Does anybody else feel Paolo Dybala is overrated?

Nick.

I have been thinking this for some time now and I saw somebody else say that in the Cristiano Ronaldo Juventus thread. I have been thinking this for some time. I also saw that questions are being asked among Juventus fans, although it seems the majority still like him based on this reddit thread but I still found it interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Juve/comments/at1brv/how_good_is_dybala_really/

I honestly just don't think he is as good as people say, and when I've seen him in the Champion's League he doesn't seem to impact the game the way you would expect given how people talk about him.

He has three league goals in a weak league like Serie A with a team far stronger than any of the competition.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/114863/MatchStatistics/Paulo-Dybala

I accept that it might just be me who thinks this but I am curious to see what this site thinks of him.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
No, I think he's a wonderful talent, a rare breed in modern football where there's too much emphasis on physicality.

Okey

Erm...I don't think he's overrated at all. Maybe under utilized. I think he's a special talent and potential game changer in the right team.

Charles Miller

He is not overrated at all. He is one of the most talented players in the world imo. I think his problem is similar to what happen with Coutinho, their natural positions do not exist in the football anymore, so you need to adapt the system to suit them. If we were in those times of 4-4-2 Dybala would be a fantastic second striker like Bebeto.

Zoo

He was Juve's best player against United.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
How highly do people rate him? For me he is in the tier below world class.

AfroBuffalo

I think he's good & would prefer him over, say, Hazard. He's quite selfless & is happy assisting the team to win, as opposed to being the scorer all the time. Brilliant technically aswell.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Erm...I don't think he's overrated at all. Maybe under utilized. I think he's a special talent and potential game changer in the right team.
Agree. Dybala has everything to be one of the best in the world and he already perforned accordingly. He was at 10 goals and in 6 games at the beginning of the last season. Many of them longshots or volleys IIRC. He's got such a clean shooting technique on top of very good control. IIRC his freekick conversion rate is also excellent. Great player but I don't think Allegri gets the best out of him.

Still think Dybala could be a great 8, too.

Jacob

I don't rate him at all. I prefer Lingard over him. Serie A is a soft league, he'd be found out anywhere else.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's not. He has a reputation as a very good player and he's one. He's brilliant and linking midfield and attack.
He's be excellent in the Lingard role.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A great 2nd striker, not so good out wide. They've had to shift him about to accomodate Ronaldo, and it's just not working.

He could walk into the premier league and be a star though i'm sure.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I don't rate him at all. I prefer Lingard over him. Serie A is a soft league, he'd be found out anywhere else.
:houllier: To each their own & all, but dear me.

thepolice123

He a bit like James Rodriguez I feel. If he is born in another era he'd would have a bigger reputation. They are best played in the classic #10 position but the modern game cannot accomodate such a player.

Cait Sith

Same category as Isco. Talented player which can only be used in a very specific role/position. Not fast enough on the wing, not an out and out striker, not creative enough as an attacking midfielder. Has to be played as a goalscoring #10/second striker. Not worth it for most teams, Juventus is basically the perfect fit.

cyberman

I would too. He's too slow to play as a false 9 and his movement isn't as good as Lingard to substitute roles.
If this were 2002 I would have him all day but the movement needed across the front line today is more important than what you can do on the ball.
He is Coutinho mark 2 imo.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
He a bit like James Rodriguez I feel. If he is born in another era he'd would have a bigger reputation. They are best played in the classic #10 position but the modern game cannot accomodate such a player.
Where does this bollocks come from? I've seen it suggested by many people, so please don't think I'm calling you out on it as I know it's a widely held opinion... But really now, there's absolutely no way in modern football to play a #10? Why? What on earth has changed so much in the past year or two to render the likes of Dybala, Ozil & Coutinho obsolete?

Jacob

Lingard is on par with Dybala in terms of goals and assists with less games played in a tougher league this season.

Juventus is men against boys 90% of the games. Dybala also only delivers at home.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Lingard is on par with Dybala in terms of goals and assists with less games played in a tougher league this season.

Juventus is men against boys 90% of the games. Dybala also only delivers at home.
Juve are playing him out of position to accommodate an aging Ronaldo, & their football is more pragmatic & defensively minded than United's was under Jose. Juve have been poor the majority of the season, regardless of what the league table tells you.

Mcking

I would too. He's too slow to play as a false 9 and his movement isn't as good as Lingard to substitute roles.
If this were 2002 I would have him all day but the movement needed across the front line today is more important than what you can do on the ball.
I have always said he is Coutinho level at best.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
If he's Coutinho mark 2 that would still make him a vastly superior footballer to Jesse Lingard.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I have always said he is Coutinho level at best.
& Coutinho has performed a level or two above Lingard for both us & Barcelona. Granted, it's not going his way right now, but that's due to a manager not playing to his strengths in the slightest.

I really would like to know why the modern game is no longer suited to the classic #10. I just don't get it at all. It seems to be something that's happened in the last 1-2 seasons at most.

Edit: Doesn't Eriksen play #10 at Spurs sometimes?

Bojan11

Where does this bollocks come from? I've seen it suggested by many people, so please don't think I'm calling you out on it as I know it's a widely held opinion... But really now, there's absolutely no way in modern football to play a #10? Why? What on earth has changed so much in the past year or two to render the likes of Dybala, Ozil & Coutinho obsolete?
Same here. Don’t get it.

4-4-2 was the formation most teams used in the past. 4-3-3 or some variation of it is mostly used now. You can easily fit in a number 10.

Zlatattack

I agree. I think plenty of teams play with a 10 and even when they don't these players can do a job as an attacking midfielder in 433. They just need to do a bit more of the defensive side of things too.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I agree. I think plenty of teams play with a 10 and even when they don't these players can do a job as an attacking midfielder in 433. They just need to do a bit more of the defensive side of things too.
& plenty of number 10s in recent years have done that. Coutinho & Oscar both put in a shift defensively. It's not like every #10 is Ozil levels of lazy on the press.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Given how furiously CAF masturbates over him, yes.

I don't think Allegri is the best manager for him though, a more attacking manager could make the hype justified.

cyberman

If he's Coutinho mark 2 that would still make him a vastly superior footballer to Jesse Lingard.
Sanchez is a vastly superior footballer to Lingard yet he can't play that role. Who the better footballer is has little bearing on Lingards role.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I haven't seen enough of him to comment but I'm not as impressed in the few times I've seen him.

Maybe he needs to be under a different type of manager.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would say that he is underrated by his own coach who puts everyone but him in an ideal context. Like others have suggested to me, he is a sort of Griezmann but Griezmann wouldn't have been himself if it wasn't for Simeone. For me the question is which manager is going to use him as he should be used?

Mcking

& Coutinho has performed a level or two above Lingard for both us & Barcelona. Granted, it's not going his way right now, but that's due to a manager not playing to his strengths in the slightest.

I really would like to know why the modern game is no longer suited to the classic #10. I just don't get it at all. It seems to be something that's happened in the last 1-2 seasons at most.

Edit: Doesn't Eriksen play #10 at Spurs sometimes?
I think the game is more frantic now and many teams are employing high pressing and counter attacking. Teams are moving away from formations and systems that require pure #10s. Even many of the teams that still use those formations play with 10s that offer various qualities in other aspects of the game rather than pure playmaking.
I think Tottenham play Alli as the 10 when they play 4-2-3-1- Eriksen has been playing a bit deeper.

thepolice123

They are not obsolete, just harder for them to shine.