Does anyone set our managers a target/goal?

Skills

Snitch
I've been thinking about this - do our managers know what's expected of them going into a season? It seems like Moyes was in shock, that he got sacked after finishing 7th and LVG himself was shocked that he got sacked after finishing 5th?

Do they just get to set their targets on their own accord? Do they know what their minimum target is for a given season? Ole just a week came out with, that this season is for judging who's going to stay next season. Who's given him the authority, to set that as this season's goal?

I guess because Fergie was here for so long, it didn't really matter so he could do as he please. And he was too ambitious to settle for anything less than a title anyway. But that also explains our lack of success in Europe - did anyone ever push him to deliver another European title?

Skills

Snitch
It’s usually top four, regardless of how good/poor we have looked getting there
Then why were Moyes and LVG so surprised that they were sacked? Surely it was clear to them, what they had to deliver. And if they failed to deliver it they would lose their jobs?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Then why were Moyes and LVG so surprised that they were sacked? Surely it was clear to them, what they had to deliver. And if they failed to deliver it they would lose their jobs?
I think they just kind of faked it instead of admitting they didn't deliver. I guess with LVG it felt a bit bitter since we won our first Fa cup in ages and were only 1 place behind 4th. But with the money he spent expecting 4th was not too much to ask.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
There must be clauses in the contracts. However, I think professional pride outweighs any target or goal.

Amerifan

There are bonuses for reaching certain goals, such as making and winning the CL. A clause such “CL or the contract is terminated”, even if present, would likely be unenforceable because so much is out of the managers hands.

spiriticon

To be honest, I think the years of poor buys and manager sackings have ridden roughshot over the team quality and confidence.

The squad Fergie left behind in 2013, even with it's failings at CM, is MILES better and more balanced than the one we have currently.

A Top 4 target now would be difficult for any manager that isn't named Pep or Klopp.