Does anyone else think Sánchez is like (peak) Rooney?

Eddy_JukeZ

Maybe I'm wrong but Sanchez might be like Rooney circa 2013/14. Under Moyes Rooney had his best PL season in terms of goals/assist per minutes, that is, a goal/assist every 90 min. He was already declining though. The stats were papering over the cracks and misled the club to offer him "that" contract.

Sanchez's stats last season were fantastic. He contributed a goal/assist in the PL every 93 min. But it is obvious that he's lost a yard of pace and doesn't impress me against good defenders. Huddersfield and Newcastle do not have good defenders. Remember what Sane did to them 3 weeks ago.

I'm probably wrong though because both Jose and Guardiola wanted him and they know much better than me. Still, City missed on him in August and lost only 2 pts in the league in the first half of the season. It was a blessing in disguise for them as Sterling and Sane managed to develop furhter as players.
I think that's harsh tbf.

I also don't know if he's lost a yard of pace. He outpaced Yedlin at 1 point today(who is no slouch). And Sanchez never had Bale/Ronaldo type speed anyways.

Eddy_JukeZ

Peak Rooney is a level above Peak Sanchez imo.

That's not an insult to Sanchez either. Rooney is underrated on here imo.

RC89

I suggested I found them similar, during his debut, though it was the way he plays the role, rather than consistency that I found comparable.
I'd agree with this, would like to give him more time and a proper season atleast before judging his consistency

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We could play him on the right though... he performed there before
We could but we probably never will because Sanchez must have had precise expectations of where to play and the role he was given. Playing right now on the right side would feel accomodating him for Martial and I'm sure he'll never accept that. You don't get a player like him, give those wages to shift him to a position in order for another player to feel fine.
It'd be the wisest thing to do to put on the right but so far it hasn't been considered

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He reminds me of Rooney in a way how he presses to win the ball back and how he shows so much urgency in his game.

Rasfene

Rooney can shoot and head far better than him. He also has more bulk and can muscle his way through some weak defenders. Rooney can do one two passing pretty well.

Sanchez is better at dribbling and he looks more enthusiastic I guess.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I didn't agree with the OP back when the thread is made, and still don't think they share much similarities, but their movement in attack is pretty much very similar in a way that they both like to ruin fluidity of any attack and run around occupying positions they really shouldn't be doing. Rooney wanted to be a playmaker whenever we used him as forward, and Sanchez is pretty much the same in that regard. When Lukaku comes back to pick up the ball, and play one-two with Pogba or whoever Sanchez really shouldn't be staying anywhere near those players and should try to stay higher centrally, keep the oppo back line on their toes, and try to run behind the defence. But instead he is coming back pretending to be another playmaker when there is no pressure and just makes it too crowdy in the midfield and we don't really create anything attack after attack. We really aren't going to improve at all from attacking point of view with forward who pretends to be a playmaker he really isn't, if we keep using him like this. If he can't play as a forward/winger, then this is another pointless signing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's a good comparison regarding the moment to moment inconsistency. I was actually wrong about Sanchez in that I wasn't aware of the inconsistencies in his game and mostly based my view of hid impact moments. He does have that similarity with Rooney except he's a lot more inconsistent IMO and Rooney despite of them was a top top player.

However, I don't agree that Rooney hindered fluid football. In fact unlike Sanchez he created/aided it hugely IMO.

kidbob

Lock this abomination of a thread. Rooney at his peak hindered nothing about our play. He's twice the player Sanchez has ever been. Feck off with this shit. This team could do with a bloody peak Rooney right now, De Gea is the only player we have that is on that level.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Past his best but on a massive contract with us is the closest comparison to Rooney.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sanchez is like a fast declining Rooney that nobody wants.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I didn't agree with the OP back when the thread is made, and still don't think they share much similarities, but their movement in attack is pretty much very similar in a way that they both like to ruin fluidity of any attack and run around occupying positions they really shouldn't be doing. Rooney wanted to be a playmaker whenever we used him as forward, and Sanchez is pretty much the same in that regard. When Lukaku comes back to pick up the ball, and play one-two with Pogba or whoever Sanchez really shouldn't be staying anywhere near those players and should try to stay higher centrally, keep the oppo back line on their toes, and try to run behind the defence. But instead he is coming back pretending to be another playmaker when there is no pressure and just makes it too crowdy in the midfield and we don't really create anything attack after attack. We really aren't going to improve at all from attacking point of view with forward who pretends to be a playmaker he really isn't, if we keep using him like this. If he can't play as a forward/winger, then this is another pointless signing.
Rooney hindering football is just a ridiculous thing to say. His whole game at his peak was getting the team to play.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Peak Rooney? Top 3 in the world.

I'm guessing the OP meant 'late-stage' Rooney?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Peak Rooney? Top 3 in the world.

I'm guessing the OP meant 'late-stage' Rooney?
Rooney's best 3 year period was 2009-2012 for me, and in 09/10 he was one of the truly elite players. Sánchez was close to that last season but not quite there.

The point I was making was not about their quality but about their style and deficiencies. During that 3 year period Rooney had a lot of ups and downs. I actually think he was better in the calendar year of 2011 than he was in any other year - the perfect blend of forceful creativity and explosive goalscoring. But in the first half of the 2010/11 season, right in the middle of his career peak, he managed just 1 goal in the PL and 1 in the CL.

I'm not sure why this kind of thing is being whitewashed now. Rooney was one of the streakiest elite players around and his bottom level was very low even when he was in the peak of his career. During that time he destroyed lots of attacks and failed to strike up a lasting partnership with any other forward - solo in 09/10, with Berbatov in 10/11 and with Welbeck in 11/12. They all burned brightly but never lasted.

09/10 was the only time in his career he really excelled as a lone forward. The rest of the time he struggled periodically and was moved around the forward positions. That was in large part because of his need to be at the centre of things, despite not being the most reliable player to conduct play. At his best he did it very well but there were too many periods where he wasn't at his best, and we couldn't put him at the centre of the game. So he was pushed out wide left, or he was pushed right up top, or he was dropped a little deeper, and he was visibly uncomfortable with that but it was better for the team.

Sánchez poses a lot of the same problems. It's not clear what his best position is, it's not clear what kind of role he should take between playmaker and scorer, and it's not clear what to do with him when he's screwing up so many basic moves. Sir Alex tried all sorts of things with Rooney but never stumbled upon a perfect formula. When it got really bad, like at the beginning of 10/11 when his head was elsewhere, he just dropped him. He was that bad.

This idea that Sánchez is someone you can always rely upon is weird, but the idea that Rooney was always reliable is even weirder. We all watched and discussed his many low points.

Greck

Thread should be 'past his peak' rooney who was still very effective. I feel Sanchez is still a joy to watch but clearly isn't in his peak anymore.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's a good comparison regarding the moment to moment inconsistency. I was actually wrong about Sanchez in that I wasn't aware of the inconsistencies in his game and mostly based my view of hid impact moments. He does have that similarity with Rooney except he's a lot more inconsistent IMO and Rooney despite of them was a top top player.

However, I don't agree that Rooney hindered fluid football. In fact unlike Sanchez he created/aided it hugely IMO.
I suspect many did. There's a reason he flopped at Barca.

Rasfene

Rooney can actually shoot very well during his peak. Shoozing 19-20/20 near the box.

Rooney can aggressively push thro opponents like Lukaku in his peak.

Rooney can pass very well. He seldom do lobs.

Toad

Peak Rooney is a class above Sanchez! Actually help the team out aswell.

Shouldn’t have signed him, he is not what we needed and has unbalanced the team even more, potentially forcing out other player.

Crashoutcassius

I don't know who sold him as that to You, my friend an arsenal fan said he's greatly but gives the ball away a lot. Maybe nobody was really listening

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
He's been a massive disappointment. Like most of the established super stars we've ever signed.

Veron, Blanc, Barthez, Di Maria, Falcao, Pogba and now Sanchez.

Zlatan and Van Der Saar probably the only successful ones I can remember.

wolvored

Rooney was mainly excellent until he got injured against Bayern, cant remember the year. After that he went into a slow decline. Sanchez is past his best. He will have good matches, but it looks like he will have plenty inefficient ones as well. Rooney played with WC players here. Apart from De Gea, sadly we havent got that standard of player any more.

Treble

Sanchez did very well vs City but his transfer was probably a mistake, given that he turns 30 in 8 months and earns more than virtually any other player not named Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar. Jose saved Guardiola from a big mistake as Sanchez would have benched Sane/Sterling/Jesus and block their further development, not to mention Bernardo. You don't know what you lose, when you win (a transfer battle).

Schneckerl

Hahaha you wish. He's the 2016 version of Rooney, collecting fat checks for showing up once a month.

Jig1234

The signing was nothing but opportunism. Bar the second half vs City. All he does is moan and give the ball away. Arsenal got the better deal as it stands. I think his arrival has made the balance of the team worse. Performances are hit and miss. It was not great before but you'd expect Mourinho to have a plan if he was making such a big signing in the January window.

Rashford, Martial were in and out of the side. Lingard was doing well. I thought Sanchez was coming to give us RW option. Not really sure what to make of him. I find him to be frustrating to watch. Is he that much better than Rashford or Martial at the moment? - Everyone looks pretty awful.

To answer the original question. No. He is nothing like Peek Rooney. He doesn't look that much better than Mkhitaryan.

pascell

One of Rooneys best traits was how much of a team player he was, he was such an unselfish player. Rooney in his prime was world class, a joy to watch.

Unfortunately, I think we've signed Sanchez who's just going over the hill, not quite there. Yesterday he was frustrating to watch, gave the pass which he should have done three touches earlier, stood around and refused to give any width and cramped up the central part of the pitch.

Murray3007

Looks more like a off peak Rooney then a Peak Rooney. a summer off will do him the world off good to refresh his batterys. hopefully comes back from it looking refreshed and with a point to prove as he was quality at Arsenal, but so far he seems to have created more problems for us then answers.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He's been a massive disappointment. Like most of the established super stars we've ever signed.

Veron, Blanc, Barthez, Di Maria, Falcao, Pogba and now Sanchez.

Zlatan and Van Der Saar probably the only successful ones I can remember.
Van Persie, and Berbatov wasn't as bad a flop as some make out, though I don't suppose you can call him an unqualified success.

Even at his peak Rooney could be streaky, which I guess is what the Op is getting at. However peak Rooney was a superb player, Sanchez hasn't been halfway as good for us.

ROFLUTION

He's still class. In time he'll live up to expectations. Just needs some games this season, a good break and a good pre-season.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Peak Rooney was much better imho.

It's almost a shame Rooney didn't leave a bit sooner, really seems to have tainted his legacy. Rooney was fecking fantastic in his day. Not saying Sanchez isn't a great player, but he's not peak Rooney level, at all.

Stu1975

Peak Rooney is a level above Peak Sanchez imo.

That's not an insult to Sanchez either. Rooney is underrated on here imo.
I agree with this,Rooney pulled us through a season one year.

I think he’s underrated by many a Utd supporter but I guess that threat to move on and a bigger contract didn’t help him with fans but he was great for us.