Does anybody else feel Paolo Dybala is overrated?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I think the game is more frantic now and many teams are employing high pressing and counter attacking. Teams are moving away from formations and systems that require pure #10s. Even many of the teams that still use those formations play with 10s that offer various qualities in other aspects of the game rather than pure playmaking.
I think Tottenham play Alli as the 10 when they play 4-2-3-1- Eriksen has been playing a bit deeper.
So what you're suggesting is that #10s can still work, but they need to contribute a bit more to the team defensively than they did before? I'd agree with that. Coutinho was really good for us in that sense. He really put in a shift defensively.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Nope, definitely not overrated, IMO. A fabulously talented player who serves as a cautionary tale in mismanagement to those that surmise you can just plug any good attacker in a laissez-faire role and expect him to perform at an optimal level (which emerged as a theme during the Griezmann transfer mayhem). One of the best forward/second-striker/False-9s around but definitely not some sort of conventional wide attacker for extended periods of time. Also suffering a bit from Allegri's scheme and the presence of Cristiano (who's better with a more selfless striker like Mandzukić in that the latter can effectively pin opposition central defenders back).
He has three league goals in a weak league like Serie A with a team far stronger than any of the competition.
A blip in the grand scheme of things. Dybala has more Serie A goals than del Piero or Totti at the same age. Serie A defenses are weaker now, yes, but it's still a very healthy return.

cyberman

Why is being Coutinho's level suddenly a bad thing?
It's not level, it's the feeling of being out of place.
It's not even Coutinho, its that role of behind the striker that's becoming rarer and rarer. Unless you have fantastic movement and can help with the midfield press then your side is at a disadvantage these days. You need to be a 10 with the ball and a midfield three without.
Even Messi in Europe is experiencing this. I can't remember the last great big game we have seen from him since they last won it and its down to his role and lack of off the ball movement that's making it easier for the top sides to shut him down.
You need to play it like a Pogba / Griezmann or Dele Alli.

Trizy

It's not but they're luxury players in modern football. Because he's flashy he'd cost £100m like Coutinho, yet he's not worth near it if that makes sense.

You sacrifice team functionality to accommodate those two mentioned.

Mcking

So what you're suggesting is that #10s can still work, but they need to contribute a bit more to the team defensively than they did before? I'd agree with that. Coutinho was really good for us in that sense. He really put in a shift defensively.
He was playing as a wide forward and sometimes CM right?

Aloysius's Back 3

I have been thinking this for some time now and I saw somebody else say that in the Cristiano Ronaldo Juventus thread. I have been thinking this for some time. I also saw that questions are being asked among Juventus fans, although it seems the majority still like him based on this reddit thread but I still found it interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Juve/comments/at1brv/how_good_is_dybala_really/

I honestly just don't think he is as good as people say, and when I've seen him in the Champion's League he doesn't seem to impact the game the way you would expect given how people talk about him.

He has three league goals in a weak league like Serie A with a team far stronger than any of the competition.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/114863/MatchStatistics/Paulo-Dybala

I accept that it might just be me who thinks this but I am curious to see what this site thinks of him.
It's me who said it.

The guy is a good player but heavily overrated - constantly talked about the final piece in a puzzle like he is the man able to take a club to the next step.

1) He hardly has done anything of the sort for Juventus

2) clubs like Liverpool are urged to go after him whilst bypassing a player like firminh0 - a player that has allowed Liverpool to go up a level. Likewise United are urged to get him; but this is more due to the position he plays ie a support striker or a false nine instead of his actual performances & especially performances in big games.

3) this is my personal feeling & I mentioned this on the Ronaldo thread - the guy is riding on Messi being a wonderful player & I noticed that the moment he broke through. People were excited to see another Argentinan who has the capability to dribble & beat his defenders, has the ability to create chances for players around him or has the ability to finish off a move - playing in exactly the position that Messi did as a false nine during his prime years.

I see that hype for him at Juventus but most often at Argentina where he is viewed as the guy who should take some of the responsibilities of performance over from Messi - but what happens? - the lad is a failure.

The guy is a good player - but people talk about him as some 140 mil player when he has done absolutely nothing of the likes to promote such a big deal. He is nothing like Mbappe, nothing like griezmannn, nothing like neymar, nothing like the goats, nothing like salah etc - players that you feel the presence of them in big games & even if they don't perform they have a positive influence around players that play alongside them.

Dybala does nothing of the sort & is only performing a standard 20 goal seasons on the Serie A in his best seasons but hardly enables the team to step up a gear around him; only he stands out when he does. Plenty average players do this in the Serie A - acting like superstar strikers but they either can't step up in other competitions or other leagues.

I don't care if it sounds stupid - but the price tag of Dybala runs on him being Argentinan & the second best player Argentinan player that they have had during Messi's career. If the lad was any other nationality - he would be rated more closer to his ability & his price tag would be around 60 mil during a season he actually performed in.

Not a big game player.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
He was playing as a wide forward and sometimes CM right?
Yup. He was pretty good in CM, too. Would fly around the pitch, not afraid to get stuck in, & had much more vision playing forward passes than our other midfielders at the time.

Didn't rate him as much coming off the wings, but he never did terrible.

Skills

Snitch
If we're sticking with the false-9/diamond formation he'd be perfect for us.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nope, definitely not overrated, IMO. A fabulously talented player who serves as a cautionary tale to those that surmise you can just plug any good attacker in a laissez-faire role and expect him to perform at an optimal level (which emerged as a theme during the Griezmann transfer mayhem). One of the best forward/second-striker/False-9s around but definitely not some sort of conventional wide attacker for extended periods of time. Also suffering a bit from Allegri's scheme and the presence of Cristiano (who's better with a more selfless striker like Mandzukić in that the latter can effectively pin opposition central defenders back).

A blip in the grand scheme of things. Dybala has more Serie A goals than del Piero or Totti at the same age. Serie A defenses are weaker now, yes, but it's still a very healthy return.
I need your opinion about something, here is a formation that I have in mind that would fit with Ole's approach:

--------------Rashford
Martial------------------Dybala
---------Pogba-----Herrera
---------------Matic
Lucas----Lindelof---Bailly----Meunier
--------------De Gea

So the way I see it, it's an asymmetrical formation a little bit like Barcelona with Abidal, in attack the team plays with a back three and in defense with a back four, Meunier is a very attacking fullback so Dybala isn't required to hold the width and can stay close to Rashford, Herrera with LVG showed that he can play as a mezzala and if we add someone like Ndombélé(not necessarily him) this role could be ironed into the team. On the other side Pogba and Martial don't need support, they can create havoc as a duo and Rashford likes to drift on their side anyway.

Ekeke

Havent seen him much recently. Didnt think he was impressive against Atletico

From what I have seen in the past I'm not too convinced when he's playing from the right

Kag

Looks alright when I’ve watched him. Not the sort of player that makes you think ‘shit’ when he gets the ball, however. Therefore I can’t really comprehend the assertions that he’s some sort of missing puzzle piece at United. He’s no right winger, that’s for sure.

That said, I’d imagine he’d do a good job in the Lingard role we’ve been using. Albeit I don’t think he’d be that much better in comparison.

meamth

Where does this bollocks come from? I've seen it suggested by many people, so please don't think I'm calling you out on it as I know it's a widely held opinion... But really now, there's absolutely no way in modern football to play a #10? Why? What on earth has changed so much in the past year or two to render the likes of Dybala, Ozil & Coutinho obsolete?
Pace, power, vision & finesse. Pogba made them all obsolete. :devil:

Nick.

Looks alright when I’ve watched him. Not the sort of player that makes you think ‘shit’ when he gets the ball, however. Therefore I can’t really comprehend the assertions that he’s some sort of missing puzzle piece at United. He’s no right winger, that’s for sure.

That said, I’d imagine he’d do a good job in the Lingard role we’ve been using. Albeit I don’t think he’d be that much better in comparison.
Yes I could see him being an upgrade on Lingard in a diamond but still not a world class player yet.

Martial Rashford
Dybala
Pogba Herrera
Matic
Shaw Lindelöf Smalling Young
De Gea
Even then there would be questions over whether his movement would be good enough to make him better than Lingard, since movement is his greatest asset.

Mcking

Yup. He was pretty good in CM, too. Would fly around the pitch, not afraid to get stuck in, & had much more vision playing forward passes than our other midfielders at the time.

Didn't rate him as much coming off the wings, but he never did terrible.
Yes Coutinho did well in wide and deep positions. Pure 10s are really a dying breed. You don't see many pure advanced central playmakers like Totti, Ozil anymore. I feel top teams don't sign those kind of players as much as they used to. It is mostly wide and deep playmakers now, and most managers are now playing 433 which does not require one.

Untd55

I think it depends on how much of the player you have watched. The Champions League/World Cup/Euros are the only time I watch players outside the Premier League, and Dybala has not really been as outstanding as I expected. He is a good player, but he seems to be a bit forgettable.

There seem to be a few of these players, though. I have also found Lewandowski equally forgettable in these cups. There just seem to be these highly rated players who do not contribute much/stand out in major cup tournaments.

Perhaps they are just not big game players? Maybe they are just not great in Cups? Maybe they are only capable of performing in their weaker league?

Stacks

I have been thinking this for some time now and I saw somebody else say that in the Cristiano Ronaldo Juventus thread. I have been thinking this for some time. I also saw that questions are being asked among Juventus fans, although it seems the majority still like him based on this reddit thread but I still found it interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Juve/comments/at1brv/how_good_is_dybala_really/

I honestly just don't think he is as good as people say, and when I've seen him in the Champion's League he doesn't seem to impact the game the way you would expect given how people talk about him.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/114863/MatchStatistics/Paulo-Dybala

I accept that it might just be me who thinks this but I am curious to see what this site thinks of him.
no but I happen to miss the games that he plays well in.

vodrake

I think he's overrated on here, where basically any player that fans want gets hyped up to the point of ridiculousness, but probably rated about right elsewhere

Posh Red

It's not level, it's the feeling of being out of place.
It's not even Coutinho, its that role of behind the striker that's becoming rarer and rarer. Unless you have fantastic movement and can help with the midfield press then your side is at a disadvantage these days. You need to be a 10 with the ball and a midfield three without.
Even Messi in Europe is experiencing this. I can't remember the last great big game we have seen from him since they last won it and its down to his role and lack of off the ball movement that's making it easier for the top sides to shut him down.
You need to play it like a Pogba / Griezmann or Dele Alli.
He completely destroyed City about two years ago. Dominated the game from start to finish.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s fantastic but is utilised badly by Juventus.

Ekeke

For me he's much better than Lingard or Mata without any question whatsoever.

For a start he has 5 goals in 5 appearances in the champions league, in our group, including against us

Pogba is our top scorer in the competition with 2

He also has 2 goals and 1 assist in 6 games in his proper position centrally. Which is a decent return

Right wing he has 10 appearances, 0 goals and 1 assist so I think its clear that he's nowhere near as effective on the right side

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Sanchez is a vastly superior footballer to Lingard yet he can't play that role. Who the better footballer is has little bearing on Lingards role.
Not right now he isn't. If it was the Sanchez we saw at Arsenal it would matter little whether he could do Lingard's rule, you'd adapt to his quality.

Right now Sanchez is a horrible footballer, so Lingard is ahead of him. Dybala would start ahead of Lingard because he's still a much better footballer.

Hellboy

Juve are defensive and don’t play to his strenghts. He would be a hit on the right of Ole’s current system.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Not right now he isn't. If it was the Sanchez we saw at Arsenal it would matter little whether he could do Lingard's rule, you'd adapt to his quality.

Right now Sanchez is a horrible footballer, so Lingard is ahead of him. Dybala would start ahead of Lingard because he's still a much better footballer.
Only if they were to adapt their formation to fit him in, though. Playing 4-3-3 the way they do, I wouldn't consider Dybala a sure starter over Lingard on the right. That's not to say he isn't a vastly superior footballer, though.

Nor is it to suggest that he's overrated. He'd just not suit United currently, that's all.

Mainoldo

If you think he’s going to be one of the best players in the world, then yes he’s overrated.

Just looks good and people get that confused with the fact he has no xfactor. He’s stink up the place more than Mata if he came here.

lysglimt

Scout
Any player with 3 goals in 21 matches (this season) for Juventus is overrated

OverratedOpinion

That is what I was thinking, I would love Coutinho and Dybala at United.

As for whether Dybala is overrated it would depend how highly people rate him. He has basically got 1 in 2 for Juventus despite being part of a team that was built around getting goals for other players (first Higuain and now Ronaldo) and signing for them at a pretty young age. He also happens to be very creative and often sacrifices for his team.