more useful.
Eriksen before his move to Inter.
Dybala I reckon would have been Di Maria all over again.

Josh 76

Zoltan Gera
Aldo Duscher
Can someone find any Longstaff threads on here please. Would be hilarious!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
David Hirst. Pretty good striker, mind, but his body started falling apart the time Fergie made offers for him. Then, one little call from Leeds...
Hirst would have been as good as shearer if not for the injuries. Boy could he spank a ball

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Koulibaly for me, never understood the hype for him. Anyway seems the hype has died and with it Napoli's astronomical valuation.
Agreed. The overhype on this guy reached new levels and his club owner thought he could cash in. Well his golden cow had a very short time at the top before regressing

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Willian is a huge one. Didn't Mourinho want to swap him for Martial? I know Martial hasn't exactly lived up to his potential but still, that would have been awful.

Robertd0803

Agreed. The overhype on this guy reached new levels and his club owner thought he could cash in. Well his golden cow had a very short time at the top before regressing
Yeah, he would be lucky to get a fraction of that value now. Should have sold when they had multiple chances and they would have been minimum 60 million better off.

Chairman Steve

Jerome Boateng in the Jose days. I think we were desperate because we got rebuffed on Maguire at Leicester the first time?

Also Fabio Coentrao in the Summer 2013 window, where we got a cruise missile direct hit for Fellaini.

Yorke to Cole

There was lots of hype over Jack Rodwell after he scored against us for in a win for Everton.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I reckon Griezmann at the time for us would have been immense. Barca was a shocking move for him professionally.
Strootman pre injury would have been ideal for LVG.

Recently Danny Rose and Dier.
Josh King. Ighalo ended up being more useful.
Eriksen before his move to Inter.
Dybala I reckon would have been Di Maria all over again.
It scary to think home much Levy could have got from us for Rose,Dier and Alli if he was any way reasonable.

Sometimes cashing out is a good idea.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There’s been so many.
Zoltan Gera
Aldo Duscher
Isn’t he the guy who broke Beckham’s foot? I don’t remember us ever being linked to him.

In recent years the Bournemouth trio of King, Brooks & Fraser come to mind. Morata is another shout. Sean Longstaff, not even the best midfielder in his family yet we were willing to pay over 30m for him.

Pretty much everyone mourinho wanted, Dier, Rose, Willian, Arnautovic, Issa Diop, Boateng...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It scary to think home much Levy could have got from us for Rose,Dier and Alli if he was any way reasonable.

Sometimes cashing out is a good idea.
In a pre covid market for 2 England starters, honestly probably about 120m. I remember Dier being quoted as high as 80m at times. He was seen how Declan Rice is now about 4 years ago. Rose was 40-50. Scary.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Weren’t we heavily linked to thomas vermahlen at one point.

that guy makes Phil Jones injury record look decent.

acolyte

There’s been so many.

Isn’t he the guy who broke Beckham’s foot? I don’t remember us ever being linked to him.

In recent years the Bournemouth trio of King, Brooks & Fraser come to mind. Morata is another shout. Sean Longstaff, not even the best midfielder in his family yet we were willing to pay over 30m for him.

Pretty much everyone mourinho wanted, Dier, Rose, Willian, Arnautovic, Issa Diop, Boateng...
I think it was in the mid to late 2000s. https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2366690/united-back-in-for-duscher

The player admitted it himself a few years ago.

youmeletsfly

I'd shout a few as well:
- Maddison - overrated as hell
- Dybala - was good for Palermo and had a decent season in Juventus, but since then he's stealing a living
- Leighton Baines
- Aaron Ramsey

Tallis

We had quite a few odd ones during Mou’s tenure - Seri, Mina, Willian, Kluivert (the son), many more.

Interval

Level
Koulibaly for the valuation touted

Caf was also obsessed by the idea of Otammendi playing here. Some gif of him man marking Messi kept surfacing

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'm sure this was just us thinking we could get him for £10-15 million like Dan James and Newcastle said they wanted £50 million.

On this topic, Ron Vlaar and Bruno Martins-Indi when LVG joined (although I'm not sure we fared much better with Rojo).