Dodging a Bullet thread

colombianmancunian

I know this is not the thread for this but he's got 2 goals and 4 assists in 6 starts this season. 13 assists and a goal in the league in 15 starts last season. This is not just aimed at you, but most people here who talk about Dembele haven't been watching him play since Xavi took over last season.
Also, isn't it worth considering that if you think there are Dembelievers, which means there are many people saying Dembele is playing well, there could be a reason behind it? Or did so many of us just pick a random name and decided to sing his praises?
If he stays out of injuries, big if, and he can keep the right mentality, he can be useful. But he is hasn’t justified his price tag… and some people are comparing him to fecking Pele on his thread FFS. That’s why I talk about Dembelievers.

BTW I think that if he was a United player, with all his issues, the same lot that overrates him, would classify him as deadwood. It’s so typical of the caf to over hype other team’s players.

Last edited:

acolyte

There was a time when this forum was absolutely drooling for James McCarthy, around the time Roberto Martinez was doing well with Everton and our best midfielder was Fellaini.

Washed out of Everton and Crystal Palace (I know he had an injury) and now playing in the SPL. Still only 31.

Lynty

Grealish
Pepe
Saul Niguez
Ziyech
Griezmann
Malcolm
Ndombélé

so many players we were linked to and people were desperate for us to get them who were terrible or just not worth the money paid.
I'd still take Grealish. Never for £100m - but wouldve took him for Sancho money.

dinostar77

Two spring to mind for very different reasons:

1) Steven Defour - Seemed to follow the transfer chase of Van Nistlerooy, talented young player in Europe on brink of a move here, gets a big injury, Ferguson writes a letter. Never saw him play until he was at burnley and may have been a result of the injuries.....but he wasnt very good at all

2) Paul Gascoigne - Probably the most talented English player I have ever seen, an absolute joy to watch in his pomp. Seen so many comments about "Just think what he could have been under the strict stewardship of Ferguson"....well Ferguson was of course a brilliant man manager, but my gut instinct is as brilliant a player and as brilliant a man manager Ferguson was.....it would have went horribly wrong if he came here and maybe even possilby affected the squad building at the time negatively
Dont agree with gazza. Fergie could have made him into a balon dor winner. Still the greatest talent england have ever produced. Shame it was wasted.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Arnautovic and Rabiot! :D

Edit: But if we're talking real talent, probably De Ligt. I think people still rate him much higher than they should. He's not reliable and every match you're just waiting for his inevitable mistake. Was class at Ajax though.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Thomas Müller. Love the guy but he is so special in his characteristics I'm not sure United could have used his strengths so he could flourish. His flaws are at an horrendous level.

Toni Kroos would have worked out if you accepted him as a Michael Carrick but he would have failed miserably if you tried to use him as a Gerrard, lacks the legs.

jesperjaap

Dont agree with gazza. Fergie could have made him into a balon dor winner. Still the greatest talent england have ever produced. Shame it was wasted.
Not doubting his ability and performances in several spells in his career even when apst his best he excelled at times at Rangers. Withoug a doubt the best player we have produced in my lifetime....

I just think the belief Ferguson could have tamed the mental problems and disruptive toxic problems he brings is too strong. I think Ferguson would have moved him on and if we did sign Gazza....and if he did sign him, would we have gone in the same direction, was at the end of the 80s....would we have signed Ince who for me was a fantastic player here for us during his spell, would we have signed Keane, you just never know how future activity would go with certain signings, just like sign David Hirst....dont sign Cantona

We will never know, he could well have gone on to be a multuple individual and team award/trophy winnder, we may have been an even better team than the first great side Ferguson built, but Ince and Keane were two very different players to Gascoigne of course but both for me are in the best five central midfielders we have had here in the forty years + I have supported the club, that is why I feel all things considered, despite the huge natural ability, we may well have worked out better missing out on him

CarbonStoolBites

Thomas Müller. Love the guy but he is so special in his characteristics I'm not sure United could have used his strengths so he could flourish. His flaws are at an horrendous level.

Toni Kroos would have worked out if you accepted him as a Michael Carrick but he would have failed miserably if you tried to use him as a Gerrard, lacks the legs.
We were going to use him as a Fred, mate.

ShinjiNinja26

Darwin Donkey. Thank feck we missed out on that streak of piss. We could’ve potentially spent a combined £165m on him and Maguire! *Shudders* That doesn’t bear thinking about. :houllier:

Monks_United

99% of the French midfielders everyone was creaming themselves about at some point in the past including Pogba, oh wait :nervous: ...............................

kthanksbye

If he stays out of injuries, big if, and he can keep the right mentality, he can be useful. But he is hasn’t justified his price tag… and some people are comparing him to fecking Pele on his thread FFS. That’s why I talk about Dembelievers.

BTW I think that if he was a United player, with all his issues, the same lot that overrates him, would classify him as deadwood. It’s so typical of the caf to over hype other team’s players.
I get where you're coming from. But his price tag isn't his evaluation, no player needs to be evaluated on how they justify an agreement two clubs reach to. Pele comparisons are obviously silly and I don't see how anyone should take that seriously.

Don't know about the others, but deep down one of the reasons I like him is because he reminds me of Nani, and I absolutely loved Nani. He could be having a stinker but he'll never hide, he'll keep doing what he's there to do as an attacking winger, which is try to create chances, by dribbling passing or shooting. A lot of our players hide, which is when I call them deadwood, I'd never call Dembele deadwood.

dinostar77

Crazy to think we offered £84mil for him under van gaal and bayern said no.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...n-gaal-snub-transfer-2014-215-lisa-bundesliga

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Saul last summer. We desperately needed a cm and he would have been a downgrade on McFred.

Grealish (not a bullet dodged) would have been perfect for us. Perfect for that Ole team anyway that was crying out for someone with skill to unlock defences when teams were sitting in.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Dark times when we were linked with him and Southgate
On Southgate, when i read it in the papers i was really mad, i felt let down by the club as a fan tbh.

Why is he still England's Manager, Surely this would be his last year a the job if he doesn't win the world cup?

Trequarista10

There was a time when this forum was absolutely drooling for James McCarthy, around the time Roberto Martinez was doing well with Everton and our best midfielder was Fellaini.

Washed out of Everton and Crystal Palace (I know he had an injury) and now playing in the SPL. Still only 31.
Iirc he was one of many British/Home Nations CMs around that time that were like the first wave of more technical, possession focused British CMs that were different to the 90s box-to-box, gung ho types. McCarthy, Cleverley, Shelvey, Lansbury, Wilshere, Winks, Rodwell, McEachran, Carroll, Hughes, RLC etc - all seemed to represent a change in development/style, but none were at the same level as the players from elsewhere of a similiar style.

Classical Mechanic

Jean Michel Seri was touted as the African Xavi at one point. You often hear 'Championship level' flung at players in abuse but this lad actually turned out to be Championship level.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

Kamara, the cafsexuals were obsessed with him this summer.
Because he would have been so bad on a free transfer. He’s been good for Villa and now just had a horrible injury. Look at the Villa fans, they’re all raving about him.

Also there was no evidence at that point that United were going to spend 60m on Casemiro.

MUnchies

Grealish, for the amount that we would have had to spend alone.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
So far in last summer's transfer window:

Nunez
Rabiot
Kante
Giving Pogba or Lingard a contract

Any more?

Chief123

Missing out on Nunez is potentially the most lethal bullet we’ve ever dodged considering how much he would have cost.