Does anybody else feel Paolo Dybala is overrated?

Camilo

On one hand he'd be wonderful to have in a midfield 3 with Pogba and Matic/Herrera for "easy" games where we're expected to dominate and break the other team down...but on the other, where would you play him for the away game at PSG? Or against Liverpool? Surely you couldn't start with him, because his presence would have to involve a compromised Pogba role, and Pogba is a better player.

You can't spend 100+ million on a player that spends half the time on the bench. Ideally sure, you'd have him as an option (in the same way we had Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo and Berbatov as options), but no big team would spend that money for a bit part player.

Overrated for sure. Great player for sure.

He's a fantastic talent but I think it's fair to say he should have developed a bit further over the last 2 or 3 years. Feels like he has stagnated a bit.

Renegade

Slightly overrated but he is a fantastic and stylistically a beautiful player to watch. Him being really good looking with a cool name and marketable celebration does lead to him being somewhat overrated.

Thiagoal

Under new management Dybala could easily return to world class level! Just look at what people were saying about Pogba before 2 0LE GEND came back to our club!!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Where does this bollocks come from? I've seen it suggested by many people, so please don't think I'm calling you out on it as I know it's a widely held opinion... But really now, there's absolutely no way in modern football to play a #10? Why? What on earth has changed so much in the past year or two to render the likes of Dybala, Ozil & Coutinho obsolete?
True, centralised #10's represent a single point failure in a team if they are not performing as needed to justify the myriad of concessions needed to accommodate them and all the flaws inherent in all but the most absolutely special players for the position.

The majority of #10's are not top percentile across the attributes needed to thrive: where you have great passers, you don't tend to have great dribblers and vice-versa. If you're not a great dribbler, you are susceptible to the press and also reliant on combination passing and ball recycling to the point shrewd teams will start reading the out relays and intercepting them before swarming straight through the centre of the pitch exploiting the holes left by a team attempting a centralised build up. Most #10s of the traditional mold are also a defensive liability so it doubles up the issue of value to a team when to be optimised, so much has to go through them.

Besides which, it's so much easier to work and open teams up from the less congested areas out wide.

Even Messi has issues when playing straight through the middle as a #10, not that he can't do it, but rather, against better opposition it has no benefit over playmaking from the right.

I'm a real fan of the classic #10, but tactically and in game, things have to be too perfect for them to be practical - anything right through the heart of a team is now false #9 intended to throw the opposing backline into disarray, which is the antithesis of what a classic #10 does where he's the magnet the ball is supposed to come to and be played on to players further forward. If that's not working out, you have a passenger in a vital role, which is avoided like the plague.

MrBest

He scored 22 league goals last year, ronaldo came in this year and took his place. I dont buy the argument that he needs to play in the number 10, i could see him leading the line at many top clubs, replacing Augero at City too. Technically brilliant, good composure, maybe lacks a bit of pace but makes up for with movement and intelligence. I would take him over Lukaku any day of the week. I wouldnt even compare him to Lingard - different type of player.

King.of.Red

Hmm, I dont know if people overrate him but for me, he is very good player. Will be very happy to see him as United player. We can use formation like against Chelsea with him in Mata position, well, depending of our opponent.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

He is not at Coutinho's level, he's a clear step below that, comparing him to Griezmann is very insulting to the Frenchman because he's miles ahead of Dybala as a player.
Dybala might have looked like the next big thing 3 or 4 years ago but he hasn't developed to a point where you can call him world class and he's probably having his worst season for Juventus.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think the idea of him playing in midfield or replacing Lingard is totally misguided. He's a second striker. His best attributes are his ability to score goals in the final third - the Reddit comments from the OP on the Juve subsection basically echo this.

I've never really seen him as that good, for whatever it's worth.

Owen06

He is not at Coutinho's level, he's a clear step below that, comparing him to Griezmann is very insulting to the Frenchman because he's miles ahead of Dybala as a player.
Dybala might have looked like the next big thing 3 or 4 years ago but he hasn't developed to a point where you can call him world class and he's probably having his worst season for Juventus.
Since when has coutinho been better than dybala?
Dybala is way more dangerous for opponents than coutinho,whose not wordclass anyway.

OverratedOpinion

Well, it's too bad goals and performances from previous seasons don't amount to much in the current one. Still didn't amount to much in Europe when he had that great season.
Oh okay so everything he has ever done is essentially irrelevant because he has been sacrificed this season.

Your Isco comparison was a terrible one mate.

Mr PG

Has some neat skills but too immobile for modern football. Similar to James Rodriguez. Both well overrated.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was mint when he had Pogba behind him, as a second striker and a lone striker I think he's pretty damn good. Like Isco and Coutinho he's been shoehorned into positions that don't really suit his skill set, and his position has become a little obsolete in the last few years.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we're sticking with the false-9/diamond formation he'd be perfect for us.
This and this .
People don't realise it but we are currently one of the few top clubs that actually play a system where he fits.
At the moment we play with no central striker. We play with sort of a half central forward in Lingard and most recently Mata, whose allowed to come deep while Rashford drifits to the right or centrally at the last phase of play.
Dybala would ba a massive upgrade on Lingard in that system and Wes actually be playing him in his correct position.

Devil81

Dunno why but I get the feeling he'd end up similar to Mata come his early 30's.

I see him losing his mobility and having to rely on his football brain to get him through games.

I'm in the camp of slightly overrated as well.

Adisa

Only if they were to adapt their formation to fit him in, though. Playing 4-3-3 the way they do, I wouldn't consider Dybala a sure starter over Lingard on the right. That's not to say he isn't a vastly superior footballer, though.

Nor is it to suggest that he's overrated. He'd just not suit United currently, that's all.
We don't play 433 in the traditional sense. We play a sort of 3412./3322, when we have the ball anyway.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We don't play 433 in the traditional sense. We play a sort of 3412./3322, what ever they mean.
You meant 4312? I feel that it's a stretch even when Lingard is central, he plays as a forward in a 433. The 4312 has been seldomly used.

Adisa

You meant 4312? I feel that it's a stretch even when Lingard is central, he plays as a forward in a 433. The 4312 has been seldomly used.
Yeah. Burnley was perhaps the last time Lingard played as part of a front three imo. Admittedly, our shape is quite fluid.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah. Burnley was perhaps the last time Lingard played as part of a front three imo. Admittedly, our shape is quite fluid.
He only played two games since Burnley, one where he played deeper and the game against PSG he was clearly on the right side of a 433.

Adisa

He only played two games since Burnley, one where he played deeper and the game against PSG he was clearly on the right side of a 433.
I'll make a point of taking note. In the last few games, it seemed we had been playing with two further forward and one behind. I was very apprehensive for the PSG game so didn't not our shape.

rollingstoned1

he gives me the impression that he would really stink up the joint and be a square peg in a round hole in the PL if he ever moved here. Him and Isco both, even if his best attributes are in the penalty box and not in the build up. I haven't been THAT blown away by his 'tekkers' whenever I've seen him, most of his finest moments seem to be about him putting the ball in the back of the net which for some reason I find a little underwhelming for someone so highly rated who isn't supposed to just be a striker.

frookydinho

In Juves biggest game of the season where they nees as much attacking strength as possible hes on the bench?

Is he really as good as people say?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
In Juves biggest game of the season where they nees as much attacking strength as possible hes on the bench?

Is he really as good as people say?
When the tactic seems to be get it out wide & cross it towards the big men, playing a small(er) player doesn't make any sense.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Mandzukic is a better partner for Ronaldo and the way they play. That is the main reason.

Saying that, he is being misused by Allegri. He is a great player. Pogba should give him a call.

the_irish123

Can't he just be a nice player? Not everything has to be heaven or hell, black or white, underrated or overrated..

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I like him a lot as a player but this isn't the first big game he's been benched by Juve tbh.

Only scored 4 goals in Seria A all year so his production gone right down. Probably not a co-incidence with Ronaldo turning up.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I reckon he wouldn’t be rated as highly if he wasn’t as pretty as he is
I’d put him in a bracket similar to Isco and James. Both of whom are quite pretty too - you might be on to something.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
There is something sly about him. Don't know if it's his face, guile or conduct.