Does anyone think there is a genuine and achievable end goal or are we just hoping for the best?

fastwalker

I get the fact the SAF can never be replicated or replaced. I also get the fact the transition from SAF to whatever the 'new normal' will inevitably be will take time, with ups and downs along the way. I get the fact that United have to rebuild the squad to be competitive and I also get the fact that other teams with investment, good management and ambition will create a hyper-competitive environment. But even with all that I do not get where we are going as a club.

With probably the best squad since the departure of SAF and just a quarter of the season gone, we are already for all intents and purposes out of the title race and fighting for a top four place. If progress is measured in terms of squad depth, we are accelerating forward, but if it is measured in terms of performances, results and fan confidence then we are going backwards.

There is always the risk that as fans, we will be accused of being hyperbolic, but if it were just about the loss to City that would be one thing. However, we know only too well that it is not.

Does anyone actually think that there is a genuine and achievable end goal here, or under the current ownership and management are we just hoping for the best?

Revan

Assumptionman
You need to be fully an ‘indefinite optimist’ to think that this is found to end well. There is no plan, so of course, it will end badly.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Win games. Thats the goal. Which means the manager has to find a way to get the best out of what he has and find better players if possible and needed. Thats all. Win games, small games, big games.

Robertd0803

Its seems to more a case of hoping to avoid the worst instead of hoping for the best lately.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Get a world class manager in his prime and we are on the right track. Our squad still isn't all that. We have to upgrade Mcfred.

Dante

Average bang
All the best managers in the world are in secure jobs. So we're aiming to bring in somebody new at the start of next season.

I think the club wants to avoid hiring a caretaker with 7 months left to the end of the season. That length of time is a bit risky for somebody who isn't otherwise good enough for the permanent role.

Obviously, at this point, it looks like Ole isn't good enough for the permanent job either. But the club will be mindful that it's only been a few months since he finished 2nd in the league and got to the EL final. So he's not a totally useless manager. He's just running on fumes at this moment and the board is hoping he can last a final few more miles before the engine finally conks out.

I think most fans agree we've already reached that point. But I'm assuming the board want to avoid the mistakes they made with LvG and Mourinho when we appointed based on the managers' past glories rather than how well they'd be able to handle their future squads.

So United are seemingly taking their time to find the right options.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You need to see progression in a team with any manager.

Last season just about came out as that, although with caveats of Liverpool dropping off a cliff, and Chelsea not getting their act together for half a season. All in the context of a weird covid season packed into a month fewer than most seasons.

However, there's always been that feeling that we don't actually have a proper style of play, and that it's just relying on class players most of the time.

Whereas Klopp and Guardiola bedded in their styles fairly quickly and then it was a case of getting the right players for it.
Even Van Gaal bedded in a very definite style, that had its moments, but he backed the wrong players and had a dreadful recruitment.

Unfortunately, we're a bit screwed right now and what we're clearly hoping is that we can still grab the minimum result of 4th, and then try and get a new manager in the summer. Basically writing off 3/4 of the season.

julianfr

I guess it's stick with Ole until the wheels come off... And then the next manager and so on and so on.

Our board have no idea who to get that suits our style of play so get used to it. I missed today's game and couldn't be ar5ed. We lost. So what. Same old same old.