Does anyone still see potential for Lukaku?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Look at the difference in chances Lukaku gets compared to Zlatan had and you see why his lack of chances is in great part down to himself and his lack of movement. Top drawer strikers produce goals from moments on their own also, which Lukaku pretty much never does. When has he managed to get the ball, do a little shimmy to find half a yard and tuck the ball home? In those tight games, we need a forward who can do that regularly.
Saints. 2 goals like that.
He has his flaws but it is amazing how underrated he is by United fans.

manutddjw

If I’m being honest and we went into the season with Rashford and Lukaku as our strikers and made it an open competition I think Lukaku would win that and he’d be our starter. No idea what the plans are and not getting involved with tweets from randoms, but it is inexcusably negligent to go into next season relying on Rashford and possibly Sanchez to be our strikers.

Needham

Saints. 2 goals like that.
He has his flaws but it is amazing how underrated he is by United fans.
Most are clear on his strengths. It's just that people are uncomfortable with limited natural talents representing the club, as they were with Fellaini. You can get away with such players in a winning era (Park actually added value). But when things are a mess, Lukaku types symbolize the chaos and are bound to draw fire.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Regardless of which club he's playing for next season, I don't think anyone would be massively surprised if he finished as the league's top scorer or scored 35 goals in all competitions. For all his weaknesses as a footballer, there's not many players in the world you could say the same for.

markhrad

One of the worse jobs in football is being Utd's no9. After Fergie left our no9s all failed with the exception of Zlatan. I think its because of a lack of service, first Rooney stopped linking up with them preferring to shove the ball to the Right wing and now we have Rashford's shoot on sight philosophy. Pogba if he played higher up would probably link up successfully with Lukaku but his present position tends to result in longer through passes.
Only Zlatan got proper service and I believe it was due to his intimidating personality.
Like Pogba, Lukaku plays best when surrounded by very good players. He may be a little clumsy but he has all the other attributes that can make him a great No 9 ( big, strong, fast, 2-footed and decent header of the ball ), if used properly.
I believe going into the next season with Rashford as our main striker would be disastrous. The Glazers need to be pressured to spend money on bringing in top players rather than selling the few that we have but they have never been concerned about club success, and they probably don't give a crap about football.

eltigreFalcao

Lukaku can still potentially spearhead uniteds front three imo. Fact is, there's been years we haven't seen a proper attacking strategy anywhere near OT. With proper structure, i believe we're only lacking a RW that excels.

btw you can have diferent types of CF for diferent moments of the game/opposition teams. I'm convinced that with minded rotation Lukaku, Martial, Rashford and even Sanchez can be effective in the center of attack. Team is not well connected, otherwise we'd be in a very different position and wouldn't be thinking of selling 15 and buying 10 players. That's nonesense

redIndianDevil

Not really. He'd be good if we are stacked in defence and midfield but current situation he creates a lot more problems than he solves some.

He cannot hold up the ball. This so something lower premier league club strikers do naturally. He doesn't improve this either. He cannot expect make runs or play off the shoulders of defenders at top clubs as he'd be facing deep defences most of the time.

His touch is appalling. He doesn't seem to improve this either despite this being clear to anyone who watches him play so he must know that that is a huge problem.

His general passing and movement is also average at best and erratic at worst. He doens't seem to work hard like Firmino or has the ability to drop deep and make passes like Kane.

But our biggest problem is, he is the still the best striker at the club. I don't think Rashford has a higher ceiling than Lukaku. I'm for selling Lukaku but we have to buy another capable striker. We cannot head into a season with just Rashford as our striker.

meamth

During our most successful eras, our front man was always the complete player.

Lukaku seems very unlikely to be that kind of player. Technique is naturally gifted or drilled from teenage years, he is not a teenager anymore.

Lukaku's potential are finished, he is at his prime age of a striker. He is what he is, a weird hybrid of no.9 and old school english target man (without great technique).

Stacks

Regardless of which club he's playing for next season, I don't think anyone would be massively surprised if he finished as the league's top scorer or scored 35 goals in all competitions. For all his weaknesses as a footballer, there's not many players in the world you could say the same for.
He has scored 20 league goals in the EPL once.......

SapperBRed75

Yes. He’s got one or two (frequently discussed) areas that can be improved upon, but with intelligent, effective coaching and a system which supports him from a service standpoint - I think he is a good, sometimes great option. Certainly in a team competing for top 4 and playing Europa League.

Ishpan2

Lukaku is a good striker when he isn't asked to create as much himself and instead gets passed into 1-1 situations. That requires creative wingers who are also goal threats; we don't have that, so Lukaku stays alone in the box surrounded by 3 defenders.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I would literally fall off my chair if he gets 35 goals in a top league.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
During our most successful eras, our front man was always the complete player.

Lukaku seems very unlikely to be that kind of player. Technique is naturally gifted or drilled from teenage years, he is not a teenager anymore.

Lukaku's potential are finished, he is at his prime age of a striker. He is what he is, a weird hybrid of no.9 and old school english target man (without great technique).
Andy Cole was far from the complete player when he arrived but his touch, awareness and all round game improved immeasurably between '95 and '99.

Lukaku, by comparison, has actually regressed. For a high-grade athlete, he's not even physically fit, let alone technically any better.

Meep

Sadly for Lukakus part, I think it is not a question of talent but it is lack of motivation (not playing with real heart in it). This has made him put on some weight and with small margins this has made him look like an amateur with his first touches, not getting the timing right. This has also made him stress his finishes. I do not think he will get his mind back but he is a lost cause. Sell recommended.

TRUERED89

Martinez comments recently about "Its the right time for Lukaku to leave Man United" really annoyed me. Not only should you not comment publicly about Man United and a transfer of a player, but you make it seem like United are holding Lukaku back from success! GTFOH. Anywhere he goes now will be a downgrade for him so both need to watch their gobs, he's in the best league in the world earning 220k p/w show some humility, if he's happy with a squad role then he's a decent option against the bus parkers and physical teams.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A sub to who? Rashford? Martial?

Hes the best we have, maybe not great but unless you are bringing in a top striker then letting him go is madness.
I do agree with this.
I don't like it when Lukaku plays (for reasons which were mentioned throughout last season), but he is still better than our other attackers, at putting the ball in the back of the net. And lest we forget, the aim of football is quite literally to score goals (more than your opponent).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If a fit and confident lukaku played for the current Liverpool side, you would see his true potential.
The fitness issue was caused by Lukaku himself.
You are making out as if there people around him who asked/demanded that he become fat and unfit.
Personally, I think he is just growing into his natural frame and it will be very difficult for him to become a fit footballer. Some people have a physique which is naturally slim and athletic (eg. Vardy), while some like Lukaku are heavy, power-houses. Even without doing weights, the guy would be big and his arms/legs would be bigger than most people who do weight train.

Even if he were at LFC, he'd face exactly the same issue (of being too heavy to run for 90 minutes). The excess weight can be absolutely debilitating. If you don't believe me, try running as normal for 5-10 minutes. Then put a rucksack with a 15kg weight in it and then see how long you last.

Amir

Andy Cole was far from the complete player when he arrived but his touch, awareness and all round game improved immeasurably between '95 and '99.

Lukaku, by comparison, has actually regressed. For a high-grade athlete, he's not even physically fit, let alone technically any better.
He did regress, but is it about him or about the team and coaching staff? What players have improved while playing for United in recent years?

That's the annoying part. Rashford, Martial, Bailly, Pogba, Lukaku - I really believe we had a bunch of terrific young players, some closer to the finished article, others less, but botched it up.